[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Has someone installed 10.8.3 yet? Any problems?

Installed 10.8.3, Used appstore to download. Then navigated to Library:updates:OSXUpd10.8.3.pkg

Ran it manually.

rebuilt cache with DD script.

and its working as per normal.

I did it as always from the "software update menu" and no problem at all.Reboot,no kernel panics , no issues.

Maj is an artist,amazing script.

I have been using it for ages (from the very beginning) and never had the chance to say it public.Great work.

P.S : I run the chimera 2.0.1.pkg after the update, reboot and imessages working now fine as well.

HI all,

I was running 10.6.8 without any issue and decided to install Mountain Lion on my EX58-UD5.

I made a fresh install on an empty hard drive, using script 7.1 and all default values and faced a strange problem during the installation process: I successfully created a Mac OS X Base System boot disk on an USB HDD and installed from there 10.8.0 on my new hard disk.

But a the end of the installation, before the first reboot, I was unable to launch the script. Typing hackinstaller leads to an error saying the file system was read only.

I finally installed the kexts (menu #3) from my running 10.6 system onmy 10/8 hdd and successfully got a working 10.8.0 system. :)

I then installed the 10.8.3 combo update, and rerun the script as described by arobasefr hereabove.

So now I have working system, except for sleep:

Originally, sleep was not working: I got a black screen but the fans where still on.

So (as suggested in some previous posts) I removed NullCPUPowerManagement, reinstalled kext and rebuilt cache.

Now the system is correctly going to sleep (black screen + fan off) but when I hit the keyboard to wake up the machine, it reboots.

I tried to install the sleepenabler, but I only get a crash at startup (as if I used a wrong pmVersion= parameter. Maybe this is the cause of the problem, I did not set any pmVersion, should I set a specific value ?)

Any idea on how getting sleep working on my system ?

Thanks

Thanks guys for your quick responses regarding the 10.8.3 update. I just installed it via software update, restarted and everything is fine. I didn't even rebuild the kernel cache or anything. I am using Clover as bootloader and as far as I understand, Clover is loading my kexts.

@iCore: I can only recommend my method. Using only FakeSMS and IONetworkingFamily kexts and the patched DSDT. Sleep and audio etc is working with that DSDT. See link in my sig.

Have you tried checking "Start up automatically after power failure" in Energy Saving prefs?

Strangely I do not have this option :blink:

In the pref pane for Energy Saving, I only have "put hard disk to sleep", "wake for network access" and "allow power button to put computer to sleep"

Hi MAJ,

good to see that you're still in the game ;)

As I wrote above, I switched to the Clover bootloader that gives me 'insanely' fast boot times. You should dig into that and add it to your script if possible. I feel that this is going to be the future ;)

Has someone installed 10.8.3 yet? Any problems?

@TeraHz: Have you tried Cruisar's DSDT (link in my sig). Sleep is working fine for me with that DSDT.

Good Day,

I too am using the Cruisar's DSDT but I cant seem to get audio working without the kexts with mountain lion. I can boot into the system but no audio shows at all, I have to use my imic. Any suggestions would be great. I am going to play with clover today as I have time, so if that seems to fix it I appologize for not tinkiering first. Hope all is well.

Hello all,

I messed around in my BIOS and Hard Drive setup (repartitioned and cloned a Windows drive - didn't touch Mountain Lion) and I somehow managed to lose the option to restart automatically after power failure. This now breaks sleep on my setup.

I'm at a loss as to what happened here and I can't seem to figure out how to recover the option. If anybody has any pointers, please let me know.

While attempting to fix this:

1. I updated to the latest Chimera

2. I didn't touch my dsdt.aml (I'm using one similar to Cruisar)

3. I didn't touch my smbios.plist

4. I did reinstall FakeSMC

I also recently upgraded to 10.8.3...

I keep a spare Mountain Lion partition for testing purpose. Since someone was encouraging us to try Clover, I did it a go. I followed the instructions I could find on the web the best I could but I end up with a kernel panic on boot (I copied over my dsdt.aml and configured my smbios settings to match what I already had in Chimera). If someone here had some success with it, perhaps it would be a good idea to share a couple of pointers, especially if you are using a heavily patched dsdt to minimize the number of kext you have to load. Couple of specific questions:

1. Are you letting clover generate the P and C states?

2. Have you been messing with custom UUID?

3. What SystemParemeters are you using?

4. If you have a dsdt configured, are you leaving the FixDsdtMask = 0x0 as is or should it be removed?

Clover look very promising so I will attempt to troubleshoot my install further when I get a chance (the first step will be to try to catch which kext is causing the KP before the system reboot). Any pointers to kickstart my clover learning process will be very much appreciated...

Hi,

I have updated my system to 10.8.3 using the combo updater. I also got an error message at the end of the install. but rebuilding caches using

the script and the install is happy. My system uses dsdt patching and native hda for 2.0 audio all works with 10.8.3.

I had to reapply my patch for non apple trim support using Chameleon SSD Optimizer.

also had to re-edit AppleGPUPowerManagement to re-enable best GPU performance.

Geekbench and Cinebench score, no real differecne from 10.8.2

Thanks

Jon

iCore, check this post from d00d: http://www.insanelym...40#entry1317225

If you don't want to patch your DSDT, maybe there's kext for that out there? I'm not sure because cruiSAr included that in his DSDT ;)

Thanks for the link.

I took your advice and grabbed d00d DSDT (As I have a i7 920 running at 2.6Ghz I used the DSDT.aml file from DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip from d00d's topic).

Then, using MAJ hackinstaller script, I added the following kexts: (Maybe all of them are not useful, advice welcome)

Misc_Patches:

• Fake SMC (mandatory)
  • AppleRTC (without this one, I had CMOS reset when restarting)

Networking:

• IONetworkingFamily

Audio: (With this config and d00d's DSDT I have audio through the "internal speaker" device)

• ALC885_889a
  • AppleHDA
  • HDAEnabler

Ata:

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (??)
  • JMicron36xeSATA (probably useless as I do not have any SATA device plugged on the JMicron ports)

With all of this, I am running 10.8.3 fine: Network is OK, Sound is OK, Sleep, Power Off and Restart are ok.

But in the power management control panel, I still don't have the "Start up automatically after power failure" option :D

I have been scratching my head of late. Im trying to setup a friends old GA EX58-UD5 mobo with 6gb RAM and i7 920 with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 App store d/l. He has a GTX580. Ive used the scripted boot disk install described by DD to the latter.

I can get to an install but sadly NOT to a [sUCCESS] reboot without the GFX card / monitor going to black screen. Ive attempted all the combinations of -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 and 0x3000, PCIRootUID=0 (and 1) and many times Ive got to the stage where it seems to flick to a bootup screen (from verbose) but the monitor just switches off/hangs?

Now the only odd thing about this mobo is the firmware is that its F12 and everyone here talks about F9. Should I downgrade?

WD SATA 2 TB drive (split partitioned) is on the blue 0/1 ports - bios has been set as everyone seems to recommend.

Firmware v12 talks about either using the GFX card on PCI, PCIE x16, x8, x4. I left it on PCIE x16.

Questions:

Has anyone got a walkthru?

Is the GTX580 an impossible GFX card to install on? (I got it to work on a z77 mobo as test after doing an internl GFX install and swap out to the GTX580, but the GA x58 UD5 as you know doesnt have an Internal GFX.

Issit the Hard drive?

Change the firmware?

What is normally wrong when the monitor when it just switches off? (It does get past PCI Configuration /AppleCPUPowerManagement, etc.. and then switches off.)

Im ready to crush his motherboard with my boot.

I have been scratching my head of late. Im trying to setup a friends old GA EX58-UD5 mobo with 6gb RAM and i7 920 with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 App store d/l. He has a GTX580. Ive used the scripted boot disk install described by DD to the latter.

I can get to an install but sadly NOT to a [sUCCESS] reboot without the GFX card / monitor going to black screen. Ive attempted all the combinations of -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 and 0x3000, PCIRootUID=0 (and 1) and many times Ive got to the stage where it seems to flick to a bootup screen (from verbose) but the monitor just switches off/hangs?

Now the only odd thing about this mobo is the firmware is that its F12 and everyone here talks about F9. Should I downgrade?

WD SATA 2 TB drive (split partitioned) is on the blue 0/1 ports - bios has been set as everyone seems to recommend.

Firmware v12 talks about either using the GFX card on PCI, PCIE x16, x8, x4. I left it on PCIE x16.

Questions:

Has anyone got a walkthru?

Is the GTX580 an impossible GFX card to install on? (I got it to work on a z77 mobo as test after doing an internl GFX install and swap out to the GTX580, but the GA x58 UD5 as you know doesnt have an Internal GFX.

Issit the Hard drive?

Change the firmware?

What is normally wrong when the monitor when it just switches off? (It does get past PCI Configuration /AppleCPUPowerManagement, etc.. and then switches off.)

Im ready to crush his motherboard with my boot.

I'm running F13 on my ud5 with GTX 580. Have not upgraded to 10.8.3 yet. What boot loader are you using? If you're using Chameleon, make sure it's a newer version if you're using graphics enabler=yes. I inject via DSDT. I had a similar problem with the 580 going to black when I first installed it. My solution was to update graphics section of dsdt to include "NVDA,Parent". There is a good guide for dsdt injection and this video card here.

http://rampagedev.wo...rd-into-a-dsdt/

I use d00d's dsdt for native power management here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

I'm running F13 on my ud5 with GTX 580. Have not upgraded to 10.8.3 yet. What boot loader are you using? If you're using Chameleon, make sure it's a newer version if you're using graphics enabler=yes. I inject via DSDT. I had a similar problem with the 580 going to black when I first installed it. My solution was to update graphics section of dsdt to include "NVDA,Parent". There is a good guide for dsdt injection and this video card here.

http://rampagedev.wo...rd-into-a-dsdt/

I use d00d's dsdt for native power management here.

http://www.insanelym...-modifications/

Excellent - Ill take a look at this. In answer to your question I used the last option in Hackinstaller - the Chimera boot loader (as it states better support of the Nvidia 5xxx cards).

The weird thing is I can install with the 580 no probs but was going to black on boot up. I actually got round the '1st boot up after install' by dropping in an old radeon gfx, booting with -v GraphicsEnabler=No. Ran Hackinstaller going thru steps 3 to 5 inc the dsdt. Plist edited the boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Shutdown. Swapped out the Radeon with the GTX 580 and rebooted on the drive. Everything's fine apart from when I shutdown the computer never actually switches off after killing the drives. I have to press down the power button for a few seconds.Which kext will fix this? (Ive installed the kexts EXACTLY as Digital Dreamer's Mountain Lion kext pack hack installer into /Extra - with the only kext going into S/L/E is AppleHDA.kext)

Thanks for the help.

Digital Dreamer's vanilla dsdt patch - what exactly does it patch? Also whats the benefits of Firmware F13?

Excellent - Ill take a look at this. In answer to your question I used the last option in Hackinstaller - the Chimera boot loader (as it states better support of the Nvidia 5xxx cards).

The weird thing is I can install with the 580 no probs but was going to black on boot up. I actually got round the '1st boot up after install' by dropping in an old radeon gfx, booting with -v GraphicsEnabler=No. Ran Hackinstaller going thru steps 3 to 5 inc the dsdt. Plist edited the boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Shutdown. Swapped out the Radeon with the GTX 580 and rebooted on the drive. Everything's fine apart from when I shutdown the computer never actually switches off after killing the drives. I have to press down the power button for a few seconds.Which kext will fix this? (Ive installed the kexts EXACTLY as Digital Dreamer's Mountain Lion kext pack hack installer into /Extra - with the only kext going into S/L/E is AppleHDA.kext)

Thanks for the help.

Digital Dreamer's vanilla dsdt patch - what exactly does it patch? Also whats the benefits of Firmware F13?

I haven't had much luck with kexts going in /Extra. I have everything going in to S/L/E.

Haven't seen much of a difference in F13, and haven't had any problems with F12 or F13.

Again, might want to download d00d's dsdt and give that run, fixed many of my demons for this board.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I go about updating Chameleon used by this script? It looks like the update feature fails because the server is either offline or inaccessible. I'm still on r1995 and would like to go to the latest. TIA.

Only a last trouble to make it perfect: at shutdown the Pc remain ON, does not power off completely. I need to hold the power button for 4 sec.

Someone has seen and resolved this issue ?

I've resolved shutdown hangup looking at: ######

• If you use FakeSMC plugins, and get a kernel panic after reboot. Boot into safe mode by typing -x at the boot screen. Then navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/ and delete OEMsmbios.kext. Then reboot.

I've deleted OEMsmbios.kext inside FakeSMC in script kext repository, because rebuilding kext and boot cache via DD script was reinstalled every time.

Now 10.8.3 work like a charm!

To add a new bootloader version to Hackinstaller: Download the Binary of the new version of Chameleon you desire (the one with i386 folder), Open 'Hackinstaller', open '-extra' folder, open 'bootloaders' folder. Inside 'bootloaders' create a new folder and name it your new version of Chameleon. Inside that folder place a copy of the 'i386' folder from the download.

Now run Hackinstaller and select the bootloader option. You will have among the bootloaders available a choice for the one you just added.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Well... I have spent a significant amount of time trying to troubleshoot my setup (I'm using Cruisar's DSDT with only FakeSMC, IONetworking and AppleRTC kexts). My rig has been upgraded over the years to a GTX670 superclocked (4GB) and a Core i7 990X (6 cores). As mentioned in a previous post, my system started misbehaving a couple of weeks ago (it used to work perfectly). Here are the issues:

1. The option to "Restart after power failure" in Energy System Prefs is gone. Without it, sleep does not work (computer restarts instead of waking up from sleep)
  2. Overall performance was getting slower than it should (Aperture took a long time to process RAW images, compiling stuff with XCode was longer than usual, etc.).

Not being certain if the issues were caused by a recent upgrade to 10.8.3 or to a newer Chimera, I took the following steps to troubleshoot my rig:

1. Reinstalled 10.8.1 from the ESD on a spare drive
  2. Rebooted using my original dsdt smbios and org.chameleon.boot.plist
  3. RESULT: "restart after power failure" option still gone - sleep still broken although overall performance seems better
  4. Upgraded to 10.8.2 using Combo updater, installed nvidia drivers (which were known to work better for the GTX670), rebooted
  5. RESULT: no improvements
  6. Downloaded a fresh copy of Cruisar's DSDT and installed in my /Extra folder & rebooted
  7. RESULT: no improvements
  8. Switched bootloader to Chameleon (latest version available from SVN), rebooted
  9. Reboot failed
  10. Switched back to Chameleon but used the version that comes with a freshly downloaded version of MAJ's script (instead of the latest version from SVN), rebooted
  11. RESULT: rebooted fine but no improvements (restart after power failure still gone, sleep not working)

I am running out of things to try... Anybody has any ideas?

Here are some relevant config info:

1. SMBIOS is using MacPro5,1 (will try 4,1 shortly)
  2. boot.plist has no kernel flags set but has options turned on to generate P and C states

Colddiver

Made some progress... Looks like my issues are entirely dsdt-related. I started from a fresh DSDT, applied the native power management stuff from dOOd's thread and I was able to restore sleep. Interestingly enough, I wasn't able to restore the Orange Icon fix in the new DSDT. The "restart after power failure" option never came back but sleep works OK nevertheless. I will try again from Cruisar's original dsdt (I had it modified over the years looks like some of my edits started causing some issues).

Compairing dOOd's dsdt with Cruisar's is quite revealing. I'm not sure which one is best but they are significantly different (lots of devices not having the same names, etc.). I was hoping to do an hybrid dsdt by combining the best of dOOd's and Cruisar but this turned out to be much more complex than anticipated (too many differences between the two).

Colddiver

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of buying an SSD drive for my Hackintosh.

Is there an extra option i have to do during the script steps to enable trim ?

Anyone that did the procedure ?

I guess that most of the drives are combatible without issues for tha hackintosh machines.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk