[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Hi, tseug ; since I overclock my CPU, I like to keep track of the temperature. I use iStat Menus to track various system data but it currently can't pickup CPU sensors (though it does read hard drive temps OK). So, I was very interested in reading this recent insanelymac thread about a modified fakeSMC.kext that enables CPU temperature sensors for iStat Menus.

Since your installer includes fakeSMC.kext, would you consider adding this modification? If it is not of interest or would cause problems, then I can try to do it independently.

Thanks for your great work - I continue to enjoy my Hack. :D

After updating to 10.6.2, I've added the modified fakeSMC.kext (referenced in the above quote) to show the CPU temperature sensors in iStat Menus and it's working well. I used the following steps:

. deleted /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. copied the modified fakeSMC.kext to /Extra/Extensions/

. executed: chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. executed: chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. executed: touch /System/Library/Extensions

Hi,

Thanks for the simple guide.

Got problem after step 6) Install GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer.

Chameleon won't start if i take out the CD (Boot loader on HD won't start)

I fellow every step in instruction, Do i need to configure bios back to 32bit for the first boot?

I have another SLeo on another drive with different setup, i have switch a new HD to follow this guide.

Do i need to make the drive bootable first?

any help will be great, thanks.

Update*

Fix problem by changing HD id, Works on my EP35-DS4

Thanks.

What about a new installer which will support 10.6.2 out of the box? :unsure:

i think those will be usefull to add

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showuser=346055 (64bit driver for realtek)

http://netkas.org/?p=271 (new pc efi. No more unknown cpus)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192517 (istat menu temps!!!)

tseug? what do you think?

I'm a bit pressed for time right now IRL but I might be able to take a look at it this weekend

After updating to 10.6.2, I've added the modified fakeSMC.kext (referenced in the above quote) to show the CPU temperature sensors in iStat Menus and it's working well. I used the following steps:

. deleted /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. copied the modified fakeSMC.kext to /Extra/Extensions/

. executed: chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. executed: chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/fakeSMC.kext

. executed: touch /System/Library/Extensions

I'll try to add this as well.

One quick question.

I installed successfully after this guideline and was until now running a 9800GTX 512MB (G92). I want to swap it against a passive cooled 9800GT 1024MB (G92) this weekend.

Will QE and CL run out-of-the box after I swapped the cards or will I have to modify something (EFI-Strings, etc.)?

I'd be thankful for any hints.

Cheers,

Maroder

Time machine graphics issue.....

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this one. Time machine graphics are very jerky - desktop pull down and window movement in time.

Read earlier in the thread about QE/CI - both of these seem to work, as fast user switching and widget ripple animation effects are both perfect.

Anyone got any ideas? Since system profiled no longer shows QE/CI status, is there an easy way of confirming they work and the performance rating?

Cheers

I installed successfully after this guideline and was until now running a 9800GTX 512MB (G92). I want to swap it against a passive cooled 9800GT 1024MB (G92) this weekend.

Just if someone want's to do the same: works perfectly. No modifications needed. :P

Keep up the good work Tseug - you're the best.

Hi tseug ;-)

I want to follow your guide but I'm looking to make also a Raid striping set (software in osx) with 2x 500gb WD that are bootable. Did you make that already or can tell me where to find? I know Karakehaa made 1 but for Leopard.

My goal is to use Chameleon as bootloader and 2x 500Gb (software osx RAID0) for SL and 2x 250gb (hardware mobo RAID0) for Win7

I'll try to add this as well.
Netkas just released an updated fakeSMC that includes the cpu temp functionality!

No one can answer my question?

I'm running fine on F12 (not latest BIOS). I left a 10.5 SuperDuper copy on another drive until I got comfortable with SL, no probs. I've got no opinion on the video card, as I'm running ATI. Good luck!

Ok, thanks a lot. I've noticed that P35-DS4 uses ICH9R instead of ICH9. Do you think that thing will let me use the package included in the guide as well?

Last question: I'm searching for a guide that let me generate the right DSDT File but... the search function of the forum doesn't work! It just gives you no entries, errors, so...

Is there any guide? Is there any graphic generator that let you create and patch the DSDT file from a Leopard installation?

Many thanks.

Success has been reported for the DS3 - see post #1 of this thread. The same post also addresses editing DSDT. ;)

Hi sorry for disturbing, maybe someone can help.

I have a P35-DS4 (F14) running with a q6600 on 3ghz (by default) and SL 10.6.2. Is there a way to use/install powermanagement or something else to slow down CPU or is it just possible running CPU at full speed. OS X thinks i have a Mac Pro 3ghz....

I have the following kexts installed:

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext

/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/EVOenabler.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext.bak

I used Kextutillity...but i dont know whats the difference between having them in System/library/extension and in Extra/extension... can plz someone explain which one i can delete or move? Can someone give a short introduction how to use kext files? It seems i had much luck...that everything runs fine...

sorry I'm a very nOOb to OSX...

I'm a nOOb so plz help..

Hi sorry for disturbing, maybe someone can help.

I have a P35-DS4 (F14) running with a q6600 on 3ghz (by default) and SL 10.6.2. Is there a way to use/install powermanagement or something else to slow down CPU or is it just possible running CPU at full speed. OS X thinks i have a Mac Pro 3ghz....

I used Kextutillity...but i dont know whats the difference between having them in System/library/extension and in Extra/extension... can plz someone explain which one i can delete or move? Can someone give a short introduction how to use kext files? It seems i had much luck...that everything runs fine...

sorry I'm a very nOOb to OSX...

I'm a nOOb so plz help..

Can someone help please?

What about a new installer which will support 10.6.2 out of the box? :(

tseug? what do you think?

Hi Tseug, hi everybody,

thanks for keeping up this thread and updating the installers. I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6.2 yesterday using tseug's guide. Things have become so much easier since I first installed Osx86 on my board in January 2008! Thanks to pan-pan I also upgraded to netkas's PC EFI 10.5 and have my Q6600 showing up as Xeon. I also switched to netkas's fakesmc 2.5 and istats now rocks.

thanks to everybody sharing their thoughts,

aMuse

I've read on netkas.org that the Kernel Panic with 64 bit kernel must be related to Nvidia 7300GT. So...

@klapewi- what do you read in System Profiler about the SATA controller? ICH9?

I'm still wondering how to fix the "fake 3,00 Ghz" issue...

3rd time i ask if someone can help...maybe tseug???

@klapewi- what do you read in System Profiler about the SATA controller? ICH9?

hallo oetzi,

please find below my profiler sata-info:

Intel ESB2 AHCI:

Hersteller: Intel

Produkt: ESB2 AHCI

Geschwindigkeit: 3 Gigabit

Beschreibung: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

For the fake 3.0 ghz just replace the hiden file "boot" at your hd with that http://netkas.org/?p=271.

i have q6600 and my hackinktosh recognize it as 2.43 ghz quad-core intel xeon :P .

Hi, thanks, I was using 10.4 version, but... It didn't work, even with the 10.5 version.

The instructions talk about trying to add a "-pci1" flag. Where do I have to add? Under boot.com.plist

UPDATE: Solved editing smbios..... ;)

Hi, thanks, I was using 10.4 version, but... It didn't work, even with the 10.5 version.

The instructions talk about trying to add a "-pci1" flag. Where do I have to add? Under boot.com.plist

UPDATE: Solved editing smbios..... :police:

remove from smbios those lines

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3000</string>

and you will be ok.

Brilliant! Worked first time on GA-P35-DS4 with NVIDIA Quadro 560 (basically a 7600 series pro version). No need for extra graphics kexts. Also updated easily to 10.6.2 with instructions from page 25 of this thread. Also activated NTFS native support, and now have rw access on all 3 internal SATA drives.

Kudos to all, especially tseug!

Just updated my Tseug-installation of 10.6 with the new "fakesmc 2.5" and "PC-EFI 1.5" from netkas.

To have the benefit of an correctly recognized CPU and the possiblity to read cpu-temperatures from "iStatsMenu", I did the following:

1. delete /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

2. copy the new fakesmc.kext into /Extra/Extensions/ (get it from here and be sure to use the right file for 10.6 from the "snow"-directory)

3. After you copied the file, correct permissions from the terminal (very important otherwise no more booting for you!):

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

4. Now download the new PC EFI 1.5 from here. It is only one file called "boot".

5. Go to the terminal again and do the following

sudo rm /boot

6. copy your newly downloaded boot-file to /

I did this via terminal via

sudo cp /PATH/TO/DOWNLOAD/boot /

7. Repair permissions for the new boot-file

sudo chmod a+x /boot

8. Restart and keep your fingers crossed

Worked for me ;)

Thanks to tseug and netkas again at this point.

This worked for me - it could destroy your system - so be careful.