[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

well..I got it installed the previous version so I thought it was necessary an update for getting the right boot file ... :unsure:

we must note that I tried it on a hard drive with two others leo working osx, if it's any help.

The necessary steps are in the guide. The installer installs the boot loader. Note that it obviously works since your USB drive is running the installation fine. You might want to get a empty hard drive if it doesn't work after following the guide.

then, my fault, I was using an old ga-p35 installer dated 08 september..

Then I'm running on a SL right now, with some issues..

The Legacy HDA is not present then I got no audio.

My wifi (netgear) is not recognized.

When I launch repair permission with disk utility, it states I got no installer pachages for that...?

Any suggestions?

..finally almost finished..

just a question, every time I try to repair permission i got this

Screen_shot_2009-11-08_at_14_50_33.jpg

??

I've only seen this issue when one tries to install SL from leopard using the open /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg command. It is because of this problem that one should either use the boot CD of the alternative USB method in the guide to install SL. Did you use this command instead of booting from the USB?

All I can tell you is that both methods in the guide work perfectly here - including sound and repairing permissions.

Tseug, This guide is great. I've got the basically the same configuration as you, and the installation is flawless. However, I also ran you process on a GA-EX38-DS4 with an EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512. That also worked. I only mention it, because you mentioned you were interested in knowing about other graphics cards. Thanks!

I forgot to mention; both the GA-EX38-DS4 and GA-P35-DS4 run in x64 without issue.

Anyone try 10.6.2?

I've only seen this issue when one tries to install SL from leopard using the open /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg command. It is because of this problem that one should either use the boot CD of the alternative USB method in the guide to install SL. Did you use this command instead of booting from the USB?

All I can tell you is that both methods in the guide work perfectly here - including sound and repairing permissions.

Yes, ur right.

I restored the image on the partition dedicated then open the OSInstall.

Right now, working on the strings boot.plist, I got the sound working even, and the ibernate sometimes..

Soon as I could I try the installation again.

Thanks.

So 10.6.2 is now out. Has anyone here updated?

Please post success/fail

And if you used just the software update or the combo update.

In order to upgrade you need to delete /E/E/SleepEnabler.kext and then install the new one from netkas.org after the upgrade. I used software update.

In order to upgrade you need to delete /E/E/SleepEnabler.kext and then install the new one from netkas.org after the upgrade. I used software update.

Ok, so basically I just delete that old SleepEnabler.kext and hit the Software-Update-Button. After the restart I copy the new Kext from netkas into the /Extra-Folder, whrere the old one was. Would this be correct?

Did you chown, chmod and remove some mkext or something similar after adding the new SleepEnabler.kext or just copy and reboot?

Ok, so basically I just delete that old SleepEnabler.kext and hit the Software-Update-Button. After the restart I copy the new Kext from netkas into the /Extra-Folder, whrere the old one was. Would this be correct?

Did you chown, chmod and remove some mkext or something similar after adding the new SleepEnabler.kext or just copy and reboot?

Just updated. Sleep did not work after the update until permissions were correctly set.

Here's what I did to update to 10.6.2 from 10.6.1.

• Deleted SleepEnabler.kext from Extra/Extensions
  • Downloaded 10.6.2 update through software update
  • Installed rebooted
  • Copied new Netkas 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext link, to Extra/Extensions
  • Set permissions (as shown below)
  • chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext
    chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext
    touch /System/Library/Extensions

All working great.

Thanks again tseug.

I also just updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. Luckily I have / had two 10.6.1 boot disks. I used the combo 10.6.2 updater from apples site.

The second time (better) I followed these steps:

1. Installed the combo 10.6.2 updater (no reboot)

2. deleted /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

3. copied in the new SleepEnabler.kext (get it here) into /Extra/Extensions/

4. executed: chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

5. executed: chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

6. executed: touch /System/Library/Extensions

7. rebooted

The first time through I followed these steps:

1. deleted /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

2. Installed the combo 10.6.2 updater

3. rebooted.

4. (Kernel panic here...)

5. Booted from the other boot drive

6. Installed the new netkas.org SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

7. chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

8. chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

9. touch /System/Library/Extensions

10. rebooted

BTW thanks tseug!!

I also just updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. Luckily I have / had two 10.6.1 boot disks. I used the combo 10.6.2 updater from apples site.

The second time (better) I followed these steps:

1. Installed the combo 10.6.2 updater (no reboot)

2. deleted /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

3. copied in the new SleepEnabler.kext (get it here) into /Extra/Extensions/

4. executed: chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

5. executed: chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

6. executed: touch /System/Library/Extensions

7. rebooted

Just updated successfully to 10.6.2 following your instruction :)

Thanks a lot RichardJ for the kext-instruction and thank you Tseug for this excellent guide.

Cheers,

Maroder

You have to remove the old SleepEnabler BEFORE installing the 10.6.2 update. Now you have to connect the HDD to another Mac, detele the kext and connect it back to your Hack.

Successful update here with new SleepEnabler fron Netkas :)

You have to remove the old SleepEnabler BEFORE installing the 10.6.2 update. Now you have to connect the HDD to another Mac, detele the kext and connect it back to your Hack.

...Or you can just delete before update and then reboot, I guess. SleepEnabler isn't necessary to boot SL, just for sleep to work properly with a disabled AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

i just installed this on my ga-p35-ds3r and it's working fine!

was wondering if it runs on 32bit or 64bit. if it's in 32bit, how to change to 64 bit? thanks!

Hey There,

You'll need to make your build boot in 64 bit. Here's how:

1. Open your hard drive, and open the the "Extra" folder.

2. Copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" to your desktop.

3. Open the file in TextEdit.

4. You'll need a modify a line, changing a 32 to a 64:

4.1. Change this: <string>arch=x86_32</string>

4.2. To this: <string>arch=x86_64</string>

5. Next time you boot, you'll boot the 64 bit kernel. Here's how you can verify it:

5.1. About This Mac

5.2. More Info...

5.3. Software

5.4. The second item from the bottom should display "Yes" to the right of "64-bit Kernel and Extensions."

Best of Luck! :(

GA-P35-DS4

GA-EX38-DS4

I successfully updated to 10.6.2 on two builds. Thanks Tseug and All. The used basically the same process everyone else posted. Nothing new from me. ..

1. Deleted /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

2. Installed 10.6.2 from Software Update.

3. Pasted Netkas' SleepEnabler.kext in Extra/Extensions.

4. Opened Terminal:

4.1. sudo -s

4.2. chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

4.3. chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

4.4. touch /System/Library/Extensions

5. Closed Terminal.

6. Restarted.

7. Repaired Disk Permissions through Disk Utility.

I have installed the update but I can't delete the /SleepEnabler.kext and now I receive a kernel panic... :'( Please help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

siriuxs, did you ever get it working? I too hastily updated before deleting the /SleepEnabler.kext or running those terminal commands and it will no longer boot up. I just get a kernal panic on boot up.

What about a new installer which will support 10.6.2 out of the box? :)

i think those will be usefull to add

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showuser=346055 (64bit driver for realtek)

http://netkas.org/?p=271 (new pc efi. No more unknown cpus)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192517 (istat menu temps!!!)

tseug? what do you think?

Sorry, I didn't read the 25 pages of the topic. And the search feature does not work anymore :-(

I tried the installation this way :

- format my HDD to create a GUID partition : ok

- start the SL boot DVD : ok

- start the retail DVD in verbose mode : ko

I'm stuck at the point shown in the attached picture

Any explanation ?

post-132996-1257980595_thumb.jpg