[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, ive been reading this thread for days and appreciate everyones commitment to helping everyone out.

I got to step 7 perfectly but when i try to boot from the SL partition it comes up with the apple logo with the loading circle but then says i need to restart the computer. how ever it works fine when booting from the bootcd.

another issue is that the screen is stuck at 1024x768 resolution. i've copied the hex into com.apple.Boot.plist at /Extra/ and restarted (booting from CD) but still at 1024x768. could this be because its booting from the disk?

(UPDATE) looks like i was right about that, i put chameleon on a seperate 1GB partition with modified .plist and it booted chameleon at full resolution, when i chose my SL partition it came up with the full resolution apple logo then while SL was loading it came up with the screen telling me to reboot. (/update)

can somebody please help me boot from the HDD?

EDIT:

GA-EP35-DS3P

E8400

8800GT

4GB Kingston RAM

There hasn't been too much change. Basically the DSDT.aml has been tweaked to make the internal drives appear internal, and the kexts that normally does this has been removed.

Thanks.

And many thanks for the guide and the excellent installer!

Good Evening.

I just want to tell you: Nothing works for me. Absolutely NOTHING.

1. I got a full retail Snow Leopard DVD.

2. I downloaded the stuff on Page 1 and burned the SLISO.iso onto a CD.

3. I got the following Hardware

Q9550

GTX260

Gigabyte P35 DS4 Rev 2.1

4GB G.Skill 1066-RAM

Seagate Barracuda 250GB (S-ATA)

LG-DVD-Burner (S-ATA)

4. I put the boot-cd into the LG-Drive. It says

"cdboot: done"

Then my PC gets stuck.

5. I tried to change from IDE to AHCI before booting with that bootcd. Then this message appears:

EBIOS error xxxxx and something else

This message appears about 4 times, then i can see this blue chameleon-screen. Theres an option called "Boot SL". When im pushing it, it says "Cant load machkernel" or something like this.

I ejected the drive, and let it load again. Same Message.

6. I dont know how to restore the SL-DVD onto a USB-Drive. I dont have Disk Utility, i dont have an MAC.

Can u tell me wtf is going on here? Lots of people tell it works the first try. I really want to try Mac OS X, but im gonna angry now.

Please, help me.

Thanks in advance people!

from memory that specific error when it cannot fine mach_kernel means that the CD/DVD reader is on the 'wrong' SATA connector that's all. Things are just a bit specific. And if everything isn't 100% as it's expected, it fails.

The 4 EBIOS errors are normal and to be ignored.

The chameleon bootscreen you got to is fine, just switch the CD/DVD read onto a different SATA connector, I think mine's on ONE (as in the second one on that board) as it goes, 0,1,2,3 4,5,6 7 and 8

Hope this reply finds you quick enough =] It works flawlessly I assure you. Anything else we can help you with, post here

Thanks mate,

ill try and tell u in a few minutes.

Please, dont go offline! ;)

//UPDATE:

I just tried the sixth sata-connector, still the "cant find mach_kernel" error. 2 connectors left...

//UPDATE 2:

When the bootcd booted up, it showed me the seagate barracuda 250, and i can press enter to go on. I just connected the hdd and the lg-dvd-rom with the 2 purple connectors on the p34 ds4 and this time both devices appeared on the screen. Good or bad?

//UPDATE 3:

I tried all connectors and none of them worked. Still the same error and one new error too: Device timeout.

//UPDATE 4:

I just made it to the screen with the apple. The HDD is going to sleep, after 10 seconds its waking up, the dvd is loading at high speed. But my screen just went black to standby.

hey Holzmichi.

first of all i just want to make sure that you are following the instructions since so far you have said that u have selected the bootcd and the 250GB hard drive from chameleon. this isn't what the instructions say.

once you boot from the cd into chameleon, you should switch the disk. take out your boot cd and put in the Snow Leopard disk. then you will be able to format and install Snow Leopard onto the HDD.

Holzmichi: connect alll your HDDs and DVDs to YELLOW SATA ports, don't use the purple ports. Also see following screens for recommended BIOS settings:

BIOS SETTINGS FOR GA-P35-DS4 (BIOS F8)

2107081042ga7.th.jpg 2107081043lw3.th.jpg 2107081044ol2.th.jpg

Hello,

I think i wrote some wrong information.

It was the Intel AHCI-Tool on system startup, which showed me the installed drives, that have been connected with the purple connector. That had nothing to do with the bootcd, im sry.

Thanks for those tips, ill try and tell you.

hi guys,

does anyone know if you can use the snow leopard update disk, rather than the snow leopard full retail disk?

SL update disc is in fact a full retail disc. The only difference between the "update" disc and the retail box set is that the box set contains iLife '09 as well.

@LS8:

There is only one Screenshot and i cant see BIOS-settings on it.

I just connected my hdd and the dvd-drive with two yellow connectors. I reached the grey screen

with that apple, but then my screen goes standby.

I cant install.

Follow the BIOS settings posted by LS8. Also write -v before you load the DVD. Both of these steps are mentioned in the guide, so before you do anything, take a moment to read the guide carefully :rolleyes:

In that thread i can see one image for P35 DS4, and its the same u already showed me.

Please give me the direct links to the pictures.

You should be able to suss out how the settings translate to GA-EP35-DS3P. If not, search the forum for GA-EP35-DS3P BIOS settings.

I tried the BIOS Settings and used "-v" but my screen is just going standby.

//UPDATE:

I just changed my graphics card from GTX260 to Radeon HD4350. Instead of going to standby, i can see lots of white stripes and fragments on the screen.

Still not possible to install OS X.

I tried the BIOS Settings and used "-v" but my screen is just going standby.

You might have a problem with your graphics card. I don't know if it will work with this setup. However, it might work with Graphicsenabler set to true in com.apple.Boot.plist. Unfortunately, that option is not set on the current boot.iso. I'll make a modified one and upload it. If it doesn't work, try moving the graphics card to the other PCI-E slot. If THAT doesn't work, you might need to generate an EFI string and add it to the ISO. I don't know if such a string can be made in Windows. Maybe someone else does.