[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

AAAH a new bootcd! xD

Thanks, ill try!

One more question to you:

In this Guide on page 1 i cant find anything about the file system on the hdd. Do i need to prepare the hdd before booting from the bootcd?

You can use Disk utility on the SL retail DVD.

Therefore i have to avoid this standby-mode :P.

Man, i hope this works. Today i worked with a friends MacBook and now im going to forget Windows...

After switching the cds to sl-dvd, the debug-mode shows "Nvidia GTX260".

But...

Standby-Mode again...

I was that angry, i tried to install via "Geforce 7300 LE".

OMG IT WORXX, its installing!

I hope i can use my GTX260 after installing.

So what're the actual changes with this new BootISO ? I've used a previous one that's worked flawlessly... From reading back i'm guessing one of the changes is the new netkas bootloader?

What else? =]

No changes really. Just made it with another procedure. The boot CD does not use Netkas' boot, because he hasn't made a cdboot file. It might be possible to make one using another method that doesn't require cdboot, but I don't have the time right now.

I was that angry, i tried to install via "Geforce 7300 LE".

OMG IT WORXX, its installing!

I hope i can use my GTX260 after installing.

Good for you. :P You might have to generate EFI strings, so look around if the swap doesn't work.

May i come back to if its not working the simple way?

Man, im so happy, i cant tell ;) .

Sure but I can't help you if it doesn't work the simple way. Feel free to post though, and if you make it clear that you've searched the forum first, you'll probably get more answers :D

I followed this guide and everything went 100% smooth, however. With these BIOS settings my system will no longer boot into Windows7. It will get to the splash screen then loop back to BIOS. If i change the settings back, it will boot fine into Windows7. Is there something in the BIOS that would cause this?

Hardware..

Gigabyte ep35-ds3r

Q6600

Nvidia 9800gtx 512m

I got my p35-ds4 working 100%.

However, was a bit more complicated than I thought!!

First, I couldn't get the Boot CD working. Turned out that to get the boot cd, and the SL install dvd working,

my drives (CDROM and HD for SL) HAD to be connect to the Intel SATA ports, and in AHCI mode. Since I before used the Intel ports for RAID, I had to complete change my configuration. :-)

Then installation started, but after a while, black screen. Just when the graphic card gets initialized and the GUI is supposed to start up. I have a nvidia gtx 285, and had it working fine with 10.5. After trying several options,

I went to the basement and dragged up my "old" 8800 GTX. Bonus!!! Sweeet...

Now it worked. Installation went without any problems with this card! :-) But of course I didn't wanna throw away my perfectly working, and much better GTX 285. So after finishing installation and upgrades, I threw in my 285, and WHAM!!

It worked seamlessly... Imagine that!!

So, will it simply not be possible to install from DVD with this GFX? Is there a workaround, other than changing card?

To me seems a bit weird, since there is native support in SL for the 285.....

Now time to get my old RAID Windows 7 up running next to SL......

Mbagger.....

I got my p35-ds4 working 100%.

However, was a bit more complicated than I thought!!

First, I couldn't get the Boot CD working. Turned out that to get the boot cd, and the SL install dvd working,

my drives (CDROM and HD for SL) HAD to be connect to the Intel SATA ports, and in AHCI mode. Since I before used the Intel ports for RAID, I had to complete change my configuration. :-)

Then installation started, but after a while, black screen. Just when the graphic card gets initialized and the GUI is supposed to start up. I have a nvidia gtx 285, and had it working fine with 10.5. After trying several options,

I went to the basement and dragged up my "old" 8800 GTX. Bonus!!! Sweeet...

Now it worked. Installation went without any problems with this card! :-) But of course I didn't wanna throw away my perfectly working, and much better GTX 285. So after finishing installation and upgrades, I threw in my 285, and WHAM!!

It worked seamlessly... Imagine that!!

So, will it simply not be possible to install from DVD with this GFX? Is there a workaround, other than changing card?

To me seems a bit weird, since there is native support in SL for the 285.....

Now time to get my old RAID Windows 7 up running next to SL......

Mbagger.....

There seem be a problem with the newer Graphic cards in that they do not seem to be behaving well without being "enabled" by the GraphicsEnabler options. Also it has been pretty problematic to get feedback from people. After the setup works they seem to just leave the thread :)

I did make another boot CD for another guy with GTX 260 a couple of posts back but he didn't really report back. You can try this boot CD and see if you can boot the DVD. If not, try and switch the graphics card to the other PCI-E port and check if it works.

With regards to creating your own, I recommend buying an 8 GB USB stick (they are dirt cheap these days), restore the SL DVD to the stick and then run the installer with this disk as the target. (This is basically the alternative install method in the guide). That will create a bootable USB that boots into the SL installation.

There seem be a problem with the newer Graphic cards in that they do not seem to be behaving well without being "enabled" by the GraphicsEnabler options. Also it has been pretty problematic to get feedback from people. After the setup works they seem to just leave the thread ;)

I did make another boot CD for another guy with GTX 260 a couple of posts back but he didn't really report back. You can try this boot CD and see if you can boot the DVD. If not, try and switch the graphics card to the other PCI-E port and check if it works.

With regards to creating your own, I recommend buying an 8 GB USB stick (they are dirt cheap these days), restore the SL DVD to the stick and then run the installer with this disk as the target. (This is basically the alternative install method in the guide). That will create a bootable USB that boots into the SL installation.

Thanx for the quick reply.

I will try your other boot iso, and see if that makes a difference. However the second option, to move the gfx to the other pcie port, has me really mind buggled! I only see one pcie port on this motherboard.... and a small slot, I thought was only for running two ATI cards in SLI??

Well anyway, I will have to get back to you. I have been up all night installing programs on my hackintosh! :-) I gotta say that I am pretty amazed by the functionality. I so far have Ilife, Iworks, Logic Studio 9, Final cut express 4 etc. up 'n running. And it all works without any problems.

I had some problems with Chameleon. Kept giving me 16 errors or so before loading. But finally, after removing my old Raid array, formatting the drives and trying all connection options, I managed. It seemed that it was reacting to one drive. After repartitioning and formatting a second time, it worked.

I'll report back if the iso is working when I have time.

mbagger...

Thanx for the quick reply.

I will try your other boot iso, and see if that makes a difference. However the second option, to move the gfx to the other pcie port, has me really mind buggled! I only see one pcie port on this motherboard.... and a small slot, I thought was only for running two ATI cards in SLI??

P35-DS4 has two PCI-E ports for graphic cards - one is orange, the other is blue. If you can't see them on the board, check the manual. They are the ones named PCIE_16_1 and PCIE_16_2 on the layout page.

having problems

after the SL install finished, i booted the slboot cd and selected the hdd i installed the OS in, it just goes to "Loaded HFS+ file:" a list of files loaded from the extra/extensions and stays there

i do get errors when booting up from the slboot cd, it says EBIOS read error: Device Timeout but i still get to the boot selector.

maybe its my bios thats bad??

i am using a usb external dvdrom and restore SL install cd to a flash drive. i dont see how that an issue if i got as far as to install 10.6 on a sata hdd....

any thoughts??

ok i got it to work

i had to go into the bios and change the "hpet mode" to 32 bit and it went into the MacOS setup and then restarted and changed it back 64bit.

quick question: did any other ga-p35-ds4 restart after making a few change to bios setting??

FYI i have a EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb that worked after i installed the GA-P35-DS4 Snow Installer

THANKS tseug FOR YOUR WORK AND OTHERS THAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE WITH THIS THREAD!!

First of all, thanks to many of you for helping me out. I have but one small problem still with my machine. I am able to sleep the computer but when it wakes it only shows half of the native resolution of my monitor. Instead of showing in full 1440x900, I get 720x900 and black bars on both sides of my screen. My computer never does this from a restart, it is only when it wakes from sleep. I have tried kexts to fix the problem and inserting the EFI string for my video card but the result is all the same. I have a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard with an EVGA 7600 GT video card. I have been unable to try other video cards at this time, but do you think it's the problem?? Anyone else ever had this problem, i've done searches but have turned up nothing.

Ok the chap that put this guide together is so great that he has got to be bred and multiply in controlled environments to ensure the continuation of his/her kind.

Having said that, I would like to ask if anyone has been able to replicate the result of this guide on core i7 processors. Thinking of an upgrade.

Currently on GA-EP35-DS3R.

Oh, and my sleep won't work. Can we have some love on this? (sleep please blows)

Hello, sorry for interupting, but I have a problem :ninja: Finally I succeeded to install SL on a new partition on the same hard drive as my Leopard. After installing i try to boot from the boot cd and I it stops on this error. Anyone know why?

Thanks!

Hi, i followed your guid and everything is wokring well. i just have the problem that shutdown/restart isn working. After selecting shutdown the computer is going to shut down but after a few seconds a get an grey screen telling me that i have to hold the power button to shut down.

So openhaltrestart is installed....some ideas

SL update disc is in fact a full retail disc. The only difference between the "update" disc and the retail box set is that the box set contains iLife '09 as well.

the system drive on my hakintosh is currently corrupt, so i just want to install snow leopard onto it from scratch after i format the drive.

i have a macbook running snow leopard, and can USB connect the blank drive (used for the hakintosh) to the macbook.

would you recommend your guide for this purpose?