[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

I use this guide for my DS4. Works perfectly exept my GF9400GT. After i install the the DS4 install package i will get a resolution of 1280x1024 (ok for my 19" TFT) but i think i have no QE/CE support. When i change the resolution i will get a black screen.

I try the EFI String with my own NVCAP Code and put it to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. After reboot i get a black screen. What can i do to fix this? Is it possible to change the DSDT file (remove GFX string) to fix this issue?

I need help please!

Hi tseug hi all

For first sorry for my awfull english...

and be patient i'm a total ignorant...

For now i've to report a total failure with the config in firm.

I could not go over the step 3.....

Here is where i stop on the first try...

primotentativo.th.jpg

then i tried to look further disabling almost and retry, the max i could reach is another string ( i hope could be usefull to figure out something more.

secondotentativo.th.jpg

--Additional info---

--The hdd is a blank one.. (no partition, not formatted), cause i don't know how to create a mac partition starting from windows Vista (strictly needed?)

--In order to try, i removed all drives i own, and i leave only the one where i want install Snow leopard and the dvd drive (yes is sata)

--Bios settings are the same as required.

--Reading all the posts, the suspect n°1 could be my videocard? (hd 4870 1 gig dual dvi ), but is a strange thing ,from apple site i could read that mac pro use ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5... so i suppose is compatible....

(could be the quantity of ram? or that i've 2 monitors attached, ù

--- I've bought the update dvd to start from, (the 29Euros one), if i read correctly, is correct to do the installation form scratch..

I hope someone could help me out..

Thanks, but that app just shows/hides the already hidden files. How can I change a single file so it is hidden?

Is there a terminal command?

Ok after a search on google I found you can just flag a file hidden, without changing the name.

open terminal

type sudo su

enter your password

then type

chflags hidden

do not press enter yet. press space. then drag the folder you want to hide to the terminal window.

the resulting line should look like this

chflags hidden path/to/folder

where path/to/folder is the unix path to the folder you want to hide.

press enter. that will hide the folder.

to unhide it use

chflags nohidden path/to/folder

The boot file is now hidden and the install still boots. I also have hidden the extra directory for Chameleon too to make the root of the drive look a little cleaner.

Try pmset -a autorestart 1 in a terminal

Didn't help, but thanks though.

After a lot of fiddeling around with different kexts, I got sleepmode working, but wakeup is just possible by pressing my case's power-button, not by keyboard. Still, better than nothing.

Any idea about the reason?

...I got sleepmode working, but wakeup is just possible by pressing my case's power-button, not by keyboard...

This is a known issue. Wake on KBD does not work on this MoBo.

Didn't help, but thanks though.

After a lot of fiddeling around with different kexts, I got sleepmode working, but wakeup is just possible by pressing my case's power-button, not by keyboard. Still, better than nothing.

Any idea about the reason?

I've got the same sleep problems, can you tell us how you managed to make sleep work?

I use this guide for my DS4. Works perfectly exept my GF9400GT. After i install the the DS4 install package i will get a resolution of 1280x1024 (ok for my 19" TFT) but i think i have no QE/CE support. When i change the resolution i will get a black screen.

I try the EFI String with my own NVCAP Code and put it to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. After reboot i get a black screen. What can i do to fix this? Is it possible to change the DSDT file (remove GFX string) to fix this issue?

I need help please!

There is no GFX string in the DSDT file because we want it to work on several GFX cards. I don't know why your GFX card doesn't work.

--Reading all the posts, the suspect n°1 could be my videocard? (hd 4870 1 gig dual dvi ), but is a strange thing ,from apple site i could read that mac pro use ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5... so i suppose is compatible....

(could be the quantity of ram? or that i've 2 monitors attached,

There should be drivers available for 4870. Take a look here: http://netkas.org/?p=237

Unfortunately, these are not added to the boot disk. There might be a boot CD creator that allows you to add them or you might be able to add them to the ISO file in Vista. (Google?)

If you had a OS X installation already, you could use the alternative install method and add the driver manually.

There should be drivers available for 4870. Take a look here: http://netkas.org/?p=237

Unfortunately, these are not added to the boot disk. There might be a boot CD creator that allows you to add them or you might be able to add them to the ISO file in Vista. (Google?)

If you had a OS X installation already, you could use the alternative install method and add the driver manually.

Tseug,

Sorry for my ignorance, is my absolute first time with osx, and totally noob, and i've around me no one with osx.. so i'm on my own...

I've software to open an iso for win, adding things i suppose will not be a problem

Problems are...

1)where add drivers to the bootdisk?

2)if there's something to add/configure in the bootdisk, (and where), to make them run during the installation...

If you (or someone here that know how) have the time would help me out?

Tseug,

Sorry for my ignorance, is my absolute first time with osx, and totally noob, and i've around me no one with osx.. so i'm on my own...

I've software to open an iso for win, adding things i suppose will not be a problem

Problems are...

1)where add drivers to the bootdisk?

2)if there's something to add/configure in the bootdisk, (and where), to make them run during the installation...

If you (or someone here that know how) have the time would help me out?

All the kexts are present in Preboot.dmg. I don't know if it is possible to modify this image on Vista. Otherwise, it might be possible to put them in a Extensions directory in Extra. I'm sure there is more information on insanelymac for the exact procedure.

Hi,

With attached DSDT and HDALegacy you should have functional all peripherals, sleep and 64bits.

Tried it on my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 :

Working audio - coax digital out, in stereo (same what I got all over my Leopard 10.5.4 - 10.5.8)

Only Problem was the graphic inside the dsdt.aml - I copied your HDEF "text" out inserted it into my dsdt.aml and used iaslme to compile again - all OK !

Anyone has 5.1 sound? In audio midi setup I have only 2 speakers.

Read the previous posts carefully (the first one, the guide) , it has been explained by Tseug how to solve this issue.

Please read the posts ...it helps !

-The dude

yeah I have spotted it after reading it carefully. Anyway, I have erased the original partition of Leopard and I'm left with only my time machine (which has extra kext in S/L/E). Because of that, I have to reinstall every applications from scratch.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

NTFS drivers are built-in to Snow Leopard - see this thread NTFS info on how to enable. I am writing to NTFS drives without NTFS-3G.
Warning - use this technique with caution. I began to have spinning beachballs fairly regularly where I was unable to force quit, had to do a full restart of the machine. I'm about 90% certain the problem is related to enabling r/w access to NTFS partitions since the problem went away when I disabled r/w access. I've seen other reports of instability. The implementation seems sensitive, not robust, and some have commented that might be why Apple chose not to enable r/w access by default. Others have said if you are careful then it should be OK, e.g., run CHKDSK from Windows on a "dirty volume" caused by sudden quit. I had a number of sudden quits and wasn't careful about running CHKDSK. I also have had issues getting my XP dualboot to work (recently fixed, for now :) ), which also may have contributed to my issues.

I'll probably go back and play with this some more, once I've been able to enjoy my stable Mac for awhile and need a new challenge. Just noticed NTFS-3G for the Mac is coming out as a for-sale product, so will keep an eye on that as well.

Hi,

First of all I want to say thank you for this excellent guide!

I have a P35-DS4 with a Q6600 running perfectly, or atleast, almost perfectly... ;-)

I have two questions.

1. My WG311T WIFI-card worked fine when I installed Snow Leopard. But after I had finished installing everything in accordance with the tutorial, I can see the Airport but I can't turn it on. How do I do that?

2. I can't seem to shut down my computer properly. When I try do shut it down, I get the screen that says I have to hold down my power button for a few seconds. Does anyone know how to fix that problem? PROBLEM SOLVED!

Would be extremely glad for some help with these minor issues! Thank you all so much!

O

Hello,

The boot cd is not working on my GA-P35-DS4 (whereas it is working on my dell laptop... ;) )

I guess this is due to my Video card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512Mb ...

I read in the FAQ of the guide that there was an alternative method, but I don't understand it.

any idea of a track to follow ?

I could try to build my own boot cd but i would definitively need inputs...

ps : I really need to install SL since I need to developp an iphone application but I just can't afford a real mac for the moment.

=> if I was sure that the pb was my video card, I would then be ok for buying a new one... how could I be sure of that ?

Benibur

Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia

Tseug thanks for your guide..

I could say I'm up and running (writing from osx 10.6.1 :D )

And using my 4870.

To install i've to use a 8800 gt, installed, switched the card with the 4870. and voilà then i've installed a package from netkas QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1.pkg

seems to work without problems..

Could i ask you for some post installation things to adjust?

What is the best way to install Snow Leopard on my current Hackintosh system?

Im set up running Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 Upgraded to 10.5.6 at the moment, vanilla kernel.

GA-EP35-DS4

Nvidia 8600gt 512mb

HDD set as follows - MBR

300GB - Hackintosh

100GB - Time Machine

10GB - Core System Backup/Rescue Partition

How would i be able to install Snow Leopard onto my hackintosh parition without erasing/wiping the hackintosh/time machine parititions? My goal is to have this setup exactly as it is, but with snow leopard instead of Leopard on the hackintosh partition. How could i do this?

Thanks for a great guide. I've done Kalyway installs in the past, but did not have any experience with Chameleon, so that took a bit of getting used to. Thanks for writing this! I have GA-P35-DS3L and I was able to follow your guide and all is working well. Sleep works *sometimes*. Everything else is working great. I have an external USB audio device so I haven't tried the onboard audio. One suggestion: You might include some more detail in the steps where Chameleon is used. Thanks again!

Hello, first thanx for you guide.

I am wondering something, does it differs from a ep45-ds3R mobo to ep45c-ds3r mobo ? cause some ppl writing here reported succesful install with ep45-ds3R mobo. Logicaly there isnt any difference between those 2 mobo's (if I'm wrong please correct me). my question is not only about ep45-ds3r vs ep45c-ds3r. ep45-ud3's also reported succesful installs.

My configuration is

mobo ep45c-ds34, cpu q9650, zotac gtx275 amp gfx card.

searched a lot for this configuration. Also successful reports for EVGA GTX 275 Graphic Card. Will it also differ from evga to zotac.

Currently using ideneb 10.5.7 leopard for long time. I want to upgrade to SL. Wish some one could give me some information about those.

or simply Does ep45c-ds3r mobo works with SL 10.6 or 10.6.1 ??

Tseug,

I have seen that you made a number of changes to your installer.

It would be kind of you if you would give us some details on the changes. (Just the changes)

Thanks a lot!

There hasn't been too much change. Basically the DSDT.aml has been tweaked to make the internal drives appear internal, and the kexts that normally does this has been removed.