[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

aboutmac1061.png

successfully updated to 10.6.1 direct from the apple website. :P

I am getting random KPs... sometimes when restarting/shutting down and once while booting. I did the update thru the software update in the apple menu.

It may have something to do with my power savings settings because I can not get my Hackintosh to wake up from sleep, but I'll have to check the logs with more detail to find out what's causing it. In any case, can anyone share their bios settings for a Gigabyte EP35-XXXX?

I am unable to get past the gray screen with the spinning thing. I did everything according to the guide. I have a Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L. Any tips? What KEXTS should I have? I have this same setup @ my office and we need a mac...I have a mac pro...should I start by installing mac os x onto the drive then load Mac Os X and install chameleon (from my normal install of course not the new one)?

Any help would be great!

PS: how do i get to verbose mode? Perhaps it will have some more info...I tried Ctrl+v and windows+v...am i missing something?

Has anyone had this problem. Snow Leopard see's my IDE and USB harddrives but not my SATA Harddrives. I have 3 of them and they are useless right now. Its a perfect install other than that. ??????

I hesitate to reply as I know so little but did you set SATA to AHCI in your bios?

night_rider is absolutely right,

try here for more information.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182364

I am unable to get past the gray screen with the spinning thing. I did everything according to the guide. I have a Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L. Any tips? What KEXTS should I have? I have this same setup @ my office and we need a mac...I have a mac pro...should I start by installing mac os x onto the drive then load Mac Os X and install chameleon (from my normal install of course not the new one)?

Any help would be great!

PS: how do i get to verbose mode? Perhaps it will have some more info...I tried Ctrl+v and windows+v...am i missing something?

-v

or if you are using this guide than interrupt chameleon while boot, select HDD then press down for more option.

you need to provide more infor of your mobo, simply saying you have a problem doesn't help us,

what is the last error you got? Take a picture if you must.

I mean of course I want 10.6 but bring all the stuff from my working 10.5.5 to my 10.6 setup.

After install, SL will ask you if you want to import you setting when first boot, or use Migration assistant from utilities.

I successfully installed this on my desktop, but now I'm having problems with it on my laptop. I have iDeneb installed right now just fine, and I've followed your guide completely but when I restart to boot up to the snow leopard install I get a "Mac Os Version: Not yet set" error. I've tried starting up with -32, -f and -x and any other flags I can think of but nothing works.

Laptop specs:

HP DV 9700t

2.2ghz Core 2 Duo

3gb Ram

8600m, 512mb

2x 120gb hdd's, 74gb external (that I have iDeneb on currently).

Any ideas?

i am able to boot off the usb though it then gets stuck at a grey screen with a mouse pointer after the apple logo goes away.

any idea?

I would try it again. When you get to the Chamelon screen with your USB volume listed and the little bar is counting down hit any key. Make sure your USB volume is highlighted as in the prior screen then type in "-v" (no quotes) which will show in the lower left-hand corner. This is a boot argument to have the OS boot in VERBOSE mode so you can actually see where it's hanging up. Hit Enter. Once you do you'll have a better idea where the problem is by looking at the last dozen lines or so for any errors or the last line that printed before it froze.

I would try it again. When you get to the Chamelon screen with your USB volume listed and the little bar is counting down hit any key. Make sure your USB volume is highlighted as in the prior screen then type in "-v" (no quotes) which will show in the lower left-hand corner. This is a boot argument to have the OS boot in VERBOSE mode so you can actually see where it's hanging up. Hit Enter. Once you do you'll have a better idea where the problem is by looking at the last dozen lines or so for any errors or the last line that printed before it froze.

incompatible graphic card? Try adding NVEnabler.kext to kext folder and redo restore to USB.

It worked!... it was awesome. Everything worked but the ALC888 audio. I will try to fix it tomorrow, I'm so tired right now. By the way, this are my hackintosh's specs:

Mobo: Intel DG31PR

Proc: Intel Quad Core 2,33 GHz.

Vid: Nvidia 8400 512 Mb.

Disk: WD Caviar Blue 500 Gb.

RAM: 4 Gb.

P.S. The hard disks do not appear directly on the desktop. Weird.

sorry for the noob question,but does this work on AMD machines?

Phenom II 940 3.0Ghz

8GB Ram

ASUS 478-T Deluxe motherboard

onboard audio (AC/97) --------|\ Both over

onboard video (ATI HD3300)---|/ HDMI

linksys wmp54g wireless card

52" Samsung Series 6 LCD TV

can you recommend the best patches/kext files to use for everything to work?

So, thanks for the guide. On an HP g50-133US laptop, I've made good headway on it. Most things work... there's only a few things about this install that I don't understand.

First, wireless through some sort of atheros chipset still isn't working, and neither is the ethernet on some sort of realtek rtl8102e chipset.

Also waiting on the Intel GMA 4500 to be supported better.

Most importantly though,

Why is the EFI partition being mounted and able to be seen? I tried the step of editing the EFI UUID into the /etc/fstab and it didn't change anything.

My /etc/fstab looks something like

UUID=6ff6489c-cbbc-3a3c-9c91-598c5a53743f none hfs rw,noauto

...still is able to be seen. Is there maybe some sort of second script I can run to auto eject and/or unmount the drive before boot?

Also...any tips on trying to get sleep working on this? I think the chipset is an ich9, if that helps.

So, thanks for the guide. On an HP g50-133US laptop, I've made good headway on it. Most things work... there's only a few things about this install that I don't understand.

First, wireless through some sort of atheros chipset still isn't working, and neither is the ethernet on some sort of realtek rtl8102e chipset.

Also waiting on the Intel GMA 4500 to be supported better.

Most importantly though,

Why is the EFI partition being mounted and able to be seen? I tried the step of editing the EFI UUID into the /etc/fstab and it didn't change anything.

My /etc/fstab looks something like

UUID=6ff6489c-cbbc-3a3c-9c91-598c5a53743f none hfs rw,noauto

...still is able to be seen. Is there maybe some sort of second script I can run to auto eject and/or unmount the drive before boot?

To use EFI partition without it auto mounting or having to hide it via fstab

Use:

Change the "X" for your disk identifier.

sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdiskXs1

instead of:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

This formats without changing the partition format type so it remains as it did in Leopard - seems apple changed something in distkutil Snow.

I've done this on several installs of Snowy EFI. Note it needs to be done on a fresh partitioned disk so the EFI partition is created. There is a method to do it retrospectively but I have not tried that.

EFI auto mounting

Perfect Method..works like a charm for me

Intel DG33FB Motherboard

Core 2 Duo

2 GB Ram

NVIDIA 8500

good to hear that Rushabh.

It worked!... it was awesome. Everything worked but the ALC888 audio. I will try to fix it tomorrow, I'm so tired right now. By the way, this are my hackintosh's specs:

Mobo: Intel DG31PR

Proc: Intel Quad Core 2,33 GHz.

Vid: Nvidia 8400 512 Mb.

Disk: WD Caviar Blue 500 Gb.

RAM: 4 Gb.

P.S. The hard disks do not appear directly on the desktop. Weird.

go to hear that it worked for you too Comodin.

snow leo's default setting is not to display internal-hdds in the desktop. u can easily change it w/ Finder's preferences.

To use EFI partition without it auto mounting or having to hide it via fstab

Use:

Change the "X" for your disk identifier.

instead of:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

This formats without changing the partition format type so it remains as it did in Leopard - seems apple changed something in distkutil Snow.

I've done this on several installs of Snowy EFI. Note it needs to be done on a fresh partitioned disk so the EFI partition is created. There is a method to do it retrospectively but I have not tried that.

EFI auto mounting

tnx a lot for this useful knowledge DB1. this is the kind of post i like the most. :) will include this in the update.

I have a kernel panic can you help me with this ?

3843137860_bd547cdd64_b.jpg

I had the exact same Kernel Panic. You just have to change the advanced settings/drive configuration and disabled auto mode (bios). That worked with my mobo.

Regards;

Efrén.

I had the exact same Kernel Panic. You just have to change the advanced settings/drive configuration and disabled auto mode (bios). That worked with my mobo.

Regards;

Efrén.

thank you for your replay.

But I was already have this option disabled

Any other ideas ?

Hi,

Im with P5QL-E video Gigabyte nvidia 8500GT

Some info because i try 2-3 methods

I restore image on partition and try to boot from it but have kernel panic or stuck on gray screen I can move mouse but 10 minutes nothing appears.I run with -v option but no output when i see gray screen

Im with 10.5.7 i flash my BIOS before install 10.5 but I dont need to upgrade it again or i need !?

Today I will try to change video with palit 9500GT and see what will happend.