[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

I too get the gray screen then after a while (~2mins) spinning pinwheel, any way to see whats going on? Booting with -v (and tried with various combintations of -x32, -x, -arch=i386 didn't work either) doesn't show anything obvious and no kernel dumps or segfaults

Thank you very much. I'm not the only one getting grey screen and then a spinning beachball.

** Posted to Post-Install too for help **

Hardware in sig below.

Like most I pulled from a couple different guides.

Vanilla Intall Guide

LifeHacker Guide

I was able to:

1. create USB drive w/SL image, Chamelion, PC-EFI and custom DSDT.aml

2. put the kext I thought I needed in the Extras folder but may have screwed this up

mostly used a P5K_SnowPack posted elsewhere

3. booted from USB drive and successfully installed SL over my prior Leo install

Problem:

When I try to boot into my new SL install I'm getting a kernel panic. Have tried boot arguments -v -s -x32 but am currently getting what appears to be an error with AppleAPCIPlatform kext.

Tried:

I tried to mount the EFI partition from within Terminal. I can access terminal through the install utilities but cannot get a sudo state. I cannot mount_hfs /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI. I wanted to mount it so I could edit it. It's possible there's an NV kext in there I need to get rid of.

Anyway I'm looking for ideas to get SL running as it's installed. KP shots below. Thanks.

img1023y.jpg

img1024gr.jpg

mobo: Asus P5Ke

LGA 775

NB: Intel P35

SB: Intel ICH9R

Raid: JMicron JMB363

Audio: ADI AD1988B

LAN: Marvel 88E8056

cpu: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz

ram: 4Gb DDR2 800MHz (PC2 6400)

graphics: NVidia GeForce 7900 GS 256mb

i need a little help,,, im using an external hdd and restoring my image to it on partition SnowLeoInstaller, on my main hdd internal i have OS X and i have created a partition Snow Leopard, where am i suppose to create the partition Macloader at?????? does it go on my external hdd or on the same hdd that snow Leopard will be installed on

with the newest SnowLeopard_SL, u don't need to create a separate "MacLoader" partition anymore. kindly (re)read the updated post#1.

Hey MACinized,

I've been trying to get my DSDT file and I'm getting an error message and was wondering if you can help. Here what I get:

ntel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Loading Acpi table from file dsdt.dat

Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

................................................................................

................................................................................

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed, written to "dsdt.dsl"

No application knows how to open /Users/xxxxx/Desktop/MacLoader_SL/1_DSDT_Patcher/Tools/dsdt-fixed.dsl.

logout

[Process completed]

I can't open the file and edit it.

Thanks,

Chevy

I have exactly the same problem on a Lenovo T61. When I try to open the "dsdt-fixed.dsl" with textedit.app or BBEdit the dokument is empty :)

Please, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated with new guide, but still have stutter(locks) with mouse pointer nomatter what gfx kext (or efi string) I use for for GeForce Go 7800 256mb card. QE is broken as well. Works perfect in 10.5.8.

Also get crackling sound with VoodooHDA kext.

Only those two points to get fixed to have a near perfect system on my Dell 9400 (Inspiron E1705) laptop.

Updated with new guide, but still have stutter(locks) with mouse pointer nomatter what gfx kext (or efi string) I use for for GeForce Go 7800 256mb card. QE is broken as well. Works perfect in 10.5.8.

Also get crackling sound with VoodooHDA kext.

Only those two points to get fixed to have a near perfect system on my Dell 9400 (Inspiron E1705) laptop.

have u already tried the NVEnabler?

When I use NVEnabler I only get a black screen when coming to the Desktop.

oh ok. hope you can fix your audio & graphics soon.

[update]

i was wrong in thinking that the "boot-uuid" flag is not supported by the latest chameleon. will go update the MacLoader once again to maximize the use of the chameleon 2 rc3 by stretching my n00b-scripting-skill. :D

watch out for it. :)

After successfull installation of my MSI VR201 notebook I tried my nettop today.

Intel D945GCLF with Intel Atom N230

Memory 2GB

This Board is a ITX size and very low price (about 50.-€), everything onboard.

I installed with Macloader 0.3 with total success. Before it needs some setup in BIOS:

SATA to native

Hyperthreading on

HPET on

After first boot I need to install following driverpacks:

VoodooPS2Controller

AzilaliaAudio

RTGNIC V2.0.0.pkg

The display solution was only adjustable with Graphics mode" in com.apple.Boot.plist. QE is running.

caiowa

Double-click "3_MacLoader" file then follow prompts.

if partiotion is not required for macloader what do i type at this step???? do i place bootloader on same partition where sonw leopard is to be installed.......... or where do i place it??? i have one internal hdd with OS X and i created a partition for SL...... i have my external hdd with A partition for SnowLeoInstaller

Hi,

I have a question about installation.

I have done everything you described (Restored DVD, patched dsdt, ....) and when booting from USB (to install SL), I get kernel panic. It just says that i need to restart my computer (it happens just after chameleon boot). What should I do?

My config is:

Fujitsu-siemens v3505

Intel core duo

Intel gma950

4GB ram

Everyone having KP's and failed install attempts need to jump on over to Blackosx guide for the BootCD install method. This will work for everyone!

Blackosx has the easiest install guide on InsanelyMac!

Here's the link to Blackosx Retail Vanilla Snow Leopard Install guide; Blackosx

There's hope yet people! :thumbsup_anim:

After successfull installation of my MSI VR201 notebook I tried my nettop today.

Intel D945GCLF with Intel Atom N230

Memory 2GB

This Board is a ITX size and very low price (about 50.-€), everything onboard.

I installed with Macloader 0.3 with total success. Before it needs some setup in BIOS:

SATA to native

Hyperthreading on

HPET on

After first boot I need to install following driverpacks:

VoodooPS2Controller

AzilaliaAudio

RTGNIC V2.0.0.pkg

The display solution was only adjustable with Graphics mode" in com.apple.Boot.plist. QE is running.

caiowa

good to hear that caiowa. :thumbsup_anim:

Double-click "3_MacLoader" file then follow prompts.

if partiotion is not required for macloader what do i type at this step???? do i place bootloader on same partition where sonw leopard is to be installed.......... or where do i place it??? i have one internal hdd with OS X and i created a partition for SL...... i have my external hdd with A partition for SnowLeoInstaller

1st prompt is:

Do you want to setup MacLoader in the EFI-partition? Y/N =>

if u want to setup MacLoader to a small usb-flashdisk, then answer with "N".

if u answer "Y", then the MacLoader will be set up in the EFI-partition of your internal-hdd where leopard already exist & where u created a new partition for snowleo installation.

please (re)read the updated post#1.

in Phase 2 Step 3 , when i reboot i get the icons of Snow leo installation and my original leopard in chameleon loader

,but when i click on any of them i get CPU panic on a background that got a nice apple logo

i used the latest pack 0.3 and i also tried with 0.2 and the original SL pack ,same result

also to mention that during Phase 1.1 Step 5 ,when i click on 2_DSDTpatcher i get 201 error but it says that the process is successful ,is that normal ?

Ok I have followed this guide and am still having issues with the installer being able to bless the drive

Here is a sample of the log file

Finalize disk "Snow" for OS Installation

Finalizing Disk for OS Install

Unable to set 'Snow' as boot disk: The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk

Install failed: The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "Snow". Try selecting your disk using the Startup Disk Utility.

Then in the main screen it says pretty much the same thing.

My hardware: ASUS P5-KPL-CM

Intel Q6600

2GB ram

250GB Sata Hard drive

I am not sure where the problem lies - I had no issue installing Leopard using vanilla install, apart from the quad core not working by default and having to change the install file, but I just used a boot-132 disk. Is anybody else having this problem with bless?

I've just had the exact same experience. Got the exact same error message.

Are you using a usb drive for SnowLeoInstaller or an Internal had drive or an External har drive.

I tried with an internal hard drive and got that error. I think that's where the problem lies.

Waiting for new USB stick to arrive to try it that way.

Also, if you let Chameleon 3 boot you should see your SNOW partition, select it and

Snow will continue,

I finished the install but my disk icons do not show up on the desktop. They do appear in

Disk Utility.

If anyone can confirm the internal vs. external, that would be a great help.

Thanks

Hello.

This is what i get when boot from USB freeze up.

I got P5K deluxe from Asus

Ati 4870

WIFI PCIe card Linksys WMP300N this one is detected in Leopard 10.5 as Airport.

What could be the problem ?

post-142352-1252572956_thumb.jpg