[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Martytoof:

That layout-id and codec only work with a vanilla Apple audio kext configuration. I realize it's a bother, but could you try it with the stock kexts? I remain curious whether digital out works. The light is on for it on my machine, but I have nothing to plug in.

Oh I don't mind trying again. Without my digital audio my sound is basically worthless since it's tied into my receiver and I don't have any RCA cables around.

Can you do me one quick favour and verify that the codec-id and everything else doesn't change, only the layout-id? And when you say stock kexts, do you want me to basically remove all audio related kexts from /Extra/Extensions?

I'll be happy to try once I hear back :)

Oh I don't mind trying again. Without my digital audio my sound is basically worthless since it's tied into my receiver and I don't have any RCA cables around.

Can you do me one quick favour and verify that the codec-id and everything else doesn't change, only the layout-id? And when you say stock kexts, do you want me to basically remove all audio related kexts from /Extra/Extensions?

I'll be happy to try once I hear back :)

I don't really have the time to look at my codec id's and stuff but you just have to remove ALL audio related kexts EXCEPT LegacyHDA.kext. This is assuming you have SL's stock AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/

Btw, I can now charge my iPhone 3GS using a 9V and a simple circuit with a 5V inhibitor in an Altoid's box : )

WOOT! Finally got my audio working!

My problem was..... }

Yes, one friggin misplaced }. It must be wrong in the code.txt file or the DSDT guide. Or I somehow managed to do the same typo 5 times.

Anyway, the way I figured it out and what I think is a great app for things like this is called: Merge from Araxis software. With it, I opened D00m42's DSDT.dsl on one side, and mine in the other. You can scroll through and it finds differences in two files. It even lets you move the changes from one page to the other.

Going through both of our files, that was the only difference, besides a memory entry towards the bottom of the file. I figured best not to change that.

But in the Audio section, I had a } at the beginning that was supposed to be at the end. After that edit, I'm good.

Thanks for all the help guys

OK guys, I know at least one of you says they have Digital audio SPDIF output working. Can you:

I've got digital out (use it every night) with a GA-EP45-UD3R mobo

I'd get lost trying to dig out what I changed in my DSDT, so here's the whole thing for you to browse

dsdt.dsl.zip

I basically followed the guide - wouldn't know how to customize anything inside that mess...

As for extensions, I've got:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

NOTE: *which* legacyHDA.kext you use makes all the difference for having the digital appear!

in doom42's SL pack, look here:

>> DSDT Stuff/how to patch DSDT/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3outs2ins regular headphone/LegacyHDA.kext (labeled green)

make sure you use that one (and nothing else) after you've patched your DSDT...

FWIW, earlier i posted an attachment with 3 kexts that gave me the same results *without* modifying my DSDT for audio in any way...

I'll be happy to try once I hear back :unsure:

Martytoof:

The codec-id should be 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 and the layout-id 0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00 in your DSDT. Nothing else matters as the layout-id overrides pinconfig and other Hdef DSDT entries.

Please remove all (non-stock) audio related kexts from E/E and S/L/E.

I do hope it works for you.

To those who wanted me to try the other layout-id, still no dice. Here is my setup, in case you can find anything glaringly wrong:

30sitya.png

16lh26o.png

And the only dmesg line that seemed even remotely related to sound:

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

The LegacyHDA.kext I used was from the /E/E directory in the V3 pack. I'll try some of the other LegacyHDA.kexts from the DSDT directory and append if anything changes. As far as I know, my /S/L/E audio kexts are absolutely stock. Haven't made a single change to those, just to /E/E.

NOTE: *which* legacyHDA.kext you use makes all the difference for having the digital appear!

>> DSDT Stuff/how to patch DSDT/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3outs2ins regular headphone/LegacyHDA.kext (labeled green)

BINGO, YOU WIN THE PRIZE!

I swapped out the 3outs2ins regular headphone kext, and my digital now lists as an output!

Thanks for all your help guys. I know I steered this a little away from regular install issues, but in the end it worked out great! Machinist, you may already have explained this, but can you add your two cents and tell me where you came up with that layout-id, and how it differs from the layout-id in the DSDT readme? I'm happy it's working, but I'd like to know why it's working as well :unsure:

Does anyone know how I can get my nvidia GTX 260 working ?

Sure, I have the same card!

I am assuming that you have done the method described in this guide...

I followed these instructions..

How to add EFI String:

1. Open OSx86Tools

2. Click Add EFI String

3. Click GFX Strings

4. Choose Custom GeForce from list

5. Input name (GTX260, GTX280, it's just a name so it really doesn't matter)

6. If VRAM size isn't in list, select Custom and input it in hex (0x00000038 is 896 MB)

and follow steps 7-18.

* If VRAM size IS in the list then do step 7 and then skip to 16 -> and follow the directions *

7. Select type of connectors your card has (most likely DVI-I / DVI-I)

8. Save as XML

9. Open PlistEdit Pro and load the saved XML .plist file.

10. Select VRAM, look what number is in it (mainly the last two numbers, which can be something like 20 for 512 MB, 38 for 896 MB and so on), change VRAM data type to Data (instead of string) and type 000000 and the last two numbers from the previous VRAM string (00000038 for example). Now it should read something like "4 bytes: 00000038.

11. Save the file.

12. Open OSx86Tools again.

13. Click Add EFI String

14. Click Import Hex/Plist

15. Click Import File and select your plist

16. Click Import String to boot editor

17. Click Apply changes to boot.plist (NOTE! This will overwrite the boot.plist so if you have some other customizations done to it you want to use Save as Hex after step 15 and then manually copy&paste the hex to the <key>device-properties</key><string>COPY HEX HERE</string> in boot.plist)

18. Check Repair permissions and Clear Extension cache in OSx86Tools main screen and click Run Selected Tasks

I did check HPET

lol, I know how to screenshot :P

I have found both of these referenced in the dsdt.dsl

IOService%20Screen.png

I see now, I didn't realize till now that your board is totally different from "ours" (this thread is more specifically about the GA-EP45-UD3R or very similar board)

first it's not a gigabit (which is not really the problem), second your lan is not a realtek, and you are not running off an intel chipset as we do here (P45)

having an nforce chip is quite a dramatic difference... you better find a thread relating to your board, which I'm sure you can find or something more similar at least running of a nforce 7xx, you'll find some great general information here, but nothing precisely related to your chipset.

I bet your audio is not a realtek either.... but I might be wrong on that one

anyway I can't really help you because of that

so all I can say is good luck

I'm sure you'll find info quckly

or you do what I did for my first hackintosh, sell your board (i had an nforce i650 at the time), and get a gigabit, they are I think the most popular for hackintosh because the hardware is the closest to Apple's hardware... good thing for you that Apple has some nforce support, that probably helps a lot...

and don't think you'll see a major slowdown, Intel P45 is a great chip

lol, I knew it was different, but this guide could get me as close as possible before {censored} gets crazy [which is why I'm here]. idk what the audio is, [ACL888 is what it's using I believe]. I don't need 64-bit, I've only got 6GB of RAM, how ever much that gets detected in 32-bit is fine for what I want to do in OS X. I can mess with the drivers once I get to a desktop environment if lan doesn't work. And this is the only thread that people would really answer a question for me....

Is anyone else having issues with slow LAN speed? I started installing apps and noticed this. For example, it takes aout 15 seconds to transfer a 35MB file from my server to SL, over a gigabit LAN. When booted back into Leo, it runs normally and much faster.

Also & I assume it is related, my MacBook and hackintosh can't connect to one another when booted into SL. I get "Authentication Failed" despite having the same username and password on both machines. It comes back with invalid password errors.

Is anyone else having issues with slow LAN speed? I started installing apps and noticed this. For example, it takes aout 15 seconds to transfer a 35MB file from my server to SL, over a gigabit LAN. When booted back into Leo, it runs normally and much faster.

Also & I assume it is related, my MacBook and hackintosh can't connect to one another when booted into SL. I get "Authentication Failed" despite having the same username and password on both machines. It comes back with invalid password errors.

Did you see what Eliade said about Bonjour?

lol, I knew it was different, but this guide could get me as close as possible before {censored} gets crazy [which is why I'm here]. idk what the audio is, [ACL888 is what it's using I believe]. I don't need 64-bit, I've only got 6GB of RAM, how ever much that gets detected in 32-bit is fine for what I want to do in OS X. I can mess with the drivers once I get to a desktop environment if lan doesn't work. And this is the only thread that people would really answer a question for me....

Ok I just looked it up it is a realtek 888, that's good new

for lan you may want to invest in a fully apple compatible card, you won't need anything and BONJOUR will most likely work out of the box, I'm sure you can find one for relatively cheap (even from ebay)

then you need to find out what kext they use with iPC

do you have a Snow leo desktop or does it KP during first boot

not yet, with and without the DSDT I made, it freaks out on my Firewire making a loop [after every 12th iteration of "lol firewire is invalid fffffffff" it says "Still waiting for root device"]

not yet, with and without the DSDT I made, it freaks out on my Firewire making a loop [after every 12th iteration of "lol firewire is invalid fffffffff" it says "Still waiting for root device"]

had the same error in leopard with my previous board (i650), never figured it out at the time, and iPC didn't exist or didn't know about it... that was last year...

for now disable firewire in bios if you haven't tried that

I've got digital out (use it every night) with a GA-EP45-UD3R mobo

I'd get lost trying to dig out what I changed in my DSDT, so here's the whole thing for you to browse

dsdt.dsl.zip

I basically followed the guide - wouldn't know how to customize anything inside that mess...

As for extensions, I've got:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

FWIW, earlier i posted an attachment with 3 kexts that gave me the same results *without* modifying my DSDT for audio in any way...

Works for me, too, BUT not in 32-bit mode.

BINGO, YOU WIN THE PRIZE!

I swapped out the 3outs2ins regular headphone kext, and my digital now lists as an output!

Thanks for all your help guys. I know I steered this a little away from regular install issues, but in the end it worked out great! Machinist, you may already have explained this, but can you add your two cents and tell me where you came up with that layout-id, and how it differs from the layout-id in the DSDT readme? I'm happy it's working, but I'd like to know why it's working as well :P

Sweet this just worked for me too.

EP45-DS3L

Stock AppleHDA.kext

3outs2ins regular headphone LegacyHDA.kext

Removed the other Legacy kexts in /Extra/Extensions

DSDT with a layout for the 888.

On youtube listening to Cypress Hill - Lowrider

:)

Now to wipe my Leopard install and put SL on full time

<--- happy camper

had the same error in leopard with my previous board (i650), never figured it out at the time, and iPC didn't exist or didn't know about it... that was last year...

for now disable firewire in bios if you haven't tried that

Disabling firewire in the bios worked, but now it's stuck on the root device. This holds some clues:

Photo0234.jpg

probeHPET() failed - which makes me think of the DSDT

com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController kext isn't loaded [too early in boot process apparently]

it mentions fakesmc for some reason....

I forget how I fixed that issue with my 10.5.6 install from iPC

I am getting a KP on boot. IMG_1869.JPG

I am using the Kext from the Pack v3. I followed the guide and tried the DSDT I compiled and the one in the pack. both KP at the same spot.

I just watched it again the KP happens just as the line after "DSMOS has arrived" shows up

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: :start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement ) timed out"

Please help. Thanks

GA EP45-UD3P

E8500 @ 4.0GHz

4Gig RAM @ 844MHz

GTX 260 Core 216

I'm back myself. I can't seem to get x64 going. x32 works perfectly (with a touch of work I have to put in on my nVidia GTX 260 for WoW.

Lemme see if I can get a screenshot here in a bit. Did you have x64 issues d00m?

Ok, I've always just read through the guides and never replied.

I have a stable system on my EP45T-UD3R, Nvidia 9600GT 512MB, 10.5.8,

HD is GUID 2 partitions. The 1st has Leo and the second has Snow.

I followed this guide to the dot but used the 8800 EFI string because I couldn't find the right one for mine.

When I boot with -v -x32 it just has 2 lines then hangs Mach_kernel something

Any ideas?

I don't have a blank sata drive to try the install on