[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Hey, quick question, I'm working on getting my stuff running per all your suggestions, but I think I'm going to run the system with the 32bit kernel for now. How would I force the system to boot with the 32bit kernel by default, without having to add the -x32 flag every time? As I understand it, only the XServe will boot the 64bit kernel by default. The rest still run the 32bit kernel.

Hey, quick question, I'm working on getting my stuff running per all your suggestions, but I think I'm going to run the system with the 32bit kernel for now. How would I force the system to boot with the 32bit kernel by default, without having to add the -x32 flag every time? As I understand it, only the XServe will boot the 64bit kernel by default. The rest still run the 32bit kernel.

I think in the com.apple.Boot.plist, there's an empty string tag:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

inside that blank string tag is where you should put the "x32" or "-x32" [i'm unsure if you need the -]

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

inside that blank string tag is where you should put the "x32" or "-x32" [i'm unsure if you need the -]

You can insert "-x32" if you always want to boot into 32-bit mode. I do so because I've got a copy of programs which only operate in 32-bit mode.

I'm getting a seemingly random kernel panic after the system wakes from sleep. Any input? I have removed all audio kexts since I'm using the envy24 driver for my Delta66 soundcard. I'm working in 32bit mode. I'm fairly certain that I received the same panic when I was only using the built in audio with all kexts in. Thanks. And yes... that family feud clip is pretty funny ;P.

post-216107-1251752694_thumb.jpg

<key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>

Yes, that's correct. If you add any boot flags in between the <string></string> tags (I should get around to adding -v -x32 for now) then they will be the default boot options.

Begging d00m's indulgence, I have modified his guide for USB stick/drive installation. I THINK it's right. :o You can download it here:

http://uppit.com/v/LPAOH4D6

Use at your own risk! Of course, comments, corrections and suggestions are welcome.

Can you explain in detail how the USB install method works? I've heard good things about it, but I never used it and had 0 problems. It would have been better to ask first, but if it's worth it, I will add the USB stick install method to my guide. Don't just copy and paste the guide and add a few steps using my old wording though... Either that, or you can make a guide on JUST the USB method and upload it somewhere (giving me the link), and I'll make it clear in the 1st step that it may be easier to follow your guide for the USB installation vs dmg/DVD (and paste your link there).

Ah, I see you are getting sound with some setup? Which layout-id are you using now? Any additional kexts, HDAEnabler or anything? Could you try layout-id "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00" again?

Yup, when I set this to 0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 and reboot, the same kext setup which showed four analog audio outputs and 2 analog + 1 digital input now all show No input/output devices found. It was worth a try though :o

I'm going to try a few more combinations of kexts and DSDT layout IDs though. I will get digital output working on my UD3R yet :)

For what it's worth, all my posts and testing from hereon out will be done with a 32bit kernel platform.

Can you explain in detail how the USB install method works? I've heard good things about it, but I never used it and had 0 problems. It would have been better to ask first, but if it's worth it, I will add the USB stick install method to my guide. Don't just copy and paste the guide and add a few steps using my old wording though... Either that, or you can make a guide on JUST the USB method and upload it somewhere (giving me the link), and I'll make it clear in the 1st step that it may be easier to follow your guide for the USB installation vs dmg/DVD (and paste your link there).

First, if I offended in any way, I apologize.

If you download what I did from the link I provided, I think you'll see how the USB install method works. I did a lot of copy and paste, though. I have two thoughts: If you want to use what I've done and integrate it into your guide, please feel free. Or, if you prefer, I'm happy to delete the link from my post. Just LMK.

I found an app called "DSDT Patcher GUI" that got installed from my iPC install. When I chose my current OS X install, it created a DSDT.aml and .dsl. The dsl appears to be correct for my board, but I have no damn clue how to really check it. [the area for the cmos reset is, in the guide, supposed to be 0x04 and change it to 0x02 to fix, but in the one the app made, it's already 0x02]

First, if I offended in any way, I apologize.

If you download what I did from the link I provided, I think you'll see how the USB install method works. I did a lot of copy and paste, though. I have two thoughts: If you want to use what I've done and integrate it into your guide, please feel free. Or, if you prefer, I'm happy to delete the link from my post. Just LMK.

I would prefer you delete the DL link for what you posted, but I wasn't really offended... Just ask me and I'd be glad to integrate something that would be valuable to others and make things smoother. This community is about helping each other out, getting OS X to run just as well as it would on Apple hardware.

You can take your pick, either you write out a separate section for me to add to my guide and credit you with (having to do with the USB method) or within a day or two (I'm really busy during the week) I'll try to integrate your modded version of my guide into this one and still credit you for the idea to add the USB method.

there is no DSDT :)

not in / and not in Extra, good heavens ( ._.) [the old loader said, "Darwin - Chameleon 1.0"] :)

of course there's no dsdt :unsure: , you have to use a program to make one to start working with it, the pdf in the SL pack says how to make one

an easy way is to use GUI DSDT PATCHER (google it should be the first entry, insanely mac won't let me post the link)

using the one from the pack is pretty much the same just not graphical

when you use that software be sure to check the HPET option

Is there an easier way of making the DSDT? It's a little difficult to follow the pdf guide with the mobo differences. [ie. there is no PEX5 or PEX4 for me]

run IORegisteryEditor

search for ethernet

and make a screenshot of that window, post it

( [COMMAND] + [shift] + [4 NOT from numeric pad] then release and press [space bar] once and click on the ioregistrey window)

@Eliade and D00m42

Wow, this is going easier than leopard!

Have to say the iaslme util is awesome, why did I not find this before!!! Lol!

So, I have to say..everything and I do mean everything is working 100% on my EP45-UD3R Rev 1.1 system.

I have sound, sleep works 100%, just plain no issues what so ever :unsure:

The DSDT is by far the easiest method out and I hope everyone learns just how easy this is.

I would *NOT* do the graphics add-in on the DSDT, as it is to easy to hose a good system and EFI is always a quick couple clicks to add to boot.plist

Not to mention, what if you forgot that you added the video to the DSDT, changed your card and then booted into a non functional system!

At least with using EFI for the video card, it will still boot into vesa mode..

Thanks d00m42 for the guide and hard work gathering all the notes, updates and just staying sane during the incredible growth this discussion has undergone!

Thanks Eliade for the many fixes and solutions, such as the USB fix post.. that was great.

Thanks to everybody who has posted resolutions and fixes!

:)

Just used your guide to install SL on a GA-P35C-DS3R. Used your DSDT and kext's unchanged. Everything works great! (well, except sleep). Thanks! Can't tell if it's faster of not yet, but seems just as stable as 10.5.8.

How important are the frequency setting in the smbios.plist file? Are they just for information purposes or do they actually do something?

I would prefer you delete the DL link for what you posted, but I wasn't really offended... Just ask me and I'd be glad to integrate something that would be valuable to others and make things smoother. This community is about helping each other out, getting OS X to run just as well as it would on Apple hardware.

You can take your pick, either you write out a separate section for me to add to my guide and credit you with (having to do with the USB method) or within a day or two (I'm really busy during the week) I'll try to integrate your modded version of my guide into this one and still credit you for the idea to add the USB method.

No prob. I deleted the post.

@Eliade and D00m42

I would *NOT* do the graphics add-in on the DSDT, as it is to easy to hose a good system and EFI is always a quick couple clicks to add to boot.plist

Not to mention, what if you forgot that you added the video to the DSDT, changed your card and then booted into a non functional system!

At least with using EFI for the video card, it will still boot into vesa mode..

I didn't think of it that way, about what if I change video card someday, EFI is indeed a very quick fix

------

well back to school for my second class

How important are the frequency setting in the smbios.plist file? Are they just for information purposes or do they actually do something?

The smbios.plist is nothing more than to correct the display of items under system profiler, such as your ram speed, processor type (i.e. name)

Just cosmetic and has no impact on the system

of course there's no dsdt :) , you have to use a porgram to make one to start working with it, the pdf in the SL pack says how to make one

an easy way is to use GUI DSDT PATCHER (google it should be the first entry, insanely mac won't let me post the link)

using the one from the pack is pretty much the same just not graphical

when you use that software be sure to check the HPET option

run IORegisteryEditor

search for ethernet

and make a screenshot of that window, post it

( [COMMAND] + [shift] + [4 NOT from numeric pad] then release and press [space bar] once and click on the ioregistrey window)

I did check HPET

lol, I know how to screenshot :P

I have found both of these referenced in the dsdt.dsl

IOService%20Screen.png

I'm getting a seemingly random kernel panic after the system wakes from sleep. Any input? I have removed all audio kexts since I'm using the envy24 driver for my Delta66 soundcard. I'm working in 32bit mode. I'm fairly certain that I received the same panic when I was only using the built in audio with all kexts in.

Well I just tried unloading the envy24 kext and I can't get the system to KP (I could do it easily before), so it's just my specific delta66 card that's having problems. I tried unloading it before sleeping using sleepwatcher but I got a KP right before the system went to sleep. I guess the program and kext are not ready for SL just yet. Either I'll have to setup my system to never sleep, or just use the built in audio.

Thanks.

OK guys, I know at least one of you says they have Digital audio SPDIF output working. Can you:

1. Post your Motherabord model

2. Post the Codec-ID and Layout-ID that you compiled into your DSDT.aml. Actually, if you could post your entire HDEF DSDT.dsl section, that would be awesome.

3. Post a quick list of kexts in your /Extra/Extensions directory.

I'm specifically looking for someone with a UD3R at this point. I feel like I've done everything correctly and I don't know what the problem could be. Analog audio is working well through the green jack, but I'm really hoping to get SPDIF working. I always feel like I'm just one command away from getting this working properly :)

Yup, when I set this to 0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 and reboot, the same kext setup which showed four analog audio outputs and 2 analog + 1 digital input now all show No input/output devices found. It was worth a try though :)

I'm going to try a few more combinations of kexts and DSDT layout IDs though. I will get digital output working on my UD3R yet :P

For what it's worth, all my posts and testing from hereon out will be done with a 32bit kernel platform.

Martytoof:

That layout-id and codec only work with a vanilla Apple audio kext configuration. I realize it's a bother, but could you try it with the stock kexts? I remain curious whether digital out works. The light is on for it on my machine, but I have nothing to plug in.