[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Guys, for anyone having audio issues with a P45-UD3P, do this. In your DSDT, change the layout-ID to 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00. That worked for me using the rest of the OP's guide and I don't need any audio kexts.

I have a different problem though and was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I cannot run IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext because it causes kernel panics in 64-bit using software raid, but it doesn't cause kernel panics AFAIK in 32-bit raid or 32/64-bit using my other single HDD. My machine runs stable and flawless with no KPs on 64-bit RAID after I removed that kext. However, my drive icons are orange and it's incredibly annoying. Anyone have this issue? Is there a kext meant specifically for 64-bit SL?

chrisgnv:

I tried tmongkol's "0x75 0x03..." layout and it doesn't produce sound on my board, which is an EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0) with the 889a.

Alternatively try layout-id 66, (Hex 42 - 0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00), which offers five options and sound through the green line out jack, yielding 2 ins, 2 out and digital in and out. This is with a completely vanilla installation. I know it's not a perfect solution, and a half dozen sound assertion errors display on boot, but it is easy and works across OS iterations.

Seems some UD3Ps respond to the first, layout-id 117, and others to layout-id 66, though everyone who's tried "66" on tmongkol's board, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941, (a great wealth of audio enabling information lives there), has reported success.

Good luck!

as kmare noted earlier

LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

can be removed from the SL pack

When you have a good DSDT from the HOW To, only LegacyHDA.kext is required

(btw I recreated the mkext using the kext utility)

And guess what, I just noticed it while writing this, by removing those kext MICROPHONE IS NOW WORKING

system pref doesn't say none anymore it shows "Internal Microphone"

WOOHOO

(now I need to experiment with sleep , I guess I'll need to modify my dsdt to avoid the removal error after waking up when a usb drive is connected)

as kmare noted earlier

And guess what, I just noticed it while writing this, by removing those kext MICROPHONE IS NOW WORKING

WOOHOO

(now I need to experiment with sleep , I guess I'll need to modify my dsdt to avoid the removal error after waking up when a usb drive is connected)

Nice! Can you post the code you are using for audio in your dsdt?

I read a thread that said that you actually NEED those two kexts along with DSDT to get audio with the stock kexts, but you seem pretty happy, so I guess it did work... I'm gonna have to try this. If it ends up working, I'll update the SL Pack.

as kmare noted earlier

WOOHOO

Please post the LegacyHDA.kext you're using as well, just in case I'm using (and included the wrong one in the SL Pack).

I read a thread that said that you actually NEED those two kexts along with DSDT to get audio with the stock kexts, but you seem pretty happy, so I guess it did work... I'm gonna have to try this. If it ends up working, I'll update the SL Pack.

Please post the LegacyHDA.kext you're using as well, just in case I'm using (and included the wrong one in the SL Pack).

it's the kext from your current pack

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

d00m42:

If you read tmongkol's thread, posted above, or the 888 thread, you will see "perfect" audio requires additional kexts as no Mac is configured precisely the same as any of our Gigabyte MBs. "Working" audio with sound issuing forth from the green jack in back can come from any number of layout-ids. I have personally tried near forty two different layout-ids, with the proper codec-id "0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10", and the only one which worked well was layout-id 66, with the hex "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00" (It does generate the "none" as the mike input, but that can be changed easily.)

It'll be a while before "perfect" and "complete" audio kexts are generated for the 889a chipset, so I choose the DSDT layout-id 66 solution.

Choose your poison wisely.

WOOT it works! Now I TECHNICALLY have 0 problems, as the only issue preventing me from running in x64 is the fact that NTFS-3G isn't fixed to work with x64 yet. One weird thing, after deleting those two kexts related to audio, now for some reason certain cmd key functions (such as copy/paste aren't working...

WOOT it works! Now I TECHNICALLY have 0 problems

yes you doo ;)

You'll notice if you sleep your computer while having a usb drive connect when you wake it up you get the device removal warning

to fix that in you dsdt

in your dsdt.dsl

search

device (USBE)

the next portion is called Device (USB2)

at the end of in the first section device (USBE)

before the closing braket add this

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					{
					   Store (Package (0x04)
						   {
							 "AAPL,clock-id",
							 Buffer (0x01)
							 {
								 0x01
							 },
							 "device_type",
							 Buffer (0x05)
							 {
								"EHCI"
							 }
							}, Local0)
						DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						Return (Local0)
					}

in the following section called Device (USB2)

at the end before the closing bracket

add this:

{
					   Store (Package (0x04)
						   {
							 "AAPL,clock-id",
							 Buffer (0x01)
							 {
								 0x02
							 },
							 "device_type",
							 Buffer (0x05)
							 {
								"EHCI"
							 }
							}, Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}

the whole thing should look similar to that:

Device (USBE)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)
			Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
				{
					Return (0x02)
				}

Return (0x03)
			}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D, 
				One
			})

{
					   Store (Package (0x04)
						   {
							 "AAPL,clock-id",
							 Buffer (0x01)
							 {
								 0x01
							 },
							 "device_type",
							 Buffer (0x05)
							 {
								"EHCI"
							 }
							}, Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}
		}

Device (USE2)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)
			Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
				{
					Return (0x02)
				}

Return (0x03)
			}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D, 
				One
			})

{
					   Store (Package (0x04)
						   {
							 "AAPL,clock-id",
							 Buffer (0x01)
							 {
								 0x02
							 },
							 "device_type",
							 Buffer (0x05)
							 {
								"EHCI"
							 }
							}, Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}
		}

credit goes to ApexDE

at this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=155345&view=findpost&p=1240686

---

You can use this tool to quickly decompile and recompile your dsdt

just drag on the app icon if the file is an aml it will decompile if the file is a dsl it will create an dsdt.aml in a sessions folder

iaslMe.dmg.zip

@Eliade, I have that issue, but it doesn't usually bug me. It would be nice to fix though, so I'll test it tomorrow, and add that new DSDT along with iaslMe (which I meant to add now) to the pack.

I just booted into x64 and all the cmd stuff works fine, and so does EVERYTHING else except that stupid NTFS-3G : ( There was an "ntfs-rw.kext" in the earlier SL betas that allowed read/write on NTFS, but Apple had to remove it because Microsoft won't let them have native write support rights in the GM. There were some people who were trying to port it, but I don't know their progress. I posted on the NTFS-3G support forums, but there hasn't been a response yet. I'm gonna go reboot and boot into 32-bit mode and make sure my cmd keys work. They weren't swapped either, it was just like paste wouldn't work at all...

WOOT it works! Now I TECHNICALLY have 0 problems, as the only issue preventing me from running in x64 is the fact that NTFS-3G isn't fixed to work with x64 yet. One weird thing, after deleting those two kexts related to audio, now for some reason certain cmd key functions (such as copy/paste aren't working...

I hate you guys ;) . I tried it and got no sound outputs. So I added the kexts back in and I STILL have no sound outputs, so I'm worse off than when I started (at least I used to have them in 64-bit mode). ;)

I hate you guys ;) . I tried it and got no sound outputs. So I added the kexts back in and I STILL have no sound outputs, so I'm worse off than when I started (at least I used to have them in 64-bit mode). ;)

Remove the two kexts, make sure to rebuild your kextcache, and most importantly, make sure you patched DSDT correctly for audio and are using the CORRECT LegacyHDA.kext.

Grr I'm gonna have to re-do the poll just to be able to vote that I have 0 problems lol.. I'm so excited!

So I got tempted and did the USB Ports Sleep Fix to my DSDT, and I have to say. I love you lol... At this point, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing EVEN OUT OF PLACE... Besides the stupid people over at Tuxera who have to update NTFS-3G so it supports x64 mode, my SL is perfect. I have to run in x86 for now if I want NTFS write support, but that's no big deal... Tomorrow I'll update the pack to v4 to include my newest DSDT and an extra useful addition or two here and there including iaslMe. Night guys.

I have been at this for hours and I can't seem to get SL to stay up without Kernel Panicking. I have followed all of the dsdt instructions and tried several variations of DSDT (cleanly compiled, cleanly compiled + audio and lan and CMOS reset fix, cleanly compiled + CMOS reset fix) and I seem to continue to get a kernel Panic. I am using a GA-EP45-UD3P revision 1.1 with Bios F9. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.6GHz) with 8 gigs of DDR2 Ram running at 800MHz. My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (512Mb) I have set my bios to match the settings in the first post of this guide and that didn't seem to help. I have been booting with the -v -x32 flags as well. As an FYI I installed Snow Leopard to a separate drive from my working 10.5.8 install. Below you will find an abreviated text of the KP that I am getting.

Please note that the system boots up, auto logs in and then I have about 20 to 30 seconds before I get the KP. Sometimes the CPU is 2.

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernel trap at 0x0027a435, type 14=page fault, registers:

CR2: 0x80010033, CR2:0x3e447000, CR4:0x0000006e0

:::more of this sort of thing:::::

Debugger called: <panic?

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (43 potential args on stack)

:::::more hex here:::::

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: ReportCrash

Mac OS version:

10A432

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0; Date; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/Release_I386

ugh....

tried Eliade's install mod with an external usb drive - everything went amazing until partway into the SL install process, i got a KP!

Upon rebooting, and attempting the same process (booting off the usb drive), I get this message after "verifying DMI pool data..."

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: error

Not sure what has changed - but I assumed my chameleon bootloader got snarfled, so I plugged it into a working laptop and re-ran the PC EFI 10.1 installer on the same usb drive...

re-connected to the UD3R, and tried booting again - same "boot:0 error" problem...

help?

Remove the two kexts, make sure to rebuild your kextcache, and most importantly, make sure you patched DSDT correctly for audio and are using the CORRECT LegacyHDA.kext.

Done, done and done, but no luck. I deleted the 2 kexts, rebuilt my kextcache (and repaired my permissions), I've triple checked my DSDT against the guide you provided and I'm using the LegacyHDA.kext you provided.

ugh....

tried Eliade's install mod with an external usb drive - everything went amazing until partway into the SL install process, i got a KP!

Upon rebooting, and attempting the same process (booting off the usb drive), I get this message after "verifying DMI pool data..."

Not sure what has changed - but I assumed my chameleon bootloader got snarfled, so I plugged it into a working laptop and re-ran the PC EFI 10.1 installer on the same usb drive...

re-connected to the UD3R, and tried booting again - same "boot:0 error" problem...

help?

I'd reformat the usb drive and reinstall PC EFI 10.1/Chameleon and add your Extra folder and contents as appropriate. I'd also make sure that, in your CMOS, USB-HDD is in first position and that it has first priority amongst your drives.

Grr I'm gonna have to re-do the poll just to be able to vote that I have 0 problems lol.. I'm so excited!

LOL

I'm down to 2 issues because i was spoiled with Leopard, lol

first is that [cmd] <-> [option] not saving the swap setting after reboot or sleep

(I'll probably make a small script that does it at boot for me, and a shortcut for when I wake up the computer...)

second is waking up from sleep, only possible by power button, not even by software, I use to sometime wake up in the morning with music even if the computer was sleeping... (using "alarm clock" application)

somewhere on the net I read that it was an UHCI issue, but the dsdt change was made on a P35 board, I tried it on my EP45-UD3R, without success (dsdt would compile fine, but sleep issue didn't change)

I'm to the point where I gotta put the UUID in the PlatformUUID.kext, where exactly should I put the UUID in? there's several points that read the same lol. [from your kit]

right click show content

->content

edit info.plist

there's only one place that says <string>PASTE YOUR UUID HERE</string>

ugh....

help?

Are you running RAID or just one drive?

solved it myself -

it seems my mobo was ignoring my choice of the usb drive via the F12 boot chooser this whole time. Only when the usb drive was put at the top of the CMOS boot order did it work. My drive was fine - the only reason it worked the first time was that I had chameleon already installed on the drive that was at the top of the list - which was no longer the case once I erased and began installing SL...

lesson: don't trust the F12 boot chooser.... ;-)

LOL

I'm down to 2 issues because i was spoiled with Leopard, lol

first is that [cmd] <-> [option] not saving the swap setting after reboot or sleep

(I'll probably make a small script that does it at boot for me, and a shortcut for when I wake up the computer...)

second is waking up from sleep, only possible by power button, not even by software, I use to sometime wake up in the morning with music even if the computer was sleeping... (using "alarm clock" application)

somewhere on the net I read that it was an UHCI issue, but the dsdt change was made on a P35 board, I tried it on my EP45-UD3R, without success (dsdt would compile fine, but sleep issue didn't change)

right click show content

->content

edit info.plist

there's only one place that says <string>PASTE YOUR UUID HERE</string>

Ah well I was about to go to bed but I just wanted to reply to this because I found it ironic. I can't sleep by power button, only by software -.- I haven't tested wake by software, but I can wake by keyboard/mouse/power button That doesn't mean jack to me, because I always do it by going Apple>Sleep in the menu, and almost always waking by just hitting the space bar. Well goodnight (for real this time), maybe I'll do some testing with software waking tomorrow.

Night!

Ah well I was about to go to bed but I just wanted to reply to this because I found it ironic. I can't sleep by power button, only by software -.- I haven't tested wake by software, but I can wake by keyboard/mouse/power button That doesn't mean jack to me, because I always do it by going Apple>Sleep in the menu, and almost always waking by just hitting the space bar. Well goodnight (for real this time), maybe I'll do some testing with software waking tomorrow.

Night!

I can't either ;)

but to wake it up I can only do it by pressing the power button before I would just move the mouse, I least I won't wake it up by accident...

need to seep too, first day of class tomorrow