[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

I was able to run the software update after another run through of Kext Utility. I'm finding that whenever there is a progress bar on screen (eg. installing software, fetching imap e-mail from mail, copying files etc..) the magnification on the dock doesn't move smoothly. If I cover up the progress bar with another window then it goes smoothly. I'm not sure if this is indicative of a larger graphics problem, or if it's just specifically the dock that is affected. Anyone else notice this?

@cyberbobcity

Windows 7 and SL right now = BAD.. lol

I previously identified that having and drive with windows 7 on it plugged in *will* create KP's, random crashes, and even caused ntfs corruption on the ntfs drive itself.

Now, if people have a partition on the same drive as SL, the best thing to do is unmount and leave it unmounted, preventing the issues all together.

Right now I am not sure of a workaround as the logs clearly state SL has a ntfs version issue with windows 7 ntfs data

I would just avoid it, as this gave me days of frustration in the for of KP's, GSODS, and slow sata performance

*Note, this is not just during installation, but once SL is up and running too *

*Since removal, my system has been 100% rock solid and no crashes*

I've got an odd little error. Every time I open iTunes, I get the SLA to agree/disagree, as if a new version of iTunes has been installed each time I open it. Anybody have anything similar with any other app?

I installed snow leopard many times and have seen something similar which basically is the fact that some preferences are not saved, it's somekind of permission issues I guess...

for example once I had the "keyboard setup" screen coming up every time after every reboot...

In my last and current very stable install... I need to inverse the command key with the option key, the setting is set and works until I reboot...

it may sound like a different problem than your itunes issue but I'm sure the root of the problem is the same as mine...

Using the clue of the graphics driver, I removed the EFI string for the 4870 that I found at OSX86 and now it goes past the DMI Pool data problem to the Chameleon boot screen. Then, when I boot with the -v -x32 flags it proceeds thru most of the boot sequence but dies (NOT A KP though) either at:

IOBluetoothHCIContoller:: terminatedWL..done

or at the following screen.

Any ideas--thanks for previous advice too.

Alright guys, I'm awake. Anyways, this is very interesting... I actually have that few lines of text in verbose boot that complain about components of AppleHDA using the stock SL kexts and DSDT, yet my audio works fine (except for my microphone which is detected but doesn't pick up sound. My digital port may not work, but I wouldn't know because I don't use it.

I'm testing a few different LegacyHDA.kexts to see if I can get rid of the "Sound assertion "0!=result" failed messages at boot (although they don't seem do do anything. They complain about AppleHDAWidget.cpp

I have problem.

I followed your guide. Excellent. Thank you.

I've managed to get to just almost before the welcome video on the first boot.

The screen goes from the verbose black to the login window blue, then it turns to grey and I see the mouse. Then the endless colored spinning wheel of DOOM ;)

(I've actually opened a new topic about this, but I guess everyone else is busy with other posts :) )

Please help. I've tinkered with this for 4 days now and this is the farthest i've gotten on my own and by just reading other ppl posts and guides.

Thanx :)

I have problem.

I followed your guide. Excellent. Thank you.

I've managed to get to just almost before the welcome video on the first boot.

The screen goes from the verbose black to the login window blue, then it turns to grey and I see the mouse. Then the endless colored spinning wheel of DOOM ;)

(I've actually opened a new topic about this, but I guess everyone else is busy with other posts :) )

Please help. I've tinkered with this for 4 days now and this is the farthest i've gotten on my own and by just reading other ppl posts and guides.

Thanx :)

this usually happens when you have 2 decrypters loading

fakesmc.kext

dsmos.kext

appledecrypt.kext

are all decrypters make sure you don't have more than one.

d00m42, or anyone with a stable setup and a usb keyboard, I need just a second of your time, please

in system preference do you swap the option key and the command key... if so does the setting stick after reboot or sleep (it did for me in Leopard, but not in Snow Leopard)

if you don't use it could you please try swapping the keys for me (System Pref/ Keyboard / Modifier Key), then sleep or reboot and see if the settings went back to original...

I just want to know if it's just my setup or something going on with Snow Leopard in general

thanks

I have to go for a few hours unfortunately, but I will test swapping the keys (I use it the way it comes however, with the Windows key as the Mac "apple" command key) when I get back. I use a Logitech G15 keyboard, and everything works including the G macro keys, and the LCD : ) Only issue I've found is that the Media Playback LCD app doesn't function properly.

I have to go for a few hours unfortunately, but I will test swapping the keys (I use it the way it comes however, with the Windows key as the Mac "apple" command key) when I get back. I use a Logitech G15 keyboard, and everything works including the G macro keys, and the LCD : ) Only issue I've found is that the Media Playback LCD app doesn't function properly.

I hope you find something because another thing I noticed is that I lose my sound output devices if I boot into 32-bit mode. Out of desperation I tried adding an EFI string for the sound, but that didn't work either.

@Eliade: Speaking of 32-bit mode, I only get the repeating iTunes SLA issue when I'm in 32-bit mode. BUT, in either mode, iTunes fails to find my shared libraries, even though my other Macs are readily viewable and accessible over the network in Finder.

@Eliade: Speaking of 32-bit mode, I only get the repeating iTunes SLA issue when I'm in 32-bit mode. BUT, in either mode, iTunes fails to find my shared libraries, even though my other Macs are readily viewable and accessible over the network in Finder.

That may be because of the lack of Bonjour

a mac may see other mac even without bonjour, the same way it sees windows machine

to be sure bonjour doesn't work, turn on "screen sharing" on your other mac

go back to your Snow Leo hack, from the finder click on one of the Mac, on the top right next to "connect as" you should see "screen sharing" button if bonjour works... if bonjour doesn't work itunes won't see other shared itunes libraries

That may be because of the lack of Bonjour

a mac may see other mac even without bonjour, the same way it sees windows machine

to be sure bonjour doesn't work, turn on "screen sharing" on your other mac

go back to your Snow Leo hack, from the finder click on one of the Mac, on the top right next to "connect as" you should see "screen sharing" button if bonjour works... if bonjour doesn't work itunes won't see other shared itunes libraries

Screen sharing works just fine in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode.

this usually happens when you have 2 decrypters loading

fakesmc.kext

dsmos.kext

appledecrypt.kext

are all decrypters make sure you don't have more than one.

Thanx for the reply !

I only have fakesmc.kext . I've used exactly the kexts that were in this guide's SL Pack.

Before, when I had Dsmos, a different fakesmc or both of them together, I couldn't get "Dsmos has arrived" . So we're passed that. It almost boots completely and then is stuck.

I'm trying to redo my DSDT.aml file to include some HDEF codec changes posted here , and I have one quick question.

When I dumped my DSDT originally in 10.5.8, I got one version of the DSDT.dsl file. I made the changes to that file, compiled my new DSDT.aml and used that to boot Snow Leopard.

Now I've blown Leopard away (I really didn't have anything important on there yet, so I figured why not) and I'm trying to dump my DSDT once again. When I dump it this time, it looks like all the changes I expected to have to make that were listed in the PDF are already made. Is this because OSX read and processed the DSDT.aml file I already fed it at boot, and thus is just spitting it back out when I use the dump tool?

Sorry if this is was asked in a convoluted way, but hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to ask :D

I'm testing a few different LegacyHDA.kexts to see if I can get rid of the "Sound assertion "0!=result" failed messages at boot (although they don't seem do do anything. They complain about AppleHDAWidget.cpp

For what it's worth, I'm 99.9% sure I remember seeing these when I booted 10.5.8 verbosely as well, so it's by no means a Snow Leopard thing. I'm 0.1% unsure is because I don't have my Leopard install I can boot to, to make sure it was the exact same message :(

Alrighty, this morning I cleared 100GB off my HDD and now have room for a 25GB partition of SL :(, I have a few guides in front of me and what I need right now is how the hell do I make a DSDT.aml?

Download the SL Pack and follow the instructions in the DSDT file. There is a very good pdf file in there. Read through it a few times took me a few reads to really understand what it was saying.