[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Download the SL Pack and follow the instructions in the DSDT file. There is a very good pdf file in there. Read through it a few times took me a few reads to really understand what it was saying.

Cool, should it be done before or after the SL install? [what's the name of this pdf? looked and couldn't find it lol, there's only one with a table in it.]

I gave it one more shot today and actally had success. Everything is working as far as I can tell except sound, no devices are detected.

For those that have 889a audio working, can you please provide your info?

Do you have it set up in DSDT? Are you using kexts? Which Kexts? Where did you put the kexts (Extra/Extensions, S/L/E. or both?)

Thanks

Martytoof:

If you still have a vanilla audio kext setup would you please try the following DSDT mod for 889a? Simply change your layout-id to "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00" and if your codec-id is not "0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10" could you change it to that at some point?

This layout-id is found in AppleHDA for the 889a chipset in Leopard 10.5 and in Snow. It shows 2 outs, 2 ins, and digital in and out. The lights are on for the digital ports but I haven't anything to plug in. Sound natively comes out through the rear green jack in all Leopard iterations.

If you have added any audio kexts please remove them, and wipe the caches.

Hope to hear how this works for you.

Just compiled this into my DSDT and rebooted. Sound Prefs shows no input or output devices now. I'm going to reboot with the old DSDT.aml in place and see if they return. Even if it didn't work, thanks for the help!

Edit: haha, for those interested, I don't recommend symlinking a file to DSDT.aml, unless you love kernel panics before the OS even boots :(

Edit2: Yeah, when I booted with my old DSDT.aml, the (incorrect) outputs were listed again, and I can get at least stereo audio through the green port on the back.

A NEW STORY...

well well well ....

after trying to fix my itunes I totally messed it up, I'd get the license agreement each time I lunch itunes in 32bit and 64bit

decided to dump it all and reinstall OSX for one more time

I took a different route this time, I could do that all thanks to d00m42 second packadge

no need to have any system installed (except for the first few step, but you won't need those step to reinstall Snow leopard in the future)

HOW TO in few steps:

1/ get a usb HD or flash drive with at least 8GB, internal drive will work too, format it in HFS journaled (default one) (GUID partition table)

only requirement is that this 8GB partition must be the first one that drive, the partition name doesn't matter, call it "Snow Leo Instal Disk" if you wish

2/ install chameleon from d00m42's pack on that drive

3/ put your OSX DVD in your DVD drive

4/ in the disk utility restore the DVD onto that 8GB partition (be sure the erase drive first is unchecked)

wait 20min

5/ then prepare your extra folder on that 8GB partition as if it was a Snow Leopard disk, with smbios (UUID of that 8GB partition) all your kext (UUID in one of them), dsdt, etc ....

your com.apple.boot should have the -x32 in it like that:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

6/reboot

7/ [F12] at boot to boot onto that drive that has the "Snow Leo Instal Disk partition"

8/ you'll get to the Install screen go to the disk utility format your Snow Hard drive

9/ and install as Apple has intended you to do it from the beginning...

by this way I installed the printers and didn't get the error that we get when installing from Leopard

10/ at the end you get the wonderful message: "Install Successful"

11/ reboot

12/ [f12] again to boot as if you were to boot on that 8GB partition with "Snow Leo Install Disk"

but before it times out, press enter, and you'll see your new Snow Hard drive

select it and boot

(even if the UUID doesn't mach the Snow HD it works)

you'll get to the welcome screen , then you'll get to your Desktop, AND ABSOLUTELY NO KERNEL PANIC, because we installed it as Apple wanted there are no issues with permission and cache....

you have sound, ethernet etc ....

then from here install chameleon

and run kext utility to create the mkext in the Extra folder

Isn't this way to install much much nicer !!!!

d00m42, you should if you want of course, rewrite this and add it as the preferred way to install Snow Leo....

That's how I installed Leopard many times before, except that I had a boot132 on a flash drive, or sometime used grub-dfe, it is so strait forward....

it didn't work with your first pack, with your second it's so smooth....

WOOHOO !

Prob with this guide is it doesn't explain why/what you are doing. There are a ton of kexts that are shoved into /Extra that aren't needed. Guide needs to be streamlined

Following 5 kexts required:

fakeSMC -- emulate Apple SMC, replaces dsmos.kext

LegacyHDA.kext -- if you follow the DSDT guide you will see this is the only kext required once DSDT is patched per instructions (we should soon be at a point where no kext is needed on ALC889a)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext -- disabler for apple CPU management

SleepEnabler.kext -- work around for new sleep call function on Apple kernel (since 10.5.8)

OpenHaltRestart.kext -- enables restart, unknown why needed

Optional kexts

PlatformUUID.kext -- generates UUID , shouldn't be needed if UUID is properly generated at book (Ethernet DSDT patch should do this)

RealtekR1000.kext -- needed for bonjour networking support

Also DSDT instructions need to be updated to include EHCI fix or else you get will get disconnected USB Mass Strorage through a sleep cycle

I've been struggling with a KP trying to boot into SL. I followed the guide but am stuck on the reboot in Step 9, and have tried booting with my own DSDT as well as yours. Attached is a photo of the KP. I appreciate any suggestions you can give me!

post-3246-1251664862_thumb.jpg

I wonder how important is it to have the UUID match the Hard Drive UUID, cause it seems to be running fine with my previous UUID, but at least it's the same UUID in both smbios and the kext....

I've been struggling with a KP trying to boot into SL. I followed the guide but am stuck on the reboot in Step 9, and have tried booting with my own DSDT as well as yours. Attached is a photo of the KP. I appreciate any suggestions you can give me!

Does your DSDT work in Leopard too, a DSDT that works in SL will work in Leo too (the other way around is not alway true, you need to have the cmos fix for SL, but cmos Fix won't bother Leo ...)

i have the same problem - this happens when using -x32 in the kernel flags.

save us! :(

I'm definitely no expert so this is just an opinion, but I don't think you've installed correctly or messed up a step somewhere. I would (and have about 10 times to get SL running) wipe the drive & start from the beginning of the guide, carefully following each step.

Does your DSDT work in Leopard too, a DSDT that works in SL will work in Leo too (the other way around is not alway true, you need to have the cmos fix for SL, but cmos Fix won't bother Leo ...)

Yes, just confirmed that my own DSDT works fine in Leo.

Yes, just confirmed that my own DSDT works fine in Leo.

well thats good news...

do you have an extensions.mkext in the Extra folder, if so delete it you'll recreate one later, it should boot fine without it (in my case without it I just don't get access to my ide drive which is not critical during the install)

A NEW STORY...

well well well ....

after trying to fix my itunes I totally messed it up, I'd get the license agreement each time I lunch itunes in 32bit and 64bit

decided to dump it all and reinstall OSX for one more time

I took a different route this time, I could do that all thanks to d00m42 second packadge

no need to have any system installed (exept for the first few step, but you won't need those step to reinstall leopard in the future)

HOW TO in few steps:

1/ get a usb HD or flash drive with at least 8GB, internal drive will work too, format it in HFS journaled (default one) (GUID partition table)

only requirement is that this 8GB partition must be the first one that drive, the partition name doesn't matter, call it "Snow Leo Instal Disk" if you wish

2/ install chameleon from d00m42's pack on that drive

3/ put your OSX DVD in your DVD drive

4/ in the disk utility restore the DVD onto that 8GB partition (be sure the erase drive first is unchecked)

wait 20min

5/ then prepare your extra folder on that 8GB partition as if it was a Snow Leopard disk, with smbios (UUID of that 8GB partition) all your kext (UUID in one of them), dsdt, etc ....

your com.apple.boot should have the -x32 in it like that:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

6/reboot

7/ [F12] at boot to boot onto that drive that has the "Snow Leo Instal Disk partition"

8/ you'll get to the Install screen go to the disk utility format your Snow Hard drive

9/ and install as Apple has intended you to do it from the beginning...

by the way I installed the printers and didn't get the error that we get when installing from Leopard

10/ at the end you get the wonderful message: "Install Successful"

11/ reboot

12/ [f12] again to boot as if you were to boot on that 8GB partition with "Snow Leo Install Disk"

but before it times out, press enter, and you'll see your new Snow Hard drive

select it and boot

(even if the UUID doesn't mach the Snow HD it works)

you'll get to the welcome screen , then you'll get to your Desktop, AND ABSOLUTELY NO KERNEL PANIC, because we installed it as Apple wanted there are no issues with permission and cache....

you have sound, ethernet etc ....

then from here install chameleon

Isn't this way to install it much much nicer !!!!

d00m42, you should if you want of course, rewrite this and add it as the preferred way to install Snow Leo....

That's how I installed Leopard many times before, except that I had a boot132 on a flash drive, or sometime used grub-dfe, it is so strait forward....

it didn't work with your first pack, with your second it's so smooth....

WOOHOO !

I went this route, too, because it avoids the "no install package" (among other) issues. It's much cleaner, too. My slight variation on it is to set my CMOS so the USB drive is the first boot device and in first priority position, so I avoid having to F12 to the boot menu. After I've done the installation and rebooted into the new SL installation, I install the bootloader and copy over the Extra folder from the USB stick. I changed the UUID in the smbios and PlatformUUID.kext files, but I'm also not convinced it really makes any difference. Maybe this installation method answers your earlier question about how I got Bonjour???

BUT, I still don't get my sound output devices if I boot into 32-bit mode and iTunes still doesn't see shared libraries in either 32-bit or 64-bit. The only problem I have staying in 64-bit mode is that a couple of little programs don't work: (1) Microsoft mouse drivers; and (2) Temperature monitor.

One other positive note: After installation I easily did a migration from my Leo disk (and I've done it from a SuperDuper backup, too).

Having done all this on the EP45-UD3R mobo, my next project is to do a SL a similar install and migration on my i7/EX58-UD3R main machine.

I'm definitely no expert so this is just an opinion, but I don't think you've installed correctly or messed up a step somewhere. I would (and have about 10 times to get SL running) wipe the drive & start from the beginning of the guide, carefully following each step.

I had the same thought, and tried the guide all over again from the start -- with the same result.

The only two things that might be unique to me are:

1) I'm installing on a 2nd partition (Leo is on my 1st)

2) I'm using a nVidia GTX 260, which EFITools didn't have, so I had to create a custom EFI for it via UInstaller.

I've been trying to do this on an MBR drive and have been having issues. I think it is because the modded OSIntsall.mpkg mentioned in the guide is from the latest beta version of snow.

For anyone else trying to tame the Snow on a MBR drive and is having issues, here's an alternative modified OSInstall.mpkg I made from the retail Snow Leopard disc: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jdmwmylxmhm

Okimasa

do you have an extensions.mkext in the Extra folder, if so delete it you'll recreate one later, it should boot fine without it (in my case without it I just don't get access to my ide drive which is not critical during the install)

I did have an extensions.mkext in Extra. I deleted it and rebooted, but got the KP again. The file also didn't get re-created, so it must not be making it to the stage in the boot process where the file gets create.

I had the same thought, and tried the guide all over again from the start -- with the same result.

2) I'm using a nVidia GTX 260, which EFITools didn't have, so I had to create a custom EFI for it via UInstaller.

Well, I'm installing it in an USB disk with only one partition and I'm using a 9800GTX+ which EFITools have and I'm stuck like you

I did have an extensions.mkext in Extra. I deleted it and rebooted, but got the KP again. The file also didn't get re-created, so it must not be making it to the stage in the boot process where the file gets create.

Exactly the same

well thats good news...

I'm glad you brought this up, Eliade. I think the extensions.mkext file is either worthless (if it's empty) or duplicative (if it just contains the same kexts in your E/E folder) or, in some cases, even bad, if it contains unnecessary kexts. Am I missing something?

I also believe the audio issues (no sound output in 32-bit mode, d00m's issues with his microphone, etc.) are in the DSDT file (I'm using his). It can't be deleted, however, if for no other reason than the CMOS reset issue. But I do think the extensions.mkext file is unnecessary unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible :) ).

I'm glad you brought this up, Eliade. I think the extensions.mkext file is either worthless (if it's empty) or duplicative (if it just contains the same kexts in your E/E folder) or, in some cases, even bad, if it contains unnecessary kexts. Am I missing something?

I also believe the audio issues (no sound output in 32-bit mode, d00m's issues with his microphone, etc.) are in the DSDT file (I'm using his). It can't be deleted, however, if for no other reason than the CMOS reset issue. But I do think the extensions.mkext file is unnecessary unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible :) ).

In my case I need it because jmicron won't load just from E/E, having it in mkext loads it, it was the same thing in leopard, until I realized I could just use the -f flag at boot in Leopard, but from what I read -f must not be used in Snow Leopard....

but you don't need it if you don't have issues.... with the first SL pack , having an mkext actually killed my sound, but I didn't have IDE access....

I've been trying to do this on an MBR drive and have been having issues. I think it is because the modded OSIntsall.mpkg mentioned in the guide is from the latest beta version of snow.

For anyone else trying to tame the Snow on a MBR drive and is having issues, here's an alternative modified OSInstall.mpkg I made from the retail Snow Leopard disc: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jdmwmylxmhm

Okimasa

The OSInstall.mpkg mentioned in the guide works for me with the Golden Master release actually.

describe your chameleon setup....

because maybe you are just loading the kext for Leo in SL, which of course won't work and most likely create a KP

anyway describe your setup and we'll see from there...