[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Does someone have issue with sleep ? I use SleepEnabler.kext but the computer doesn't wake up after a sleep ..

sleep is a bit different for me than it was in Leopard 10.5.7 and 10.5.8

before I could sleep and wake up by moving the mouse or keyborad (even though it's usb and wireless)

and I could wake the computer remotely with a Wake on Lan, when asleep

and I could use "alarm clock" to wake up the computer with music

now all I can do is wake it up by pressing the power button, and no other ways

well I haven't try automatic wake up from the system preference yet

all I have are the kext from the second SL pack

and ran kext utility to make an mkext in the Extra folder, maybe that's the trick

btw, how do you know if your video card is fully supported? on Leopard you could just look and see if core image is enabled or not. I didnt use a HEX string yet because EFI 10.1 didnt have my card, but I somehow have full resolution.

is your menu bar translucent?

It is not. I also noticed some lag in the screen saver and expose, so i assume its not. I copied the DSDT.aml file from leopard for snow leopard, and used OSx86 tools to get a hex code for my video card and put it in the smbios file, but still nothing.

Its a XFX 8800gs, 384mb. It is fully supported in my Leopard install.

My sleep works just fine. In leopard, I just went to the apple menu and hit sleep and it was powered off in 2 seconds. I would then ahve to press the power button to wake it. Its the exact same way in snow leopard for me.

For those who don't have working sleep, my sleep was broken at first (EP45-UD3L)... the computer would appear to sleep fine, but when I tried to start it back up, it would just reboot. Then I remembered there was an option I had to check in Leopard before sleep would work called "Restart automatically after a power failure" under the Energy Saver settings. Found it in SL and sleep worked (be sure you have sleepenabler.kext as well.)

Another question for understanting purpose : the -x32 is for loading 32bits kernel ?

So chameleon upload by default 64bits kernel ?

For those who don't have working sleep, my sleep was broken at first (EP45-UD3L)... the computer would appear to sleep fine, but when I tried to start it back up, it would just reboot. Then I remembered there was an option I had to check in Leopard called "Restart automatically after a power failure" before sleep would work under Energy Saver settings, and sleep worked fine in SL.

In SL - Energy Saver i just have :

the two sliders

3 checkboxs : "put the hard disk to sleep when possible"

"wake for ethernet network access"

"allow power button to put the computer to sleep"

?

OK wait, I think I was all wrong about this. I think my sound is actually working. I have four analog outputs on the back, and four output devices listed in Sound Prefs. I have two analog audio inputs on the back, and both are listed in audio inputs, however it seems that my SPDIF port is listed as an input as opposed to an output, since Digital shows up in the input section of devices, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any digital input on this motherboard.

So I'd say my system is actually 95% of the way there. If I can find a way to get my SPDIF port working I'll be back to 100% ;)

describe your chameleon setup....

because maybe you are just loading the kext for Leo in SL, which of course won't work and most likely create a KP

anyway describe your setup and we'll see from there...

That makes sense, although I haven't done anything custom with chameleon -- just a standard setup. I have one drive with two partitions -- Leopard on 1, and Snow Leopard on 2, and another drive with Windows. Is there some other kind of information on my chameleon setup I can get?

Oh, and just for the record, I went back and re-enabled all the power saving stuff in my BIOS (UD3R F9) and haven't had one single KP yet. Is that stuff actually necessary, or just a "best play it safe" precaution? The only thing I left off was virtualization.

Another question for understanting purpose : the -x32 is for loading 32bits kernel ?

So chameleon upload by default 64bits kernel ?

yes

(an I have the same option in energy preference as you do)

That makes sense, although I haven't done anything custom with chameleon -- just a standard setup. I have one drive with two partitions -- Leopard on 1, and Snow Leopard on 2, and another drive with Windows. Is there some other kind of information on my chameleon setup I can get?

so you have two chameleon setup

one on your Leo partition with kext for Leo

another on SL partition with kext for SL

but how do you boot onto your second partition ?

do you wait at the chameleon selection to select your second partition?

if so then you are loading Leo kext and boot file onto SL, cause it only uses the Chameleon in the first partition which has leo stuff, SL is not even compatible with the Leo boot file

it's a pain to have Leo and SL on same physical HD

you need to get a usb flash drive, install chameleon from the SLpack on it with the SL stuff, boot with F12 onto that flash drive and during the chameleon load select your partition with SL on it

Just compiled this into my DSDT and rebooted. Sound Prefs shows no input or output devices now. I'm going to reboot with the old DSDT.aml in place and see if they return. Even if it didn't work, thanks for the help!

Edit: haha, for those interested, I don't recommend symlinking a file to DSDT.aml, unless you love kernel panics before the OS even boots :D

Edit2: Yeah, when I booted with my old DSDT.aml, the (incorrect) outputs were listed again, and I can get at least stereo audio through the green port on the back.

Odd, that layout-id has at least produced sound out the back green jack for everyone who has tried it with the 889a chipset. Which Mobo do you have?

Ah, I see you are getting sound with some setup? Which layout-id are you using now? Any additional kexts, HDAEnabler or anything? Could you try layout-id "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00" again?

Disabling extraneous power saving options in Bios, Ide drives, serial ports and the like is done to allow a clean install. Try enabling them one at a time to make certain none of them kp your new stable platform.

Eliade,

Nice quick guide!

I decided to make a quick installer disk per that guide.

Works well, however I had a problem with the boot file being overwritten by the install of OSX Disk Restore after Chameleon

I fixed it by doing the Chameleon install after my OSX Disk restore to that drive...

Works great!

Now onto a different subject,

Does anyone have a video card with 896mb ram on it?

I have a BFG GTX-260 Maxcore 55 with 896

The reason I ask, I have yet to get the the ram to reflect when building the EFI string.

If I pull profile it shows 0 under ram, I have entered the correct value for hex.. still no go.

I know I can't be the only one with this, just wondering if someone knows a fix.

Eliade,

Nice quick guide!

I decided to make a quick installer disk per that guide.

Works well, however I had a problem with the boot file being overwritten by the install of OSX Disk Restore after Chameleon

I fixed it by doing the Chameleon install after my OSX Disk restore to that drive...

Works great!

Now onto a different subject,

Does anyone have a video card with 896mb ram on it?

I have a BFG GTX-260 Maxcore 55 with 896

The reason I ask, I have yet to get the the ram to reflect when building the EFI string.

If I pull profile it shows 0 under ram, I have entered the correct value for hex.. still no go.

I know I can't be the only one with this, just wondering if someone knows a fix.

That's extremely odd... I know 896MB cards work fine, but I don't use one personally. Can you paste your string here?

@d00m42

I just figured it out, I remembered catching a post from awhile back that also related to the issues of entering the hex value for 896 in Uinstaller or the like for the EFI strings..

The problem was that the hex string value for the ram size does not translate into the EFI string, so a edit is required.

For anyone else who has an odd ball that has 896mb on it, check out this post.. worked like a charm!

Thanks goes out to user keypox for the fix!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...113489-200.html

Well, I am a happy camper now.. I have ZERO problems with my install, thanks d00m42 and Eliade

The Eliade method also worked well as I just tried it on another spare sata drive, much quicker to install that method, but the end result will need d00m42's SL pack :)

Just got time now to try the install [using the AMD guide as suggested] and now with more space that I cleared up earlier. Going to the first line it states that to use a different kernel. Is that needed for me since I've got an Intel processor?

@d00m42 or BillaBongo

Can you please tell me exactly what you've done to get audio working at this point?

Following the guide I get nothing. About This Mac lists Intel Audio, but audio preferences show no devices.

Other than that I can get in 64bit mode and everything seems to be running fine.

Guys, for anyone having audio issues with a P45-UD3P, do this. In your DSDT, change the layout-ID to 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00. That worked for me using the rest of the OP's guide and I don't need any audio kexts.

I have a different problem though and was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I cannot run IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext because it causes kernel panics in 64-bit using software raid, but it doesn't cause kernel panics AFAIK in 32-bit raid or 32/64-bit using my other single HDD. My machine runs stable and flawless with no KPs on 64-bit RAID after I removed that kext. However, my drive icons are orange and it's incredibly annoying. Anyone have this issue? Is there a kext meant specifically for 64-bit SL?

Guys, for anyone having audio issues with a P45-UD3P, do this. In your DSDT, change the layout-ID to 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00. That worked for me using the rest of the OP's guide and I don't need any audio kexts.

I have a different problem though and was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I cannot run IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext because it causes kernel panics in 64-bit using software raid, but it doesn't cause kernel panics AFAIK in 32-bit raid or 32/64-bit using my other single HDD. My machine runs stable and flawless with no KPs on 64-bit RAID after I removed that kext. However, my drive icons are orange and it's incredibly annoying. Anyone have this issue? Is there a kext meant specifically for 64-bit SL?

I am able to use x64 just fine, and that kext causes no problems. It has to do with your RAID setup. You might want to look into the conflict further, as I haven't ever used RAID on any build I've ever done. I think there is another way to fix the drive icons, but I don't remember exactly how. I'll look for it and get back to you.

OK wait, I think I was all wrong about this. I think my sound is actually working. I have four analog outputs on the back, and four output devices listed in Sound Prefs. I have two analog audio inputs on the back, and both are listed in audio inputs, however it seems that my SPDIF port is listed as an input as opposed to an output, since Digital shows up in the input section of devices, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any digital input on this motherboard.

So I'd say my system is actually 95% of the way there. If I can find a way to get my SPDIF port working I'll be back to 100% :)

I'm having the exact same problem with my EP45-DS3L. Gonna try messing with the layouts.

My Digital out works on an EP45-UD3P.. try using the layout ID I posted in my previous post although I don't know if the DS3L uses the 889a.

I'll try that. It uses the 888 so it's a shot in the dark here.

edit: nope. It just says no audio devices now.

I can't even get analog out to work. I just want the stupid spdif out to work and that's it.

Great! a UD3P user! I was pulling my hair out because of no audio, I'm gonna try your audio solution.

By the way, have you gotten Bonjour to work? Also, our boards have dual gigabit ethernet ports but can Snow Leopard take advantage of it? It looks like both ports are alive according to System Pref, but is it just as simple as plugging two ethernet lines in? I just got this board yesterday and I've never worked with this function before.