[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Just dropping by the thread again to say thanks.

Been using the Hackintosh for Ableton/Logic Studio and gaming on Windows 7 for the past couple of weeks now. Smooth sailing so far.

Hi menikmati

That's very nice of you to come back to say thanks. It's great to hear everything is working well for you.

Regards

blackosx

For audio you need a the DSDT.aml in the root of your cham partition and the LegacyHDA.kext for 10.6 in /E/E. You can find both in the support files.

After the guide, you can't understand a single word where, in this thread?

For an initial install, all the files you need are in the Support Files. Why do you want to replace the wrong files in the extensions folder?

I recommend you update to the latest version of DSDT and bootloader from the front page of this thread for restart and shutdown. I have included the details in the 'Part 7 - What's New' PDF.

Thanks again for your support!

After the guide, you can't understand a single word where, in this thread?

Sorry I just want to say, before I follow your guide and Start for the first time SL with the boot CD I have sound, LAN and video. Well sound was only 2 channels and the video only 1024x768 mode and cant detect my second monitor plugger in the video card. But with sound. I used the last DSDT and files of the supported files provided by yourself.

I buil the folders in the Cham partition, paste the supported files un the specific places, and reboot. After a sucsessfully rebooting (this time with the HDD) there is not sound any more, LAN still OK, and video as the begining partially good.

So, after this point I upgrade SL to 10.6.2 version. I also change the Legacy and Sleep file in E/E, but no sound, video partially good and LAN still ok. But a new problem was added at this point: when I try to reboot I have a KP, so I have to rest the PC reconfigure the BIOS (with the guide settings), and come back.

In the backup partition I have the original installation of the Cham, flowless.

Let me know If I understand well your instructions: You change all the hackingtosh files (files and kexts, and all this stuff) from the Cham partition in order to remain as original the SL. And also you build DSDT with koala in windows (I didnt try this point yet, I just read your guide) in order to avoid kexts, and a better performance of the BIOS. So the best way to get the best stability of the OSX you must build by yoursel your DSDT for your specific hardware. So once you have the personalized DSDT you change it with the original DSDT in Cham partition. But you also need some kexts in the E/E folder. This is more or less what I understood. So, if Im wright, where I can get the wright kets? and why I have no sound, and the video is partially ok)

EDIT: This is assuming you have the EP45-U3DL as you have stated above, and not the EP45-UD3P as you have said in the DSDT fix thread.

Sorry I just want to say, before I follow your guide and Start for the first time SL with the boot CD I have sound, LAN and video. Well sound was only 2 channels and the video only 1024x768 mode and cant detect my second monitor plugger in the video card. But with sound. I used the last DSDT and files of the supported files provided by yourself.

I buil the folders in the Cham partition, paste the supported files un the specific places, and reboot. After a sucsessfully rebooting (this time with the HDD) there is not sound any more, LAN still OK, and video as the begining partially good.

So, after this point I upgrade SL to 10.6.2 version. I also change the Legacy and Sleep file in E/E, but no sound, video partially good and LAN still ok. But a new problem was added at this point: when I try to reboot I have a KP, so I have to rest the PC reconfigure the BIOS (with the guide settings), and come back.

Well done with updating to 10.6.2, but it sounds like the DSDT.aml is not loading.

Do you have the DSDT in the same location in your Cham partition as in this image?

post-331032-1265896070_thumb.jpg

In the backup partition I have the original installation of the Cham, flowless.

The backup partition was intended for you to have a second fresh install of retail Snow Leopard.

Let me know If I understand well your instructions: You change all the hackingtosh files (files and kexts, and all this stuff) from the Cham partition in order to remain as original the SL.

Correct

And also you build DSDT with koala in windows (I didnt try this point yet, I just read your guide) in order to avoid kexts, and a better performance of the BIOS. So the best way to get the best stability of the OSX you must build by yoursel your DSDT for your specific hardware. So once you have the personalized DSDT you change it with the original DSDT in Cham partition.

Yes, but as you have a motherboard that has been proved to have an identical original DSDTl to the one I use, then you can use the GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_Generic_v5.zip from the front page of this thread.

But you also need some kexts in the E/E folder. This is more or less what I understood. So, if Im wright, where I can get the wright kets? and why I have no sound, and the video is partially ok)

Yes you will need some kexts in E/E that I have supplied in the Support Files. You don't need anything other kexts.

The audio works by combining the DSDT with LegacyHDA.kext.

Your video is set up to work automatically by using the built-in auto detection in Chameleon by using the GraphicsEnabler boot option in the com.apple.Boot.plist (as shown on page 4 of PDF 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L).

But your video card should work with Chameleon's auto device injection, so Can I ask you to try the latest pre-release v8 of Chameleon by running Dr. Hurt's installer (There's a link to it on the front page of his thread), selecting your cham partition and clicking install. Then reboot and see if that works.

If the video injection hasn't worked then you can remove the 'GraphicsEnabler' key/string from the com.apple.Boot.plist and either add a device (EFI) string to your com.apple.Boot.plist, which I covered creating in my older PDF guide which you can download from the front page of this thread. Or you can add the video to your DSDT, the best way for this is to either use Koalala's ACPIpatcher in Windows to create the code for your video card and paste it in to the DSDT I have supplied, or ask someone who has got your video card already patched in DSDT to show you what you need to do.

You have done an amazing job with the installation guides blackosx. I just bought the same motherboard as yours so I can use your installation guides. Keep up the good work.

Thanks CyCLoBoT

I look forward to hearing your feedback from following the revised guides.

Master of the hackingtosh, Lord of the OSX thanks again !! :(

you was wright I put the dsdt and the other files outside of the extra folder.

I install the osx again and, I made the backup with the time machine (this is the wright way??)

I have sound, LAN and before set the cham start and the other things 2 monitors!!!!

BUT ....

one monitor is with the 1680 x 1050 resolution and the other some wrong one and I haven't the possibility to change this low resolution. I'm using two samsung SyncMaster 2253 NW. So, I install a program that I used in a previous OSX86 DisplayConfigX, the program get the possibility to add resolutions, I'm working on this, I didn't get it but I'm pretty close to do it.

I still have de reboot problem, after a reboot the screen stay black and I have to push the reset button.

If I upgrade to 10.6.2, do I solve this issue???

The sound, is good and crisp, but only two channels, and I'm greedy wright now.. I wan't a 5.1 sound, so How could I get a 5.1 Sound?

Thank you very, very much I really preciate you effort!

blackosx, where did you get the latest BIOS F11c (according to Part 1 guide) from? On Gigabyte's website, the latest one posted is F11b.

See this page on TweakTown

Apex DE pointed me to it.

you was wright I put the dsdt and the other files outside of the extra folder.

Thought so..

I install the osx again and, I made the backup with the time machine (this is the wright way??)

Okay, but you shouldn't need to re-install OS X again as we won't be changing any of the system files on it. All we change is Chameleon and it's /Extra folder.

I don't use time machine but a backup is always useful.

I have sound, LAN and before set the cham start and the other things 2 monitors!!!!

BUT ....

one monitor is with the 1680 x 1050 resolution and the other some wrong one and I haven't the possibility to change this low resolution. I'm using two samsung SyncMaster 2253 NW. So, I install a program that I used in a previous OSX86 DisplayConfigX, the program get the possibility to add resolutions, I'm working on this, I didn't get it but I'm pretty close to do it.

I only have one monitor and have never played with two, but you shouldn't need to run any extra applications for it and I have read about a way to set up but I can't remember at the moment. You will have to search, or if I find it later I will update this post.

I still have de reboot problem, after a reboot the screen stay black and I have to push the reset button.

If I upgrade to 10.6.2, do I solve this issue???

Your restart issue will be sorted with the revised bootloader. I recommmend you download and run Dr Hurt's Chameleon RC5 pre-releaseV8 installer. Point it at your Cham partition and install. This will allow machine to restart.

The sound, is good and crisp, but only two channels, and I'm greedy wright now.. I wan't a 5.1 sound, so How could I get a 5.1 Sound?

Thank you very, very much I really preciate you effort!

I have never used 5.1 sound on my hack, but according to this post by philippebezoteaux it works with the digital coax output.

Thank you blackosx and titan4 !!!!

Okay, but you shouldn't need to re-install OS X again as we won't be changing any of the system files on it. All we change is Chameleon and it's /Extra folder.

I don't use time machine but a backup is always useful.

Well, I'll like to know how you backup the SL faultless instalation ... I try to just copy and past it in the backup folder but ... they are some folder that can't be copy, like keychain, users and some others...

I only have one monitor and have never played with two, but you shouldn't need to run any extra applications for it and I have read about a way to set up but I can't remember at the moment. You will have to search, or if I find it later I will update this post.

I'll be working on this and I'll let you know if I solve it, I don't know if this is an kext issue or just some problem with the vga to dvi adapter, but I switch conecctions in the video card and I get the 1680 x 1050 res only in the right connection...

Your restart issue will be sorted with the revised bootloader. I recommmend you download and run Dr Hurt's Chameleon RC5 pre-releaseV8 installer. Point it at your Cham partition and install. This will allow machine to restart.

once again my master, you were wright, this solves this issue! thank you

So now I'll try with the video resolution on the second monitor and the 5.1 sound... I'll let you know any changes, thanks again

Well, I'll like to know how you backup the SL faultless instalation ... I try to just copy and past it in the backup folder but ... they are some folder that can't be copy, like keychain, users and some others...

If you created a BackupSL partition like I showed in the PDF guide, then boot from the BootCD , swap discs with the OS X install DVD and select it to start the Apple installer. Then install another copy of Snow Leopard on the BackupSL partition. You can then boot in to it from your Chameleon install already on your cham partition on the hard drive.

If you want to make a backup of your current SnowLeopard partition then you can use an excellent free application called 'Carbon Copy Cloner'. Boot in to your BackupSL install and run the app to backup your SnowLeopard install to a disc image (.dmg). You can also use it to back up your Cham partition.

If you created a BackupSL partition like I showed in the PDF guide, then boot from the BootCD , swap discs with the OS X install DVD and select it to start the Apple installer. Then install another copy of Snow Leopard on the BackupSL partition. You can then boot in to it from your Chameleon install already on your cham partition on the hard drive.

Huh! clever as a fox!

Well my lord I've done it with the monitor resolutions!

I download the displayconfigx from DisplayConfigX

and setup with patience and finally get the same resolution in both monitors!

So now I'll go for the upgrade to 10.6.2 and read about the 5.1 config

Once again Thank you

Another thing did you install some extra kext in the extension folder? I was reading about some Voodoo kext....

titan4 I've triying your solution to the 5.1 channels

Here is how you can do it:

Launch Audio Midi Setup from /Applications/Utilities

Click + sign on left side

On right side choose all 3 output devices (except digital one of course)

Click Configure Speakers button

Select all 3 channels on top, click Multichannel button and select 5.1 Surround from listbox to the right of it

Then you must assign each channel to appropriate speaker. If you click on speaker name it will send some noise to chosen channel

Click Apply and Done

Now you have 5.1 surround output you can select as Output device in System Preferences/Sound (you can rename it in Audio Midi Setup)

I followed the instruction but when I click on the speakers there's no sound in anyone, and I change the 3,5 connectors to all the holes.... I'm doing something wrong or I just need something else...

I also been reading about the coaxial connection. But I have 3 3,5 plugs for my 5,1 speakers, there's some spliter for this?

titan4 I've triying your solution to the 5.1 channels

I followed the instruction but when I click on the speakers there's no sound in anyone, and I change the 3,5 connectors to all the holes.... I'm doing something wrong or I just need something else...

I also been reading about the coaxial connection. But I have 3 3,5 plugs for my 5,1 speakers, there's some spliter for this?

You can't split coax, because it is digital channel so you need decoder. It however if used correctly provide best sound experience. But as I said you need to have receiver or speakers with integrated AC3 decoder.

I don't remember it precisely, because it is really long time I did that. But that idea is that every output you have in SysPref/Sound is one set of speakers Front,Rear,Center+LFE. By making that aggregate device you are making virtual output that outputs audio into respective outputs. I would recommend you to try these outputs by switching them in SysPref/Sound and play some music and it should play in Front,Rear or Center+LFE according to selected output. If all these outputs work for you, creating that aggregate device should work fine.

It's hard to remember every post in this thread.

Nobody wants that from you buddy. :(

AsereBLN has released v1.1.9 of his modified Chameleon bootloader. See here for more details. I think it could help with detecting some of the newest nVidia cards and Asere has mentioned using it with his GTX260, though you'll need to read how to do it. I haven't tried it as I don't particularly need it but it might come in useful for someone?

titan4 IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

I tryed again before the 10.6.2 upgrade and I made it!!!!

GUYS I INVETE THE BEERS TONIGHT !!!!!!!!

10 BLOODY PINTS FOR EACH ONE!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU GUYS!! I'M SO HAPPY

My hardware

mobo GA-EP45-UD3L

Video 8800GT

HDD 750 Gb samsung

2 monitors Samsung 2253NW

Great assistance of blaclosx and titan4

So for anyone who wants 5,1 channel connnection and dual monitor in 8800GT this is the resume:

Install the 10.6 SL Following the great master blackosx instruction they are just perfect!

Install the chamalion by Dr House?? in order to fix the reboot problem

download the diplayconfigx program and, with patience get the same resolution in both monitors

upgrade to 10.6.2 (change the 2 files in extension folder exactly as blackosx said in the instructions)

get 5,1 sound following the lord of the soud titan4 instruction

Get cold, BEER and Ejoyit !!!!!!

AsereBLN has released v1.1.9 of his modified Chameleon bootloader. See here for more details. I think it could help with detecting some of the newest nVidia cards and Asere has mentioned using it with his GTX260, though you'll need to read how to do it. I haven't tried it as I don't particularly need it but it might come in useful for someone?

Hi, Blackosx.

How to install this new version? Just copy boot file to Cham?

Is it based on RC5 or RC4?

Thanks.

Hi, Blackosx.

How to install this new version? Just copy boot file to Cham?

Is it based on RC5 or RC4?

Thanks.

Yes, just copy the file. And it is based on RC4 (it is even written in subject of linked thread)

Hi guys;

Thanks for the infromative post, it's helped me almost get my GA-EP35-DS3L ALMOST fully working under 10.6.2 but I'm still having issues with my audio. It worked under 10.5.8 and also 10.6.0 but since the upgrade to 10.6.2 it's stopped working.

I've attached the dsdt and LegacyHDA.kext that I'm currently using if someone could take a look at give me any pointers?

I've also posted a topic with larger description at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1410036

LegacyHDA.kext: GA_EP35_DS3L_10.6.2_LegacyHDA.kext.zip

dsdtt.dsl: GA_EP35_DS3L_10.6.2_dsdt.dsl.zip

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated! I've already lost a Saturday and half a Sunday to this! Just as well the other half is halfway round the country! ;)

Cheers

Gav

Try this LegacyHDA.kext: LegacyHDA.kext.zip

It has BuiltinHDA key deleted for 10.6.2

Thanks for the response but still no sound with that kext. I also tried changing the "built-in" value in the HDEF section of my DSDT to 0x00 rather than 0x01, but still no luck :wacko:

"built-in",
Buffer (One)
 {
0x00
  },}

Update:

Looks like the only errors I have in my kernel log about audio are:

Feb 14 21:58:10 Caribou kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit
Feb 14 21:58:10 Caribou kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit
Feb 14 21:58:10 Caribou kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit
Feb 14 21:58:10 Caribou kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

That help any?

That help any?

Actually those errors should be resolved with that kext i posted. With older LegacyHDA sound should still work, but these errors would show up. It is really strange that sound doesn't work for you even when it worked before update. So you still have the same DSDT as before or you changed that as well ? It doesn't make sense considering your board have alc888 as well.

Dear titan4 I have another question for you

As I told you I followed your instruction in order to get 5,1 sound and I made it. But, as is reasonable, the 5,1 sound sounds only in 5,1 audio files, like some movies or ACC audio files. Usually everybody has mp3, and in this particular case are stereo files, so I have only sound in two speakers. In Windows there's a codec named Fraunhofer, this codec cheat the system and the stereo files sounds like 5,1 (well it distribute the sound in all speakers, not like 5,1 because the files are not saved in this mode). There's something like this in mac?

Another thing, when you use the sound with the added device you cant raise the volume with the volume key, there's a solution for this?

Thanks again

Thanks for the infromative post, it's helped me almost get my GA-EP35-DS3L ALMOST fully working under 10.6.2 but I'm still having issues with my audio. It worked under 10.5.8 and also 10.6.0 but since the upgrade to 10.6.2 it's stopped working.

Hi Gav

If you had sound working with 10.6.0 then there's no reason for it not to work with 10.6.2. The only reason the BuiltinHDA key was removed from LegacyHDA.kext was because Apple changed things in 10.6.2 and it was no longer needed. Though the original LegacyHDA.kext still works in 10.6.2 on my system.

Your best bet is to find someone else, maybe in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread, who has your motherboard with the sound working and copy their DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext, or visit tmongkol's thread to find all you need to get sound working on your mobo.