[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

But if you want to help out and post what oldnapalm's fakesmc is all about, how to use it, what we need and how we can all benefit from it then that would be very useful :)

No prob. So oldnapalm worked with Master Chief to create a modified Fakesmc V2 file that allows iStat to read your cpu die temp. (iStat is a free/donation app by iSlayer that adds system stats to the menu bar). They do this by adding a "TC0D" key and some lines of code from VoodooMonitor.

All you have to do after installing iStat is download oldnapalm's Fakesmc and place it in your /extra/extensions folder replacing your old Fakesmc (BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL FIRST). Reboot and now you are able to monitor your cpu temps for each cpu core.

No prob. So oldnapalm worked with Master Chief to create a modified Fakesmc V2 file that allows iStat to read your cpu die temp. (iStat is a free/donation app by iSlayer that adds system stats to the menu bar). They do this by adding a "TC0D" key and some lines of code from VoodooMonitor.

All you have to do after installing iStat is download oldnapalm's Fakesmc and place it in your /extra/extensions folder replacing your old Fakesmc (BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL FIRST). Reboot and now you are able to monitor your cpu temps for each cpu core.

Fantastic - Thanks for doing that spacr. I already use iStat menus for the menu caldendar/clock, so I just had to turn on temps.. :)

I can finally get rid of Temperature monitor.

BlackOSX,

I hope you can give me some hints on how to solve my problem. I have 2 desktops with the same MB. The only difference between them is that they have a different cpu, video card, and memory brands. On one, SL is running perfectly, no KP's or problems whatsoever, but your V1.02 startup disk would not start that computer. I used the USB method to install SL. The other one is the one that is giving me a headache! Your V1.02 startup disk will start the computer and allow me to install SL, but I cannot get the wireless working, and I get a KP on restart and shutdown. (I have the same wireless card in both computers also.) If I startup with the V1.02 disk and boot into SL, I have wireless but no sound, only 1 graphics resolution, and restart and shutdown work fine. I added the kexts from V1.02 that were not present in the Cham partition. I have tried about 20 different versions of DSDT starting with the bare minimum fixes and adding one thing at a time to see if that would work, but no luck. Airport shows up in the sys pref, but won't turn on, or it doesn't show up at all depending on the DSDT used. What I would like to find out is how can I use the boot files from your v1.02 startup disk and add what I need to get sound and graphics working? I used to have a full head of hair, but don't have a lot left after days of trying to fix this. Here is the basic information on my problem machine:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

4 Gig DDR2 memory (PC2-6400 (400 MHz)) in Slots 1 & 3

NV GeForce 7600 GT 256 Mb

DWA-552 wireless (same on both computers)

Any advice will be appreciated,

Thanks!

BlackOSX,

I hope you can give me some hints on how to solve my problem. I have 2 desktops with the same MB. The only difference between them is that they have a different cpu, video card, and memory brands. On one, SL is running perfectly, no KP's or problems whatsoever, but your V1.02 startup disk would not start that computer. I used the USB method to install SL. The other one is the one that is giving me a headache! Your V1.02 startup disk will start the computer and allow me to install SL, but I cannot get the wireless working, and I get a KP on restart and shutdown. (I have the same wireless card in both computers also.) If I startup with the V1.02 disk and boot into SL, I have wireless but no sound, only 1 graphics resolution, and restart and shutdown work fine. I added the kexts from V1.02

I'm going to reply to my own post here. After posting this, I went to the DSDT fix thread and downloaded the most recent DSDT. After putting it in my Extra folder on the Cham partition and rebooting, everything worked. Sound, wireless, sleep, shutdown, restart, the works. Now why did that one work and not the others that I made? Who knows. I am not sure which bios version that DSDT was made from. I was using F10 when I installed it, then updated to F11b and it still worked fine. So....Blackosx, thanks, but don't try to figure out why I was having the problems above.

Hi etherbunny2 - well done for sorting your own problem and I see it came down to DSDT then? Tricky beasts to understand those...

Also, if I remember correctly, somebody mentioned here before about booting from v1.02 of the BootCD enabled wireless on their system too..

BlackOs, did you tried the openDSDT from psystar? I think it will make things easier with DSDT and it is open source also.

Hi c0h1b4

No I haven't and I didn't even know about it. But I will have a look soon.

NEW DSDT!

As a result from the Gigabyte DSDT fixes thread I have added a new DSDT (built by MasterChief) in my DSDT thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1308358

hey, i got it successfuly installed on my GA-EP43-DS3LR.

Exactly the same procedures. PCI0 and PEGX GFX for .aml file, and PCIE-5 for network, 888-2 for audio. GTS250 (9800gtx).

but i think leopard 10.5.8 is actually faster more responsive (smoother?) than 10.6.1

idk, maybe its just me.

but yea, thanks for the guide it helped me a lot.

Hardware:

e7500 c2d

evga gts 250 512mb

ep43-ds3lr mobo

ocz 2gb SLI overclock ram x2

Hello everyone

Any ideas as to why my Netgear GA311 would stop being recognized under 10.6.1 all of a sudden?

It still works under my WindowsXP, 7 boot though.

I originally built the machine in January with the same hardware as blackosx used for the 10.5.7 write up.

I am running the f11b bios, but it worked fine up until today.

Things I have tried so far...

Pulled the card out and reseat it

Pulled the card, cleared the BIOS and reinstalled card

Thoughts...

If I go back to BIOS 10, and create the DSDT for it, do you think that would work?

I am using the on-board LAN right now, I know rendezvous doesn't work, but since I use static IP's for basically everything, is the on-board LAN too unstable for daily use?

hey, i got it successfuly installed on my GA-EP43-DS3LR.

Exactly the same procedures. PCI0 and PEGX GFX for .aml file, and PCIE-5 for network, 888-2 for audio. GTS250 (9800gtx).

but i think leopard 10.5.8 is actually faster more responsive (smoother?) than 10.6.1...

idk, maybe its just me.

Well done with your install LOLmoe :)

Any ideas as to why my Netgear GA311 would stop being recognized under 10.6.1 all of a sudden?

I am using the on-board LAN right now, I know rendezvous doesn't work, but since I use static IP's for basically everything, is the on-board LAN too unstable for daily use?

Hi poppakristof. I don't understand why your GA311 would just suddenly stop working. You must have changed something? But I use the on-board LAN and it works perfectly for me, although I am using DHCP and if you follow this guide then Bonjour works great too.

Hi poppakristof. I don't understand why your GA311 would just suddenly stop working. You must have changed something? But I use the on-board LAN and it works perfectly for me, although I am using DHCP and if you follow this guide then Bonjour works great too.

Thanks blackosx, I re-enabled the Activate Bonjour script to use the on-board LAN en0 and it's working great.

Hey Black OSX, I do not have the script or the Realtek kext, but my eth0 is working fine.

what's up with that? I forgot to put it on and never got back to it, i just remembered it by reaidng the the post that the fellow posted up there.

hmmm...

but yea, my installations almost complete except I have to put speedstep on my DSDT.aml. idk how to do that.

i also have a problem.

I have a blank skyblue screen when I change resolution, or wake up from sleep.

whats up with that, do u knwow any commn problems?

thanks

Hi gucki76

You started by saying you had issues loading UUID.kext for 10.5 and SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6, but I don't see those errors in your system.log?

As for your posted system.log.....

One error is about JMicronATA.kext which you must have added to /S/L/E which is not part of this guide.

But generally I don't really look through the system.log too often and unless I have an error which gives me problems with using my system then I haven't managed to find the time to really look in to them.

Hi blackosx

JMicronATA.kex is certainly not in my Extra folder - whatever, I do not notice any errors during running of 10.6, so I am happy with the current installation.

Thank you again for your great guide and help.

There is one more issue: I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard and I have installed the Logitech Control Center. However, it tells me that it does not recognize a Logitech device. Consequently, extra button on the mouse (backward and forward) are not working.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Gucki76

Hey Black OSX, I do not have the script or the Realtek kext, but my eth0 is working fine.

what's up with that? I forgot to put it on and never got back to it, i just remembered it by reaidng the the post that the fellow posted up there.

hmmm...

but yea, my installations almost complete except I have to put speedstep on my DSDT.aml. idk how to do that.

i also have a problem.

I have a blank skyblue screen when I change resolution, or wake up from sleep.

The on-board ethernet will work fine with Snow Leopard without doing anything. But the Bonjour (rendezvous) networking doesn't function correctly without the fix.

As for your blue screen, I don't know why that happens. Maybe a video problem?

For speedstep, have a read of the speedstep threads as for now I haven't had time to get around to that.

Thanks blackosx, I re-enabled the Activate Bonjour script to use the on-board LAN en0 and it's working great.

Good news. Well done :(

JMicronATA.kex is certainly not in my Extra folder - whatever, I do not notice any errors during running of 10.6, so I am happy with the current installation.

There is one more issue: I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard and I have installed the Logitech Control Center. However, it tells me that it does not recognize a Logitech device. Consequently, extra button on the mouse (backward and forward) are not working.

Apologies, as I also have JMicronATA.kext in my/S/L/E folder. As I never go to my /S/L/E folder I never thought to look for it.

As for your Logitech control centre, make sure you have the latest version as I have read before that there is a new version out for Snow Leopard.

Isn't this just so that it can build the mkext? and not for repairing permissions and what ever other maintenance it does, which is what I want to do

Kext Utility is coded to find /Extra on the system volume and you can't change it to find the one we put on a separate volume. As for rebuilding the permissions of your /Extra folder, why do you want to? as the Cham volume is set to 'ignore ownership on this volume' in the get info window.

As for your Logitech control centre, make sure you have the latest version as I have read before that there is a new version out for Snow Leopard.

Hi blackosx,

I have installed the latest version of the Logitech Control Center (v3.1) and installation worked perfectly.

However, the Logitech Control Center tells me that is does not recognize a Logitech device - neither the mouse nor the keyboard.

Any ideas on that? Are extra keys on the mouse and keyboard working at all with OSX86 10.6.1?

Thanks

Gucki76

Hey Blackosx,

I've got a friend getting the "Install Failed" error message due to OS X cannot set disk as "start up disk".

Here's the message;

"The installer could not make the computer start up from the volume "Snow Leopard HD". You may need to select your disk using the startup disk utility"

I know that he can set it manually with "startup disk" utility, but he'd like to get an "install succeeded" message.

Any idea what causes this error?

Is the install good if he just sets the disk as startup?

Thanks!

Hi Blackosx,

First of I would like to thank for your guides from which I have achieved a very stable vanilla system. I make regular visits to your posts and would also like to thank everyone for their input.

Regards,

Avid hackintologist :)

"The installer could not make the computer start up from the volume "Snow Leopard HD". You may need to select your disk using the startup disk utility"

Any idea what causes this error?

Is the install good if he just sets the disk as startup?

The install fails as it's not a real mac and the system can't see how it will boot. This is normal in the install procedure, because you then move to the next step and install Chameleon which will make it bootable. No need to worry about using "startup disk" utility.

First of I would like to thank for your guides from which I have achieved a very stable vanilla system. I make regular visits to your posts and would also like to thank everyone for their input.

Welcome aboard Jimmy Jay :(

Blackosx,

I apologize in advance if this solution has already been discussed in your thread. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it.

Have you seen the HPET DSDT fix which runs "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete" this vanilla?

Coincidentally this also fixes the infamous "Timed Out" error in the system.log and also speeds up the boot time! :)

I was able to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Cham/E/E and restart without a KP. I was also able to remove disabler.kext from my 10.5.8 vanilla install with the same results.

Here is my DSDT.dsl HPET edit which would go in after Device (TMR) and before Device (RTC)

Device (HPET)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
				Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
				Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
		IRQNoFlags ()
		   {0}
		IRQNoFlags ()
		   {8}
					Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
						0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
						0x00000400,		 // Address Length
						)

})
		Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
		{	
				})
				Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (0x0F)
				}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (BUF0)
				}
			}

Blackosx,

I apologize in advance if this solution has already been discussed in your thread. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it.

Have you seen the HPET DSDT fix which runs "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete" this vanilla?

Coincidentally this also fixes the infamous "Timed Out" error in the system.log and also speeds up the boot time! :)

I was able to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Cham/E/E and restart without a KP. I was also able to remove disabler.kext from my 10.5.8 vanilla install with the same results.

Here is my DSDT.dsl HPET edit which would go in after Device (TMR) and before Device (RTC)

All the latest DSDT information I have included in my DSDT thread. Have a read of the front page and there is also a new DSDT for this mobo in the files section. It includes all the latest fixes by MasterChief including the code (although slightly different) to what you have just posted. Though the one I have posted has been amended for ICH10 and ACL888 which your mobo doesn't use.

Thing is even with using the old DSDT from my guide we could run without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext (with built in Disabler) (See Previous Post - Note: The Disabler in my screenshot was only to for QT mouse lag and NOT to disable IntelCPUPM) as building your DSDT using ACPIPatcher allowed you to tick the HPET box :)