[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

A very comprehensive guide indeed blackosx. Kudos to you.

Everything worked as described with minimal kext set and even without EFI for network and graphics.

The only problem is the 10.16.1 update:

After the update sound is gone. This seems to be a common problem that also affects "real" mac's.

Any ideas or back to voodo hda?

Thanks

Thank you. But since when did this guide use VoodooHDA?

Audio should be done with HDEF patched in to your DSDT, then using a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

10.6.1 has no problems with that.

Thank you. But since when did this guide use VoodooHDA?

Audio should be done with HDEF patched in to your DSDT, then using a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

10.6.1 has no problems with that.

blackosx

I did not use VoodooHDA but HDEF patched into my DSD.

But sound went when upgraded to 10.6.1 so I am thinking of using VoodooHDAbecause that works on my 10.5.8 installation. 10.6.1 still in test.

So somebody tried 10.6.2 ? ;)

Thanks for tip off titan4 :)

Just updated via software update on my backup install without problem.

Although I had no problems updating I recommend everybody reads Netkas' 10.6.2 post before updating.

And as usual, it's always worth updating your backup install first to ensure everything works as it's supposed to.

EDIT: Check the front page for any latest information regarding the 10.6.2 update.

post-331032-1257804825_thumb.png

blackosx

I did not use VoodooHDA but HDEF patched into my DSD.

But sound went when upgraded to 10.6.1 so I am thinking of using VoodooHDAbecause that works on my 10.5.8 installation. 10.6.1 still in test.

Okay. But you shouldn't need to use VoodooHDA.

Nobody else has ever mentioned any problems with audio not working after updating to 10.6.1. All I can suggest is you double check your ALC888 HDEF audio code in your DSDT and re-add the LegacyHDA.kext from my Support Files.

Thank you for the excellent guide, managed to install the system in aprox one hour.

My config:

GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1 BIOS F7C, Quad core 6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR 800Mhz, nVidia 8500GT 512MB, 2 x 500GB SATA II Hard Drive, IDE DVD-RW, USB Keyboard & Mouse

I used option 3 for install, launched from my existing leopard 10.5.5, did not had to do the fixes for kernel panic afterwards as I didn't got those.

Initially I've skipped Video, Network and DSDT just to see if I can boot up ... it worked, added the Video and Network .. .still no audio. To workaround the cmos reset i saved a profile using as I remember F12 in bios so at each reboot it prompted to reload a good profile. Tried to put the audio using EFI string as for video but didn't worked. I copied your DSDT and now I have audio ... tx again!

I have dual monitor, one is from the DVI output and one is from vga output of the video card.

One small issue. Tried starting Front Row and I just get two black screens. I looked in System Profile ? at the video and it seems it's recognised correctly. I tried to use the EFIInstaller (or how it's called, sorry I'm at work and I have a bad memory with names - or maybe it was OSXTools ? ) to enable QE/CI (I can not see any reference tin System Profile about this in graphics.

First time the tool told that QE/CI is disabled - enabled and reboot. Front Row still not working - checked again with EFITools/EFIInstaller and this time when reading the QE/CI flag it displayed an exception something like Boolean is -1 or so.

Now the question ... is front row working for you in 1.6.1 and if yes is there some app to tell me if the graphics card is correctly installed/working? I'll try to follow also your DSDT guide maybe if I build one of my own will work better . ..although as I understand your DSDT does not have the video in .. .so should not be different? Any thoughts?

To end: Thanks again for the guide.

Now the question ... is front row working for you in 1.6.1 and if yes is there some app to tell me if the graphics card is correctly installed/working? I'll try to follow also your DSDT guide maybe if I build one of my own will work better . ..although as I understand your DSDT does not have the video in .. .so should not be different? Any thoughts?

Front Row works for me in 10.6.2, I don't really use it so I don't think I ever tried it in 10.6.1. But my guess would be yes.

To see if you graphics are working correctly you can check System Profiler to see if it's recognised as the right model.

post-331032-1257806955_thumb.png

For checking QE/CI there is no software I know of that states it in words. But opening dashboard, clicking the plus sign and dragging a widget on to the screen should show you a fancy ripple effect. If you see that then I guess one of them is working. And using spaces, expose should be smooth too.

For checking QE/CI there is no software I know of that states it in words. But opening dashboard, clicking the plus sign and dragging a widget on to the screen should show you a fancy ripple effect. If you see that then I guess one of them is working. And using spaces, expose should be smooth too.

Thank you for the reply, will try!

So update went fine without updating to the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler kext? I would play it safe and update the kext, but I use the modified version that also prevents the g92 mouse lag.

Edit:

Found out the hardway =P SleepEnabler without a doubt needs to be updated. Though the KP was a quick fix. However, I am getting the dreaded mouse lag again =/

So, Anyone got a 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext that blocks the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext that causes the mouse lag?

Or another fix? Aside from just deleting the kext at fault from the system.

Actually there is...or was: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15911

A little utility we used back in the day to check Quartz Extreme.

I see Solow has offered help with this. Did it help you? as Spotlight has been an issue on other threads - have a search for a process named 'mdworker', I think it spends 5 or so hours cataloguing your system. Funny thing is though, is I have never noticed the problem with any of my 10.6 installs.

Never did find the problem. Backed everything up, reinstalled, all is quiet now. I tried watching mdworker to see if it was the culprit, but it was not.

Just finished upgrading to 10.6.2

1. Removed SleepEnabler.kext from my Cham partiton

2. Reboot

3. Apply 10.6.2

4. Auto-reboot

5. Install latest Netkas SleepEnabler.kext on my Cham partiton

6. Reboot

All done. It's only been a few minutes, but everything seems to be working fine, no mouse lag or any other odd behavior (or worse).

Never had such an easy update (well, maybe 10.6.1 :P ) ! Thanks again blackosx !

I have used both this guide and your 10.5.7 guide too. I am having trouble with the boot file to update chameleon though. I created a DSDT file with the CMOS fix, put together all the texts, compiled everything, and all was good for a little while. I booted to 10.6 from the chameleon boot disk. Trying to boot from the drive resulted in a kernel panic. When I did everything worked, included sleep. I updated to 10.6.2 though, and now I can't boot into it with anything. I updated the sleep kext and even removed it, but I think i am going to have to reinstall 10.6 to get back to where I was.

Anyway, I typed in the console commands in your guide, and it gave me the following error "boot file cannot be executed". It tried them in every combination and order but the same result was given every time. I moved it off my flash drive on to my desktop, and that didn't work. I tried to make sure I was using the extension for my chameleon install but no look. Searching with finder shows the files in chameleon, dragging and dropping the boot file just told me that invisible files cannot be deleted. What am I doing wrong? I think if I can update the boot file for RC3 I might be able to get everything working ok.

So, Anyone got a 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext that blocks the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext that causes the mouse lag?

Or another fix? Aside from just deleting the kext at fault from the system.

Here you go, this just disables AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

Disabler.kext.zip

I have used both this guide and your 10.5.7 guide too. I am having trouble with the boot file to update chameleon though.

In folder 4c of my Support Files is an applescript which when run will reveal all hidden files. Run it, then drag & drop the Chameleon RC3 boot file from the Support Files on to the Cham volume. If you need to type your password then do that, if it still won't let you then make sure you have 'ignore ownership on this volume' ticked in the get info window on the Cham volume.

I created a DSDT file with the CMOS fix, put together all the texts, compiled everything, and all was good for a little while. I booted to 10.6 from the chameleon boot disk. Trying to boot from the drive resulted in a kernel panic. When I did everything worked, included sleep. I updated to 10.6.2 though, and now I can't boot into it with anything. I updated the sleep kext and even removed it, but I think i am going to have to reinstall 10.6 to get back to where I was.

It was good for a little while? then what happened?

I guess because you haven't yet installed RC3 boot file that you have to use the BootCD which makes sense.

But then updating to 10.6.2 you now can't use the BootCD (I guess that's because it has the previous SleepEnabler on it - I'll have to update that). Then though, you say updated SleepEnabler and removed it? So how did you boot in to your system again?

You shouldn't have to re-install 10.6 as it's untouched. You shouldn't have changed anything on the retail install partition so it will still be fine. It's just the Cham partition you need to sort out.

Anyway, I typed in the console commands in your guide, and it gave me the following error "boot file cannot be executed". It tried them in every combination and order but the same result was given every time. I moved it off my flash drive on to my desktop, and that didn't work. I tried to make sure I was using the extension for my chameleon install but no look. Searching with finder shows the files in chameleon, dragging and dropping the boot file just told me that invisible files cannot be deleted. What am I doing wrong? I think if I can update the boot file for RC3 I might be able to get everything working ok.

So you must still be able to boot your system, if you 'moved it off my flash drive on to my desktop'?

I'm confused to exactly what's happening with your system, but just concentrate on the Cham partition.

ATTENTION !!

Looks like the new 10.6.2 update is causing KP for those of us who are using GeForce 7 series card.

I'm experiencing the problem myself as well as a few guys that posted comment on netkas webpage.

The KP is showing up right after boot and it seems like there is no workaround for now.

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.geforce(6.0.6)

dependency: com.apple.nvdaResman

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

dependency: com.apple.iokit.iographicsFamily

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

I got this KP too by using GraphicsInjection with PC EFI 10.5. Got a 7300GS 256MB...

Now i'm on an EFI-String with 64bit 10.6.2! I have correct Resolution, somehow QE/CI missing.

Are you sure QE/CI is missing? Because since Snow Leopard no longer let's System Profiler report its status, you should check the same way blackosx just told someone a few messages back. Go in Dashboard, click on the X in the lower left hand corner and when you hit Manage (I think, trying to do this from memory) and you should see the water ripple effect. If you do, Quartz Extreme is enabled.

Jeah i'm sure QE/CI is missing, just added some Widgets into the Dashboard, no wiggling. I never had QE/CI with EFI-String under Snow ;)

Anyway, I guess i'm gonna get me a new Geforce with OpenCL Support! Too bad i was going for some new HDD now I have to buy a nonessential new graphicscard :(

ATTENTION !!

Looks like the new 10.6.2 update is causing KP for those of us who are using GeForce 7 series card.

I'm experiencing the problem myself as well as a few guys that posted comment on netkas webpage.

The KP is showing up right after boot and it seems like there is no workaround for now.

com.apple.geforce(6.0.6)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

Thanks for the heads up with this, I will add this issues to the front page post to make users aware.

Can you boot with -x in to safe mode as others have posted on Netkas' page?

nVidia GeForce 7300 GS:

Chipsatz-Modell: nVidia GeForce 7300 GS

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Steckplatz: PCI

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 256 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x01df

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

ROM-Version: nVidia GeForce 7300 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Monitore:

Monitoranschluss:

SyncMaster:

Auflösung: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

nVidia GeForce 7300 GS:

Name: NVDA,Display-B

Typ: display

Treiber installiert: Ja

Bus: PCI

Steckplatz: PCI

Hersteller-ID: 0x10de

Geräte-ID: 0x01df

Subsystem-Hersteller-ID: 0x1043

Subsystem-ID: 0x0010

ROM-Version: nVidia GeForce 7300 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

Link-Breite: x16

Link-Geschwindigkeit: 2.5 GT/s

Added the EFI-String, disabled the graphics injection from PC-EFI 10.5 and i'm runnning 64bit just without QE/CI :(

I guess i won't buy a new card. The Gurus will find a way to fix this :)

I have the same problem with GeForce 7300GT .

com.apple.geforce(6.0.6)

any suggestion are welcome.

Thanks for the heads up with this, I will add this issues to the front page post to make users aware.

Can you boot with -x in to safe mode as others have posted on Netkas' page?

I'm gonna have to check tonight on this one !

Something I was thinking about is that we could copy back the geforce kext from 10.6.1 and see how it works.

I always use only USB-stick to boot from (enabled in mobo to boot first from). I had no problems what so ever (except removing the sleepenabler.kext and install new one). Efi-studio with 8800 gt and fully working (since 10.6). DSDT is without strings.

I have several USB sticks (with same extensions etc just for backup) and it´s pretty easy to modify them and test how it´s it doing. Also, my mobo allows to choose where to boot from (F12 for XP 64, because 10.5 efi doesn´t support XP).

EP35-DS3R

Q6600

750 GB Seagate

8800 GT Evga SSC

4 GB 800 Mhz @ 960 Mhz

Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ALC889A.kext

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext