[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Thank you for your answer.

I read that, but can't do that, because 10.5.8 was installed on the same and not on another HDD. I'd no chance to change that.

With Leopard running, I can't format the hdd. I testet it with your method 2c, but can't install it here too. It wasn't in GUID partitioned... :)

Unfortunately the system has only Win7 installed :D

With Script Editor opened, you should be able to just drag the ifconfig file in to the window and it will insert the correct path.

Hi blackosx thanks for the tip I think that worked out, path is now just /Extra/Bonjour/ , system log is:

root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/Extra/Bonjour/ifconfig en0 promisc

Now I understand, I was wondering why typing /Mac\ HD/ didn't worked, now I know it was because script is wrapped in quote marks :)

Thank you for your answer.

I read that, but can't do that, because 10.5.8 was installed on the same and not on another HDD. I'd no chance to change that.

With Leopard running, I can't format the hdd. I testet it with your method 2c, but can't install it here too. It wasn't in GUID partitioned... :)

Unfortunately the system has only Win7 installed :D

What version of the BootCD are you running?, as the new one (1.04) is tailored more for the GA-EP45-DS3L as it includes the DSDT for it.

Here's a link to the older v1.02 of the BootCD to see if it makes a difference.....

I used the version 1.04. Thanks for the link of 1.02.

I'll test it...

It that doesn't work then have a read of the install methods section from the front page of this thread where I have linked to posts of successful installs from other users who have used slightly different methods. Mostly using a USB device.

I know these methods... I read about it a few hours ago. The USB-method failed while installing camelion on the stick. I've got an error at the end of installing. So a few important files are missing and i can't use it.

Atm i try your 1.02... I see the perfecto-icon since 9 minutes. But nothing happens... :( But it's only 9 minutes...

I know these methods... I read about it a few hours ago. The USB-method failed while installing camelion on the stick. I've got an error at the end of installing. So a few important files are missing and i can't use it.

Atm i try your 1.02... I see the perfecto-icon since 9 minutes. But nothing happens... :( But it's only 9 minutes...

9 minutes is too long. I think it's just not going to work. You have an EP35-DS3R and that has a different chipset and ICH9R. Maybe try one of the install guides for your board? Have a read of tseug's guide to maybe give you some pointers?

I thought that booth boards have ICHR9?!?

Now its 30 minutes. I don't think that it'll work.

Thank you again for the link. I've found nothing important for my board with snow, so i'll read in that thread a while.

Thanks a lot.

If your video worked from a patched DSDT when using 10.5 then it should still work with 10.6. Make sure you haven't got a conflict with a patched DSDT & device (EFI) strings? also check you haven't used any of Chameleon v2 RC3's video injector settings.. You only need one initiation of your video, either DSDT, device (EFI) strings or Chameleon video injection.

I used to use EFI strings, but ditched that when I learned about the DSDT method. So, I have a clean com.apple.boot.plist from your guide, and I am not using any of the Chameleon stuff.

I thought maybe there was a conflict between loading the dsdt from the EFI partition, so I made an Extra directory on my 10.6 install and threw it in there. Still no luck.

Hello again Blackosx!!!

I just wanted to say thanks again for the guides! I followed your 10.5 guide and now I just worked through this one. I have everything running great! I currently have two drives, one with all my windows junk and then one booting 10.5 and 10.6 using the same chameleon partition. Thanks!

when i try to boot from the cd on my GA-EX58-UD5 I get the following

cdboot: init

cdboot: file size 0004B860

cdboot: reading sectors: 00000098

cdboot: loading.............

cdboot: done

cdboot: BIOS disk read error at sector: 000000011

cdboot: error

sometimes i get

and then nothing else happens

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

I have a completely working 10.5.8 system with a DSDT and Chameleon RC3 set up on my EFI partition (a slight variation from the install doc, with separate 10.5 and 10.6 directories for kexts).

I installed 10.6 in a separate partition, and while it boots ok I don't have my graphics card recognized. I have a 8600GT 256MB, and right now I can only run it in VESA mode. I can get the resolution I need but obviously not QE, and System Profiler reports it as a nVidia card with 32MB. Also, it seems like none of the power management works, since the fans run at full speed.

I assume there should be no changes to the DSDT needed for 10.6, so I'm confused as to why it's not picking it up. Any ideas?

Well, to answer my own question, in case anybody is having the same problem: it seems like my previously-working-in-10.5.8-DSDT doesn't work in 10.6. However, EFI strings works fine. In fact, by some fluke the EFI string for my graphics card made the power management work and now my fans are quiet. So, I'm happy.

I think I'm now going to ditch my 10.5 install and reinstall 10.6 only. It's pretty easy to do now that I have a separate partition for Chameleon :-)

has anyone else noticed the usb problem? i have the patched IOPCIFamily kext and when i restart my laptop (hp 550) my usb ports are working fine but after a while (possibly sleep, still havent figured out when why) it stops working, i need to restart my laptop to make it work again.

Also, while using my laptop, if i take the power lead out and plug it back in, my sound is muffled, very horrible, again, only fix is to restart.

Anyone having these same problems? Any possible fix?

as a bonus if anyone can tell me how to make my second partition as the first boot pref in chameleon would be gre

when i try to boot from the cd on my GA-EX58-UD5 I get the following

cdboot: error

Well this BootCD is for the GA-EP45-DS3L.....

Well, to answer my own question, in case anybody is having the same problem: it seems like my previously-working-in-10.5.8-DSDT doesn't work in 10.6. However, EFI strings works fine. In fact, by some fluke the EFI string for my graphics card made the power management work and now my fans are quiet. So, I'm happy.

Your patched DSDT with your hardware shouldn't be any different between 10.5.8 and 10.6 except extra fixes added maybe, as it describes your hardware and where it is. So unless you had changed, even removed & then put back your video card I can't understand why the video section of your patched DSDT would allow it to be recognised by 10.5.8 and not in 10.6..... strange!. Well done for sorting your own problem though.

has anyone else noticed the usb problem? i have the patched IOPCIFamily kext and when i restart my laptop (hp 550) my usb ports are working fine but after a while (possibly sleep, still havent figured out when why) it stops working, i need to restart my laptop to make it work again.

This is a thread for the GA-EP45-DS3L and has nothing to do with a HP 550 or a patched IOPCIFamily.kext. Please don't confuse this thread with info for other motherboards/patches.

in com.apple.boot change the timeout string to whatever partition it is

ive added

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

to my com.apple.boot but it still boots up with leopard which is the first partition

am i doing something wrong?

sorry, its just i got pointed here from an ex58 thread where everyone is reporting this working perfectly with it :)

Hi retrend

When I say it's for the GA-EP45-DS3L, I mean I have built it for this motherboard and only tested it on this motherboard. The only thing on it (v1.04) that's actually specific to the GA-EP45-DS3L is the DSDT.aml which is built from Gigabyte's BIOS F10, though it only contains basic fixes and the CMOS reset fix.

Sorry for being short earlier, but I don't want issues with the BootCD for other mobo's posted on this thread. If it works then great and I do know that other users have successfully used it on different hardware and I have never made any secret that my original bootCD was based on Superhai's original Dell BootCD, so maybe that might help you? But if other users on your EX58 thread have used it successfully and you can't then it must be a hardware issue on your system... maybe a BIOS setting? something as simple as your HDD not in SATA port 0?

Hope that helps :D

EDIT: Here's my post where I mentioned the original BootCD with the link to Superhai's post.

ive added

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

to my com.apple.boot but it still boots up with leopard which is the first partition

am i doing something wrong?

dakku - as it's a general question......

You need to find out which number your Leopard partition is on....

So, load up Terminal and type diskutil list

then from the results, read the IDENTIFIER column on the right hand side.

There you can determine what numbers to put in the Default Partition key/string.

Got a question for you, i noticed in both my 10.5 and 10.6 installations that my cd drive randomly turns on every 5min or so for a second or two as if it was checking for a cd or something. Any ideas?

Does it? I can't say I have ever noticed anything similar with my system, but the my machine is on the floor out of sight and theres a door of the front of the case which blocks the drives so I would never see the light anyway. Do you notice a lag when this happens?

hello, i'm trying to install snow leopard now from the retail dvd, i downloaded your boot cd and burned it to a cd, but when i try to boot i just get this.

and the computer won't respond to keyboard action. any help?

im using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L with Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 and a XFX Geforce 9800GT 512MB. I have a ATA cd-drive if it matters, my hdds are SATA. Im using a F8 gigabyte bios and have created a DSDT for it, but your boot-cd uses F11b, right? Could this be the cause of the issue?

Does it? I can't say I have ever noticed anything similar with my system, but the my machine is on the floor out of sight and theres a door of the front of the case which blocks the drives so I would never see the light anyway. Do you notice a lag when this happens?

i noticed this behavior with my iPC setup on this motherboard, no lag or anything, the light just comes on every couple of minutes, even if there is no CD inside.

The requirements at the very start of this thread and the front page of the install guide do state you need a SATA DVD drive.. But with the new v1.04 BootCD I have included the IOATAFamily.kext which should allow you to use the ATA drive.. (So his will be a good test)...

As for your error, can you check to see if your install HDD is plugged in to SATA port 0?

The DSDT on the CD is built from BIOS F10, but shouldn't matter as users with different mobos have reported successfully using it. I have only used USB keyboard & mouse as I state in the requirements, but again the new v1.4 BootCD has ApplePS2Controller which might help you? but I haven't tested this.

The requirements at the very start of this thread and the front page of the install guide do state you need a SATA DVD drive.. But with the new v1.04 BootCD I have included the IOATAFamily.kext which should allow you to use the ATA drive.. (So his will be a good test)...

As for your error, can you check to see if your install HDD is plugged in to SATA port 0?

The DSDT on the CD is built from BIOS F10, but shouldn't matter as users with different mobos have reported successfully using it. I have only used USB keyboard & mouse as I state in the requirements, but again the new v1.4 BootCD has ApplePS2Controller which might help you? but I haven't tested this.

both the mouse and the keyboard is USB and are lit up, no problem there. i didnt see the part about a sata optical drive being required but i didnt think it would be a problem. i dont really see how it is relevant which slot my hdd is connected to, since i can't even get to the point in the install where i would have to choose which harddrive to use, but i have a 350gb one connected to the first slot and a ~250gb one connected to the second.

would it be possible to put the bootcd on a usb drive instead? i have an unused usb-drive, but sadly it is too small for the usb-based install. maybe i could add the jmicron kext to this, if that is the issue?