[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I just noticed that extensions.mkext is missing from /S/L.

On terminal, I did "sudo rm -R /system/library/extensions.mkext"

Restart with -v -f but still can not find extensions.mkext in /S/L

I am running SL 10.6.1 and everything is running normal except ocassional freeze while using safari.

Anyone with missing extensions.mkext?

Thanks

Snow Leopard's mkext is no longer in /System/Library but rather in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.

You don't need to manually create one, it's automatically recreated with any modification to the Extensions folder.

"Evosx86 make a replacement to OpenHaltRestart

Until we can work out how to restart our systems with DSDT, we still need a kext to allow us to restart and shutdown. Until now we have been using Psystar's OpenHaltRestart but now we can use EvOreboot to shutdown & restart or hacks. You can get it here. To use it just remove OpenHaltRestart from /E/E and replace it with EvOreboot. "

blackosx,

What are the advantages of EvOreboot over Pystar?

Tks

is there any reason to replace OpenHaltRestart with EvOreboot ?

Nope. Just an alternative.

Hopefully soon we won't need either as MasterChief is working on a DSDT fix.

@helob - None. Just that it has nothing to do with Psystar.

Hi,

here are the news from my network:

after a few reinstalls of the system now it seems that I've an working system without any additional kexts or an efi-string and my video and my network works too! :(

BUT my network works only as 10baseT and it seems like bonjour doesn't work.

I've used your install-package 2.2 and I think the latest boot-file from netkas' PCI-Efi solved my first problem with my network.

Another failure is, if I want to wake up from sleep, he reboots... it seems like he doesn't sleep, he shut's off when have to go to sleep... do you know what I mean?

I think you might need a different LegacyHDA.kext for your ALC889. Check tmongkol's thread.

Thanks blackosx ! It's ok now ;-)

:(

I've a little question : actually my CPU is a Core 2 Duo E4600. Do you think if I change for a Core 2 Quad Q9400 - 2.66GHz, I will see a notable difference ?

My aperture currently run a little slowly ;-)

Thanks again, this thread is a gold mine !

BUT my network works only as 10baseT and it seems like bonjour doesn't work.

I've used your install-package 2.2 and I think the latest boot-file from netkas' PCI-Efi solved my first problem with my network.

Another failure is, if I want to wake up from sleep, he reboots... it seems like he doesn't sleep, he shut's off when have to go to sleep... do you know what I mean?

Well done for sorting your install.

10baseT are you sure? My OS X installs have always shown 100baseT - Like the screenshot I posted before.

Sleep issues could be due to many things, mainly hardware. It has been discussed before in the thread somewhere.

Yes, I'm sure. And if I set it manually at 100baseTX it doesn't work anymore...

If I set it at 1000baseT it works, but the LED on my networkswitch tells me it is 10baseT because the LED is orange and not green

I really don't know why your network is giving you problems. Sorry IM-11. Hopefully somebody else can help you?

Thanks blackosx ! It's ok now ;-)

:blink:

I've a little question : actually my CPU is a Core 2 Duo E4600. Do you think if I change for a Core 2 Quad Q9400 - 2.66GHz, I will see a notable difference ?

My aperture currently run a little slowly ;-)

Thanks again, this thread is a gold mine !

Great :)

A Q9400 will surely give you better performance than your E4600. Check out the geekbench website for some scores, but as to exactly what you can expect in real world usage, I don't know.

Hey I am going to do another install soon, NEW HD. But have had problems with snow, it always seems to lock up at random times.

Anyone else having frequent program crashes that then take down the whole system with it.

Hey I am going to do another install soon, NEW HD. But have had problems with snow, it always seems to lock up at random times.

Anyone else having frequent program crashes that then take down the whole system with it.

My Snow Leopard install is rock solid and yours can be too. Double check your BIOS settings and recommended hardware with what's on the front page of this thread. Use either the BootCD, USB install or one of the other variations posted by others.

Anyone else having frequent program crashes that then take down the whole system with it..

My 10.6 is working perfectly but yesterday i found a weird bug(?): I compiled some binaries for 10.4 in Xcode when suddenly the display went black, and it rebooted. I tried a second time, exactly the same happens again. Only seems to happen with that xcode project. Really strange....

btw: what is your recommendated way to use ATA-Drives. I got one 320, but i removed it for now because i caused me a lot of KPs. I tried netkas' applepixata and jmicronata, neither really solved it, just delayed the KPs for some minutes..

My 10.6 is working perfectly but yesterday i found a weird bug(?): I compiled some binaries for 10.4 in Xcode when suddenly the display went black, and it rebooted. I tried a second time, exactly the same happens again. Only seems to happen with that xcode project. Really strange....

btw: what is your recommendated way to use ATA-Drives. I got one 320, but i removed it for now because i caused me a lot of KPs. I tried netkas' applepixata and jmicronata, neither really solved it, just delayed the KPs for some minutes..

Odd!.. must be something as you say, in that code?

As for ATA, I only use SATA. But have a look at Sigmaris' IOATAFamily / AppleIntelPIIXATA thread. And just looking at it now, it seems The KiNG has just posted a link to a DSDT fix!...

Hi Blackosx!

I follow every step from your guide pdf (except DSDT.aml creation, 'cause I dont use Windows). I used DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e

But I've next problem

still waiting root device

last warning was about jmb8368 & JmicronATA ....

Can U help me?

My Conf

MB Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3LR

CPU Core2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz

nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1024 MB

A-DATA Dual DDR2 4GB (2GBx2)

SATA DVDROM

SATA HDD 160GB (Kalyway)

SATA HDD 250GB (SL)

This worked great but I used the OSInstall.mpkg method (I have no SATA DVD Drive or a USB with more than 4 gigs of space). Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this guide.

The system has been running very stable (everything works) for two days and I am wondering if I should be concerned about permission errors that you warned about in your first post. Please let me know if there are certain things that I can test to make sure the system is stable because I intend to switch to Snow Leopard as my primary OS. I will still keep a stable 10.8 as backup OS on a seperate and a much slower HDD.

Thanks again!

still waiting root device

last warning was about jmb8368 & JmicronATA ....

Can U help me?

Not sure about this one. It's been a while since I worked through boot problems. I guess you do have AHCI turned on in BIOS? Could it be an issue with your video drivers?.. Maybe have a scour through this thread for other mentions of the same issue of 'still waiting root device'..

@Apachi 007

Well done. But, yes the OSInstall method is the most prone to error. But if you have had it up and running for two days then you probably have it okay. Can you repair permissions in Disk Utility? if not, there is a BSD package you can run from the install DVD (search this forum for that).

my BIOS setting same as your on pictures

VIdeo added with GFX string to /cham/extra/com.apple.boot.plist

Update 1.0

Finall i made it. Thanx 2 Blackosx! U R GreatMan!!!...

with other Vanilla 10.6 Mac OS X (maximum version) greating video starting!

Now I wanna create the best DSDT for my conf....ICH10 & ALC888 the same as Ur...& I guess must use Ur last DSDT.aml...

Actually first...i cannot find dsdt _pss method for my CPU...next step will adding states for next:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake DRAM Controller [8086:2e20] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake PCI Express Root Port [8086:2e21] (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev 90)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0614] (rev a2)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card [13d0:2103] (rev 02)

Was stuck at :

...USBMSC identifier (non-unique): ...

Still waiting for root device...

I have ga-ep35-ds3r (F4)

tried all kinds of different kexts and dsdt, but what finally did the trick for me and got me passed this was:

Try resetting your BIOS to defaults, then only enabling AHCI and HPET to 64bit mode. Thanks titan4 & HMiller.

Thanks for that hint!

@Apachi 007

Well done. But, yes the OSInstall method is the most prone to error. But if you have had it up and running for two days then you probably have it okay. Can you repair permissions in Disk Utility? if not, there is a BSD package you can run from the install DVD (search this forum for that).

Thanks again! I was not able to repair permissions originally but installing the BSD package resolved the issue. I also experienced my first real issue since the install which is the system does not wake up from auto sleep. The screen remains black after auto sleep but it works fine if triggered from the Mac menu. This issue may have to do with hard drive sleep that is currently enabled but I haven't had a chance to test auto sleep without it yet. Since I have to rely on my hackintosh as the primary machine, I do not feel very comfortable having an install that "may" not be as fool proof as it seems. Because of this, I purchased a 8 gig USB drive and I will be repeating the install with the USB method. Overall, the system is much smoother than my Leopard and simple benchmarks in Photoshop and Final Cut show about 10% performance increase in Snow Leopard - so thank you for making this possible!

One more question, I noticed that you crossed out the comment about native NTFS write functionality. Is this because you don't recommend it or the comment about reliability is not applicable anymore? I am using NTFS-3G at the moment.

Finall i made it. Thanx 2 Blackosx! U R GreatMan!!!...

with other Vanilla 10.6 Mac OS X (maximum version) greating video starting!

Well done yeganli :P

Actually first...i cannot find dsdt _pss method for my CPU...next step will adding states for next:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake DRAM Controller [8086:2e20] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake PCI Express Root Port [8086:2e21] (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev 90)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0614] (rev a2)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card [13d0:2103] (rev 02)

You are going to have to do some DSDT research and learning for adding _PSS data. :)

And the list of hardware.. What did you want to know about that? adding states for it?

Thanks again! I was not able to repair permissions originally but installing the BSD package resolved the issue. I also experienced my first real issue since the install which is the system does not wake up from auto sleep. The screen remains black after auto sleep but it works fine if triggered from the Mac menu. This issue may have to do with hard drive sleep that is currently enabled but I haven't had a chance to test auto sleep without it yet. Since I have to rely on my hackintosh as the primary machine, I do not feel very comfortable having an install that "may" not be as fool proof as it seems. Because of this, I purchased a 8 gig USB drive and I will be repeating the install with the USB method. Overall, the system is much smoother than my Leopard and simple benchmarks in Photoshop and Final Cut show about 10% performance increase in Snow Leopard - so thank you for making this possible!

One more question, I noticed that you crossed out the comment about native NTFS write functionality. Is this because you don't recommend it or the comment about reliability is not applicable anymore? I am using NTFS-3G at the moment.

I didn't trust the OSInstall method either, but if you have already installed apps and started working with your machine then you can build a bootable USB stick and installed Snow Leopard again over the top of your current install (an archive & install) and that will put a fresh system down, leaving your apps & docs as they are :lol:

Yes, the NTFS R/W functionality isn't recommended, so that's why I have crossed it out.

Thanks for the superb guide, blackosx (I only needed it to create a USB-Stick with SL, but anyway, great work nevertheless!)

I have a small problem on my SL hackintosh, posting here because I have nearly the same mainboard and I also did a lot things to my DSDT you are describing:

My mouse "stutters" or hangs from time to time, just for about half a second. The occurence of this phenomen is pretty random, but maybe it has something to with disk access (not sure about that, just a guess).

My hardware:

Q9650

GA-EP45-DS3 (no R/L/whatever), Bios F9

Logitech MX518 (worked fine in L, works fine in Vista)

using SL 64bit Kernel

DSDT hacks used:

- Speedstep (but temporarily disabled because of this problem; did not change anything)

- Audio

- USB ports to appear as internal/Apple

- CMOS reset, of course

- RTC (because I was lazy and used my old L dsdt)

- ICH10 appear as internal/Apple

Also using Netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 with Ethernet and GFX built-in = y options.

Any idea?

Hey blacosx, I'm trying to follow your install guide and for some reason after I do the disk swap step instead of getting the Perfecto logo with the timer I get the regular apple logo with the timer and the timer just goes on and on forever. Any suggestions? I unfortunately don't have another install to try from or anything so I'm currently downloading iPC so I can have a Leopard install to work from so I can more closely follow the guide, but some people have had success without a previous install so I was hoping this would work.

My hardware:

EP45-DS3L (bios f10)

4GB ram

500gb (that I want to install snow leopard to), 320gb hard drives installed

shappire ati radeon HD 2600 xt 512mb

I had lensboard's old 10.5.5 installed but I stupidly wiped everything because I installed the new drive and wanted as fresh an install as possible. Silly me, now I don't know what's wrong and why I can't install.

New quirk: has anyone experienced excess disk activity since going to Snow Leopard. Sounds like a lot is going on, not sure how to remedy this.

Spotlight can cause this as it indexes your drive(s). I also had some issue with file corruption where I had to boot inot single user mode (use -s with Chameleon) and then running fsck to correct any file errors. It fixed all that disc thrashing for me.

Hi blackosx,

Need clarification on loading 32-bit kernel in SL.

a)In your V2.4 guide under 4b. com.apple.Boot.plist,

You have

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

b)However com.apple.Boot.plist in the support folder under 4b-com.apple.Boot.plist for 32-bit,

It show as

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

Any difference between the two in com.apple.Boot.plist for loading 32-bit kernel?

Using Sonotone Lizard.app, it can NOT detect 32bit compatibility mode using (a).

It does using (:wacko:

TQ for your time.

Well done yeganli :D

You are going to have to do some DSDT research and learning for adding _PSS data. :hysterical:

And the list of hardware.. What did you want to know about that? adding states for it?

Yeap... I did it....build my DSDT from 5 or 6 DSDT which attached in this forum....CPU with C&P-state(keeza's)....Sound, Video, Bluetooth, Ethernet with patched DSDT from another... as the result i have better performance from my "MacPro"...

Update Quicktime & 10.6.1....

If needed I attaching my DSDT.aml & Geekbench result...

But for now....

Not solved some problems

1. I didnt find or patch next drivers...a) D-Link DWA-110 (airport).... ;) Technisat Skystar2 (DVB)

2. My ethernet fix not solved after installing Bonjour...

3. Mac OS not detected some Sata HDD ...(I patch DSDT with SATA fix from pdf guide ....but didnt 've any results)

post-299885-1257347325_thumb.png

dsdt.dsl.txt