[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Update and help request:

So far I have partitioned similarly to the guide (1 gig Cham / 250 gig SnowLeopard / 50 gig WIN7 / 200 gig Media) and booting from bootCD installed Snow Leopard on the SnowLeopard partition.

When I run the installer on the support documents provided (remembering to change install location to 'Cham' and uncheck all options except chameleon standard and themes->standard) it gets as far as 'writing files' and 'running package scripts' during the 'installation' part of the installer then says: "The Installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." A decent number of hours googling proved unhelpful :)

I presume you are talking about installing Chameleon? RC2 or RC3? I use the RC3 installer which I don't think is in Blackosx's support files. It's just a little easier than installing RC2 and moving the RC3 boot file across.

I have had that situation at times, and have solved it by simply reformatting the Cham partition and reinstalling.

Others may have a neater solution.

Blackosx: Your reference on page 1 to DigitalDJ's boot file is still wrong I think. He is using Netkas 10.2 as it still has that irritating CD boot process which was removed in 10.3.

I presume you are talking about installing Chameleon? RC2 or RC3? I use the RC3 installer which I don't think is in Blackosx's support files. It's just a little easier than installing RC2 and moving the RC3 boot file across.

I have had that situation at times, and have solved it by simply reformatting the Cham partition and reinstalling.

Others may have a neater solution.

Yes Chameleon. RC2, I downloaded RC3 and tried installing via terminal commands I copy pasted but I didn't end up with anything other than a 'boot' file in the 'Cham' partition. Where did you find an RC3 installer? I tried erasing the 'Cham' partition- which did not work, maybe reformatting will...

Yes Chameleon. RC2, I downloaded RC3 and tried installing via terminal commands I copy pasted but I didn't end up with anything other than a 'boot' file in the 'Cham' partition. Where did you find an RC3 installer? I tried erasing the 'Cham' partition- which did not work, maybe reformatting will...

Dr Hurt did the one that I use. Type in 'Chameleon RC3 Installer' in Google or

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

Erasing is reformatting in OS X.

So I setup Snow with an X1950pro ATI card, so without QE/CI right. I was going to swap cards with an 8800GT. Once It was fully setup, I wrote the EFI string for 8800GT that EFI Studio gave me to the com.apple.boot.plist in /E/E into a device-properties key, as well as set the Graphics Mode key (for res). I shutdown the computer

Well tbh, I set this up for someone else, they swapped the cards, booted, and now they're telling me that it doesn't load. It hangs at the grey apple loading for them. This is after the system is FULLY setup (Installed, accounts, everything running, ignoring no qe/ci with the ATI card). Hmm I gotta wait until I can get my hands on the computer again, but it should be working right? Am I missing something? I mean the 8800GT should just need the EFI string. When I created it's DSDT in ACPI Patcher, I left the GFX tab alone... Or is it something else?

When I run the Chameleon installer on the support documents provided (remembering to change install location to 'Cham' and uncheck all options except chameleon standard and themes->standard) it gets as far as 'writing files' and 'running package scripts' during the 'installation' part of the installer then says: "The Installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." A decent number of hours googling proved unhelpful ^_^

Hi l2oi3 - In the v1.9 Support Files, I supply the official Chameleon v2 RC2 installer package and just the boot file for either Chameleon v2 RC3 or Netkas' PC EFI v10.3, as the boot file is the only file that's needed on your system to upgrade to RC3.

An official installer for Chameleon v2 RC3 doesn't exist as there have been reported problems with the package installer and the official word from the Chameleon team is to install it manually. There are instructions in the binary package on how to do this.

Alternatively, as imacken has said, Dr. Hurt made his own installer for RC3 (which is not supported by the Chameleon team), so try that if you want to.

As for searching the internet for information to why your install failed, you could always try the front page of this thread...There is a 'Common Problems' section at the bottom of the front page which mentions the problem you are having.

Blackosx: Your reference on page 1 to DigitalDJ's boot file is still wrong I think. He is using Netkas 10.2 as it still has that irritating CD boot process which was removed in 10.3.

Thanks imacken - I have updated the front page and now it should read correctly.

So I setup Snow with an X1950pro ATI card, so without QE/CI right. I was going to swap cards with an 8800GT. Once It was fully setup, I wrote the EFI string for 8800GT that EFI Studio gave me to the com.apple.boot.plist in /E/E into a device-properties key, as well as set the Graphics Mode key (for res). I shutdown the computer

Well tbh, I set this up for someone else, they swapped the cards, booted, and now they're telling me that it doesn't load. It hangs at the grey apple loading for them. This is after the system is FULLY setup (Installed, accounts, everything running, ignoring no qe/ci with the ATI card). Hmm I gotta wait until I can get my hands on the computer again, but it should be working right? Am I missing something? I mean the 8800GT should just need the EFI string. When I created it's DSDT in ACPI Patcher, I left the GFX tab alone... Or is it something else?

Hi EnzoFX

Yes it should be working. I suggest removing the device (EFI) string in com.apple.Boot.plist to rule out that is causing the problem. Maybe the device (EFI) string added was slightly incorrect? Use the BootCD to get you in to your system.

But you are correct, the 8800GT should just need a device (EFI) string to function with QE/CI. I used to do it this way with mine before I patched my DSDT with the video.

HI Blacksox,

I still have trouble on booting up SL after installation.

I have gone through this pages with your topic.

I have found someone having the same Motherboard

similar config are still having the KP while boot with no reason.

But I have found that they are all having Q6600 quar core.

And a guy here he told you that he can only boot up with RCI only.

I am also the same as that guy. Only have boot up only on your

early guide which using RC1. While for RC2,RC3 and netkas has

never been boot up normal only KP.

I do suspect that there may having problem with the Q6600 with

RC2 or Upper version.

Would anyone here having the same issue as mine?

Fatfish

I do suspect that there may having problem with the Q6600 with

RC2 or Upper version.

I use a Q6600 and RC3 with no issues. Try manual installation of Chameleon...there are instructions included with the binary download.

Hello, I'm not working the sound, would you give me a hand to solve the problem?

thanks

This install guide and the front page of this thread mentions building a DSDT and links you to my DSDT guide. That guide shows you what to do to get audio working and the Support Files on the front page of this thread contains the kext you will also need.

This install guide and the front page of this thread mentions building a DSDT and links you to my DSDT guide. That guide shows you what to do to get audio working and the Support Files on the front page of this thread contains the kext you will also need.

thanks

Hi to all :-)

10.6.1 is performing veery well and flawlessly so far for me. Finally Gigabyte released a beta BIOS (F10a -> AHCI BIOS v1.20e added) for GA-EP43-DS3. Downloaded, installed, repatched the DSDT and wow :-), everything's working nice again and the system boots faster.

Blackosx, i used again your DSDT guide as reference for building and further patching my DSDT. Thanx again. Nice and well done. :D

And a little reminder for all following this thread, searching for answers: just read carefully the provided guide. it's all there ;)

:)

IT WORKED!!!

I can report that you can relatively easily install 10.6.0 without having a 10.5.X installation and DSDT ahead of time. I managed to boot right into Snow Leopard after installing it using the bootcd (provided in guide) and then do all the chameleon installation (note: Chameleon RC2 installer won't work in SL, but Dr. Hurt's unofficial RC3 installer did http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766) and DSDT installation (I used blackosx's DSDT guide).

Edit: So I have some sort of booming when i start audio and my info isn't right in the system profiler (for purposes of silverlight/netflix thing), but I distinctly remember reading about that in this thread so I'll worry about that another day :angel:

Just a follow-up to keep from pointing anyone in the wrong direction..

I think my issues are related to a failing power supply. Going back to F10 did not solve the issues and after a year of stability suddenly this box cant handle anything that puts the video card under high load. Tried a few different Nvidia cards, RAM, currently don't have a spare PS to test with so a new PS is in route, I'll reply when certain...should be Wed afternoon.

I installed a new PS today and it seems to have solved my stability issues. I am using the F11b BIOS and everything is working very well.

IT WORKED!!!

I can report that you can relatively easily install 10.6.0 without having a 10.5.X installation and DSDT ahead of time. I managed to boot right into Snow Leopard after installing it using the bootcd (provided in guide) and then do all the chameleon installation (note: Chameleon RC2 installer won't work in SL, but Dr. Hurt's unofficial RC3 installer did http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766) and DSDT installation (I used blackosx's DSDT guide).

Edit: So I have some sort of booming when i start audio and my info isn't right in the system profiler (for purposes of silverlight/netflix thing), but I distinctly remember reading about that in this thread so I'll worry about that another day :P

by blackosx: • The initial audio pop that occurs after a period of not using any sound can be fixed by changing the name of macintosh model in your SMBIOS.plist. To do this, find <key>SMproductname</key> and change the key to read to <string>MacPro1,1</string>.

IT WORKED!!!

Well done with your install and thanks for confirming the BootCD helped you get installed without a previous 10.5 installation. I will point to your post from the install methods section on the front page to show it's possible.

@itorra - Thanks for answering l2oi3's question.

BlackOSX,

thanks 4 your guide ! :D

I did boot with your boot CD and installed retail Snow Leopard Server on my computer.

All running fine - except audio (889a) not your fault, it's those .kexts....

Edit: Audio now OK after DSDT "updating" (coax digital out on ALC889a / ALC885)

post-55980-1255168428_thumb.jpg

post-55980-1255168254_thumb.jpg

post-55980-1255168294_thumb.jpg

post-55980-1255168392_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to note that I have been running with the 64bit kernel and I have had zero issues, it runs very well.

edit: The only issue I am having with both 32bit and 64bit is an occasional funky mouse cursor. Sometimes it does not 'feel' right and other times it will jump a few inches. It does not always do it but it is pretty annoying. Any suggestions? Otherwise its solid, ran it all day to do my normal UNIX sysadmin work without any issues.

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

I have a completely working 10.5.8 system with a DSDT and Chameleon RC3 set up on my EFI partition (a slight variation from the install doc, with separate 10.5 and 10.6 directories for kexts).

I installed 10.6 in a separate partition, and while it boots ok I don't have my graphics card recognized. I have a 8600GT 256MB, and right now I can only run it in VESA mode. I can get the resolution I need but obviously not QE, and System Profiler reports it as a nVidia card with 32MB. Also, it seems like none of the power management works, since the fans run at full speed.

I assume there should be no changes to the DSDT needed for 10.6, so I'm confused as to why it's not picking it up. Any ideas?

I have a completely working 10.5.8 system with a DSDT and Chameleon RC3 set up on my EFI partition (a slight variation from the install doc, with separate 10.5 and 10.6 directories for kexts).

I installed 10.6 in a separate partition, and while it boots ok I don't have my graphics card recognized. I have a 8600GT 256MB, and right now I can only run it in VESA mode. I can get the resolution I need but obviously not QE, and System Profiler reports it as a nVidia card with 32MB. Also, it seems like none of the power management works, since the fans run at full speed.

I assume there should be no changes to the DSDT needed for 10.6, so I'm confused as to why it's not picking it up. Any ideas?

I am not up to date on the current 'best' way to do things with OSX but I would get a copy of OSX86Tools and use it to insert the correct video card EFI info. Run it and use "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" then select "GFX Strings", pick the right card (or close) and then click 'Import String..." then "apply chagnes to com.apple.boot.plist" and reboot. If that method is way out of date I am sorry..but it worked for me.

BlackOSX,

thanks 4 your guide ! :)

I did boot with your boot CD and I installed Snow Leopard Server on my computer.

All running fine - except audio (889a) not your fault, it's those .kexts....

Good work me@home' - Well done ;)

Just wanted to note that I have been running with the 64bit kernel and I have had zero issues, it runs very well.

edit: The only issue I am having with both 32bit and 64bit is an occasional funky mouse cursor. Sometimes it does not 'feel' right and other times it will jump a few inches. It does not always do it but it is pretty annoying. Any suggestions? Otherwise its solid, ran it all day to do my normal UNIX sysadmin work without any issues.

The only time I have ever had my mouse jump was when quicktime was active, because of the quicktime mouse lag bug. Is this the case for you?

If your video worked from a patched DSDT when using 10.5 then it should still work with 10.6. Make sure you haven't got a conflict with a patched DSDT & device (EFI) strings? also check you haven't used any of Chameleon v2 RC3's video injector settings.. You only need one initiation of your video, either DSDT, device (EFI) strings or Chameleon video injection.

hi blackosx!

i´ll try your retail guide this weekend, but have a couple of questions:

i have 2 drives, 1st drive is @ sata port0 with a vista and leopard installation on it, the 2nd drive is connected to sata port1 and empty (will be formated as GUID/cham/SL according to your guide).

so, after i have installed snow leopard on the 2nd drive i will have to edit the com.apple.boot.plist.

but as the drive is connected to sata port1 i will have to do a <key>Default Partition</key> and <string>hd(1,3)</string> ??? am i right?

do i have to plug the drive into sata port0 for installation purposes or is it okay to leave it in port1 and rearange the string in com.apple.boot.plist as mentioned above?

another thing i´m asking myself is about booting:

currently i am using easybcd which gives me a prompt which os to boot (vista or leopard) after booting. will this method still work although (snow leopard in this case) osx is installed on a different drive and not just a different partition on the same drive?

or will i have to press F12 every time i boot to choose the right hd to boot from??

any help is much appreciated!!

thanks in advance :)

Thanks blackosx for the great guide!

I installed and everything running super slick here!

I used usb install method and I'm running only these kext's on my configuration

CPUInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Only little issue is that I named my system drive Mac HD and now Bonjour script won't load

I think because of the space in the volume name.

How do I input space correctly in Terminal (in this case script editor)?

hi blackosx!

i´ll try your retail guide this weekend, but have a couple of questions:

Hi rramon,

I would disconnect your HDD with Vista/Leopard and plug your empty HDD in to SATA 0. Then follow this install guide with the single drive.

After you have finished installing this guide on your empty HDD with Snow Leopard and Chameleon v2 RC3, you can then decide how you want to boot it.

Connect both HDD's back to SATA0 and SATA1 then set the BIOS to boot whichever one you want as default.

If you choose the new HDD as the default in BIOS then Chameleon will present you with your new Snow Leopard install, your existing Vista install and Leopard install, allowing you to choose which one you boot from. This is the route I would personally choose and will make life easier for you as you won't need to press F12. It is here in Chameleon's com.apple.Boot.plist that you can set the Default Partition key to point to a particular partition as default.

If you choose your existing HDD as the default in BIOS then you will see the existing windows bootloader upon boot. You will need to add the new Snow Leopard install to EasyBCD to get it to show. But as you rightly ask, will it work even though SL is on another drive? - i don't know, but I think it should.

Whichever way is up to you. Good luck :)

Only little issue is that I named my system drive Mac HD and now Bonjour script won't load

I think because of the space in the volume name.

How do I input space correctly in Terminal (in this case script editor)?

Hi donmarconi - Well done to you :)

For the Bonjour script, I would have thought because it was wrapped in quote marks that it would work with a space in.? If it doesn't then hopefully somebody here can help? maybe do something link Mac \HD/?

EDIT: With Script Editor opened, you should be able to just drag the ifconfig file in to the window and it will insert the correct path.

I testet to install Snow Leopard on my PC (QuadCore 2,66 ; Gigabyte EP35-DS3R ; ATI 4870...)

Booting from the boot-cd is okay, when i change to the installation, it begins to load the setup. But after 40 minutes running this setup, nothing happens. The hole time it shows the startupscreen, no setup :)

It loads and loads... I testet it a several times.

Does anyone have any idea, which problems that could be? Before this, XP and 10.5.8 runnning on this PC.

@ Memphis999 - It's probably your Radeon 4870 causing the issue. Have a search through this thread as I think someone else had this issue a while back?

Yep - There's a link to this issue on the front page of this thread! Have a read of bero's post here.