[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

On the front page, there is a link to shamansanchez's post who restored the retail DVD to a separate partition and then booted from a USB stick just to initiate the install image on the HD partition. Could be worth a try?

will do, thank you ;)

will do, thank you ;)

Okay. Let me know how you get on as although it's in the 'install methods' section of the front page, maybe I could make that method more prominent?

You can easily build a bootable USB by following the install guide, just don't put the OS X image on to it. Then hopefully, from Chameleon you can select the restored SL image on the partition..

@zawx,blackosx

I had the same problem with the boot cd, but as soon as I noticed this problem I knew it's because my PATA DVD.

If you say that it should work on 1.04 with PATA DVD I wouldn't count it cause it's not.

I moved right away to the USB method and haven't noticed a problem, everything went smoothly.

@zawx,blackosx

I had the same problem with the boot cd, but as soon as I noticed this problem I knew it's because my PATA DVD.

If you say that it should work on 1.04 with PATA DVD I wouldn't count it cause it's not.

I moved right away to the USB method and haven't noticed a problem, everything went smoothly.

Thanks for your input itorra.

I haven't tested the bootCD on anything other than a SATA drive, and that's why I say it requires SATA. But yeah, I forgot you had tried it already on a non-SATA drive and it didn't work. Thanks ;)

tried with the usb-method, chameleon comes up but no dvd-drive found. i guess ill just do the usb-drive / harddrive partition method then.

You can't boot the Snow Leopard retail DVD from the USB boot as it requires a special cdboot file. That's why shamansanchez restored the DVD to a partition first, then chose that from the USB boot, instead of the DVD itself.

Hi Blackosx, and firstly a big thank you for your excellent guide to installing 10.6 on the ep45-ds3l.

All is well apart from being unable to get apple updates since I got bonjour operational. The internet is working fine and I am able to browse and download without problem. Network diagnostics red lights at "internet" and "server" and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to resoring it. Ethernet is showing as en0. Thank you

i got it up and running with the partition method, everything works great except one thing, graphics. video through DSDT only was really sluggish even if acceleration seemed to be activated, i tried to use an EFI-string instead, but it still seems a little slow, although not unbearable, i'd still like it resolved. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

i got it up and running with the partition method, everything works great except one thing, graphics. video through DSDT only was really sluggish even if acceleration seemed to be activated, i tried to use an EFI-string instead, but it still seems a little slow, although not unbearable, i'd still like it resolved. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Well done for getting SL installed and thanks for reporting the partition method worked for you ;)

As for your 9800GT feeling slow? I can only ask others with 9800GT's to comment here as all I can suggest is what you have already tried (I guess you have read Aquamac's page?)... But I know the 9800 is popular and plenty of people are using it.

Hi Blackosx, and firstly a big thank you for your excellent guide to installing 10.6 on the ep45-ds3l.

All is well apart from being unable to get apple updates since I got bonjour operational. The internet is working fine and I am able to browse and download without problem. Network diagnostics red lights at "internet" and "server" and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to resoring it. Ethernet is showing as en0. Thank you

Well done to you too with your install :)

When you say you are unable to get Apple Software Updates, what error do you get. Can you explain more?

I too have a 9800GT, via DSDT, and switching between spaces, i.e. directly, the window movements are a bit choppy. However everything else is smooth.

I've been meaning to go back to an EFI string, to see if this persists. But It's not a huge issue. Also, there are similar reports on real Mac's. I believe it's due to the refresh rate or something. There is currently no fix for this. Though you could try messing with some quartz setting, to make it much better.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...=0&tstart=0

Well done for getting SL installed and thanks for reporting the partition method worked for you :)

As for your 9800GT feeling slow? I can only ask others with 9800GT's to comment here as all I can suggest is what you have already tried (I guess you have read Aquamac's page?)... But I know the 9800 is popular and plenty of people are using it.

Well done to you too with your install :)

When you say you are unable to get Apple Software Updates, what error do you get. Can you explain more?

Hi Blackosx, Problem solved. I had forgotten Little Snitch was running in the background. I disabled it and everything is working perfectly up to now. It is Geekbenching around the 6000 mark so I am more than happy especially when my 24"imac ali core 2 is only achieving around 3500

system

Mobo GA-EP45-DS3l

Core2 quad Q8200 2.33Ghz

4Gb DDr2 800Mhz Crucial

Zotac GeForce 9800Gt 1Gb

I am thinking of an i7 cpu for the next project coupled to the EX58-UD5

Again many thanks for your help

Zalman CNPS7500 cooler

Well done for getting SL installed and thanks for reporting the partition method worked for you :)

i checked his post out but rapidshare just kept asking for 2 more minutes to see if there was a slot ready, grew tired of it after about 3-4 "rechecks" so i decided to try out the latest version of PCEFI with the auto detect and it worked out nicely, it's still not as fast as i think it should be, but it will do for now.

thanks a lot for your guide, i almost can't believe how nicely everything worked out, with sound working almost instantly, restart and halt working, etc. haven't tried sleep yet, but im going to test it now and come back with an edit.

e: okay, sleep didn't work, but everything except that works great!

Requesting help from EP43-UD3L Users, I know someone reported success many, many posts ago =P

Maybe your dsdt? If possible, installation method, included fixes, etc. The computer I setup with this motherboard is configured almost exactly the same as my P35-DS3L. DSDT with HDEF, ETHER, SATA & uhci/ehci USB Fixes. Though I'm having some issues:

For starters, a general question that anyone can comment on =P

So is it true that you can't install with the same usb stick to a computer more than once? I was setting up a dual boot using your guide blackosx, and seeing as my first round failed, I did end up installing Snow twice, with the same usb stick. I mean, it installed fine, and it's working, but can this lead to any tangible problems?

I ask because I've noticed a few things:

Sleep doesn't work reliably. There are times when it takes a good while for it to wake up, or go to sleep. I think a couple times, sleep just failed, and it required a force restart. Also, It seems to me that whenever something changes in the system, and a restart is necessary, it fails to boot properly, it hangs at the blue screen, requiring a hard reset. This has happened when updating to 10.6.1, as well as installing software that requires a restart.

What can be causing this? and what can I try?

Thanks to Netkas I now have my 4870 working without evoenabler.kext!

My 32bit SL works great. I have no problems whatsoever. Unfortunately I get a KP whenever I try and run 64bit (sometimes on boot, sometimes after). I cannot figure it out. Im guessing that it's an incompatible kext but I am using the the 64bit kexts from the blackosx package.

Anyone else have probs?

Hi Blackosx, Problem solved. I had forgotten Little Snitch was running in the background. I disabled it and everything is working perfectly up to now. It is Geekbenching around the 6000 mark so I am more than happy especially when my 24"imac ali core 2 is only achieving around 3500

Great. Thanks for letting me know you have sorted your Apple update issue. Nice Geekench score BTW. :)

e: okay, sleep didn't work, but everything except that works great!

Having sleep working is down to many variables and has been discussed many times in this thread. Have a read through this thread and hopefully you'll find an answer..

For starters, a general question that anyone can comment on =P

So is it true that you can't install with the same usb stick to a computer more than once? I was setting up a dual boot using your guide blackosx, and seeing as my first round failed, I did end up installing Snow twice, with the same usb stick. I mean, it installed fine, and it's working, but can this lead to any tangible problems?

I ask because I've noticed a few things:

Sleep doesn't work reliably. There are times when it takes a good while for it to wake up, or go to sleep. I think a couple times, sleep just failed, and it required a force restart. Also, It seems to me that whenever something changes in the system, and a restart is necessary, it fails to boot properly, it hangs at the blue screen, requiring a hard reset. This has happened when updating to 10.6.1, as well as installing software that requires a restart.

What can be causing this? and what can I try?

I have installed SL from my USB stick more than once, so it's not true that you cant. Where did you hear that?

As for your EP43-UD3L build. It does sound problematic.. If you think it's software and not hardware related, you could try erasing the HDD with zeros and re-installing? But for checking, does Disk Utility repair disk permission without error? Have you run kext utility?

Thanks to Netkas I now have my 4870 working without evoenabler.kext!

My 32bit SL works great. I have no problems whatsoever. Unfortunately I get a KP whenever I try and run 64bit (sometimes on boot, sometimes after). I cannot figure it out. Im guessing that it's an incompatible kext but I am using the the 64bit kexts from the blackosx package.

Is that using the new PC EFI v10.4?

The green kexts in my Support Files are verified as working with the kernel in both 32-bit & 64-bit so I don't think it's a problem with the kexts. It has to be something else with your system as 64-bit works great on my system.

Blackosx Thank you so much for your great guide.

I used it on EP45-DS3 and it work perfectly, and updated to 10.6.1 :D99,9%

The only problem I have is when I hit RESTART, I get a KP with no explanation on screen.

I found nothing about that, but I know it's the OpenHaltRestart.kext, but the SHUTDOWN works great.

Sleep work to, but no with my MacKeyboard Alu that plug on Front USB (maybe that), but I can Wake up with my mouse.

What can be the reason of this KP on RESTART ?

My second question is about Repair permission.

Because I put JMICRON.kext for my IDE DD and I want to know if I need to repair permission on the Cham partition and if I can do the repair permission with command line on it ?

Because Disk Utility grey up the function on the Cham partition

Thank you

PS:Sorry for my weird English, it's not ma language.

Hi NuDub

I don't know why your system KP's when you select restart. I agree it's strange.

And Disk Utility will only repair permissions of a volume with a system on it. There's no need to do this for the Cham partition.

Hi. I have 10.5.6 Jas-osx installed on my hackintosh. It was pretty easy to install, following this guide. I want to upgrade to snow leopard now, but i have no idea if i have dsdt patched. How can i check that?

Can i intall snow leopard from my existing 10.5.6 to another hdd in my computer?

Thank you

Hi bajkopepe

The Jas 10.5.6 install probably won't have included a DSDT and unless you have made one for yourself then you won't have one. You will need to follow my DSDT guide (link to it is in my signature).

Yes, you can install Snow Leopard to another HDD from the Jas 10.5.6 install. :angel:

Is the Snow Leopard Performance Update 1.0 safe to install? ANyone try it yet?

Is that a new one via software update?... Thanks for the heads up valdanta68.

I am not on my hack at the moment and won't be until this evening so I can't try it until later. I don't see why it won't work, but if anybody wants to try it then it's always recommended to apply it to a backup install first. :angel:

EDIT: Apparently, the update is only for systems with nVidia chipsets and not for intel chipsets. See here.

Hi, I am also new to this board and I am planning to install Leopard and Snow Leopard on my system. Just some small questions:

1) I have a Vista Installation on one hard drive and I would like to keep that system and the whole HD untouched. Is it possible to install Leopard on a diffent hard drive (on SATA port 0 with the windows HD disconnected) and then reconnect the windows HD on SATA port 1 - does this work?

2) Is it recommended to install Snow Leopard on the same HD as Leopard or and two different HDs?

2.1) If on the same: is only one chameleon partition and installation required (the one installed with Leopard)? Partition 1 = Chameleon, Partition 2 = Leopard. Partition 3 = Snow Leopard

2.2) If Leopard and Snow Leopard are installed on two different hard drives: is there the need for a chameleon partition and installation on each HD?

Thank you

Gucki76

Thank you Blackosx for your answer.

Yes my KP is strange, I change my OpenHaltRestart with another one, and now when I hit Restart I wait some second (3-5s)before validate the Restart.

It seem to work without KP like this.

Ok for the Cham partition, I'll not to try repair permission on it.

Ok On my EP45-DS3 everything works like charm.(100% now).

They are always some esthetic stuff like PCI card referenced in System Profiler.

Thanks again Blackosx

Hi, I am also new to this board and I am planning to install Leopard and Snow Leopard on my system. Just some small questions:

1) I have a Vista Installation on one hard drive and I would like to keep that system and the whole HD untouched. Is it possible to install Leopard on a diffent hard drive (on SATA port 0 with the windows HD disconnected) and then reconnect the windows HD on SATA port 1 - does this work?

Yes, That's exactly correct.

2) Is it recommended to install Snow Leopard on the same HD as Leopard or and two different HDs?

You can install Leopard & Snow Leopard in the same HDD, or separate HDD's. It's completely up to you.

2.1) If on the same: is only one chameleon partition and installation required (the one installed with Leopard)? Partition 1 = Chameleon, Partition 2 = Leopard. Partition 3 = Snow Leopard

Yes, only one Chameleon installation is required.

2.2) If Leopard and Snow Leopard are installed on two different hard drives: is there the need for a chameleon partition and installation on each HD?

No. One installation of Chameleon will read all partitions across all HDD's. So it will display your 10.5, 10.6 & Windows Vista.