[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Yes my KP is strange, I change my OpenHaltRestart with another one, and now when I hit Restart I wait some second (3-5s)before validate the Restart.

It seem to work without KP like this.

Great. Well done for working out what the problem was. :)

Blackosx,

I can't seem to get ACPI Patcher 0.2 Beta 5 to work today on my vista rig. I have UAC turned off and I'm running as Admin.

For the bios file, does the patcher accept .exe , .bin, .bak bios files?

I see that Gigabyte bios files are .exe

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong this go round?

Hi:

I have a Apple Open Clone w/chip that doesn’t work anymore so I made it a Chameleon pc/mac.

GA-EP45C-UD3R mobo

w/Intel 3.2 Duel Quad ��"

8 GIGS Ram 1333

750 w PS

1TB HD + 80 GB (OS only) +500 GB

Nvidia 9800 GTX

I loaded iATKOS v7 (at least twelve times) after partitioning each HD. OS loaded fantastic. Boots GREAT !!! NOW the problem.. Resolution 1024 x 768. When I drag anything across the screen it covers the screen. Just can’t config the resolution. Tried the( ��"v mach_kernel rd=disk0s1 ��"v “Graphics Mode”=”1900x1200x32”). Works great on the font on the boot screen but won’t boot. Also tried (GraphicsEnabler) , (changing and/or adding kext to the extensions. Loaded and then formatted all the different solutions, but NOTHING WORKS

Any ideas for me to try????

Thankz

PS I have Snow Leopard (NEW) and it won’t install either. Outside of the v iatkos disk, nothing installs including Leopard (New Disk)

Hello blackosx!

Thank you for your great guide.

Yesterday, I tried to install SL using the three ways that you teach in your guide. But in each one, I have CMOS RESET during the loading files (before SL instalation).

My specs are:

GA-EP35-DS3P (F6 bios version)

GTX 285 Black Edition OC'ed

C2Q Q9650

G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB)

1TB SATA (2x500GB)

2 DVD drives (1 SATA and 1 IDE)

I have here the kexts exactly to my specs. During the loading files, this error is shown:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3010/img0004s.jpg

I don't know what is hapening here and I would like to request your help to solve it. Could I'm setting wrong information in BIOS? Where can I find the appropriate settings to BIOS? I think I'm doing correctly, but...

Thank you!

Bruno

I can't seem to get ACPI Patcher 0.2 Beta 5 to work today on my vista rig. I have UAC turned off and I'm running as Admin.

For the bios file, does the patcher accept .exe , .bin, .bak bios files?

I see that Gigabyte bios files are .exe

ACPI Patcher should just run. I have UAC turned on and it runs fine.

The BIOS files Gigabyte supply are inside the .exe files. You need to run the .exe to extract the BIOS file. On the front page of my DSDT thread I have links to download the original Gigabyte BIOS files for F10 and F11b, if that helps?

GA-EP45C-UD3R mobo

I loaded iATKOS v7 (at least twelve times) after partitioning each HD. OS loaded fantastic. Boots GREAT !!! NOW the problem.. Resolution 1024 x 768. When I drag anything across the screen it covers the screen. Just can�€™t config the resolution. Tried the( ��"v mach_kernel rd=disk0s1 ��"v �€œGraphics Mode�€�=�€�1900x1200x32�€�). Works great on the font on the boot screen but won�€™t boot. Also tried (GraphicsEnabler) , (changing and/or adding kext to the extensions. Loaded and then formatted all the different solutions, but NOTHING WORKS

PS I have Snow Leopard (NEW) and it won�€™t install either. Outside of the v iatkos disk, nothing installs including Leopard (New Disk)

Hi doo wop 57

I don't support iAtkos here. I haven't used a distro for a long time now and I don't know what it uses. All I can suggest is you try my install guides with a retail version of OS X, but find required files for your mobo. Everything you need is on the front page of this thread and in the PDF guide. Any problems you come across have probably already been asked and discussed in this thread at some point.

You might be better off trying doom42's guide for the EP45-UD3R.

im not sure if this follows the rules for comments and question. but id like to ask if this install (on ga-ep45-ds3l) will work properly with sun/ virtualbox or vmware/ virtual server. i seem to be crashing on virtualbox whether i define a new virtual guest for winxp or try to use an existing one. the error is the same: lack of vt-x resource for the cpu.

my install of snow leopard is on the crude side without a complete dsdt.aml. so it may be that its my problem on getting a complete instance running. it would be great if somebody who has a proper install also loaded sun/ virtualbox and did an install of xp or 2k as a guest.

a search of virtualbox on insanelymac does turn up mostly negative comments on getting virtualbox or vmware working.

so could a generous guru please try to answer the question: will virtualbox run on this very nice puppy.

Yesterday, I tried to install SL using the three ways that you teach in your guide. But in each one, I have CMOS RESET during the loading files (before SL instalation).

I don't know what is hapening here and I would like to request your help to solve it. Could I'm setting wrong information in BIOS? Where can I find the appropriate settings to BIOS? I think I'm doing correctly, but...

You have CMOS RESET during the loading files (before SL instalation)? What do you mean exactly... when loading Chameleon?

You have JMicron errors in your supplied photo, but I don't use JMicron with this guide?

Also your video card might give you problems when installing?... maybe search this thread for other instances of installing with a GTX285..

id like to ask if this install (on ga-ep45-ds3l) will work properly with sun/ virtualbox or vmware/ virtual server. i seem to be crashing on virtualbox whether i define a new virtual guest for winxp or try to use an existing one. the error is the same: lack of vt-x resource for the cpu.

my install of snow leopard is on the crude side without a complete dsdt.aml. so it may be that its my problem on getting a complete instance running. it would be great if somebody who has a proper install also loaded sun/ virtualbox and did an install of xp or 2k as a guest.

Hi zephyr98 - All I can tell you is VMWare Fusion runs fine and I have Windows Vista running with it. I have not tried virtualbox and never used it so I can't really give you any advice on that at present. I could try virtualbox for you, but I don't have versions of XP or 2K kicking about, only Vista.

But what CPU are you using? as I am using an E7300 which doesn't include Virtualisation (thanks to Intel) and therefore I can't run Parallels v4. So maybe that ties up with your error 'lack of vt-x resource'?

I have a p45-ds3r that is due back any time from Gigabyte's warranty department. Will this guide work with it? I am not sure what the difference between the ds3l and the ds3r is exactly in reference to building a hackintosh.

Many thanks,

oldefixuser

:wallbash:

I have a p45-ds3r that is due back any time from Gigabyte's warranty department. Will this guide work with it? I am not sure what the difference between the ds3l and the ds3r is exactly in reference to building a hackintosh.

This guide should work with the DS3R, in fact I am sure somebody else has reported a successful install using this guide with that mobo. Have a search through this thread to confirm if you like. :wallbash:

You have CMOS RESET during the loading files (before SL instalation)? What do you mean exactly... when loading Chameleon?

You have JMicron errors in your supplied photo, but I don't use JMicron with this guide?

Also your video card might give you problems when installing?... maybe search this thread for other instances of installing with a GTX285..

Hi zephyr98 - All I can tell you is VMWare Fusion runs fine and I have Windows Vista running with it. I have not tried virtualbox and never used it so I can't really give you any advice on that at present. I could try virtualbox for you, but I don't have versions of XP or 2K kicking about, only Vista.

But what CPU are you using? as I am using an E7300 which doesn't include Virtualisation (thanks to Intel) and therefore I can't run Parallels v4. So maybe that ties up with your error 'lack of vt-x resource'?

hi: tks for the super quick answer. it was definitely a wrinkle to me. silly me thought that its been ages since vt/ amd-v that all the chips have it. and yes, i bought my setup on ebay with a e5200. which like your e7300 does not do the deed. so the question on virtualbox is moot since i do not wish to buy anther chip for my ga-ep45-ds3l.

sometimes you get an answer to a question you should have asked. hahaha. so im going to leave my mac box as a very nice simple mac box for learning and enjoying. super tks for your efforts btw. and ill stick with power things for virtualbox to fedora and amd.

ACPI Patcher should just run. I have UAC turned on and it runs fine.

The BIOS files Gigabyte supply are inside the .exe files. You need to run the .exe to extract the BIOS file. On the front page of my DSDT thread I have links to download the original Gigabyte BIOS files for F10 and F11b, if that helps?

Hi doo wop 57

I don't support iAtkos here. I haven't used a distro for a long time now and I don't know what it uses. All I can suggest is you try my install guides with a retail version of OS X, but find required files for your mobo. Everything you need is on the front page of this thread and in the PDF guide. Any problems you come across have probably already been asked and discussed in this thread at some point.

You might be better off trying doom42's guide for the EP45-UD3R.

Thankz Blackosx.. I can use my computer for the first time since May. Didn't load SL but got my resolution back.. Once again Thankz

Kenny

Yes, That's exactly correct.

You can install Leopard & Snow Leopard in the same HDD, or separate HDD's. It's completely up to you.

Yes, only one Chameleon installation is required.

No. One installation of Chameleon will read all partitions across all HDD's. So it will display your 10.5, 10.6 & Windows Vista.

Hi,

first thank you for your GREAT guide!!!

I am new to the Mac-world, but installation of 10.5.7 took only one evening and everything works smoothly :D !

After installing of Chameleon on the Chameleon partition and OSX 10.5.7 on Leopard partition, I have one more question about installation of SL on the third partition.

I partitioned my hard drive into

1) Chameleon (used for Leopard)

2) Leopard (Leopard installed)

3) Snow-Leopard (installation of SL planned)

All the files for Leopard (com.apple.Boot.plist, SMBIOS.plist, DSDT.aml, and kexts) are installed together with Chameleon on the Chameleon partition - as told in your guide. How do I have to handle this with the planned installation of SL on the same HD? As I understood I need to replace/modify/add a significant number these files. Do I have to delete everything in the chameleon partition and install it new for SL (meaning that I will be able to use SL, only, and not Leopard anymore)? What is the suggested work-flow, this did not come clear for me based on your 10.6 guide.

Thank you and BEST regards

Gucki76

Hi Gucki76 - Well done :D

You can keep your files in Chameleon's /Extra folder but put your kexts for 10.5 in to a folder named Extensions in a folder named 10.5 and when you follow the 10.6 guide, put the kexts for that in a folder named Extensions in a folder named 10.6. See attached screenshot of my Cham partition.

You can keep the same SMBIOS, DSDT, com.apple.Boot.plist but might just have to tweak them slightly as per the guide.

Easy as that :)

post-331032-1255769962_thumb.png

Hi Gucki76 - Well done :(

You can keep your files in Chameleon's /Extra folder but put your kexts for 10.5 in to a folder named Extensions in a folder named 10.5 and when you follow the 10.6 guide, put the kexts for that in a folder named Extensions in a folder named 10.6. See attached screenshot of my Cham partition.

You can keep the same SMBIOS, DSDT, com.apple.Boot.plist but might just have to tweak them slightly as per the guide.

Easy as that :)

Hi thanks - will try today. Just, how does the system know that folder 10.5 contains kexts for Leopard and 10.6 kexts for SL?

Gucki76

Hello blackosx!

Thank you for your great guide.

My specs are:

GA-EP35-DS3P (F6 bios version)

GTX 285 Black Edition OC'ed

C2Q Q9650

G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB)

1TB SATA (2x500GB)

2 DVD drives (1 SATA and 1 IDE)

I have here the kexts exactly to my specs. During the loading files, this error is shown:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3010/img0004s.jpg

Thank you!

Bruno

brunogves,

as i can see there's a DVD device attached to your IDE controller (obvious JMicron chipset) and since 10.6 doesn't support DVD's attached to IDE you wont be able to run installation from that IDE DVD. It seems to me you're trying to boot the 10.6 DVD from that IDE DVD device.

so my advice is to disconnect (or even discard) this IDE DVD and to use the SATA DVD as installation source for the preboot and 10.6 DVD's.

also make sure in your BIOS settings that SATA is running as AHCI and not IDE or disabled, and HPET is set to 64 bit! also it's not a bad idea to disable the IDE onboard controller.

In my opinion there's no advantage to having 2 DVDs connected to different interfaces.

about the CMOS Reset Bug -- read the Blackosx first post! every aspect of the installation and preinstallation preparations are written very clearly there. You need a patched DSDT for your mobo. there's also a link for the DSDT patch guide by Blackosx in the very first post of this thread.

wish you good luck :(

hi: tks for the super quick answer. it was definitely a wrinkle to me. silly me thought that its been ages since vt/ amd-v that all the chips have it. and yes, i bought my setup on ebay with a e5200. which like your e7300 does not do the deed. so the question on virtualbox is moot since i do not wish to buy anther chip for my ga-ep45-ds3l.

sometimes you get an answer to a question you should have asked. hahaha. so im going to leave my mac box as a very nice simple mac box for learning and enjoying. super tks for your efforts btw. and ill stick with power things for virtualbox to fedora and amd.

hi blackosx:

this is a followup that i think is rather exciting. before i gave completely up on virtualbox on ga-ep45-ds3l, i ran one kinda wierd test which showed that yes, sun virtualbox can run nicely on this box. there is a configuration that one can use even if you are running a crippled, non intel vt-x chip. what works is:

1. copy a working virtualbox guest to osx. you can make it with linux or windows. does not matter.

2. using mac virtualbox, you cant make a guest on osx with vt-x. but you can force an existing one to non vt-x mode. so make a new guest using your copied guest vdi file. then find the VirtualBox.xml file (which has all the nice settings) and edit the vt-x setting from true to false. file is probably in /users/xxx/Library/VirtualBox

3. and that is it. start it and be pleasantly surprised. in my test, i ran winxp- sp3. and i tried office2003 (worked) and ef file manager (worked) and even avg anti-virus (worked). no problems on display or internet.

i do not know if a non crippled vt-x works (probably). but i do know that virtualbox can run on crippled chips if you manually turn on off the vt-x requirement.

Just, how does the system know that folder 10.5 contains kexts for Leopard and 10.6 kexts for SL?

Because that's how Chameleon has been programmed. It can read what version of the system is selected at boot then inject the correct set of kexts. Chameleon is a clever bit of coding and is getting better all the time....

hi blackosx:

this is a followup that i think is rather exciting. before i gave completely up on virtualbox on ga-ep45-ds3l, i ran one kinda wierd test which showed that yes, sun virtualbox can run nicely on this box. there is a configuration that one can use even if you are running a crippled, non intel vt-x chip.......

Good work zephyr98 - this could prove useful for anyone wishing to do the same :D

(Maybe you could start a thread about it).

Personally, like I said before, I use VMWare Fusion with Vista and I am happy with that.

I see you have separate partitions for Chameleon, OSX, et cetera. Does this improve boot stability or is this just to illustrate the workings.

I have EP45T-DS3R (which is identical except 889a instead of 888 audio and DDR3). I used lensboard install for 10.5.4 upgrade to 10.5.6, then 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. Never needed a separate partition for Chameleon. Though I installed Chameleon 2.0 rc1 on both drives (drive 1 in 10.5.7, drive 2 is Kalyway "scratch" drive)

Can someone tell me how to make the cham partition active? Or do I need to do that? fdisk in mac isnt showing all my partitions. I could use windows but not sure if its needed? Right now i think my ipc is the active partition. Though my blackosx 10.6.1 boots great from usb drive (with all kexts, dsdt and such on it).

Is there anyway to use the cham partition now? I had ipc already install when i install snow. Didnt want to completely lose all partitions...

What is blackosx?

I see you have separate partitions for Chameleon, OSX, et cetera. Does this improve boot stability or is this just to illustrate the workings.

I have EP45T-DS3R (which is identical except 889a instead of 888 audio and DDR3). I used lensboard install for 10.5.4 upgrade to 10.5.6, then 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. Never needed a separate partition for Chameleon. Though I installed Chameleon 2.0 rc1 on both drives (drive 1 in 10.5.7, drive 2 is Kalyway "scratch" drive)

Hi OB/GYN Kenobi. You are right, you don't need to install Chameleon on a separate partition. In my guide I explain that you can put it on your system drive or on the EFI partition too if you want to. One reason I do it this way is for illustration purposes and it's easier to manage than on the EFI partition as you don't have to worry about ownership/permissions. It's completely up to you :P

What is blackosx?

I think keypox was referring to his OS X install where he followed this guide. Rather than a distro like iPC.

So is the ACPI Patcher 0.2 Beta 5 only good for Gigabyte DSDT patching?

I've tried it with Dell bios and it's a no go plus the paths & options for ethernet & graphics aren't applicable.

Blackosx since you are the coolest magical wizard of os x land, are you aware of any guide that outlines the making of a perfect smbios.plist?

I have seem so many iterations out there and I'm curious as to who's right & wrong. Now granted, I know this is trial and error to a certain degree since each MB/Bios are unique but nevertheless there should still be a basic guideline to follow.

Such as the proper use for each key and what the string does.

Make sense?

Hi flyguyjake

ACPI Patcher is great for what I have used it for, but I have no experience with using it with a DELL BIOS. But unless their BIOS files are specialised in some way then I don't see why you can't patch one. Best bet is to have a read of koalala's thread. But if others have managed it, then maybe you can copy what they have done?

As for SMBIOS.. Unfortunately it's down to searching and reading. If you find one can you let me have it? ;)

Snow explained it a little bit here. I have read snippets here and there but never kept records of where I have found anything.

This guide should work with the DS3R, in fact I am sure somebody else has reported a successful install using this guide with that mobo. Have a search through this thread to confirm if you like. :(

=========================================================================

@blackosx,

thank you very much for your timely reply.

it is greatly appreciated.

oldefixuser

:D

just posting to say I've given up on osx for this computer, no matter what my geforce 9800gt just won't work properly. not being able to watch a video and minimize a window without everything slowing to a crawl just kills the experience in my opinion.

If anyone has got a XFX Geforce 9800GT OC working properly, please let me know.