[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Got my Gigabyte 9500GT (1024MB) today.....

...... fully works now. Screenshots, too. This system works now 100% :)

Nice... Well done for getting it working :)

My 8800 GTX luckily works like a charm including dual display. She is like 2+ years old but still a good and fast girl :-)

Regarding the fuss, ye I have same board as blackosx and sleep still don't work for me. I am guessing it is fault of either CPU or GFX (she is still good girl). I don't care anymore about it. When I tried things to fix it only thing I accomplished was hurting my poor kitty, coloring her with gray color. No more !

I support the 8800 too... Your GTX can still hold it's own.. and my GT still gives me a fantastic OS X experience. :)

As for your sleep, I don't know if it will make any difference or not, but I've just worked through the ECHI fix in DSDT by ApexDE. (I started with this guide, but couldn't get my DSDT.dsl to recompile so I then used ApexDE's) As some people have mentioned sleep now working with it...

What it does is change the USB EHCI (Hi speed ports) from reading as 'Expansion Slot' to 'Built-in USB' in system profiler. This should help with USb devices not allowing the system to go to sleep and should stop USB devices being ejected when sleeping.. No I have never had a problem with sleep on my system, and sleep still works. But it has done what it claims and changed how my ports are seen in System profiler (I have attached before & after screen shots).

Is it also possible to use ShowAll, delete the Cham boot and then drag/drop the Netkas boot?

This is what I did, doesn't it work out the same?

Yes, it will. As long as the old boot file is replaced with Netkas' PC EFI v10(.1) boot file, then it doesn't really matter what method is used.

Sep 2 20:34:41 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 33): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): NTFS volume is dirty. You should unmount it and run chkdsk.

Hi flyguyjake

First thing I noticed was the NTFS error. Have you got a windows drive connected (or at least an NTFS drive)? try disconnecting it from the mobo to see if that makes any difference.

post-331032-1252011808_thumb.png

post-331032-1252011822_thumb.png

Only thing I don't know is when because i am little busy these days and this requires either installing windows or using linux live cd to get some codec dump.

Hi titan4 - I said previously that I have done a Linux codec dump before for the GA-EP45-DS3L. Well I have just found it. Hope this helps, if you have a look in to digital audio some time. :)

any one tried to pass big files over ethernet? i have a beautifull kernel panic moving big files from ethernet

Works for me (but a bit slow - 6 minutes for a 2.2GB file!)

EDIT: I am not happy with it.. that's slow... :) I am going to look in to a fix..

GA_EP45_DS3L_Linux_Audio_Codec_Dump___140709.zip

First let me say thanks for the guide, its the closest I have come to Snow Kitty Goodness.

I have tried and failed to get this to work on my EP35-DS3R Motherboard. It gets all the way to the part when OSX is installing, then two minutes in it kernel panics. I have tried just installing a barebones system, but it even crashes then.

Honestly I know this motherboard to be very finicky- I had to use my P35-DS3L mobo to get regular Leopard on it. The main reason I replaced my L with an R is because of the extra SATA port which has me wondering:

If I buy a GA-EP45-DS3L will Snow Kitty let me use all of the six SATA ports on it? If so I will just upgrade my board and get me some snow kitty action.

For the record my GPU is a 7900 GS 256mb (which has never fought me before) with a Q6600 (not overclocked), and USB audio. I have 10.5.7 working nicely on the system.

Any suggestions are welcome before I spend the money....

I am using 4 (3 HDDs, 1 DVD-R) with no problem. I am actually going to buy some SATA->eSATA cable in a few days. Only thing i don't know is how will kitty handle it.

And thanks for dump blackosx. I will look at it tomorrow evening.

Hi titan4 - I said previously that I have done a Linux codec dump before for the GA-EP45-DS3L. Well I have just found it. Hope this helps, if you have a look in to digital audio some time. :)

Works for me (but a bit slow - 6 minutes for a 2.2GB file!)

EDIT: I am not happy with it.. that's slow... :( I am going to look in to a fix..

I solved it making Extensions.mkets :) 5.93 gb in 3 minutes

Got my Gigabyte 9500GT (1024MB) today.....

...... fully works now. Screenshots, too. This system works now 100% smile.gif

My 9500Gt works perfectly with it's own efi string :)

If I buy a GA-EP45-DS3L will Snow Kitty let me use all of the six SATA ports on it? If so I will just upgrade my board and get me some snow kitty action.

I've 4 sata disc 2 of them in an apple raid, and all are working perfectly :)

I also have the EP35-DS3R. I didn't have any issues with 10.5.7; I haven't tried 10.6 but will do soon.

Do you have your install disk plugged in SATA0?

And a question: When is it safe to remove the old 10.5.8 after 10.6 is successfully up and running? And what is the safest way of removing the old version? Can I simply remove the partition altogether?

First let me say thanks for the guide, its the closest I have come to Snow Kitty Goodness.

I have tried and failed to get this to work on my EP35-DS3R Motherboard. It gets all the way to the part when OSX is installing, then two minutes in it kernel panics. I have tried just installing a barebones system, but it even crashes then.

Honestly I know this motherboard to be very finicky- I had to use my P35-DS3L mobo to get regular Leopard on it. The main reason I replaced my L with an R is because of the extra SATA port which has me wondering:

For the record my GPU is a 7900 GS 256mb (which has never fought me before) with a Q6600 (not overclocked), and USB audio. I have 10.5.7 working nicely on the system.

Any suggestions are welcome before I spend the money....

Hi flyguyjake

First thing I noticed was the NTFS error. Have you got a windows drive connected (or at least an NTFS drive)? try disconnecting it from the mobo to see if that makes any difference.

@Blackosx,

I disconnected all 4 NTFS Sata HDD's. 1 does have Vista on it the other 3 are for movie storage. KP still occurs.

Can you look in your Kernel.log and tell me if you have;

AppleUSBOHCI[0x5440000]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Waiting for DSMOS...

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleintelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Can you look in your System.log and tell me if you have;

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[92] (com.apple.ReportCrash): Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find:com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

Memory allocation failure

Thanks!

Anyone have a fix for this: my Firewire device works (I have an iSight plugged into it) but in Network preferences it says Device Not Connected. Probably just a device ID thing, but was wondering if anyone else came across this before.

As for your sleep, I don't know if it will make any difference or not, but I've just worked through the ECHI fix in DSDT by ApexDE. (I started with this guide, but couldn't get my DSDT.dsl to recompile so I then used ApexDE's) As some people have mentioned sleep now working with it...

What it does is change the USB EHCI (Hi speed ports) from reading as 'Expansion Slot' to 'Built-in USB' in system profiler. This should help with USb devices not allowing the system to go to sleep and should stop USB devices being ejected when sleeping.. No I have never had a problem with sleep on my system, and sleep still works. But it has done what it claims and changed how my ports are seen in System profiler (I have attached before & after screen shots).

WORKS! Fixed my problem with the computer not going to sleep. Something is being polled every couple of seconds after it wakes up, just at least it does a full sleep...from Apple menu or Energy Saver settings. Thanks!

Hey guys,

On another thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...81209&st=20

I'm reading that the install needs to be from the DVD and not simply by mounting the DMG. They are saying that the 32bit kernel isn't loading even if you use -x32 if you have installed SL from a mounted DMG.

Is this true, is it essential to install from the retail dvd?

Thanks.

@Blackosx,

I disconnected all 4 NTFS Sata HDD's. 1 does have Vista on it the other 3 are for movie storage. KP still occurs.

Can you look in your Kernel.log and tell me if you have;

AppleUSBOHCI[0x5440000]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Waiting for DSMOS...

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleintelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Can you look in your System.log and tell me if you have;

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[92] (com.apple.ReportCrash): Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find:com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

Memory allocation failure

Thanks!

Hi flyguyjake

I have looked in my kernel.log and system.log and I do have all your message except for 'Memory allocation failure'. I think that might be your problem! Check your RAM, have you done a memtest?

I have included screengrabs of my logs to show you the other errors.

Hope this helps :)

Anyone have a fix for this: my Firewire device works (I have an iSight plugged into it) but in Network preferences it says Device Not Connected. Probably just a device ID thing, but was wondering if anyone else came across this before.

WORKS! Fixed my problem with the computer not going to sleep. Something is being polled every couple of seconds after it wakes up, just at least it does a full sleep...from Apple menu or Energy Saver settings. Thanks!

Hi bigpoppa206

I don't know about your firewire ID issue. I don't have that so I can't do any tests for you. But good news that fix has helped your sleep. :)

post-331032-1252044081_thumb.png

post-331032-1252225987_thumb.png

I'm reading that the install needs to be from the DVD and not simply by mounting the DMG. They are saying that the 32bit kernel isn't loading even if you use -x32 if you have installed SL from a mounted DMG.

Is this true, is it essential to install from the retail dvd?

I have built my system from a disk image of SL.

Hi all

Just thought I'd add a couple of things I've discovered in case someone else needs them

1. Have installed snow on 2 computers(ep35-ds3l & ep35-ds3p) now using blackosx great guide and on both machines I used drives thjat had previously had leopard installed. Found that if I just partitioned/erased them in disk utility the insstall(from usb hd ) would crash at various stages no matter how many times I re partitioned them. I finally decided to erase with zero option which takes a long time but then install worked perfectly on two previously recalcitrant drives.

2. Have Chamelion installed on Cham partition in both machines and couldn't get dsdt to work with 8800 gts graphics so used efi strings, BUT you have to make sure that the string is placed before the Chamelion boot info in the com.apple.Boot.plist otherwise only the default nVidia graphics driver will load.

Hope this helps others and thanks again to blackosx et all for great work.

BTW Still fighting with alc889 audio on ds3p anyone had success getting it going?

BlackOSX

Thank You.

Finally I follow your guides step by step.

now my GA-P31-DS3L runs 10.6 very well.

is "DSDT" the keypoint of the whole story?

i try to make DSDT for my laptop BenQ X31 but failure.

could you give some advise about DSDT for me (all users)?

thank you.

Ok I guess that nvinject not loading from S/L/E or E/E is due to the fact that it might not be compatible with 64bits. Yes I started directly in 64.

Then this morning, I quickly tried to boot in 32bits but I get KP right on boot.

I'm gonna do a fresh install from the start and see if it works.

As for the 5.1 surround on coaxial out, I will investigate in other topics but as far as I've gone, iti is true that I will need to patch AppleHDA.

I'll keep you posted !

Ok I did a fresh install trying to have mys system boot in 32bits but there's simply no way !

The only way I can get to the desktop is through 64bits boot. Now here's the thing, as I said earlier my 7300 gs w'ont give dual display so I'm looking to replace it.

I've read that the 9500 GT was doing good. Do you get dual display and what manufacturer are your cards ?

Regarding 5.1 surround with digital output:

Look at audio midi setup and the output is locked in stereo mode. So I read a few topics about applehda patching and there's nothing there about getting from stereo to 5.1

I guess I'll have to digg deeper.

I finally decided to erase with zero option which takes a long time but then install worked perfectly on two previously recalcitrant drives.

BUT you have to make sure that the string is placed before the Chamelion boot info in the com.apple.Boot.plist otherwise only the default nVidia graphics driver will load.

Great tip for zero'ing the HDD before install - maybe worth a try for anyone who has tried everything else....

Aslo I understand you mean adding device (EFI) string before anything else? This has never been an issue in all my tests, but again it might be worth trying if anyone has the same problem.

Thanks for the input 121fred :)

Finally I follow your guides step by step.

now my GA-P31-DS3L runs 10.6 very well.

is "DSDT" the keypoint of the whole story?

i try to make DSDT for my laptop BenQ X31 but failure.

could you give some advise about DSDT for me (all users)?

Nice one long1220, thanks for reporting your success :)

It is possible to boot Snow Leopard without a DSDT but you do need one to sort your CMOS reset fix... So I always recommend using one. Plus it's a good thing to learn as it will allow you to tweak your system in ways you can't with any other method... for instance, the EHCI fix I mentioned a few posts back...

With regard to learning how to build a DSDT etc, you can read my DSDT thread for a basic introduction and then have a read of Koalala'a thread for more info... there are lot's of topics on Insanely about DSDT....

Ok I did a fresh install trying to have mys system boot in 32bits but there's simply no way !

The only way I can get to the desktop is through 64bits boot. Now here's the thing, as I said earlier my 7300 gs w'ont give dual display so I'm looking to replace it.

I've read that the 9500 GT was doing good. Do you get dual display and what manufacturer are your cards ?

Look at audio midi setup and the output is locked in stereo mode. So I read a few topics about applehda patching and there's nothing there about getting from stereo to 5.1

Hi philippebezoteaux

It's strange you can't boot in to 32-bit mode... What mobo do you have again? Hopefully someone using a dual display can help you with your video card.

Well done for looking in to 5.1 audio output.. If you can't find anything written about it, then I guess you're going to have to start asking some questions to the audio gurus... THe KiNG, stickpin, Kabyl, karaakeha1, MadTux, Taruga, tmongkol... (Although some are no longer around)

Of course it is. Any digital output is stereo only. Multichannel sound is provided via compressed digital stream in AC3/DTS compressed format so receiver capable of AC3/DTS decoding is required. What I think is that spdif output is incorrect information in AppleHDA.kext. If you do a proper search around forums regarding AC3/DTS on ALC888 you will always find that only way is this one.

Or ask our in-house expert!... (It's good to have you on-board titan4) :)

Of course it is. Any digital output is stereo only. Multichannel sound is provided via compressed digital stream in AC3/DTS compressed format so receiver capable of AC3/DTS decoding is required. What I think is that spdif output is incorrect information in AppleHDA.kext. If you do a proper search around forums regarding AC3/DTS on ALC888 you will always find that only way is this one.

This is what I have for device (RTC): Do I change both "0x04" instances to "0x02"?

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length <---- Here
						)
				})
				Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
							0x04,			   // Length  <----and Here?
						)
				})

hi guys,

when i try to issue:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m

/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/

i can't find Startup/Extensions.mkext

i don't have anything in Startup.

I finally managed to install Snow Leopard on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R using this wonderfull guide, but I had to mess it up :)

I accidentaly installed Chameleon on my Leopard partition, and now my system boots using that instead of Chameleon on the Cham partition. Can anyone tell me how fix this?

hi guys,

when i try to issue:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m

/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/

i can't find Startup/Extensions.mkext

i don't have anything in Startup.

Hi hetman

This kextcache command should create an Extensions.mkext in

/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

from the contents of

/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/

are you saying that after running the command, Extensions.mkext isn't there? in which case does the command fail with an error message?

I finally managed to install Snow Leopard on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R using this wonderfull guide, but I had to mess it up :)

I accidentaly installed Chameleon on my Leopard partition, and now my system boots using that instead of Chameleon on the Cham partition. Can anyone tell me how fix this?

Congratulations on the successful install. To fix your dilema, just run the Chameleon package installer from 10.5 and install it on to the Cham partition. Then patch the Cham partition as you must have done when you installed it before to get 10.6 running. You might have to select in BIOS which HD to boot if the wrong Chameleon gets loaded.