[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

In attempt to make passtrough functional I tried using some patched applehda for 10.5.8 for our integrated soundcard and it caused some funny bugs. :-) On x64 sound just did not work but on x32 it caused some malfunctions like cursor moving when i move my mouse but buttons not working and other funny stuff so i decided that i will maybe try later patch applehda myself, but feel free to try and if it works for you please share your applehda with rest of us.

What i was thinking is using analog outputs and create aggregate device for multichannel but had no time to even try analog outputs so far :-)

Hi robotfactory.. I have had this, but I don't know.. Try clicking 'Repair Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility.

thanks for the tip blackosx. i just tried this and here is what disk utility spit back. i reinstalled SL last night, installed with no errors and finished successfully.

=(

post-318786-1251820541_thumb.png

thanks for the tip blackosx. i just tried this and here is what disk utility spit back. i reinstalled SL last night, installed with no errors and finished successfully.

No problem. Thanks for reporting back that it worked for you :(

To anybody else who has this error in Disk Utility and is confident they can install their system reliably, then you can just re-install 10.6 over your existing install and it will sort the problem, leaving all your apps and docs as the are. I posted about this here.

Thanks for the prompt response BlackOSX. I'll get new HDD for 10.6 install and try your install guide. I'll report back how it goes. Your guide looks wonderful, BTW.

Okay undo_undo

Don't forget titan4's reply also regarding a patched AppleHDA.. and the problem with it..

No problem. Thanks for reporting back that it worked for you :(

To anybody else who has this error in Disk Utility and is confident they can install their system reliably, then you can just re-install 10.6 over your existing install and it will sort the problem, leaving all your apps and docs as the are. I posted about this here.

i left out an important detail. after a successful reinstall of SL i still have the messed up folder structure, and disk utility still gives me the error. =(

i left out an important detail. after a successful reinstall of SL i still have the messed up folder structure, and disk utility still gives me the error. =(

Oh, sorry I jumped the gun a bit there. Did you re-install with the OSInstall.mpkg method? As this is one of the problems that's been highlighted with this... There was a post about re-running a BSD.mkpg from the installer somewhere but I never tried that. I fixed it by using the USB install method.

Edit: I came across a screenshot of your "Install" disk permissions,owners etc. few pages back, mine seems to be messed up.:(

This could be a reason perhaps? how do i set these right?

I guess you mean from this post?

Well I am not too sure if it matters with the USB install drive, but I haven't bothered with any permissions as you can see, all my files are owner:group blackosx:staff and your are a mixture.

But I guess if you want to get yours like mine then load up Terminal and type....

sudo chown -R steve:staff /Volumes/Install

(I'm typing that from memory so I think that's right)

See if that makes any difference

I just couldn't resist leaving the kitty alone can I?

Anyway, I was mucking around and added only fakesmc.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageController.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, LegacyHDA.kext and I managed to get past the initial kernel panic! My heart jumped for a second before I was faced with a grey screen with only the cursor.

Verbose output gave no abnormal messages. At least it's some progress! I'll try booting with just barebones kext tomorrow (fakesmc.kext, NullCPU.kext and PlatformUUID.kext to knock out any variables.

I would take a picture for you but I restarted before I could. Also, it only works when booting in -v -x32 mode. If I force the system to load fresh kexts the panic comes back. Are there perhaps any kexts that are common in /S/L/E and /E/E? But whatever happens, I have to go through the same process of patching the hard drive and restoring the image over it each time it panics.

He He.... She's hard to leave alone... I went through the same as you when I started.... :(

What's important though is it's progress so well done.

I recommend using only -x32 to start with, and I had to use Verbose boot when I started.

There should not be any common kexts in /S/L/E and E/E/.

Can you build a signature so I can see what hardware you're running? It will help with spotting problems.

EDIT: That was quick :D Thanks

I don't know anymore what to do with my sleep issue. It is not working on both x32 and x64. It just shutdowns instead. I have same board as you, I actually have even same bios settings as you do and still it does not work :-(

I don't know anymore what to do with my sleep issue. It is not working on both x32 and x64. It just shutdowns instead. I have same board as you, I actually have even same bios settings as you do and still it does not work :-(

Well I am on my hack now and I am willing to compare anything you want to from my system to yours.

I have just put my system to sleep with the System Pref / Logs / system.log opened and this is what it reported.

post-331032-1251826152_thumb.png

Hi Prettyby7

Chameleon with EFI will boot with 64-bit kernel by default. which is known to cause problems. Boot into 32bit first.

boot with flag -x32

Just type -x32 when chameleon come up after you select the boot partition.

or add it to com.apple.boot.plist

should look like this

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

Thanks Lukeyb I'll try that and report back...

@prettyby7 - Your KP is common with not using Netkas' PC EFI boot v10

Thanks for the quick response blackosx I will start over again to ensure I'm using Netkas' PC EFI boot v10

Well I am on my hack now and I am willing to compare anything you want to from my system to yours.

I have just put my system to sleep with the System Pref / Logs / system.log opened and this is what it reported.

I have only this it is the first two lines and after that it just shutdowns. It even detects there was improper shutdown.

post-246944-1251826932_thumb.jpg

What owner and rights should /E/E kexts have in case they don't load properly ? I tried to repair them with kext utility but to no help.

My Cham partition works without having to set any ownership of files etc... Here's a screengrab from Terminal of my Extensions folder.

EDIT: And sudo kextstat show SleepEnabler loaded

EDIT: And I am not using an Extensions.mkext

post-331032-1251827848_thumb.png

post-331032-1251827955_thumb.png

My Cham partition works without having to set any ownership of files etc... Here's a screengrab from Terminal of my Extensions folder.

EDIT: And sudo kextstat show SleepEnabler loaded

EDIT: And I am not using an Extensions.mkext

I have SleepEnabler but what I noticed is that you have some Disabler.kext in /e/e. What is it ?

I have SleepEnabler but what I noticed is that you have some Disabler.kext in /e/e. What is it ?

That's just to disable AppleUpstreamUserClient in /S/L/E as it causes the QuickTime mouse lag bug for my nVidia 8800GT. There is a new version SleepEnabler out with this disabler added so I only need one kext but I haven't tried it yet.

But this shouldn't affect sleep.

Oh my...Kitty is so fragile. I tried another sleepenabler I found and man that was fun ! It caused x32 version to KP right at beginning and x64 like 20 seconds after GUI started. I managed to repair it but what must poor kitty think about me now ! :-(

Oh my...Kitty is so fragile. I tried another sleepenabler I found and man that was fun ! It caused x32 version to KP right at beginning and x64 like 20 seconds after GUI started. I managed to repair it but what must poor kitty think about me now ! :-(

Yeah, she gets sick quick when she's fed bad food. :dev:

If you do a sudo kextload on your system with the SleepEnabler from my SupportFiles in /E/E, does it show as loaded, like in the screenshot I posted?

I guess you mean sudo kextstat, then yes it shows there. It is loaded it just do weird stuff. My kitty is probably smoking something and does not want to play :-)

EDIT: I give up I tried just everythink thinkable to me and it does not work :-(

I guess you mean sudo kextstat, then yes it shows there. It is loaded it just do weird stuff. My kitty is probably smoking something and does not want to play :-)

Oh yes, Sorry, I meant kextstat.. Have you any other hardware plugged in to your system that could cause it not to sleep?

EDIT: for anyone who's interested..

I have just updated the guide to v2.1.

Have you any other hardware plugged in to your system that could cause it not to sleep?

No just keyboard and mouse. I will try to get some help in SleepEnabler thread. But really thanks for trying to help.

What a fantastic guide. Thank you for making it so easy to understand! I have everything working in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode, with graphics, audio, ethernet, etc. all working via DSDT (no EFI strings).

The only thing that doesn't work for me (and hasn't been working for a while) is automatic sleep. Manual sleep works just fine, but automatic sleep never triggers - only the display goes dark but the computer itself stays on. The "Restart automatically after power failure" option in System Preferences, which is reportedly the fix for a lot of people, is not available on my system. Sleep does work if there is a disc in the optical drive. I've searched and searched and have yet to be able to find a solution for this.

Have you experienced this before, and are you aware of a fix, either via some setting, through DSDT, or otherwise?

Thanks again. :thumbsup_anim:

@blackosx -- have you read my earlier post regarding Time Machine and kernel panics? I'm curious whether you've also been experiencing a similar problem. Once I enabled Time Machine and it started backing up files, I would get a kernel panic within maybe 30 minutes of normal usage (e.g. web-browsing). Now that I've disabled TM backups again, I've been able to run a CPUTest for over an hour with no issues. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Also, I'm using your com.apple.Boot.plist that's using the -x32 string, but is there any way to confirm that it's really running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode while in Snow Leopard?