[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@blackosx

wow i fail. ignore the Extensions.mkext not being there. but when i issue that command i get this:

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/Accusys6xxxx.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/ALF.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/Apple_iSight.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleBacklight.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleBMC.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleFileSystemDriver.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib.kext is not valid

kextcache: kext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext is not valid

then a bunch of missing dependencies

ie.

Missing dependencies:

{

"com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily" =

"No valid version of this dependency can be found"

}

warning: kernel extension /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/ACard62xxM.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

I haven't run this command for a while now, and I am not using my hack at the moment to try it, but it a permissions issue. I remember having some errors too..

Before running that command type the following...

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions

See if that makes a difference.

Just wanted to report another successful install with the help of this guide!! I have LAN, video, sound (with the 889a.kext in the /E/E folder) in my DSDS.aml file.

I did my first install from within Leopard 10.5.6 and like others I had to de-select the printer drivers when installing to receive the successful install message. Had to rebuild the caches before the first boot. After confirming that everything was working ok (LAN,Sound, etc) I then did another install to another partition from the new Snow Leo install and this time let the printer drivers install and it did so successfully this time.

Also after this second install from within the original Snow Leo install I did not even have to rebuild the startup caches. It booted fine but I did still run kext utility to repair /S/L/E. I also used kext utility to build an extension.mkext of my /E/E in the boot partition.

I did get some help from desau13 with getting my sound working and wanted to thank him as well as blackosx for his awesome guide!!!!

Dora

Just wanted to report another successful install with the help of this guide!! I have LAN, video, sound (with the 889a.kext in the /E/E folder) in my DSDS.aml file.

I did my first install from within Leopard 10.5.6 and like others I had to de-select the printer drivers when installing to receive the successful install message. Had to rebuild the caches before the first boot. After confirming that everything was working ok (LAN,Sound, etc) I then did another install to another partition from the new Snow Leo install and this time let the printer drivers install and it did so successfully this time.

Also after this second install from within the original Snow Leo install I did not even have to rebuild the startup caches. It booted fine but I did still run kext utility to repair /S/L/E. I also used kext utility to build an extension.mkext of my /E/E in the boot partition.

I did get some help from desau13 with getting my sound working and wanted to thank him as well as blackosx for his awesome guide!!!!

Dora

Fantastic - Well done :D

I didn't know about not installing printer drivers to help the installer finish. I'll have to add that tip to the front page. And as for you performing another install of Snow Leopard from with Snow Leopard, this could be a good tip too for anyone who isn't happy that their install is 100% stable..

Thanks doradekell :)

installed, booted up into SL and hit the KPs.

Page 14, Fix A

Well done for getting this far, you're nearly there...

Try removing the /Volumes/SL/Library/Cache folder

Does your SL install stay usable long enough to run kext utility from it?

Or maybe Fix B (with the typo N) from the guide?

haha i wondered why its called Fix N. :D

no it doesnt stay up long enough. i'll give it a shot tho.

btw i know its been said but you rock for all the work and time you put into these guides

thanks soooo much

is there a reason we're using Cham 2 R1 instead of R2?

haha i wondered why its called Fix N. :dev:

no it doesnt stay up long enough. i'll give it a shot tho.

btw i know its been said but you rock for all the work and time you put into these guides

thanks soooo much

is there a reason we're using Cham 2 R1 instead of R2?

Thanks hetman, I'm just giving back to the community when I can :)

I started this guide using Chameleon v2 RC1 because I read on Netkas' site that it was the best way. However, I have since heard of people mentioning that they are using RC2.. So give it a go if you want..

There is a small discussion on voodooprojects' forum if you want to have a read, it's topic,710.0.html under

Chameleon Board > Bug Reports > Chameleon 2.0 can't boot Snow Leopard.

The problem has been fixed for the next release (whenever that will be)

Just a little exciting thing I just found : Guide on how to enable NTFS read/write support with original built-in driver. I haven't tried it yet but looking forward to try it right when I get to home. Also I am going to play a little with AppleHDA (hopefully without KPs).

Just a little exciting thing I just found : Guide on how to enable NTFS read/write support with original built-in driver. I haven't tried it yet but looking forward to try it right when I get to home. Also I am going to play a little with AppleHDA (hopefully without KPs).

Found a list of 6 ALC888 codec dump on another website along with Taruga AppleHda Patcher !

Gonna try them when I get back home.

Good find titan4. I will be interested in hearing how you get on with them both :dev:

Found a list of 6 ALC888 codec dump on another website along with Taruga AppleHda Patcher !

Gonna try them when I get back home.

Okay. You can always use the codec dump I posted here which I made from my GA-EP45-DS3L.

Which mobo are you using? (Maybe create a signature with your hardware details in?)

Good find titan4. I will be interested in hearing how you get on with them both :P

Okay. You can always use the codec dump I posted here which I made from my GA-EP45-DS3L.

Which mobo are you using? (Maybe create a signature with your hardware details in?)

Done with the signature, I'm using a EP45-DS3L as well.

Concerning your dump, I didn't see it !

I wanna try a few of them see if the digital out get 5.1 otherwise I'll start looking into creating my own after I solved my GFX problem. :)

I wanna try a few of them see if the digital out get 5.1 otherwise I'll start looking into creating my own after I solved my GFX problem. :)

Cool. Thanks for that. :P

I was just checking which mobo you had as I couldn't remember and I didn't want this thread to get confused with codec dumps and audio patches for different mobo's.

Good luck with your investigations :)

One thing I find confusing about the guide is the PC EFI boot file section. If I understand correctly, PC EFI v10.1 should be used for booting without DSDT.aml, and that is the included version with this guide. But isn't the point to boot with the DSDT.aml file, therefore requiring v10.0? Or can v10.1 boot with and without a DSDT.aml? Just trying to wrap my head around this :unsure:

I wanna try a few of them see if the digital out get 5.1 otherwise I'll start looking into creating my own after I solved my GFX problem. :unsure:

Big news, I've got 5.1 surround from digital coaxial output and my 7300 GS nvidia working in dual display mode !

Still a few KP but I'm gonna start from scratch again cause I did a lot of tweaks.

For audio, working OOB when setting up audio from DSDT

For gfx, I injected an efi string using the nvcap from my previous nvinject.kext (the one that was not 32bits compatible).

Thanks everyone for the help, especially you blackosx.

Big news, I've got 5.1 surround from digital coaxial output and my 7300 GS nvidia working in dual display mode !

Still a few KP but I'm gonna start from scratch again cause I did a lot of tweaks.

For gfx, I injected an efi string using the nvcap from my previous nvinject.kext (the one that was not 32bits compatible).

Nice, can you share how you made it work please ? You will save me some time and you will have my eternal gratitude :-) I just got to home few minutes ago so I was eager to try something but since you already made it...

EDIT: And I tried that ntfs r/w method and it works perfectly and since i need ntfs because of my external drive i use on multiple computers and can't force other people to install something on windows so they can read hfs drive. Only disadvantage is need of setting it for every ntfs drive I use, however it is nice clean native solution.

One thing I find confusing about the guide is the PC EFI boot file section. If I understand correctly, PC EFI v10.1 should be used for booting without DSDT.aml, and that is the included version with this guide. But isn't the point to boot with the DSDT.aml file, therefore requiring v10.0? Or can v10.1 boot with and without a DSDT.aml? Just trying to wrap my head around this :)

Hi Cinner

PC EFI v10.0 will boot Snow Leopard but you need a DSDT.aml (the booter would stall without one).

PC EFI v10.1 is the same as v10.0 but includes a small fix to stop the booter failing without a DSDT.aml.

So to answer your question, v10.1 can boot with and without a DSDT.aml.

I chose to use v10.1 to hopefully save confusion. Because if I supplied v10.0 and people wanted to try installing without a DSDT.aml, then I would have to instruct them to use a different boot file, which seemed pointless.

Hope that helps :)

Wow.. Great work philippebezoteaux :D

Bet you're happy now you have dual display working :)

When you get a chance can you explain more about the 5.1 sound and how we can all achieve the same?

Thanks

Nice, can you share how you made it work please ? You will save me some time and you will have my eternal gratitude :-) I just got to home few minutes ago so I was eager to try something but since you already made it...

EDIT: And I tried that ntfs r/w method and it works perfectly and since i need ntfs because of my external drive i use on multiple computers and can't force other people to install something on windows so they can read hfs drive. Only disadvantage is need of setting it for every ntfs drive I use, however it is nice clean native solution.

And great work by you too... titan4 :D

This native NTFS read/write will prove useful. If I get some time this weekend I will have a look at the link you posted.

Thanks

After playing arround for a few days I finally got Snow Leopard running, even in 64Bit mode.

A few things I have to point out though.

For me SL works with only three extensions:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

What are the other extensions for? Will I run into problems sooner or later, if I use them? I installed more of them, but then 64Bit-Mode run into a kernel panic right on startup.

Installing from USB-Drive only works once, it seems. If I try a second install on the same volume, the install fails. At least that was, what I was thinking, because I tried to install several times. Does someone else notice that? Are there special files created by the installer on the USB-Volume, which remember the Harddrive installed to or something like that?

If I create a fresh USB-Stick or Installation-Volume on HD, I can install again.

Installing from USB-Drive is absolutely necessary, because I noticed, that Repairing rights on the SL-STartup Disk isn't possible, if installed via the osInstall.mpkg method. So later you'll run into problems, if you want to repair permissions, if you installed via osInstall.mpkg method.

The guide should include the LegacyHD.kexts necessary for other boards. I found a collection of them here on insanelymac, just search for LegacyHD.kext. So Audio on my GA-P35-DS4 works just fine with those kexts and DSDT.aml made with the PC-Software for creating those.

Just completed an install to a fresh SATA drive using a USB Connected laptop hard drive to install from. I burned a DMG of the retail 10.6 dvd to the USB drive per blackosx instructions and it worked great to install Snow Leopard. I had a few small problems due to some minor errors I made but eventually got 10.6 to boot and run great in 32 bit mode. Ethernet and sound worked out of the box using blackosx "green" kexts. I used my old com.apple.Boot.plist video section from 10.5.8 for my NV 8500GT to get full video support. I did make the edit to the DSDT.aml file for the bios reset fix and it works fine. So far I am happy running in 32 bit mode after transferring all my files and settings to 10.6 and getting the final bugs worked out. I did have an issue with 10.6 getting into a loop just after it asked for my imported network settings. I restarted and had to create a new account to make it quit looping. Later I deleted the new account and now everything is back to my original account set-up from 10.5.8 just like it was - only faster!

Thanks to blackosx for the great guide and to all the other amazing contributors who got all of us so far so fast!

After playing arround for a few days I finally got Snow Leopard running, even in 64Bit mode.

A few things I have to point out though.

For me SL works with only three extensions:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

What are the other extensions for? Will I run into problems sooner or later, if I use them? I installed more of them, but then 64Bit-Mode run into a kernel panic right on startup.

Installing from USB-Drive only works once, it seems. If I try a second install on the same volume, the install fails. At least that was, what I was thinking, because I tried to install several times. Does someone else notice that? Are there special files created by the installer on the USB-Volume, which remember the Harddrive installed to or something like that?

If I create a fresh USB-Stick or Installation-Volume on HD, I can install again.

Installing from USB-Drive is absolutely necessary, because I noticed, that Repairing rights on the SL-STartup Disk isn't possible, if installed via the osInstall.mpkg method. So later you'll run into problems, if you want to repair permissions, if you installed via osInstall.mpkg method.

The guide should include the LegacyHD.kexts necessary for other boards. I found a collection of them here on insanelymac, just search for LegacyHD.kext. So Audio on my GA-P35-DS4 works just fine with those kexts and DSDT.aml made with the PC-Software for creating those.

Hi Professor

This is good you have SL running - Well done ;)

The other extensions.....

NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext - Disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

OpenHaltRestart.kext - Allows the computer to shutdown & restart.

PlatformUUID.kext - Stops the CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

SleepEnabler.kext - Allows your computer to enter sleep mode with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disabled.

I have also heard before that installing from USB can only work once. This is interesting and needs more confirmation?

I haven't tried to install from my USB more than once to the same volume. But I have use my USB installer more than once on different volumes.

I definitely agree that installing with the OSInstall.mpkg is now the last option people should consider. That's what I have promoted the USB install in my latest version of the guide.

As for including LegacyHDA.kexts for other boards? I maybe could add links to downloads for LegacyHDA packs for different mobos. But what I don't want is to flood this thread with discussions of audio for different mobos. So for that I'm not sure if that's a good idea. This guide was written purely for the GA-EP45-DS3L and although it has helped users with other mobo's get up and running, which I am more than happy about, I think narrowing this thread to the GA-EP45-DS3L has helped identify issues quicker and bring together newer features that we have seen only in the last few pages of posts. Diversifying this thread for all the variations of other boards could maybe lead to confusion. What does everybody else think?

To @blackosx or anyone who got SL to work stable in 64bit mode, without shutting down or reboot your PC, how many hours (or days) does your SL PC run before it crashes, if it ever?

Hi undo_undo - I pretty much always use my hackintosh with the kernel in 32-bit mode. And it hasn't crashed, frozen or KP'd for weeks now. It's rock solid and very stable. But I can't answer that for 64-bit mode as I don't use it that often. But Now you have asked I am going to switch to 64-bit and let you know.

Just completed an install to a fresh SATA drive using a USB Connected laptop hard drive to install from. I burned a DMG of the retail 10.6 dvd to the USB drive per blackosx instructions and it worked great to install Snow Leopard. I had a few small problems due to some minor errors I made but eventually got 10.6 to boot and run great in 32 bit mode. Ethernet and sound worked out of the box using blackosx "green" kexts. I used my old com.apple.Boot.plist video section from 10.5.8 for my NV 8500GT to get full video support. I did make the edit to the DSDT.aml file for the bios reset fix and it works fine. So far I am happy running in 32 bit mode after transferring all my files and settings to 10.6 and getting the final bugs worked out. I did have an issue with 10.6 getting into a loop just after it asked for my imported network settings. I restarted and had to create a new account to make it quit looping. Later I deleted the new account and now everything is back to my original account set-up from 10.5.8 just like it was - only faster!

Thanks to blackosx for the great guide and to all the other amazing contributors who got all of us so far so fast!

Brilliant - Well done Solow - And good thinking with the user account trick.

Thanks for reporting back and sharing your success :)

To @blackosx or anyone who got SL to work stable in 64bit mode, without shutting down or reboot your PC, how many hours (or days) does your SL PC run before it crashes, if it ever?

Thank you.

I am using Snow Kitty whole time exclusively in 64-bit and in time I had KP once and that was after some tweaks I tried. I repaired permissions after that and since then I had 0 KPs and I am running it at least 4-5 hours daily. Kitty will have more time to play tomorrow I guess, but so far I am very happy with it.