[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

On another thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...81209&st=20

I'm reading that the install needs to be from the DVD and not simply by mounting the DMG. They are saying that the 32bit kernel isn't loading even if you use -x32 if you have installed SL from a mounted DMG.

Is this true, is it essential to install from the retail dvd?

Thanks.

Actually that is why a lot of us are suggesting the USB memory stick method. Works better than a retail disk because you can boot from it, unlike a disk image.

Hi All,

RE: 32bit - 64bit

I can run in 64bit with no KP's. Sleep, Restart, Shutdown....Stable run.

I cannot load in 32bit. Seems that SL loads 64bit no matter what flag is used. I can only run 32bit if I use -s or -f. I'm installing from my 10.5.6, and I've tried a mounted DMG and directly from the retail disk and neither made a difference.

Any Ideas?

RE: Sound

I was finally able to get sound ALC889a (885) with DSDT patch & LegacyHDA.kext in Chameleon/Extra/Extensions!

I used Patcher02Beta5 (windows program) and created a custom DSDT with Network & Audio only. It would appear that there is an error in Patcher02Beta5 when selecting ALC889a with HDEF ticked.

It creates this line;

layout-id => 0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

But it should be this line;

layout-id => 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

You'll need to change the 79 to 75. This is found in your DSDT.dsl under Device (HDEF)

I am also using the green labeled LegacyHDA.kext (3outs/2ins regular headphones) from How to patch guide...

Download link; http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=53274

I pretty much tried all of the Legacy kexts...and damn there are A TON of them! :P This is the only one that would work for me.

Please provide suggestions to boot in 32bit... Help!

Things are about to change... ;)

I have just found this post by the legend that is superhai.....

He has made a BootCD using the yet to be released Chameleon v2 RC3 v655..

and it will boot the SnowLeopard DVD!

What a great find Blackosx!!!

Hopefully it will come out as a "generic" version very quickly!

What does he mean by;

-Use 64 bit (it is 32 bit due to the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from 10.5)

What is AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext used for?

Just wanted to report another successful install with the help of this guide!! I have LAN, video, sound (with the 889a.kext in the /E/E folder) in my DSDS.aml file.

I did my first install from within Leopard 10.5.6 and like others I had to de-select the printer drivers when installing to receive the successful install message. Had to rebuild the caches before the first boot. After confirming that everything was working ok (LAN,Sound, etc) I then did another install to another partition from the new Snow Leo install and this time let the printer drivers install and it did so successfully this time.

Also after this second install from within the original Snow Leo install I did not even have to rebuild the startup caches. It booted fine but I did still run kext utility to repair /S/L/E. I also used kext utility to build an extension.mkext of my /E/E in the boot partition.

I did get some help from desau13 with getting my sound working and wanted to thank him as well as blackosx for his awesome guide!!!!

Dora

Hi Dora,

So your first install from within 10.5.6 was a mounted dmg correct?

Have you tried to repair permissions in your new snow install using Disk Utility? and if so...

Did you have to re-install the BSD.pkg from within your newly created snow install for that to work?

There wasn't any "initial boot up" commands or instructions in the guide so how did you know to rebuild the startup caches prior to the first boot? I think this is why everyone is getting KP's.

Can you boot in 32bit?

When you did your 2nd snow install from within the first, were you in 32 or 64 bit?

Is there any importance to getting the printer drivers to install with the main system install? Can't your desired printer drive be installed afterward via software update?

Why is it necessary to run kext utility to repair /S/L/E when it's a clean install?

NOOB, just trying to understand a few of the basics. :withstupid:

@blackosx

What memory are you using? Do you know the model number? I am having some compatibility issues with my Patriot memory and BIOS F10. It needs to be replaced and I would like to get something that is known to work for other people.

WoW! It works on my Asus P5L-MX ! Booted the SL DVD and did an install and it runs . I didn't change out any .kext files and it runs amazing. To get my graphics (I know lame) Intel 950 native resolution just required the usual .kext change . I also need to fix sound and bummer my USB Zydas WiFi software no longer works. Took like 20 mins to install and get running(without the needed fixes for perfection) I've been working on this for maybe two weeks nearly everyday. Sorry for talking about another mobo. later

PS: I have to use the bootloader cd every time to boot. It must be booting the needed kexts etc into a RAM disk or something so that they load. I will need to sort out which files I need at some point.

Hi BlackOS,

I have successfully install the 64-bit snow leopard by following your guard. However, when I boot-up with 32-bit kernel, my machine can't resume from sleep (it can automatically sleep and it can't recover by pushing the power button. When I do so, it will resume with KP and ask me to restart). I have verified this issue in 64-bit kernel and it is OK. Any idea?

Beside, I am using a USB dongle for wireless connection (PCI G54Mini) before. It has driver support 10.5 OS natively. It can run normally in 32-bit snow leopard also but it can't get any connection in 64-bit kernel (I think it is driver problem). Any idea to resolve this issue OR any brand of wireless USB dongle can support snow Leopard?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi All, Well, I've got all my software installed and everything on SL is looking great. Works as stable as 10.5.8 does. Now I've got a couple of questions and observations. While I've been practicing on SL, I've been using Chameleon on a USB stick...100% vanilla.

Question: What are most using for bootloading...USB stick, EFI partition, or installing Chameleon directly to the SL system disk?

Observations: With SL, it appears that the EFI partition gets handled differently. First of all, I think it's 207mb as opposed to 200mb. Also, with SL (using Munky's method), the EFI partition shows up in Disk Utility...it didn't in Leopard. And even though you can chflags hidden, the EFI partition shows up on the bootloader...it didn't in Leopard. It's not a big deal, it just makes it one more click to have to use to get to the proper OS.

Also, and this is with both SL and L, if booted with Chameleon on a USB stick, the USB light stays on when when shutting down from OSX. If Windows is loaded, on exit, the USB light goes off. The same thing happens with the lights on my Linksys WRT320N router. When I shutdown after OSX, the yellow light stays on (no activity should be a blue light). When I shutdown after Windows, the yellow light goes off as it should.

Is this all normal with OSX vs. Windows on shutdown? And are the SL and L EFI partitions handled differently? Thanks for any info.

@blackosx

What memory are you using? Do you know the model number? I am having some compatibility issues with my Patriot memory and BIOS F10. It needs to be replaced and I would like to get something that is known to work for other people.

Hi EzEzE - I am using this Corsair XMS2 memory.

WoW! It works on my Asus P5L-MX ! Booted the SL DVD and did an install and it runs .

This is great it get's SL installed for you.

It was late last night, and I had time to just try build my own BootCD from the new cdboot file and although it allowed me to see the SL install DVD, to failed to boot it properly...

So this morning I am going to try just using the original downloaded file for the Dell, rather then building my own, just out of interest to see if that works :(

EDIT: This is confirmed as working.... You can now install Snow Leopard from Superhai's BootCD!

I will update the front page on this topic to reflect this.

Hi everyone, Is anyone noticing that snow to snow networking is really slow, I've used the bonjour fix and tried dhcp manual ip etc but not very impressed with how long it takes to authenticate and how it can seem to forget the last window it was using and then takes ages to reconnect again. Maybe it's just me but have snow running on 2 machines and a g5 iMac with 10.5.8 which is much quicker networking wise.

Hi BlackOS,

I have successfully install the 64-bit snow leopard by following your guard. However, when I boot-up with 32-bit kernel, my machine can't resume from sleep (it can automatically sleep and it can't recover by pushing the power button. When I do so, it will resume with KP and ask me to restart). I have verified this issue in 64-bit kernel and it is OK. Any idea?

Beside, I am using a USB dongle for wireless connection (PCI G54Mini) before. It has driver support 10.5 OS natively. It can run normally in 32-bit snow leopard also but it can't get any connection in 64-bit kernel (I think it is driver problem). Any idea to resolve this issue OR any brand of wireless USB dongle can support snow Leopard?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi ee_wmkab - I don't know about your sleep issue, What hardware are you using?

I haven't tried with a USB dongle for wireless but it does sound like a driver problem.

Hi All, Well, I've got all my software installed and everything on SL is looking great. Works as stable as 10.5.8 does. Now I've got a couple of questions and observations. While I've been practicing on SL, I've been using Chameleon on a USB stick...100% vanilla.

Question: What are most using for bootloading...USB stick, EFI partition, or installing Chameleon directly to the SL system disk?

Observations: With SL, it appears that the EFI partition gets handled differently. First of all, I think it's 207mb as opposed to 200mb. Also, with SL (using Munky's method), the EFI partition shows up in Disk Utility...it didn't in Leopard. And even though you can chflags hidden, the EFI partition shows up on the bootloader...it didn't in Leopard. It's not a big deal, it just makes it one more click to have to use to get to the proper OS.

Also, and this is with both SL and L, if booted with Chameleon on a USB stick, the USB light stays on when when shutting down from OSX. If Windows is loaded, on exit, the USB light goes off. The same thing happens with the lights on my Linksys WRT320N router. When I shutdown after OSX, the yellow light stays on (no activity should be a blue light). When I shutdown after Windows, the yellow light goes off as it should.

Is this all normal with OSX vs. Windows on shutdown? And are the SL and L EFI partitions handled differently? Thanks for any info.

Hi BJMoose, with my guides I always point to using a separate partition to install Chameleon on to, that way the retail install remains untouched and at any time it's easy wipe the Chameleon partition and start again etc... without messing up the retails install.

With SL, I haven't tried using the EFI partition for Chameleon yet so I can't comment on that you say about size or if it shows up in Disk Utility etc.. Sorry mate

And regarding your USB observation, I haven't noticed this before, but I have never looked for it either. I will try it with a memory stick etc. and let you know. :)

Things are about to change... :)

Great - But the link you're providing isn't working. Can you post the file somewhere here again?

How is this supposed to work?

it boots, Chameleon GUI shows up, if I put in the installation DVD and try to boot it says "mach_kernel not found"

Update Found it out myself. But now the Installation DVD boots, but after a while i get the stop sign. seems kexts or something else is not compatible with my mb

How is this supposed to work?

it boots, Chameleon GUI shows up, if I put in the installation DVD and try to boot it says "mach_kernel not found"

Update Found it out myself. But now the Installation DVD boots, but after a while i get the stop sign. seems kexts or something else is not compatible with my mb

I have now 'borrowed' Superhai's BootCD and added the Support Files from this guide on to it. You can download it from the Files section of the front page of this thread. All I can say is it works for my system. I have given the instructions for using it under the download link.

I guess this was an experimental BootCD by Superhai for testing purposes, so if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work. Maybe because you have a different mobo?

Hello,

I've installed SL on my machine (very similar to the one on the tutorial - gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L, etc). And there is one issue I can't fix, so please if you all can test:

My machine have 4 GB of RAM. It boots really stable BUT if start opening several apps at the same time (and free memory goes below 2.85gb) bang - kernel panic.

It gives a KP without any info (that gray screen with a big round power button).

It only happens on 64-bit kernel. On 32-bit kernel I have no problem at all.

I tried rebuilding the kext cache but it keeps on the same panics.

Any help will be very welcome.

C0h1b4

Wow.. Great work philippebezoteaux :D

Bet you're happy now you have dual display working :)

When you get a chance can you explain more about the 5.1 sound and how we can all achieve the same?

Hi everyone !

I'm not gonna be available this weekend. Just writing this reply live from london apple store !

Regarding the 5.1, i didn't do anything. It's working OOB from blackosx tuto using coaxial output. I just ran a test video to make sure it was working.

Geat job for the ntfs thing, I'll check this on monday.

Hi Dora,

So your first install from within 10.5.6 was a mounted dmg correct? Yes

Have you tried to repair permissions in your new snow install using Disk Utility? Yes

and if so...

Did you have to re-install the BSD.pkg from within your newly created snow install for that to work? No it was working but I was seeing all the invisible files after that initial install you normally do not see /var, /bin etc..

There wasn't any "initial boot up" commands or instructions in the guide so how did you know to rebuild the startup caches prior to the first boot? The instructions are in the guide on page 14 fix A and N (N was supposed to be a B I read).

Can you boot in 32bit? Well I thought I was until I came back to this post to see it may be running 64 bit. When in verbose mode loading I see the 64 bit Enabled screen but understood that to be normal. I have to admint I need to know how to check for you. Here is what shows in a uname -a command:

Darwin mymac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

When you did your 2nd snow install from within the first, were you in 32 or 64 bit? Depends on the question above.

Is there any importance to getting the printer drivers to install with the main system install? Can't your desired printer drive be installed afterward via software update? No not really but it was just piece of mind for me knowing I could do a normal install.

Why is it necessary to run kext utility to repair /S/L/E when it's a clean install? It may not have been needed but having done so many installs prior I kinda got into the habit.

NOOB, just trying to understand a few of the basics. :)

No problem. Trust me I still consider myself a nOOb as well especially when thing change daily!

Edit: I did find an app that will let you see your current setup as far as if 32 bit or 64 bit kernel is being loaded as well as the EFI. My system is running the 32 bit kernel. The link to this app is here.

Dora

Wanted to get on and let people know that I did get my EP35-DS3R working using this method.

I was able to get by my KP on the installer by not including my custom dsdt.aml on the USB installer drive. I picked a minimal install and it worked.

The only issue I am having now is that when I try to mount DMG files I get a certain KP. According to OSX fsck-hfs crashes on me.

After reading about this problem on the forum, it seems like the best way to fix it is to install 10.6 to another HD using my current 10.6 install.

Does anyone know the method for doing that?

I have now 'borrowed' Superhai's BootCD and added the Support Files from this guide on to it. You can download it from the Files section of the front page of this thread. All I can say is it works for my system. I have given the instructions for using it under the download link.

I guess this was an experimental BootCD by Superhai for testing purposes, so if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work. Maybe because you have a different mobo?

Many Thanks for your modified BootCD, this one works on my system. Your guide and your support are very helpful.

The Installation works from DVD, even though the progress bar of the installation dialog stops somewhere in the middle, but after waiting a while, it restarted automatically and the system was fully working on the HD i have choosen for install.

I have a question:

Is it possible to add my own files to the bootCD image? What I want to add is a dsdt.aml, since after restarting after installation the CMOS was resetted. And my own com.apple.boot.plist. I tried to resize the image with disk utility but had no success. Can you please give me an advice how i can alter the bootCD with my own files?

Ha, actually philippebezoteaux is right about 5.1 digital working OOB. It works when using Perian and QuickTime to play it after setting with this guide. I tried it only in VLC before and there it does not work. Only there is a bug in latest version of Perian regarding DTS which will be fixed in next release.

And I am starting to have serious issues regarding stability lot of things seems to start freezing on me both on 32 and 64 bit version i am thinking about reinstalling because it is true that I played with things a lot.

And I am starting to have serious issues regarding stability lot of things seems to start freezing on me both on 32 and 64 bit version i am thinking about reinstalling because it is true that I played with things a lot.

Try the BootCD from the front page of this thread.. I am updating the guide right now, but when following the guide, use the BootCD for step 3. If you do then please let me know how you get on. I have just done a complete install from it :)

Try the BootCD from the front page of this thread.. I am updating the guide right now, but when following the guide, use the BootCD for step 3. If you do then please let me know how you get on. I have just done a complete install from it :)

Actually I repaired permissions with Disk Utility (and there was lot to repair) and it seems to work OK right now. I will see how it will behave this evening and decide what to do with it.

EDIT: OK my kitty is seriously screwed so I am going to try your cd :-)

EDIT2: Your CD works fine ! What is nice is that I reinstalled it without 10.5 just from retail DVD. I only erased SL partition and chameleon still worked fine after install.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this!!!!

I have spent ages always working out the processes need to upgrade my system etc etc etc... I have NEVER seen a guide as detailed and well laid out as yours, nor so complete!! It made this upgrade almost as pleasant as a real mac :) I only have one concern, LAN.... I have tried both options on the dsdt patcher gig and lan and both work (and with ifconfig bonjour too) HOWEVER, The fastest speed I am getting os around 1Mbps and I am on a 30Mbps Connection!!! If I load back into my 10.5.7 then everything is great.... I have bounced kexts all around between the two in addition to kext only and dsdt only... any ideas?? Finding the right phrasing for a search has turned futile LOL

thanks in advance AND THANKS AGAIN FOR THE POST!!!!

PS rig is IDENTICAL to yours...

@blackosx,

If you recall a while ago I had an issue with Chameleon not loading kexts from /Volumes/cham. It turns out that there was also an /Extra/Extensions directory directly on the OS partition. How that was created I have no idea, but placing kexts there and making an Extensions.mkext in that /Extra directory will load all kexts. I know one other person here had a similar issue, too, so perhaps you can mention this in your topic post.

Also, there is an issue with using IDE drives through the JMicron controller on the GA-EP45-DS3L with more than 2GB of memory installed on the board. Accessing IDE drives with more than 2GB of memory used generates KPs. A fix for that is presented in Slashack's post (link to the kexts). He has a modded JMicron kext that fixes this issue (and loads over the system's own driver when placed in /Extra/Extensions! :offtopic:).

I hope someone finds this useful.

My machine have 4 GB of RAM. It boots really stable BUT if start opening several apps at the same time (and free memory goes below 2.85gb) bang - kernel panic.

Hi c0h1b4

I don't know what could be causing your issue. I tried to replicate it using the kernel in 64-bit mode, as I also have 4GB RAM, but I don't have your problem. My system seems rock solid. I have attached a screenshot showing memory usage in Activity Monitor.

@philippebezoteaux - Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Apple Store ;)

Thanks for confirming that 5.1 works OoB, I haven't tried it but titan4 has posted he has it working - So thanks again :(

@poofyhairguy - Well done with your install :)

Interesting about nor including your DSDT.aml on the USB installer drive..

And yes, doing an install of 10.6 from 10.6 should yield better results with a more stable system. But you could always try the new BootCD to install from the retail install DVD?

@Professor - Thanks for trying the BootCD and confirming it works for you :)

And thanks for reporting about the progress bar stopping but the installation completing. This might hopefully help someone else if it happens to them.

Yes, you can build your own BootCD and add your DSDT.aml etc. but I haven't got time at the moment to type it all out. But I will do when I get some time. (Sorry)

post-331032-1252184291_thumb.png