[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi macpapi. What hardware are you running? It sounds like a video card issue?

Thanks for letting me know. It's just a couple of people were asking me this in my DSDT thread and I didn't know the answer, as my 'About this Mac' window is like this. I will let them know.. Thanks BJMoose.

Hi Blackosx,

Using an EVGA GTX 260 Super Clocked card on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R

Hi Blackosx,

Using an EVGA GTX 260 Super Clocked card on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R

Okay thanks.

Are you using a DSDT.aml? if so, is it patched for your video card?

If not, then I would try adding a device (EFI) string for your video card.

I have just done some Googling for you and come up with this which recommends this

It might help, it might not?..

EDIT: You might want to follow the latest version of the guide v2.1 (with section 3a installing from USB)

I was guessing in case I couldn't get my 7300 gs working.

What GFX card would your recommand for dual display ?

I can't really give you a recommendation. I use an nVidia 8800GT, but that's pretty old now, where as the 9800 GT replaced it... and I haven't used a dual display for a few years now. So, sorry, maybe someone else can help you?

EDIT: There's a list of video cards in the 10.6 wiki

Okay thanks.

Are you using a DSDT.aml? if so, is it patched for your video card?

If not, then I would try adding a device (EFI) string for your video card.

I have just done some Googling for you and come up with this which recommends this

It might help, it might not?..

EDIT: You might want to follow the latest version of the guide v2.1 (with section 3a installing from USB)

Thanks!! i will try that

Thanks for letting me know. It's just a couple of people were asking me this in my DSDT thread and I didn't know the answer, as my 'About this Mac' window is like this. I will let them know.. Thanks BJMoose.

I will try to upload some pics of how to edit the "AboutThisMac.strings" file.

This is for the system in my office.

1. 1st pic is of About This Mac

2. AboutThisMac.strings is in System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/English.lproj

3. Copy AboutThisMac.strings onto your desktop

4. Open it with textedit

5. Go to the line in the appropriate pic and type in your processor etc.

6. Make sure you use the precise punctuation in the pic.

7. Drag and drop the new file to the old one.

8. After typing in your password, you're done.

No need to reboot before checking your new About This Mac.

post-102833-1251990462_thumb.png

post-102833-1251990502_thumb.png

post-102833-1251990746_thumb.png

I don't know if it'll help but if anyone is getting kernel panics straight after Chameleon starts booting into SL, try to make an Extensions.mkext in /Extra.

Doing so allowed me to boot but I'm still stuck at the grey screen (graphics works with full resolution but I can only see the cursor and spinning beach ball after about 5 minutes). I noticed netkas' fakesmc was complaining about something regarding the Mach-O file and failed to load. Could it be that the Apple binaries aren't decrypted properly and so the installer doesn't load?

Did MD5 checksums on the retail DVD and image. Both were identical and matched ones on the Internet. Even downloaded fakesmc.kext from netkas again to make sure.

Any ideas now?

Hey Black,

Sorry about the bad pic. Here is another, got it all this time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Black!

10h3m6d.jpg

Blackosx I posted the new pic. I'm not sure if you saw it. Can you make anything of it?? Thanks and I appreciate your feedback!

I can't really give you a recommendation. I use an nVidia 8800GT, but that's pretty old now, where as the 9800 GT replaced it... and I haven't used a dual display for a few years now. So, sorry, maybe someone else can help you?

EDIT: There's a list of video cards in the 10.6 wiki

I know that I can find cards on the wiki but it doesn't say anything about dual display.

Having a gfx card working on a single display isn't the hard part.3

If anyone else is using dual display, I'll be happy to know what you're using and how you made it work (kext, efi string, dsdt patching) ?

I don't know if it'll help but if anyone is getting kernel panics straight after Chameleon starts booting into SL, try to make an Extensions.mkext in /Extra.

Doing so allowed me to boot but I'm still stuck at the grey screen (graphics works with full resolution but I can only see the cursor and spinning beach ball after about 5 minutes). I noticed netkas' fakesmc was complaining about something regarding the Mach-O file and failed to load. Could it be that the Apple binaries aren't decrypted properly and so the installer doesn't load?

Did MD5 checksums on the retail DVD and image. Both were identical and matched ones on the Internet. Even downloaded fakesmc.kext from netkas again to make sure.

Any ideas now?

Hi Simonia. Well done with your trials to get you further down the install route, and thanks for sharing your tip for the Extensions.mkext in /Extra.

But as for your KP's now at ... Mach-O.... I don't know exactly what's causing that. If you're concerned over fakesmc, then try using Netkas' previous decypter; dsmos.kext (you can get it from his site).

Blackosx I posted the new pic. I'm not sure if you saw it. Can you make anything of it?? Thanks and I appreciate your feedback!

Hi prettyby7, I did see your post this morning and I apologise if I missed you in my morning replies. But unfortunately I don't have any answer for you. (I have seen so many posts of different KP's that I am just as confused as you).. It would be useful to have a database of kernel panic screens so everyone can compare against in the hope of finding a solutions.

Have you tried asking in any Asus threads?

I read somewhere that fakesmc was better than dsmos. But the kernel doesn't panic at Mach-O. It just doesn't load fakesmc but continues on. I think that the encrypted Apple binaries aren't being decrypted and thus not loading the installer (grey screen).

kaykayk,

So let me get this clear... this KP happens after you boot from your USB install drive and when installing 10.6?

Hi,

Yes,

that kp happens when i boot from the USB when i was trying to install 10.6

I have tried to remove all the kext except fakesmc, still no luck.

I have also tried to replace different dsdt.aml (all taylor made for my board by myself).. also couldn't help.

I have also tried load the default setting in bios. Which does not help as well.

I have 2 harddisk, 1 cd rom, all connected in sata in achi mode. 8600GT display card

thanks

Hi,

Yes,

that kp happens when i boot from the USB when i was trying to install 10.6

I have tried to remove all the kext except fakesmc, still no luck.

I have also tried to replace different dsdt.aml (all taylor made for my board by myself).. also couldn't help.

I have also tried load the default setting in bios. Which does not help as well.

I have 2 harddisk, 1 cd rom, all connected in sata in achi mode. 8600GT display card

thanks

Hi kaykayk, try my fix and see if it works. Boot into Leopard, drop your /Extra/Extensions folder onto KextUtility to build an Extensions.mkext. It solved this problem for me.

I read somewhere that fakesmc was better than dsmos. But the kernel doesn't panic at Mach-O. It just doesn't load fakesmc but continues on. I think that the encrypted Apple binaries aren't being decrypted and thus not loading the installer (grey screen).

fakesmc is the new evolution in osx86 and we no longer need dsmos.kext. I only mentioned dsmos.kext to you because you mentioned fakesmc was complaining about something and questioned if the Apple binaries weren't being decrypted properly.

So where does your kernel panic then? or where does the boot process get to in verbose mode?

fakesmc is the new evolution in osx86 and we no longer need dsmos.kext. I only mentioned dsmos.kext to you because you mentioned fakesmc was complaining about something and questioned if the Apple binaries weren't being decrypted properly.

So where does your kernel panic then? or where does the boot process get to in verbose mode?

Since I built an Extensions.kext, the kernel doesn't panic anymore. Verbose mode with the exception of fakesmc shows nothing out of the ordinary.

The boot process goes to completion and I'm greeted with a grey screen and mouse pointer which doesn't absolutely nothing even if I leave it for 10 minutes.

Since I built an Extensions.kext, the kernel doesn't panic anymore. Verbose mode with the exception of fakesmc shows nothing out of the ordinary.

The boot process goes to completion and I'm greeted with a grey screen and mouse pointer which doesn't absolutely nothing even if I leave it for 10 minutes.

That's what I thought from your description. I was going to suggest leaving it for a bit to see if the system came up, but I see you've already tried that... You're so close to getting your system booted... I bet it's driving you mad? ;)

That's what I thought from your description. I was going to suggest leaving it for a bit to see if the system came up, but I see you've already tried that... You're so close to getting your system booted... I bet it's driving you mad? ;)

Oh yeah, you've hit the nail right on the head! I'm still in disbelief that two systems with the same chipset can behave so differently...

Oh yeah, you've hit the nail right on the head! I'm still in disbelief that two systems with the same chipset can behave so differently...

Tell me about it....there are so many variables that seem to affect the install... I often wonder what Apple have coded in to SnowLeopard to make it so fussy?

Tell me about it....there are so many variables that seem to affect the install... I often wonder what Apple have coded in to SnowLeopard to make it so fussy?

Now that's a question that I'm afraid only Apple's engineers can answer. Maybe it's their attempt to thwart the OSx86 community?

yeah, but luckily those guys, who really want to get OS X working on their machines, are pretty tenacious :D

Got my Gigabyte 9500GT (1024MB) today, but I hardly can't get it to work...

1. added efi string with EFI Studio (custom nvidia -> 1024MB -> DVI-I / VGA)

2. deviceID (0x064010de) is already in NVDANVX0Hal.kext

reboot -> still shows up as

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	32 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0640
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 1024
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

Any hints?

Edit: Nevermind. Just used 8600GT efi string :) fully works now. Screenshots, too. This system works now 100% :)

My 8800 GTX luckily works like a charm including dual display. She is like 2+ years old but still a good and fast girl :-)

Regarding the fuss, ye I have same board as blackosx and sleep still don't work for me. I am guessing it is fault of either CPU or GFX (she is still good girl). I don't care anymore about it. When I tried things to fix it only thing I accomplished was hurting my poor kitty, coloring her with gray color. No more !

Well I am looking at Guide v2.1 and if you copy and paste from the PDF you will discover that

at the Bottom of page 3 it reads..

cp -f boot /Volumes/Install/

and at the Top of page 11 it reads...

cp -f boot /Volumes/Cham/

Now if you're questioning the kerning of the Frutiger typeface to help with reading it then I can try and widen it next time I update it.

Is it also possible to use ShowAll, delete the Cham boot and then drag/drop the Netkas boot?

This is what I did, doesn't it work out the same?

@ Blackosx & group,

I am posting a few lines from my Kernel.log which reports the following errors;

Sep 2 20:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

AppleUSBOHCI[0x54af800]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Sep 2 20:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Warning - com.jmicron.JMicronATA declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sep 2 20:34:41 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 33): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): NTFS volume is dirty. You should unmount it and run chkdsk.

Sep 2 20:34:44 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sep 2 20:34:46 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: [AppleBluetoothHIDMouse][handleStart] staticPrepControlChannelAction returned error e00002c0

Sep 2 20:34:46 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: [AppleBluetoothHIDMouse][handleStart] Failed.

Sep 2 20:34:50 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Sep 2 20:34:52 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

Sep 2 20:34:52 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

Sep 2 20:34:52 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

Sep 2 20:34:52 Johns-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

Sep 2 21:11:37 localhost kernel[0]: mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Can someone instruct me on how to resolve these issues?

Thanks!!! :rolleyes: