NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE!

B612

109 posts in this topic

Note for Quixos just in case he missed it over in the other forum. This might also help others with same problem

INTEL ONLY

obtain SecUpd2006-003Intel.dmg, and Pacifist 2.0, from Charlessoft.com

Install Pacifist 2.0 to your Applications folder

mount SecUpd2006-003Intel.dmg

right click on the SecUpd2006-003Intel.pkg and "Open with" >> "Other", navigate to Pacifist 2.0 you've installed

in your Applications Folder.

Pacifist will open and a 15 second timer will run, as it is unregistered. click on "Not Yet"

in Pacifist, click on the triangles to expand System and Library.

use Ctrl, to select EVERYTHING, ONE AT A TIME, EXCEPT --- System, Library, and CoreServices

pacifist8gy.jpg

type in your password to authenticate when required

two popups will come up, "Bundle Already Exists" and "File Already Exists",

check "Don't Ask Again..." for both,

click on "Update" for Bundles,

click on "Replace" for Files

after installation of files completes, Reboot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

as soon as you get into OS X, open Disk Utility from your Applications/Utilities folder and repair permissions on

your OS X installation, then open terminal and type...

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Quixos,

This method broke my permissions after the reboot. I was able to boot into the desktop but I could not initiate anything. Thanks GOD I have another partition with 10.4.4 installed on it. I rebooted into that one ran the permission repairs, ran the prebinding and then installed Semjaza's SecUpdate003. Once his update was complete I rebooted and logged into the 10.4.6 install but in safe mode. Did the usual chmod, chown, kextcache that we did with Maxxus installs. Rebooted and now all is fine.

What do you think got screwed after the update using Pacifist?

Install update2006.003 on OS x86 10.4.4 updated to 10.4.6, Maxxuss dectipt files.

Ok I couldn't get the update to work. Able to install it removing the 3 folders using pasifist. But could not find SemjaZa's install dectepted files; and replace.sh commarnd just gave a version error.

Continued anyway! And. It kept frezzing on reboot with just the background image, with no icons or dock. Being new to OS x, this was a loss for me.

I was able to get it working by installing with pasifist, removing three folders. Then installing the intel fixed finder update 2006.003 file, SemjaZaSecUpd003.dmg

Installed with pasifist and repaired disk pemisions.

GREAT. THANKS.

Now I can continue my experation of OS X. Anyone know any good guides, tips and essental software?

Thank you,

free30

ps I have found hackint0sh org agood source of information

Hi Grade

-Pentium 3.2 (sse3 patch)

-Foxconn 865A01 motherboard (No patch, won't restart.)

-512MB ddr pc3200

-Nvidia 5200, 128mb(No patch, exceleration??? not know)

-AC97 sound (No patch, works but not reconised)

-Sata Primary Drive 120mb

-ATA secondary drive 200mb (Was one old partition but OS did not

reconise it, repartitioned it under Windows XP to smaller partition, now reconised)

-ATA Jumbo CDR (burns just fine)

-OS x86 10.4.6, upgrade and sse3 patchs.

Standing on the shoulders of giants!

This is what I did:

Before running Software Update, backup your working Finder.

Open Terminal

sudo -s

type your password

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS

cp finder finder.backup

Run Software Update and install the security update.

Reboot

Boot: -s

Type:

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS

rm finder

cp finder.backup finder

rm finder.backup

reboot

hi

i would like to share my experience with you, which is as follow:

1) installed security patch according to (quixo) instructions. reboot

2) Applied QuickTime704.pkg.zip and did reboot. Tested sound card after login.

3) Applied QuickTime7.1 via Software Update service and rebooted. Tested sound after reboot and all fine.

Now I don't have any problem with sound AC97 and no more problem with Safari icon.

I am Using Toshiba M2 and JaS DVD.

Thanks for help

Hej, I read it through but in the end I could clarified if it is possible to fix anything in command line via single user mode... I did the update not expecting to run to any problems but suddenly all windows and dock disappeared and the system stoped... I had to manually restart and after that I'm getting segmentation errors when I try to boot in -x mode or normally. I can boot but only to a blackscreen with what seems to be the command bar. I have mouse pointer...

So, is it possible to fix anything in command line? I got the AMD package since I have a turion system

the AMD security update seems to have worked with my 10.4.6 myzar and Athlon x64 3000+ sse2 cpu.. but i don't see any difference at all not even in performance and such

well the point of the update was to fix 31 holes found in the os , it's just a security update

yeah... stupid me! I installed it automatically... now I can't get to desktop. Is there any way to do a rollback, or do I have to wipe and reinstall? I want to save user settings and documents if possible...

yeah... stupid me! I installed it automatically... now I can't get to desktop. Is there any way to do a rollback, or do I have to wipe and reinstall? I want to save user settings and documents if possible...

if you backed up the Finder.app in the coreservices before you updated it, then, boot as single user, cp back the Finder.app.bak to Finder.app

remove the Finder.app first, otherwise, the copyed finder.app.bak just get into it, not replace it

rm -R /system/library/coreservices/finder.app

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/finder.app.bak /system/library/coreservices/finder.app

I did the same thing....

in Jas instruction, simple cp wont replace newly installed finder.app

eh, I didn't back anything up...

what are the command lines for this anyways? I'm a DOShead, not a Mach-head

ahh, you need the original finder.app...it is a 6.6MB (6688613bytes) Mac OS X finder 10.4.3

I dont know if you can find it from the install DVD? or somewhere, I am a DOShead too:(

According to Jas:

!!!!!INTEL ONLY FOR NOW!!!!

prep work

open a terminal and type in

sudo -s

then your user pass

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/finder.app /system/library/coreservices/finder.app.bak

then

just let the updater finish the update, but dont hurry to reboot yet

still in your terminal

rm -R /system/library/coreservices/finder.app

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/finder.app.bak /system/library/coreservices/finder.app

then reboot should be ok ( I forgot to rm the finder.app, and the backup file went to finder.app/finder.app.bak)

or , if the machine already rebooted, then you need to boot as single user and do the fix there

Jas, could you please correct the instruction, people are following it.....thanks

i followed quixo's guide for the security update and it worled fine

now can i update iweb,iphot,quicktime ecc ecc through software update??

or something bad is gonna ahppen?

I used JaS method, and ran the replace.sh (decrypted files) for the security upddate 003.

Everything worky

I then ran the software update application and installed using the finder backup tip from JaS and replace.sh tip.

Everything is worky

Not sure if I really nee to do the finder backup for quicktime update...but best to be safe.

All is good.

All I need is AUDIO!! and WiFi!!!

HELP!!

:weight_lift::star_smile::star_smile:

My system works... with maxxuss decrypted files

thx jas for your tip!

Hi, Danica_Talos.

I have same problem as you have. How can I run replace.sh in single user mode?

Becasue i get the message like "Your Mac OS X......is not a 10.4.4......", i can not run the replace.sh.

many thanks for your help.

A general rule of thumb is: Software updates[iTunes, Quicktime, Safari] ARE safe to get, while System updates[finder, etc] are NOT. Hope that helps.

Not always true. In previous posts in this topics I described my problem (In the end I had to reinstall, btw) and someone hinted, that QuickTime was actually co-responsible for my system meltdown. QuickTime really goes deep into the system, it might brake your box as easy as a Security Update does....

Hi, Danica_Talos.

I have same problem as you have. How can I run replace.sh in single user mode?

Becasue i get the message like "Your Mac OS X......is not a 10.4.4......", i can not run the replace.sh.

many thanks for your help.

You need to edit the sh file and take out the function that checks which version you're running.

pico replace.sh

I jsut did this update, i shouldve came here andread this post first, my machine wont even boot into the OS now. i get to the log in, sign in, and it sits at a blank screen...anyone know how i can fix this? or do i need to do a reinstall completely?