Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

I just think it's silly to shut everything down. I would just be striving that much more to make my driver better than the next guy's, but I suppose that's just one man's opinion. I don't understand why a sharing of information is a bad thing in this community - take borisbadenov for example. I'm using the information he posted, and I'm more than happy with the results. He was happy to share what he found with anyone, and even took special care to address questions from individuals. I suppose I understand why omni is angry, as I'm sure I would be upset in the same situation, but walking away from it after all this just seems silly.

Kudos to Snollygoster. I agree 100% I could not have said it better. In talking to others out here, he is totally correct about Omni's ego, which, BTW, is only slightly smaller than a large gaseous planet like Jupiter. He is rude, condecending, arrogant and seems more to care about getting his ego stroked and wnting to be the saviour to the OSX86 community than anything else. MAybe Omni was not able to get any further and he IS the 15yo using this as his escape route, to save face, not to admit he could not get any further. Prove me wrong OMni, release the code, release the driver.

+1

If he releases the code, Apple could get and use it to prevent us in developing new drivers... THIS is the reason why source code hans't been released, prove me I'm wrong...

If he releases the code, Apple could get and use it to prevent us in developing new drivers... THIS is the reason why source code hans't been released, prove me I'm wrong...

Oh dear lord who other than less than average joe believes that? If Apple wants to lock they lock. Not just the driver. The whole OS X.

THIS is the reason why source code hans't been released, prove me I'm wrong...

Gladly. It's plain logics really. Apple has a LOT of programmers on the payrol. Surely reverse enginering takes time, but if they would really be into it they'd get it cracked in a few weeks. Especially since they know the operating systems working 10.000x better. Hackers are usually able to reverse-enginere the most sophisticated security meassures. Don't be naive to think that Apple couldn't do the same.

That aside, setting up an open source project with a nice CVS would at least secure the future of this project. Just look at what happened. Omni got pissed at a 15 year old boy. If THAT is enough reason for him to discontinue, who is too say what else he had stopped for.

I respect the man's effort, just not the way he has set up this project. Anyway, this discussion is pretty pointles.

He already made his case about not releaseing the sourcecode. So be it.

Sure P-J16 do something wrong by having all this drivers on his Blog, because the develop of the main driver could be delayed if the people use just the driver that works for their card and not the latest version so omni couldn't know why some versions works with some cards and why others don't. But from there to stop the hole project it's too much. Besides P-J16 says he's sorry and that he didn't want to harm all of us.

So please omni, keep the project available to all of us again ;)

Ego or not ego, omni was working in the right direction, and I hope he will resume the project, I believe that he has many many reasons not to release the source code... and, personally, he helped me in trying to solve a problem with my Mobility Radeon 9600 more than any other here in this forum, so I don't see his arrogance... if you find him arrogant, try to learn everything you need to code a driver for an operating system... just try it!!!

too sad to know this bad end story

omni actually did more than we thought of callisto driver.

within a month he has made 5 versions of it and many of us have already been enjoy his distribution.

hope he will come back soon

thx lots for his non-paid job

It seems that some people choose to recollect omni's attitude rather than his contribution to the comunity...

Well, maybe omni was right to think in that way about some of OSx86 members and the attitude of some people around does seems to confirm his opinion, which will enforce his attitude and so on...

Anyway, the reality is that THANKS TO p-J16 ^_^ now we don't have an ATI driver anymore...

Maybe those who are so willing to criticize omni could give p-J16 a hand of help for developement. He will surely need it...

this thread is certainly good at revealing fools and idiots.

a person has to have a broken mind to turn their frustration and anger at this situation at omni. think again!

This is how it always is when people cant do it for themselfs and depend on someone else to do it for them,they get mad at the person they depended on when they stop,it never matters why they stop.The reaction is always the same.

A child doesn't have to break a so important project. Return with us omni. We understand you, but you cannot throw in the towell, because that also is to be a boy!

It isn't right that by a person (one child, 15 years), everybody pays for that reason.

If you decide to leave the project, release the code, please!

Cheer up!

I don't really know wich one is the child between the twos

His capricious decision and the redirecting to nVidia's site clearly showed that he's taking people for fools.

This community should forget him and show he's not essential. So let's continue with maybe less brilliant but more pleasant people

That reaction whiped out any respect i had for omni. Closed source one man projects always end like this. If he doesn't want to continue this difficult time consuming development fair enough, he's not obliged to. But if he cared at all for all of his 'fans' he would release his source at this point. Running off with the code in a hissy fit is just lame and shows the contempt he has for everyone in this thread who has praised him for his efforts.

That reaction whiped out any respect i had for omni. Closed source one man projects always end like this. If he doesn't want to continue this difficult time consuming development fair enough, he's not obliged to. But if he cared at all for all of his 'fans' he would release his source at this point. Running off with the code in a hissy fit is just lame and shows the contempt he has for everyone in this thread who has praised him for his efforts.

Very well put. And as far as "not being able to code a driver myself..." I appreciate what omni was trying to do, but I've never touched omni's driver, and I still feel his reaction irrational.

I agree 100%. So why should I thank him or miss him. Think back to when this all started do we remember the one who started it "Maxxuss" where is he now, I dont know but the project is still alive. We dont need one man to write a driver for us I think there are enough people on this board to do it without out Omni, me I am going to start doing some research so I can get something done, and I will realease what I can do and ask people to help.

I really respected Omni for the work he has done. I personally cant imagine the time and energy he invested. I actually donated 30 dollars to his paypal acount, Do I get a refund? I donated for his hard work in the past and I assumed for the future. Spend my money wisely Omni.

E

I really respected Omni for the work he has done. I personally cant imagine the time and energy he invested. I actually donated 30 dollars to his paypal acount, Do I get a refund? I donated for his hard work in the past and I assumed for the future. Spend my money wisely Omni.

E

I agree in that I paid $20 to him, but I don't want a refund, I just would like him to continue development. He should just send it to a few of the most helpful users personally and only release a new version when those few people have success with it. I don't really think this driver ever should have been as widely available as it was, granted I got to play with it and have a somewhat working version on my Radeon 7500 in my laptop, but there were way too many people who just had to have it and complained about it not working.

If Omni is not totally done with this, he should be like Maxxuss and only realease an update when it completely works. If he needs testers, I think he has his choice of real contributors on this forum that he can work with explicitly. I know this means that we, myself included, won't have as many versions to test, but each build before and after 005 hasn't worked for me very well or at all and I would rather receive one version that works right away. I'm willing to wait for it and I hope others would be too. If it takes another $20 or so from some of us to get Omni to continue, I'd be willing to give it to him, but only on the expectation that something like this won't happen again. If you don't make the drivers available to idiots, then the idiots can't post them on their own site.

Anyway, the reality is that THANKS TO p-J16 :) now we don't have an ATI driver anymore...

I take it your an 'Ignorence is bless' kind of guy? And yes, that is a quote from the movie 'The Matrix'. Try looking at it from a more rational point of view by swapping this situation with a metafor. Lets say i'm fixing your car, and I demand absolute quitness. Than you go shout to me 'Hey, want a beer?' because I look thirsty.

Since I demanded quitness, i'll just leave your car as it is and go start a quirral involving some neighbourhood members. Do you think it was right to respond that way? Hence the obvious; it was not the boy's intensions that killed the project, but the way omni chose to respond to such matter.

i wasn't going to post again, i really tried not to. but...

has everyone forgotten that the "contract" between omni and the community was very clearly spelled out?

omni has done no more, or no less than he clearly stated he would do. he has not broken faith or promises.

i simply don't understand what use all this speculation and slanderous hate mongering serves, but to call into question the intelligence of the posters.

to prevent anyone else from revealing themselves as incredibly stupid, selfish or uninformed, this thread should be closed. i mean really, it's a shame to the forum.

have just signed in after a long time (not since Callisto 002).

So ther eis no way of getting the Callisto driver anywhere? If anybody has it, PLEASE send it to me (aney@mac.com), please please please pleae.

On the other hand, I think it is Omni's choice to do whaterver he wants to, although also I think that he should not punish other useres in the community because of one black sheep.

Anyway, driver anyone????

LOL, this reminds me of playing the cat & mouse game after a concert.

I am sure this band ain't coming back until next year, so I will head off to the coats check! thanks for the show omni, you're a star of the osx86 community; but don't leave the stage cause some idiot threw a lighter at you, the rest of us are still clappin'.

cheers!

:poster_oops:

osxG

omni's site is up again but this is his last post;

"I am discontinuing work on Callisto and will focus on other things (maybe even related to OS X x86). This site will stay on-line to serve some future projects and be an archive of Callisto.

For the sake of those innocent by-standers who were following the events and gasping for air because they could not find Callisto anymore, for you I will post my best builds.

For the jackasses who had nothing nice to say on the OSX86P forum - perhaps you should've just kept quiet because now everyone knows what kind of persons you really are, for you I only have my pitty.

For everyone else, I thank you for your support, and special thanks to those few who were helping me test the builds past months, you know who you are."