Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

Good on you Omni - you have totally done the right thing. This was your project - if people don't want to abide your rules then stuff em'

Great work on the driver - now enjoy the time away from these whingers, complainers and b*llsh*ters!

I repect omni decision but i have ati x1400, now im depress .... :D:help:

P-J16 should be banned from this site! I remember reading his instructions and saying "hey not a hard thing to do" But there is always a moron.

Omni, my respect goes to you. All I can say is thank you it has been great!!! My card is working almost perfectly and with minimum tearing. Your work is greatly appreciated.

I understand how Omni feels.

this is just a kid tho and maybe when he sees what he has done he will try to talk to omni and make it right some how

here is his profile

Paul

Astrological Sign: Virgo

Zodiac Year: Horse

just in case anyone missed it... maybe Apple feels the same way as Omni... you know, people hacking and stealing their software... redistributing it, raining on their parade.

From a moral point of view, I must say that this dude really shouldnt have done that, since the author of the driver specifically asked that people not do so.

From a non-moral consumerist point of view, I must say that if I had a card that Omni's driver supported, I'd really like him to continue to work on it, because frankly, I've looked at the IOkit, and it's greek to me.

you know, not to play devils advicate but the first thing i thought of when omni listed on his page that he would cease development if someone else hosted his driver was that if I was apple computer inc. this would be the *first* thing I'd do to get a rise and make a driver that's only purpose is to help install illegal pirated versions of os x onto PeeCees, cease development. just my two cents. I agree the poster should remove them so maybe omni will continue work for the community.

This is sad, just when it was all finally working. I am always in awe of programmers who are able to write code for hardware devices. It seems so complicated to me and the results just show in seconds when they work or crash.

It took me about 2 minutes to follow Omni's instructions, install build 7, update the kexts, reinstall the x300 card on my new(old) Sony Vaio and voila! I have full 1680 x 1050 on my Dell 2005FPW with full resolution switching. It's not CI or QE supported, but I am not sure why that is, maybe it's the card.

Anyway, I am going to try the DVI port now. My goak is a dual bootable MacOS and Vista with glass system.

So many thanks to Omni for working in the deep dark secrets of the ATI driver and making this work with JAS 10.4.6.

Thank you.

Omni, your work is greatly appreciated despite what someone else did. In fact, this is the first "driver" I have found that works easily at the hardware level for this system. Everything else is tricky at best.

This is a childish reaction. We all appreciate the work omni has done, I am sure. But in my opinion, this is just too extreme a reaction to have in response to a 15 year old kid putting your driver on his site. It sounds like an excuse to quit... a bad one. I am not intending to offend anyone with this post. It just strikes me as odd.

These drivers are something that is valued by many. One person's actions do not change that. We all know who to thank for all of tthe great things we can now do with OS X on our ATI cards. So thank you omni if this really is the end. I hope not.

omni has said many times in the past that he did not want people hosting the files - and if they did he would cease development. this guy did it and so omni is responding how he said he would - I don't consider that an 'extreme' reaction - rather it is the expected reaction.

I say good on omni - he has stuck to his guns and is now free to move onto other projects.

I understand how Omni feels about this kid doing this, its not easy to develop a device driver and then try to make it better when people are telling you that they are having problems getting build 2 to work when you have build 7 out. Makes it hard to develop and get proper feedback. But I think he is going alittle bit too overboard. I think he should continue to develop the driver but only release it when kid takes down the site and keeps it down for atleast 2 weeks. I don't think this is the end of the Callisto drivers, but if anyone remembers, Omni did say that he was having problems with build 008. We will see, but if Omni is reading this, I can't thank you enough for your work, I understand how you feel, and I hope you continue your development

p.s. I hate kids.... no morals...

eh guys!

ive seen the post of omni on his blog, too bad for all R5XX users specially for guys using notebook, i can easily understand how wide mode is vital.

Anyway u must all admit omni has done a great job and cant go deeper and deeper into the code without any documentation...

For u guys using a desktop computer I will suggest u to buy a X1600 AGP/PCI-E like JAS, OMNI and I, did.

It works fine and will enable all the features u want and let OMNI try OPENGL games :dev:

OMNI take care, but please come back on OSX86Project

I dont mind getting all the flaming but I must and have to say this.

I really appreciate Omni's very hard work but I appreciate the work only. I never liked Omni's attitude from the very first time. He has been sarcastic with people who know less (remember his installation guide on his page - comments like "if you dont know how to do this then you dont deserve using osx86 blah blah), he is not modest, he always whines about how time-consuming this is and how he really doesnt care about the driver as he loves nVidia and not ATI. He never released the code which is egoistical and the project never really helped anyone since it was depending on one person alone. Now we re all f*cked. See? This is why open source is good. We all stay with some 20% working alphas. He wants publicity as it seems, he wants his ego to grow (as we all do in a way) but he is doing this in a very obvious way and in some cases he insults other people for not having his technical knowledge. Why the f*** bother for a 15 year old kid posting some old releases done so obviously to help? Why act like a 12 year old kid and terminate the project and blame someone else for it? Admit that you were bored and needed more publicity and people sucking up to you.

You know what I think Omni? You never cared for the osx86 users, you never cared for the damn driver, all you cared about is publicity and an ego enlargement. Thats why you were whining, bragging and insulting people all the time looking for an excuse or someone to blame when you got bored.

People will hate me for that post, they have a 50-pages long thread and several others mostly sucking up to Omni just to get a graphics driver working. I would suck up too if we was a caring for the comunity person with an attitude to help and not to show off.

F*ck the driver and the project as it was dead since it was born. Closed source based on one person who never cared.

Now come on delete this in case Omni notices and he wont love you anymore.

I dont mind getting all the flaming but I must and have to say this.

I really appreciate Omni's very hard work but I appreciate the work only. I never liked Omni's attitude from the very first time. He has been sarcastic with people who know less (remember his installation guide on his page - comments like "if you dont know how to do this then you dont deserve using osx86 blah blah), he is not modest, he always whines about how time-consuming this is and how he really doesnt care about the driver as he loves nVidia and not ATI. He never released the code which is egoistical and the project never really helped anyone since it was depending on one person alone. Now we re all f*cked. See? This is why open source is good. We all stay with some 20% working alphas. He wants publicity as it seems, he wants his ego to grow (as we all do in a way) but he is doing this in a very obvious way and in some cases he insults other people for not having his technical knowledge. Why the f*** bother for a 15 year old kid posting some old releases done so obviously to help? Why act like a 12 year old kid and terminate the project and blame someone else for it? Admit that you were bored and needed more publicity and people sucking up to you.

You know what I think Omni? You never cared for the osx86 users, you never cared for the damn driver, all you cared about is publicity and an ego enlargement. Thats why you were whining, bragging and insulting people all the time looking for an excuse or someone to blame when you got bored.

People will hate me for that post, they have a 50-pages long thread and several others mostly sucking up to Omni just to get a graphics driver working. I would suck up too if we was a caring for the comunity person with an attitude to help and not to show off.

F*ck the driver and the project as it was dead since it was born. Closed source based on one person who never cared.

Now come on delete this in case Omni notices and he wont love you anymore.

It seems u think its very easy to write a driver :) then write your own and let your ego go high. If you cant write your own just be quiet or go to your opensource and leave osx...

Omni was kind enough to share his part with you all...what do u want more??

It seems u think its very easy to write a driver :) then write your own and let your ego go high. If you cant write your own just be quiet or go to your opensource and leave osx...

Omni was kind enough to share his part with you all...what do u want more??

I dont assume anything. I already clearly stated that I appreciate the work very very much. More than you could possibly imagine as I am a developer myself and I looked into IOKIT and with the free time I have I could not in any way make any progress in writing an OSX driver. Omni could do it so yes bravo.

What I want more? I dont want anything more I want less. Less attitude. This is indeed a very special case of development and a computer driver but we are still all PEOPLE that belong in a community and we SHOULD behave this way.

snollygoster: your posts, like everyone else's, will NOT be deleted. everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Also, p-J16 will not be banned from this forum, as he has not violated any of our rules.

Kudos to Snollygoster. I agree 100% I could not have said it better. In talking to others out here, he is totally correct about Omni's ego, which, BTW, is only slightly smaller than a large gaseous planet like Jupiter. He is rude, condecending, arrogant and seems more to care about getting his ego stroked and wnting to be the saviour to the OSX86 community than anything else. MAybe Omni was not able to get any further and he IS the 15yo using this as his escape route, to save face, not to admit he could not get any further. Prove me wrong OMni, release the code, release the driver.

I think that is normal that omni is gotten upset, but if by a boy he is able to leave all, he is younger.

I think that as is intelligent, he will recall to mind and will be back again, but should be to think in open source, and all will be well and fast.

Greetings.