[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Glad to see you back!

Now if only we could get a definitive fix for the dual core's lol

10.5.3 reacts differently during boot process (wiht both cores), but still no complete boot: it hang on blue screen or after dock apparition.

But it's better...: )

Just a quick note to let you all know that, almost a year later, I have done a bit more work on AppleHDA for 9400/6400. Things stalled because of work/life/etc. and the fact that I had hard drive issues and no time to reinstall everything, recover data, etc. Anyway, I've spent the better part of the past day working on this thing, so hopefully that means some progress is imminent!

-----

Hope you're all doing well.

-T.

fantastic! great to see you back and looking forward to your progress. hope you can find a fix for speaker muting when headphones are plugged in.

thank you

I'm having problems with my Graphics card. I have the ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 and I've done as it says in the post. Resolution is set but QE/CI is still not supported and it shows as no kext loaded:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7145

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

someone Help. This is really Pi**ing me off

Update for Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 users with GMA950. I got it to work without mouse tearing or artifacts for the first time on my notebook. Note that this is likely very system specific. I apologize if this has been posted before.

See my sig for details on my system. I had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed when I started with 10.5.3 upgrade. As commonly observed, I still had mouse artifacts on memory hungry programs such as MS Word, Adobe PS...

Sleep never worked. Only lid closing would work, but it wouldn't really sleep (power light would still be steady instead of blinking). I did have screen saver on enable when mouse moved to top right corner. This was done because the notebook would wake up from lid close sleep with black screen and I could invoke screen saver and got my desktop back that way.

This may be a combination of things or plain due to an upgrade to either one of the two things below. I don't know the details yet. The only thing I know is that it works.

I first upgraded with Jas 10.5.3 combo update. After the system booted I was welcomed with a blue screen and nothing happened. Only after about 5-10min. (got this by chance), the desktop would slowly build up and be fine after that. Everything else was the same as before, mouse tearing, no sleep...

I did not apply smbfix (maybe should have to fix long boot time, not sure).

Instead I downloaded Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and installed right over it. I then used modbin's kernel to replace current.

System rebooted fine and right into the desktop. It returned to a black screen. I moved my mouse into the top right corner and voila the desktop came back (screen saver invoked). I then noticed that there was no mouse tearing or artifacts, everything was perfect. I uninstalled mousepose and still no mouse tearing or artifacts.

so, for some reason the 10.5.3 upgrade corrected this issue. I have no idea at this point why this, but I am happy.

All I had to do next was to fix sound for sigmatel and everything is working except sleep and only 1 CPU.

I would be happy to hear experience by others who have E1505/6400 with gma 950 who installed either of the combo updates. I will dig in deaper to find what caused the fix. I'd be great to hear from the more experienced folks here where exactly to look for. Maybe it's possible to make a simple package to fix gma950 on dells now?

thanks

edit 1: sorry, my bad. when I wrote screensaver I really meant sleep/wake function. You need to enable sleep/wake on mouse to active corner of screen. When you get the black screen after boot, move mouse into active corner and the main laptop monitor will wake up. without artifacts!

Just popping by to let you guys know that I am finally parting with my Inspiron 9400/E1705.

The story is: I moaned at the Dell tech guys about a particular build-defect that I discovered and they offered me a full £821 refund, no questions asked, which is quite surprising considering how old the lappy is.

I'll be buying a brand-new Dell XPS M1530 with a T9300 Penryn processor next week with the refund dosh; pretty good turn-out eh? :P

Just popping by to let you guys know that I am finally parting with my Inspiron 9400/E1705.

The story is: I moaned at the Dell tech guys about a particular build-defect that I discovered and they offered me a full £821 refund, no questions asked, which is quite surprising considering how old the lappy is.

I'll be buying a brand-new Dell XPS M1530 with a T9300 Penryn processor next week with the refund dosh; pretty good turn-out eh? :blink:

Good choice. I have been using my M1530 about a month, and its great. :P

Its much faster than my old E1705, and got it very cheap ($925+tax).

I'll be buying a brand-new Dell XPS M1530 with a T9300 Penryn processor next week with the refund dosh; pretty good turn-out eh? :)

YAY ;) Welcome to the XPShood :P

I'll be buying a brand-new Dell XPS M1530 with a T9300 Penryn processor next week with the refund dosh; pretty good turn-out eh? :)

Wow nice one. Wonder if the 6400 has a build-defect too :P

Maybe I can upgrade to the XPS. ;)

I imagine that the end of support of this very usefull guide? :(

Wow nice one. Wonder if the 6400 has a build-defect too

Maybe I can upgrade to the XPS.

Don't be envious, cause they don't have shutdown-reboot (and a very weird sound kext) under OSX.Our "old" dells work better! :)

:P

Cheers guys and gals, don't worry, it doesn't mean the end for this guide. I do hope people carry on contributing their i9400/6400 experiences with future osx86 releases, and obviously I'll update this thread to be more applicable to Dell's newer range of laptops.

I haven't done much researching with the M1530 model yet... are the shutdown issues with a Vanilla setup? do the problems go away with a different kernel or ACPI kext?

Chrysaor: great price! I picked mine up from eComputers LTD on eBay for £849 with free postage ;)

Cheers guys and gals, don't worry, it doesn't mean the end for this guide. I do hope people carry on contributing their i9400/6400 experiences with future osx86 releases, and obviously I'll update this thread to be more applicable to Dell's newer range of laptops.

I haven't done much researching with the M1530 model yet... are the shutdown issues with a Vanilla setup? do the problems go away with a different kernel or ACPI kext?

Chrysaor: great price! I picked mine up from eComputers LTD on eBay for £849 with free postage ;)

Shutdown/restart issue comes from NVIDIA kexts, I was worried about it before I bought M1530, but its not that big problem. You need to press the power button for about 2 secs to shut it down.

Specs on that looks great, congrats! ;)

You don't need to research a lot, almost everything works on the new XPSs, excep for the Integated ethernet and the multiCard Reader (of course WiFi doesn't with the Intels, but you already know that).

Shutdown/restart issue comes from NVIDIA kexts, I was worried about it before I bought M1530, but its not that big problem. You need to press the power button for about 2 secs to shut it down.

Specs on that looks great, congrats! :)

Chrysaor & macgirl: Thanks, I'm a bit out of touch having not been around the scene for a while now :(

casperionx: I'll only respond to that through PM as I don't want to start a riot against their EOL product + it may not be applicable to every E1705 motherboard.

Some news about Dual Core. One week ago, i was making some tests, and i've installed a fresh kalyway 10.5.2 (no patches selected, just vaniila kernel) on my external drive.

When i booted from this drive, i've noticed that it boot with booth cores whitout problems; just graphics shuttering as usual, but fixed after sleep.

So, what i did:

- make a time machine backup of my internal system;

- Make a clone of external HD installation on my internal HD with carbon copy cloner;

- reinstall Efi bootloader.

At this point, OSX boot with both cores and works well after sleep trick.

After, I've just imported, through assistant migration (very efficient!), my time machine backup, updated in 10.5.3 with netkas method and use my package to get some things working.

Computer is still able to boot with both cores (and usable after sleep).

Stability is Ok (after on week of use), all applications and preferences was correctly imported.

I don't know but, reproduce all of these steps appears not necessary; maybe a fresh installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 (with vanilla kernel) is enought.

bothcoresvy6.th.png

Some news about Dual Core. One week ago, i was making some tests, and i've installed a fresh kalyway 10.5.2 (no patches selected, just vaniila kernel) on my external drive.

When i booted from this drive, i've noticed that it boot with booth cores whitout problems; just graphics shuttering as usual, but fixed after sleep.

So, what i did:

- make a time machine backup of my internal system;

- Make a clone of external HD installation on my internal HD with carbon copy cloner;

- reinstall Efi bootloader.

At this point, OSX boot with both cores and works well after sleep trick.

After, I've just imported, through assistant migration (very efficient!), my time machine backup, updated in 10.5.3 with netkas method and use my package to get some things working.

Computer is still able to boot with both cores (and usable after sleep).

Stability is Ok (after on week of use), all applications and preferences was correctly imported.

I don't know but, reproduce all of these steps appears not necessary; maybe a fresh installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 (with vanilla kernel) is enought.

bothcoresvy6.th.png

sounds exciting. I have tried many times to run with 2 cores, however was never able to boot all the way through to the desktop, both in 10.5.2 and 10.5.3. Not sure if I follow what exactly you did to get it to work. I know that a fresh installation of kalyway 10.5.2 did not give me both cores on my E1505 though.

still, sounds very promising.

thanks

About Kalyway' DVD, i've deselected all patches and only use stock kernel, maybe it's a important point.

holy {censored}! I've got both cores now on my core2duo 2Ghz. No mouse artifacts. This is the first time since a long time ago on tiger that I get both cores. I get them to boot with 2 cores every time, no problem. However :P I get the known graphical stuttering, e.g. the dock and window animations are very jerky (different from mouse artifacts). Was there ever a solution for this? I can't remember.

anyway. I got it to work with 2 cores and no mouse artifacts for the first time. Thanks for the hint sonotone! So close, I already gave up on 2 cores. Still, not 100% yet. Any more ideas?

thanks!

holy {censored}! I've got both cores now on my core2duo 2Ghz. No mouse artifacts. This is the first time since a long time ago on tiger that I get both cores. I get them to boot with 2 cores every time, no problem. However :dev: I get the known graphical stuttering, e.g. the dock and window animations are very jerky (different from mouse artifacts). Was there ever a solution for this? I can't remember.

anyway. I got it to work with 2 cores and no mouse artifacts for the first time. Thanks for the hint sonotone! So close, I already gave up on 2 cores. Still, not 100% yet. Any more ideas?

thanks!

Solution is sleep, but i've seen in your signature that you can't get it. Did you have sleep ability before?

I think that window stuttering is because of the dual cores.

yes, casperionx, I know from tiger installations. I had it never work on leopard though and I have not seen anybody else with gma950 get it either. My BIOS is too old to get it all together I'm afraid.

Like everyone else with GMA950 graphics I can't "deep sleep" and wake up ... But I can now close the lid and recover. About 10% of the time the system comes back after lid closure (not a deep sleep - mostly a display sleep), but most often it doesn't. However by logging in remotely via a remote VNC client, I can re-activate the display by doing a res change (I've tried the screen saver trick but that doesn't work for me).

At least, I can now close the lid (which is a welcome convenience after 2 years of not being able to do this), shut off the display and recover (without a reboot). Not the best solution but it might help some people out there ...

Cheers ...