ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

I would just like to thank VCH888 & chime in that I finally got audio working again thanks to this thread.

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with some old F7 or so BIOS, an up-to-date chameleon (svn 1880 from Mar 2012) & a properly edited DSDT.aml booted from an EFI partition.

I downloaded ALC885_889a_LION.zip from the first page & mostly followed the directions. I copied the xml files as directed, but put the kernel extension onto my EFI partition under /Extra/Extensions.

Under 10.6.6 I had audio but no sleep. Now under 10.6.8 v1.1 I have both audio + sleep.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really need some help here... I have been having sound issues for a while, and I cannot seem to find the problem. I either have no audio or choppy and jittery audio.

Motherboard:

GA-EX58-UD5

ALC889A

I'm looking for a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup with little kext modification. I have my unmodified DSDT and many other DSDT's that I have been trying to play around with and no luck has been found.

If anyone can take a quick look at my files and tell me what the problem may be?

Thanks so much!

-Wolfie

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21172649/ModifiedDSDTSSDT.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21172649/unmodified_gaex58ud5_f12.dsl.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21172649/AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 2 months later...

I really need some help here... I have been having sound issues for a while, and I cannot seem to find the problem. I either have no audio or choppy and jittery audio.

Motherboard:

GA-EX58-UD5

ALC889A

I'm looking for a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup with little kext modification. I have my unmodified DSDT and many other DSDT's that I have been trying to play around with and no luck has been found.

If anyone can take a quick look at my files and tell me what the problem may be?

Thanks so much!

-Wolfie

http://dl.dropbox.co...iedDSDTSSDT.zip

http://dl.dropbox.co...ud5_f12.dsl.zip

http://dl.dropbox.co...pleHDA.kext.zip

If all you need is a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup, i think use layout id 66 in dsdt would fit, cause there is no kext mod need in this case.

You will get a working line-out jack(back panel green jack) and a working headphone jack(front panel headphone jack).

what kext and dsdt edits should i use to get this card working with 5.1 surround sound?

thanks

in ML 10.8 GM i mean

Which ALC do you have?

I assume that you have ALC889a/885.

- using ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip

- install ALC885HDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

- copy *.xlm.zlib to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

- edit your dsdt to match your desired layout, see Table.pdf

- rebuild kernel cache and restart

about 5.1? You need to create aggregate device.

Morning VCH888, I have been using your method on Lion since release with great success on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (ALC889a).

I am trying to gather all the files and methods I will need for Mountain Lion, could you please advise which to choose from on the updated first post (Is it this one maybe... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=110316)?

• 2 weeks later...

@ibr4him

edit your dsdt in Device (HDEF) section if you don't use HDAEnabler or efi-string in device properties

example : want to use layout12.xml (layout12.xml.zlib)

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x04)
					{
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00	  <<<  HEX of 12
						},

"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

• Like 1

Morning VCH888, can I please confirm I did everything ok and optimally on my fresh Mountain Lion installation (ALC885/889a)?

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/Platforms.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/ALC885HDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Using your "old" method on Lion I didn't have to edit my DSDT HDEF section for audio to work nicely, with my fresh Mountain Lion install I had to change the HDEF section to match Layout ID 12 as you posted above (the new HDEF section is much smaller with less info, is that ok?).

Old HDEF Section...

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  // _ADR: Address
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in",
						Buffer (One)
						{
							 0x01
						},
						"codec-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						},
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"device-type",
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */   0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02,
							/* 0008 */   0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02,
							/* 0010 */   0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01,
							/* 0018 */   0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01,
							/* 0020 */   0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

New HDEF Section...

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}
			{
				Store (Package (0x04)
					{
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

I then ran the following and also Kext Utility for good measure...

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Following a reboot audio is working and the outputs are shown in the two attached files.

post-499606-0-61267800-1343457885_thumb.png

post-499606-0-32661500-1343457898_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I assume that you have ALC889a/885.

- using ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip

- install ALC885HDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

- copy *.xlm.zlib to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

- edit your dsdt to match your desired layout, see Table.pdf

- rebuild kernel cache and restart

Please tell me a bit more exact - its ab bit confusing which files i must copy in the HDA Ressources.

I have 889A and will use ID12 in my dsdt.

Must i copy only the layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib (both not exist in my vanilla HDA) or also copy +overwrite Platforms.xml (exist)

THANKS

Please tell me a bit more exact - its ab bit confusing which files i must copy in the HDA Ressources.

I have 889A and will use ID12 in my dsdt.

Must i copy only the layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib (both not exist in my vanilla HDA) or also copy +overwrite Platforms.xml (exist)

THANKS

Which version of AppleHDA are you using?

If you are using from 10.8, you must use layout.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib.

I think you are using old AppleHDA, not from 10.8.

Guys thank you for your first-post shares and instructions, ALC889 worked OK with 10.8.2 on my Gigabyte H61N-USB3. Just bin-patched the main AppleHDA binary, added ALC889.kext and layout12 and Platforms zlib's. Made sure on my DSDT it's layout 12 hex.

However, the volume is quite low--can anyone help me edit the xml's in order to boost the volume, please? At maximum level, on my headphones, it sounds just about right. If e.g. using iTunes internet radio stations, some of them broadcast with lower volume and it's not possible to boost the volume.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Morning VCH888, can I please confirm I did everything ok and optimally on my fresh Mountain Lion installation (ALC885/889a)?

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/Platforms.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/ALC885HDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Using your "old" method on Lion I didn't have to edit my DSDT HDEF section for audio to work nicely, with my fresh Mountain Lion install I had to change the HDEF section to match Layout ID 12 as you posted above (the new HDEF section is much smaller with less info, is that ok?).

Old HDEF Section...

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000) // _ADR: Address
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized) // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in",
						Buffer (One)
						{
							 0x01
						},
						"codec-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						},
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"device-type",
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02,
							/* 0008 */ 0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02,
							/* 0010 */ 0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01,
							/* 0018 */ 0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01,
							/* 0020 */ 0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

New HDEF Section...

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}
			{
				Store (Package (0x04)
					{
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

I then ran the following and also Kext Utility for good measure...

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Following a reboot audio is working and the outputs are shown in the two attached files.

it worked on EP45-DS4. thank you all, who use their knowledges and share.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have an ALC662. I am running 10.8.3 Mountian lion and I can to understand the process to get it working. I do not have a DSDT so I can't use that. Can anyone tell me how to set it up step by step?

Also I have an HP P6710T (Foxconn Motherboard)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks VCH888 for your solution.

Your way is the only way which is working with the mountain lion kext on my alc889a without sound assertions.

Before i had to use the lion kext to get no sound assertions!!!!

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

I tried many things but I haven't got any sound output on my system.

In system Built-in Audio section I see only "No Built-in Audio". In System preferences Audio section "no any sound output"

I added HDEF to my DSDT.aml, compiled but still any success. Sound controll ikon is still passive.

When I install VooDooHDA I can get sound but sound quality is not good and making sometimes stuttering.

My Sound Codec is ALC889, When I put AppleHDAEnabler.kext to SLE, during boot I see audio, and when I check system information section I see Intel Audio 12 but still I can't select any sound output.

What would you like to suggest me? I remember only when I first time install I could get sound via only headphones but I'm not sure it was working through VoodooHDA or AppleHDA.

Hello,

I tried many things but I haven't got any sound output on my system.

In system Built-in Audio section I see only "No Built-in Audio". In System preferences Audio section "no any sound output"

I added HDEF to my DSDT.aml, compiled but still any success. Sound controll ikon is still passive.

When I install VooDooHDA I can get sound but sound quality is not good and making sometimes stuttering.

My Sound Codec is ALC889, When I put AppleHDAEnabler.kext to SLE, during boot I see audio, and when I check system information section I see Intel Audio 12 but still I can't select any sound output.

What would you like to suggest me? I remember only when I first time install I could get sound via only headphones but I'm not sure it was working through VoodooHDA or AppleHDA.

Did you speak about your AMD system?

Because it never worked on AMD and i´m pretty sure that it will never work.

Did you speak about your AMD system?

Because it never worked on AMD and i´m pretty sure that it will never work.

Interesting,

DSDT Injection method works on AMD Systems especially for Graphic Cards. Why Sound Injection doesn't work?

Interesting,

DSDT Injection method works on AMD Systems especially for Graphic Cards. Why Sound Injection doesn't work?

The problem is not the dsdt injection it have something to do with the kext, already tried it on a few amd systems and its not working.

The only thing which i didn´t try is to patch it completly new for the amd system. (I know it´s a little bit of work and i´m pretty sure that it is not working)

• Like 1

The problem is not the dsdt injection it have something to do with the kext, already tried it on a few amd systems and its not working.

The only thing which i didn´t try is to patch it completly new for the amd system. (I know it´s a little bit of work and i´m pretty sure that it is not working)

till install voodooHDA I could get sound via AppleHDA, I'm not 100% Sure but 90% :) Because I remember only that I didn't like the sound quality of VoodooHDA deleted it according to uninstall Information of VoodooHDA and my friend was using my pc only from headphone. (I tried VoodooHDA only for this reason, I couldn't get sound from Coax or SPDIF therefore I have been installed VoodooHDA

If I find some time and empty HDD I will install Lion from scratch. After that I think I should configure only sound ports to get sound from rear SPDIF

If i would be you i will use again voodoohda, there are more versions of it and i´m sure there is one which you can get working.

If you understand some things about sound settings you can configure it by yourself.

• Like 1

If i would be you i will use again voodoohda, there are more versions of it and i´m sure there is one which you can get working.

If you understand some things about sound settings you can configure it by yourself.

I installed again VoodooHDA, single problem left: When I start a sound first 1-2 seconds stuttering after that works great. I'm suspicious that caused because z5500 going sleep immediatly when no sound data come. Therefore I'm looking for a small utility called SoundStay, but I couldn'T find this small tool internet. Almost every download link goes to Dropbox and unfortunately this link has been broken.

If you help me, appreciated that to much.

Thanks