ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

@ tora

Please read this thread for editing sense id of HDMI to match your graphic card.

I think you DSDT is OK after I looked at your IOReg. Sorry, I could not help you as much as I can since I don't have HD 4xxx graphic card.

Thanks tmongkol.

I go to that site.

No problem :). Thank you!

Maybe a little fault in my DSDT edit? I didn't know what to do with PEG0 (PEGP, but for Sandy Bridge Gigabyte mobo).. I have renamed it to PEGP, maybe that isn't good?

I'm now trying it with the AppleHDA kext from 10.6.3, that is the best for HDMI audio say some people. I will post my reports :D.

Edit:

With AppleHDA_v1.7.9 it doesn't work. It doesn't show up in Systemprofiler and I haven't any audio device in Systempreferences. My ALC889 ports are away to, but thats because I don't use an LegacyHDA / other kext. Only DSDT and patched AppleHDA normally.

Maybe my HDMI device id is other then the HDMI device id in the AppleHDA? Can I see it in OS X?

@ iMickk

I tested my GT220 on EP45-UD3R (ALC885/889a) and Z68XP-UD3R (ALC889) and got HDMI audio. Basically, your GT220 should get HDMI audio. Did you test HDMI audio on Windows 7?

For SNB, you need AppleHDA.kext v1.9.9f12 as minimum version because it has device-id audio controller in AppleHDAController.kext.

P.S. I don't have connector-type in DSDT but I added connector-type code in source code of Chameleon boot. The connector-type code was provided by a guy (I forgot the name) from projectosx. I think connector-type can be injected via either DSDT or boot.

Ok so how do you explain that now it works and before it wasn't ? I haven't changed the layout-id ...

@ smartmobili

I would think that audio kext(s) might not be loaded properly.

my experience with Lion;

I tested AppleHDA.kext by reinstalling it again and rebooted the OS, and my audio was gone. I had to restarted the OS again and then I got my sound back.

@ iMickk

I tested my GT220 on EP45-UD3R (ALC885/889a) and Z68XP-UD3R (ALC889) and got HDMI audio. Basically, your GT220 should get HDMI audio. Did you test HDMI audio on Windows 7?

For SNB, you need AppleHDA.kext v1.9.9f12 as minimum version because it has device-id audio controller in AppleHDAController.kext.

P.S. I don't have connector-type in DSDT but I added connector-type code in source code of Chameleon boot. The connector-type code was provided by a guy (I forgot the name) from projectosx. I think connector-type can be injected via either DSDT or boot.

Thanks, I shall try it!

Do you use Lion or Snow Leopard? And could you upload your AppleHDA from the ALC889 PC? Then I use that kext to for my GT220 + ALC 889 + HDMI audio :).

I haven't tried HDMI audio in Windows, I shall try it tomorrow. And I will check my HDMI device id to :D.

P.S. What means SNB? Secure Audio or something?

Edit:

Screenshot of hardware info in OS X.

Schermafbeelding%202011-08-01%20om%2017.51.06.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5688451/Schermafbe...%2017.51.06.png

Hey there,

I see HDAU and GFX0 with the hda-gfx onboard in Lion!

Still I have no HDMI Audio in Sound Preferences... I recently upgraded to Lion and that broke HDMI Audio for me.

I even had it working in 10.6.8 but now with the same DSDT I dont get audio anymore. I suspect my AppleHDA to be the problem. But with the one from 10.6.7 which worked in 10.6.8 it doesnt work in Lion.

Right now I'm using an AppleHDA that Mald0n posted. I see all the internal sound devices. I'm runnign out of ideas what to try to make it work... Do you have any idea?

@ smartmobili

I would think that audio kext(s) might not be loaded properly.

my experience with Lion;

I tested AppleHDA.kext by reinstalling it again and rebooted the OS, and my audio was gone. I had to restarted the OS again and then I got my sound back.

So finally you are right sound is not working anymore today. I don't understand !!!

So except reinstalling what can I do ?

UPDATE : I put 0x75, 0x03 for layout-id and now it works again ... Hope it will be good at next reboot.

UPDATE2 : next reboot no sound

UPDATE3 : I think it depends on how I shutdown the computer, if I choose Reboot it's ok but if I choose shutdown I think there is a power management issue. Maybe due to my gtx 460, I will try with an old card.

Well, the first post did allow me to upgrade my Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard to Lion. But all I get is stereo out of the green channel on the back of the board. I even did a Linux Codec Dump to make sure I really had an ALC889a system. Wished that old autopatcher utility that taruga had was updated for Lion, that might give me full sound from the back and front ports.

UPDATE (08/06/2011) : I found a version of the AppleHDA.kext which gives me full sound back WITH front headphones working. (I'm on a Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R board) Its not the perfect solution (I'd prefer vanilla with a patched kext in extra) but it works. First grab the AppleHDA file over here and install it in S/L/E and dig up the last version of LegacyHDA.kext that works for you and install it in E/E. Run Kext Wizard or Kext Utility so that it can fix things and reboot. I have not tried it but I do believe that you might even get 5.1 sound. Cheers!

Hello, AFAIR i have this ALC889a codec, today i updated to 10.6.8 and audio not working anymore.

Tried many couple of kexts and still not working at all... Motherboard is EP45-DS3R, please help ;)

Just after i typed that message, launched iMovie for a test and sound (&icon) came... WTF?! So weird...

I installed so many kext that i don't even know now which i should keep for the next install i'll up to 10.6.8 ;)

Also just checked if all was working and NO! Mic don't work, speakers working... Help for microphone please :rolleyes:

@ iMickk

SNB = Sandy Bridge.

I can't get it working, not on Snow Leopard, not on Lion.

Do you have suggestions? Maybe my device id (GT220) doesn't exist in the AppleHDA? Is it possible to see my HDMI device id in OS X? Or do I need to install Windows ;x.

I can't get it working, not on Snow Leopard, not on Lion.

Do you have suggestions? Maybe my device id (GT220) doesn't exist in the AppleHDA? Is it possible to see my HDMI device id in OS X? Or do I need to install Windows ;x.

I think you should test your HDMI audio on Linux (newly) or windows 7.

Hi

I have a gigabyte board that has alc889a. I want to update to Lion. I see the post for enabling audio for alc889a, and did the download, but I am no good using the terminal.

Can I use kext wizard to install the kext. Copy and paste the 2 files into the resources folder, and then run permissions repair?

Please email me at garrsk@gmail.com

Thanks

Stefan

Hi

I have a gigabyte board that has alc889a. I want to update to Lion. I see the post for enabling audio for alc889a, and did the download, but I am no good using the terminal.

Can I use kext wizard to install the kext. Copy and paste the 2 files into the resources folder, and then run permissions repair?

That's what I did and not the terminal. Don't forget to restart.

I've been trying for a couple of days to get my Ext Mic (Rear Pink) to even show up as an input. My layout xml has Mic and ExtMic entries and the Platform xml has the correct info. But it just won't show up in the Sound prefpane. I also get a fMikeyDriver sound assertion error on boot.

I've looked at other kexts but nothing I've tried has worked.

Also, I can't get all 4 analog outs to work. Green, Black and Orange are fine, but if I try to add the Grey I either end up with the kext not loading, or I lose S/PDIF out.

This is with a 883 add2 but the codecs are very similar.

I've been trying for a couple of days to get my Ext Mic (Rear Pink) to even show up as an input. My layout xml has Mic and ExtMic entries and the Platform xml has the correct info. But it just won't show up in the Sound prefpane. I also get a fMikeyDriver sound assertion error on boot.

I've looked at other kexts but nothing I've tried has worked.

Also, I can't get all 4 analog outs to work. Green, Black and Orange are fine, but if I try to add the Grey I either end up with the kext not loading, or I lose S/PDIF out.

This is with a 883 add2 but the codecs are very similar.

You should use rear mic (pink) as internal mic. If you know how to make SMBUS has mikey in DSDT, you might be able to solve mikey sound assertions.

You can get only maximum showing 4 outputs, not including USB audio or aggregate devices.

You should use rear mic (pink) as internal mic. If you know how to make SMBUS has mikey in DSDT, you might be able to solve mikey sound assertions.

You can get only maximum showing 4 outputs, not including USB audio or aggregate devices.

Thanks for the info. So it's not possible to have it showing up as an external mic? If I have to make it internal that's no big deal, it's only cosmetic after all.

Is there a reason why you can't have all 4 analog outs AND S/PDIF out? I only use the S/PDIF out here so the kext is fine for what I need as it is. I was just trying to get as much working as I could.

Update:

I have the rear Mic working now (as internal). Thanks for the tip! Trying to enable the front Mic breaks the kext.

I'm not sure if I have the right DSDT fix for the mikey sound assertion. I added this one (the only one I can find searching around) but I'm still getting the sound assertion on boot:

Name (_CID, "smbus")
				   Name (_ADR, Zero)
				   Device (MKY0)
				   {
					   Name (_ADR, Zero)
					   Name (_CID, "mikey")
					   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					   {
						   Store (Package (0x07)
							   {
								   "refnum", 
								   Zero, 
								   "address", 
								   0x39, 
								   "device-id", 
								   0x0CCB, 
								   Buffer (One)
								   {
									   0x00
								   }
							   }, Local0)
						   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						   Return (Local0)
					   }
				   }

Thanks for the info. So it's not possible to have it showing up as an external mic? If I have to make it internal that's no big deal, it's only cosmetic after all.

Is there a reason why you can't have all 4 analog outs AND S/PDIF out? I only use the S/PDIF out here so the kext is fine for what I need as it is. I was just trying to get as much working as I could.

Sorry, I don't have any reason why I can't have all 4 analog + digital.

Update:

I have the rear Mic working now (as internal). Thanks for the tip! Trying to enable the front Mic breaks the kext.

I'm not sure if I have the right DSDT fix for the mikey sound assertion. I added this one (the only one I can find searching around) but I'm still getting the sound assertion on boot:

You may ask someone who knows about the DSDT fix.

I fixed the sound assertion by removing the entries for the Front (Ext) Mic from the layout and platform xml files. I don't know what (if any) use the DSDT fix is, but things seems to function just fine without it.

What would be great is if I could get the front Mic to work. Perhaps by pairing it to the rear one so I could connect to front or back. I think the key to this is with DetectDelegate but my attempts to get this working end up with the kext failing to load.

I fixed the sound assertion by removing the entries for the Front (Ext) Mic from the layout and platform xml files. I don't know what (if any) use the DSDT fix is, but things seems to function just fine without it.

What would be great is if I could get the front Mic to work. Perhaps by pairing it to the rear one so I could connect to front or back. I think the key to this is with DetectDelegate but my attempts to get this working end up with the kext failing to load.

Hi,

I get this ”fmkey sound assertion error” upon boot, and managed to fix it in 10.7, but now with 10.7.1 I can't seem to fix it. I can't find anything about ”Front (Ext) Mic” in ”layout885.xml” nor ”Platforms.xml”.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The cause of the fmikey sound assertion for me was having entries for the non-working front panel mic in both layout and platform.

Does your layout xml have Mic and/or ExtMic sections? Mic/ExtMic will also be listed under Inputs. If you have one mic working, then you need to remove references to the non-working one from layout and platform. In platform you have to go by the node ids to identify which is Mic and ExtMic. You can leave the codec verb alone if you like. All that will do is list the non-working mic in system profiler.

Hi tmongkol,

first of all I want to thank you for your whole investigation on the Audio / HDMI stuff! Thanks to your thread, I was able to get my sound working nearly perfect. Nearly perfect because I'm still struggling with the HDMI stuff.

My board is using the NVIDIA MCP79 chipset with a 9400 onboard GPU, just like the iMac 10.1. I made all DSDT edits you suggested, but there is still no sound through HDMI. Could you please have a look on the attached "HDMI.zip"? It contains all technical infos and my edited DSDT.dsl. I would be really grateful for your help! So many thanks in advance!

Hi tmongkol,

first of all I want to thank you for your whole investigation on the Audio / HDMI stuff! Thanks to your thread, I was able to get my sound working nearly perfect. Nearly perfect because I'm still struggling with the HDMI stuff.

My board is using the NVIDIA MCP79 chipset with a 9400 onboard GPU, just like the iMac 10.1. I made all DSDT edits you suggested, but there is still no sound through HDMI. Could you please have a look on the attached "HDMI.zip"? It contains all technical infos and my edited DSDT.dsl. I would be really grateful for your help! So many thanks in advance!

Sorry, I could not help you about 9400GT's HDMI audio. You may take a look at layout0.xml that has item of HDMI in Resources.