ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Can you capture the picture of Terminal that you got problem? I am not quite sure what your problem is.

try these (location = where the file is, i.e. /My Folder/layout885.xml)

sudo cp -R /location/layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudu cp -R /location/Platforms.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R /location/ALC885_889a.kext /System/Library/Extensions (if not install in /E/E)

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885_889a.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885_889a.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Already solved simply using kext utility to repair permission and clear cache! I don't know why that command lines don't worked on terminal..maybe some syntax errors! Anyway now my alc889a work very fine! Thank you! :censored2:

i made so:

1/ copy layout.xml in applehda

2/delete old legacyhda

3/put in s/e/e new alc885_889Lion

4/used kextutility

5/used also disk utility to repair again

All fine!

@ unlimited76

please try these, hope these are what you want.

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x2C)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0xB0, 0x01, 0x43, 0x99, 0x10, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x20, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 0x30, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x80, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 0x40, 0x90, 0xA0, 0x90, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x50, 0x90, 0x81, 0x02, 0x60, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x70, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 0x90, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 
                               /* 0028 */    0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

+

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K531)

Kernel-Version: Darwin 10.8.0

updated! I tried it again with 10.6.8 and it works now! No legacy HDA needed, just bin patched the applehda.kext with perl from terminal.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x89\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Look:

bildschirmfoto20110605u.png

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! You are fantastic!! :help:

Only the 192k sample rate is not available.

bildschirmfoto20110605uy.pngbildschirmfoto20110605ut.png

I took a look at the console cause the volume responds with latency, as if the soundcard would be in standby or so.

Changing the volume I get a popping (DC) noise.

05.06.11 13:48:01 kernel Sound assertion - Command/Response TIMED OUT and ( kRequestStateMatch == fCodecRequest->state = 2 ), fCodecRequest->command->codec: -549424046336, fCodecRequest->command->verb: 0xFFF, fPoweredDown: 0

05.06.11 13:48:01 kernel Sound assertion "0 == fResetAsserted" failed in AppleHDAController at line 4512 goto handler

05.06.11 13:48:01 kernel Sound assertion ""Command/Response TIMED OUT and ( kRequestStateMatch == fCodecRequest->state )"" failed in AppleHDAController at line 4513 goto handler

05.06.11 13:48:01 kernel Sound assertion "0 != executeCodecCommand ( fCodecList[addr], command, &response )" failed in AppleHDAController at line 7633 goto handler

Hi tmongkol & unlimited76, I'm trying to get a ALC 889 working the same way in Lion DP 4 with a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 board. I replaced my HDEF part with this one having pinconfig and bin patching AppleHDA.kext, but I still get no sound on System Preferences. At System Profiler I see Intel HDA and Audio ID: 889 with inputs and outputs.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance,

Karina

Hi all,

I have a GA-EP45T-USB3P, audio chipset ALC889, running Lion DP4. So far I have had no luck getting sound. Everything else works great, but sound has turned out to be a real challenge. I've been reading through the posts here and I haven't yet found a solution.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay I have had some success here. Basically I used a kext from kexts.com that bin patched AppleHDA.kext, specifically for DP4. I then patched my DSDT.aml using DSDT Auto-Patcher. After that my output device was recognized and I now have sound!

Hi all,

I have a GA-EP45T-USB3P, audio chipset ALC889, running Lion DP4. So far I have had no luck getting sound. Everything else works great, but sound has turned out to be a real challenge. I've been reading through the posts here and I haven't yet found a solution.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay I have had some success here. Basically I used a kext from kexts.com that bin patched AppleHDA.kext, specifically for DP4. I then patched my DSDT.aml using DSDT Auto-Patcher. After that my output device was recognized and I now have sound!

GA-x58UD3R ALC889

5.1&7.1

ok

:blink:

10.6.8_______5.1_7.1_______.zip

Great to see that we have a working solution for 889a in Lion. But one thing that is not working anymore is front mic. For 10.6 the first page says:

For OS X 10.6, up to 10.6.7

I think the best solution is to use the kind of legacy kext for sound on board(s), including ALC662, ALC887/888b, ALC888, ALC889, and ALC892. More easier, DIY. Thanks to MaLd0n, toleda and others.

Testing: Front mic will be working as Line In, could not use a microphone.

Legacy_ALCxxx.zip ( 98.58K ) Number of downloads: 1901

For me, front audio (mic and LineIn) worked fine in 10.6.

Is it possible to get this function working for the new kext ( ALC885_889a_LION.zip )?

Great to see that we have a working solution for 889a in Lion. But one thing that is not working anymore is front mic. For 10.6 the first page says:

For me, front audio (mic and LineIn) worked fine in 10.6.

Is it possible to get this function working for the new kext ( ALC885_889a_LION.zip )?

In ALC885_889a_LION.zip, front mic is still acting as Line In as same as I did in Legacy_ALCxxx.zip. (You can test it by plugging in you audio player and use LineIn.app for passing sound from input to output.)

Hi tmongkol, I just wanted to thank you for the 10.6.8 / Lion 889a guide :wacko:

I initially used the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7 to enable audio on my hardware along with a Legacy889aHDA.kext in E/E but to try and ready for Lion I decided to test your method.

With the 10.6.8 AppleHDA.kext replaced and the two xml files added to it I stuck the ALC885_889a.kext in my E/E folder, ran Kext Utility and rebooted.

Sound works fine, I have noticed a slight delay on startup (The speaker icon is greyed out for a second or two), is this to be expected with this method (I didn't have this delay with the 10.6.7 kext)?

Also, System Profiler reports the hardware as 885, I assume I can edit a kext to show 889a?

Thanks again...D-an-W

Hello tmongkol,

I have a EP35-DS4 board. I have tried the steps, I get the sound icon, volume slider is working, but simply there is no sound from the speakers. I used to get sound with LegacyHDA upto 10.6.7 and then for 10.6.8 by replacing the kext from 10.6.7. But in Lion GM, it is not working. Also, there is no analog Mic in, Line in. What do you think could be the problem?

Up until 10.6.8 my GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard with ALC889a audio was immune to sound problems after upgrading the system.

Previously I had no problem with using LegacyHDA.kext installed in Cham/Extra/Extensions and a patched dsdt.aml file.

Well not so with the 10.6.8 upgrade..... I've lost the sound and it's been a bugger to get it working.

I've tried this method in the first post but no luck: For OS X 10.7, also 10.6.8 update or higher Only ALC885/889a ALC885_889a_LION.zip ( 15.67K )

After I copy the layout885.xml and platforms.xml files to the AppleHDA.kext Resources' folder the two Terminal commands don't work as it can not find the file/directory.

sudo cp /location/layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

Result: cp: /location/layout885.xml: No such file or directory and

sudu cp /location/Platforms.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

Result: -bash: sudu: command not found

After that I install the ALC885_889a.kext in the Extentions folder and run:

sudo cp -R /location/ALC885_889a.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Result: cp: /location/ALC885_889a.kext: No such file or directory

Anyway I've tried a few different methods/variations from this thread with no luck getting the sound working. I've removed the orginal LegacyHDA.kext installed in Cham/Extra/Extensions during all of this.

Not sure really how to proceed now. If we could get the Terminal commands working that my help my situation or is there a pre-patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC889a I could install without having to run the Terminal commands? Just kinda thinking out loud here!

Here's my Device (HDEF) from my dsdt file... not sure if it needs to be modified for 10.6.8... I'm just throwing it out there:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

Thanks Everyone!

Johnny, did you alter the cp command to show the actual path of the XML files on your system as I doubt /location/ is your path?

Thanks DanW

There's no mention in the readme to alter the scripts. If so how should they be altered?

Should this:

sudo cp /location/layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

Be this:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout885.xml

?

In ALC885_889a_LION.zip, front mic is still acting as Line In as same as I did in Legacy_ALCxxx.zip. (You can test it by plugging in you audio player and use LineIn.app for passing sound from input to output.)

AAh ok very nice thanks now I got it working! Don't know what i made wrong last time I tried... :(

Thanks DanW

There's no mention in the readme to alter the scripts. If so how should they be altered?

Should this:

Be this:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout885.xml

?

As above I tried rewriting the Terminal commands from this:

To this:

I didn't get the previous errors and had some output from the Terminal:

usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-apvX] source_file target_file

cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-apvX] source_file ... target_directory

The next command in the ReadMe has "sudU" not "SudO"... is this a miss-spelling?:

sudu cp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml

I get an error using "sudU" but here's the output with "sudO":

To make a long story short no sound after doing all the Terminal commands this new way.

But for the heck of it I plugged in my USB headset with mic. I can hear all the system sound with the headset but not with external speakers. So do I need to edit my DSDT or use a legacy HDA kext also or something else?

Thanks!

Stupid question, I know, but this guide for ALC889a only applies for intel, right? I have an AMD motherboard with the alc889a chipset and I tried the kexts for lion that also work on 10.6.8 and they don't work.. It's probably because I don't have a DSDT....right?

Johnny V,

The Terminal copy commands are intuitive: You're copying a file from one location to another location. And, the locations are depicted by file paths.

The first path in the cp command is the source location of the layout885.xml file on your system. The second is the destination path. So, replace "location" with the path of your layout885.xml file.

If you place layout885.xml file on your desktop, then the command would be the following:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

MAJ

As above I tried rewriting the Terminal commands from this:

To this:

I didn't get the previous errors and had some output from the Terminal:

The next command in the ReadMe has "sudU" not "SudO"... is this a miss-spelling?:

sudu cp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml

I get an error using "sudU" but here's the output with "sudO":

To make a long story short no sound after doing all the Terminal commands this new way.

But for the heck of it I plugged in my USB headset with mic. I can hear all the system sound with the headset but not with external speakers. So do I need to edit my DSDT or use a legacy HDA kext also or something else?

Thanks!

I guess the first line in the readme should say...

copy layout885.xml and Platforms.xml to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/, here is how to do it...

As dreamer says, it's all about source location...for example if your Mac username is Johnny and you downloaded the file to Downloads and extracted there...

sudo cd /Users/Johnny/Downloads/ALC885_889a_LION/layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cd /Users/Johnny/Downloads/ALC885_889a_LION/Platforms.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R /Users/Johnny/Downloads/ALC885_889a_LION/ALC885_889a.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Hope that helps.

Here's my Device (HDEF) from my dsdt file... not sure if it needs to be modified for 10.6.8... I'm just throwing it out there:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

Thanks Everyone!

where do i place this in my DSDT.aml file? Thanks ;)

Stupid question, I know, but this guide for ALC889a only applies for intel, right? I have an AMD motherboard with the alc889a chipset and I tried the kexts for lion that also work on 10.6.8 and they don't work.. It's probably because I don't have a DSDT....right?

There is no AMD device-id (HD Audio Controller) in AppleHDAController.kext so you can't get it's working for you AMD mother board.

Also, System Profiler reports the hardware as 885, I assume I can edit a kext to show 889a?

No, you can't. It must be number only and you can make it to be any number.

Not really Johnny V as long as the permissions are right and the kext cache is cleared.

OK Thanks!

Yep did the permissions/cache with the Terminal, with kexthelper and with kext utiliy.... with the same results of no sound. As mentioned I have system sound only in my usb headphones when "unknown usb audio device" is chosen in the Sound Preferences.

So what's my next option?

I'm scratching my head over this! LOL

Thanks!

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

Thanks Everyone!

Please fix as following; DEC 885 = HEX 0x375

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10             <-----------
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00             <-----------
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero)
                           {}
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

Have anyone know how to modify the layout of the sound in Lion?

Mine is ALC888, the sound is up with speaker and optical out, but I need the headphone out, which is missing.

I'm using dsdt+layout.xml in applehda+legacyhda for making it work.

The legacyhda i used is the same one as in the snow leopard, but it just behaves differently, only gives me speaker, optical and line out. But i can see that applehda.kext is correctly loaded in the system proflier. (i'm not sure if it can say to be correctly loaded.)

please share some!

p.s. i have tried the applehda.kext provided by the russian site, no go.