ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Success! Thanks tmongkol!

Audio is working great with the below DSDT edits! Thanks!

No biggy but there are two "Line Out" listed for both Output and System. Looks like the first "Line Out" is non-functional. How would I get rid of it?

Many Thanks for your help and hard work.

John

Please fix as following; DEC 885 = HEX 0x375

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10             <-----------
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00             <-----------
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero)
                           {}
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

No biggy but there are two "Line Out" listed for both Output and System. Looks like the first "Line Out" is non-functional. How would I get rid of it?

John

Johny or any1 where do i place the code above in my DSDT file? thanks

Johny or any1 where do i place the code above in my DSDT file? thanks

I use DSDT SE to edit and compile the DSDT.aml file.

Open your DSDT file using the above app and in the Editor window in the right-hand tool area go to ACPI search and pull down the Select menu. Choose "Sound HDEF" and that will scroll the document down to "Device (HDEF)" There you can edit the info. After the edits you'll need to save first and then compile.

tmongkol, is there anything that can be done to the DSDT.aml to remove or reduce the delay in sound being enabled on startup with the Lion method?

I had a script running on startup to run the Mac boot chimes but with the delay the script now fails.

ive got a ga-ex58-ud5 that will not get sound.

ive tried all these files from people who say 'it works' but i have a feeling they've done something else that is assumed to most.

what is currently working for alc889a, and is there anything else associated with it? i tried the patched 885/889a files but it is not working for me.

im currently running 10.6.7 but will be upgrading to .8 once sound works.

John

I think you set your system as iMac. The best is MacPro

or,(as iMac) you can try to press Input tab and Output tab again, then you will get the first Line Out to work for a while and then the sound will be gone. I have no idea why. I got this experience from my ALC889 while set as iMac . Can you check rear Input (Pink port) while you set it as iMac?

tmongkol, is there anything that can be done to the DSDT.aml to remove or reduce the delay in sound being enabled on startup with the Lion method?

I had a script running on startup to run the Mac boot chimes but with the delay the script now fails.

Sorry, I have no idea.

ive got a ga-ex58-ud5 that will not get sound.

ive tried all these files from people who say 'it works' but i have a feeling they've done something else that is assumed to most.

what is currently working for alc889a, and is there anything else associated with it? i tried the patched 885/889a files but it is not working for me.

im currently running 10.6.7 but will be upgrading to .8 once sound works.

Did you edit you DSDT to have Device (HDEF) solution? You don't need to patch any binary of AppleHDA up to 10.6.7 and add LegacyHDA.kext into /Extra/Extenisons.

In case of 10.6.8 (or higher) and Lion, you need to add layout885.xml and modified Platforms.xml into AppleHDA.kext and to add a new legacy kext into /S/L/E (Lion) or /E/E (10.6.8).

Has anyone noticed the occasional crackle when switching outputs (When launching Plex) with the 10.6.8/Lion method?

I also loose the sound effects in Plex after a while but the audio from the video being played still works fine, this didn't happen with the 10.6.7 kext method.

This is probably due to issues with Plex, some other programs also have issues with sound in Lion and OS X 10.6.8.

At least I know a fix is in the works for XBMC/Plex.

Do i still need the HDAenabler in S/L/E when using ALC885_889a_LION.zip patch ?

I'm using the 10.6.7 AppleHDA with the enabler in S/L/E and the universal ALC8xxHDA.kext in extra. Sound works, but i get KP when using Skype or any other voice chat. Music works fine...

Little help pls !

thx :P

PS: I'm not using dsdt for my install.

can`t get alc889a sound working in Lion.

the fix works great in 10.6.8, but there is no sound in lion when i apply it, even if sysprofiler displays sound hardware...

any idea how to get it working ???

can`t get alc889a sound working in Lion.

the fix works great in 10.6.8, but there is no sound in lion when i apply it, even if sysprofiler displays sound hardware...

any idea how to get it working ???

Did you set "UseKernelCache=Yes" in com.apple.Boot.plist or org.chameleon.Boot.plist (newer boot) and did you rebuild kernelcache?

I'm no pro hackintosher but I've managed so far...

However, now I'm really stuck.

I can't get sound to work in Lion on my GA-X58A-UD7.

I see all the ports in System Profiler but not in the preferences. :)

I tried the "ALC885_889a_LION" and followed the instructions 100% but I can't get it to work.

Hello tmongkol and all thread members, thank you for posting such an easy solution for 10.6.8 and Lion, my audio works just by including layout885.xml and Platforms.xml in AppleHDA's resources folder (and the generic ALCxx kext in /E/E) on my GA-P55M-UD4.

However, since I always like to learn stuff when I include solutions, I'd like to request some more info on how this Platforms.xml is created; I did a text comparison with both 10.6.8 and 10.7.0 vanilla Platforms.xml file, but the changes were way too many. I even tried to sort the keys via PlistEdit Pro, and re-compare the text in the files, but did not work :)

A similar solution also works for my other mobo, with ALC888, so I understand the need for layout888.xml or layout885.xml but how is Platforms.xml created? Why is it so different than the vanilla ones? Should it not just have an addition of layout885.xml inside, e.g. at the bottom or top, rather than a completely restructuring of the vanilla Platforms file?!?

Mald0n? tmongkol? Anyone to shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all.

I'm going to setup Lion on ep45c-ds3r (where i got a leo disk, a SL disk, and a winxp disk working). I want to replace SL with Lion.

I got an alc889a audio chip, where can i find the layoutxxx.xml and the modified Platforms.xml that fits my mob?

EDIT: I need to extrct them from 885_889a kext on first page! Right.

But where can i find the right legacyhda to put in /S/L/E? Do i got to use the one i use for SL in /E/E ?

Thank you all for help

In case of 10.6.8 (or higher) and Lion, you need to add layout885.xml and modified Platforms.xml into AppleHDA.kext and to add a new legacy kext into /S/L/E (Lion) or /E/E (10.6.8).

Hello tmongkol and all thread members, thank you for posting such an easy solution for 10.6.8 and Lion, my audio works just by including layout885.xml and Platforms.xml in AppleHDA's resources folder (and the generic ALCxx kext in /E/E) on my GA-P55M-UD4.

However, since I always like to learn stuff when I include solutions, I'd like to request some more info on how this Platforms.xml is created; I did a text comparison with both 10.6.8 and 10.7.0 vanilla Platforms.xml file, but the changes were way too many. I even tried to sort the keys via PlistEdit Pro, and re-compare the text in the files, but did not work :wacko:

A similar solution also works for my other mobo, with ALC888, so I understand the need for layout888.xml or layout885.xml but how is Platforms.xml created? Why is it so different than the vanilla ones? Should it not just have an addition of layout885.xml inside, e.g. at the bottom or top, rather than a completely restructuring of the vanilla Platforms file?!?

Mald0n? tmongkol? Anyone to shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

@ MacKonsti

I opened Platforms.xml (vanilla) and saved it as Platforms.plist. It's more easier to add or delete item. Then, I saved Platforms.plist as Platforms.xml. Hope, it's the right answer for you.

Hi all.

I'm going to setup Lion on ep45c-ds3r (where i got a leo disk, a SL disk, and a winxp disk working). I want to replace SL with Lion.

I got an alc889a audio chip, where can i find the layoutxxx.xml and the modified Platforms.xml that fits my mob?

EDIT: I need to extrct them from 885_889a kext on first page! Right.

But where can i find the right legacyhda to put in /S/L/E? Do i got to use the one i use for SL in /E/E ?

Thank you all for help

@ komodo_1

Please following Readme First.txt, /location = where the file is. You don't need to use previous LegacyHDA.kext.

For Lion, I would recommend you install all neccesary kexts to /S/L/E and install new Chameleon boot. New boot loader will read org.chameleon.Boot,plist, not com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra, so you need to change com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

for faster boot, you need to add these following lines in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>UseKernelCache=Yes</string>

or

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

However, if you don't use kernelcache, new chameleon boot still can load all necessary kexts from /E/E.

Good morning tmongkol (9.30 in Ita) and thank you.

I prepared the usb install media yesterday, but when i went to install i had an error related to some kext.

I used simply the /E/E kexts that i had on SL. I think i need to remove someone from that directory (on openhaltrestart and sleepenabler i had the error, so i'll delete that two at least).

Was so late yesterday night so i couldn't check that. I'll do asap.

I have new chameleon and i compiled my new org.chameleon.Boot,plist starting from the old file and adding some stuffs (p-states, c-states, ecc).

So if i use kextcaching i got to put all the kext in S/L/E?

I like to keep modified kext in cham parts.

You suggest use new cache way instead?

Thank you for your appreciated help.

I'll let you know as i'll be at home, this evening, and i'll give another try

Sincerely,

Dan.

EDIT:

I have my Lion working as posted here. I didn't use kextcache flag atm, so I got the audio kext in ChammyVolume/E/E and i added xml files to applehda.kext in /S/L/E

Once it was working, under MIDI setup, I made the aggregate device for using 5.1 as on SL.

When i use configure speakers, every single speakers works with right channel assigned.

But if I select aggregate device as default output device, it doesn't work. As if audio device was not installed or something so. Screenshots below

Does someone have any idea?

Thanks you, i'm really happy

P.s.

Here the devices i'm using:

ConfigureDevice.png

Here the channels i assigned to the speakers (everyone works here making noise when I click on it): Configurespeakers.png

Here what happens if I use aggregate device as default output device (in the screen there's the old midi setup application, leopard's one, but the same happen with the lion's one):

AudioMidiSetup2.png

Edited by komodo_1

hi dudes,

i'm noob in kext so I just installed Lion, it works great but stilll no sound ... I've got an ALC889a sound card but I do not have appleHDA.kext in S/L/E I installed ALC885_889a.kext but no good ...

I do not know what to do next ...

Hello,

I have read all the pages, but do not know much English and do not know if already asked or answered.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and sound ALC889A, my motherboard is GA-EP35-DS4

I followed the steps in the first post, I downloaded and followed the instructions ALC885_889a_LION Readme First.txt.

I have a sound and I have no error.

Now my question is. Can I get sound over HDMI?

If yes, as?

Sorry for the google translation, my native language is Spanish.

Thank you very much

Hi tora

Did you give a look in first post of this tread?

Where it says:

HDMI:

There are two methods to get audio via an HDMI cable.

1). For a graphic card that has a S/PDIF connector , read Post #759.

2). For a graphic card that has a built-in audio chip, see Post #760. Update: thanks to toleda for telling me how to add "connector-type" in DSDT so that I can get HDMI audio working again.

Maybe there you can find usefull infos.

I dunno 'cause i use analog cables for my 5.1

Whis this'll help you

Cya

Hello,

...snip...

@alucard_xs:

try downloading applehda.kext from first page of this tread.

Patch it as instructed in ALC885_889a.kext readme file

Place both in your /S/L/E

delete kext cache, fix permissions and reboot your system

Let us know if does it works.

Cya

Edited by komodo_1

Hello,

I have read all the pages, but do not know much English and do not know if already asked or answered.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and sound ALC889A, my motherboard is GA-EP35-DS4

I followed the steps in the first post, I downloaded and followed the instructions ALC885_889a_LION Readme First.txt.

I have a sound and I have no error.

If yes, as?

Sorry for the google translation, my native language is Spanish.

Thank you very much

more information

1) need to add "had-gfx" in DSDT

2) go to this thread, you may need to patch bin if you couldn't get audio thru HDMI.