ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Thanks and credits to:
THe KiNG, stickpin, Kabyl, karaakeha1, MadTux, Taruga, OcciJano, MaLd0n, toleda, janek202, RevoGirl and everyone (will be listed if I remember) who published tools, kexts, information, and hints.

Note: I removed all patched binary kexts. Sorry for this action because I want to clean up this post. Date: 2011, August 04.

Knowledge & How to:
[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base by THe KiNG, this's useful. Please read all of them to get some idea for you.
How to patch AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.2 and above, Ii is a little bit hard, but is fun. by MadTux
[How To] Pinconfig for Linux users by Master Chief
Audio Device Technologies for Windows from Microsoft
Pin Configuration Guidelines for High Definition Audio Devices from Microsoft
Legacy AppleHDA for BOOT-132 by stickpin
[How TO] 5.1 Surround Sound by consolation
[How to] Have sound on all of your speakers by macgirl
How to get 5.1 audio out of AAC-surround-encoded audio
Editing custom personalities for ATI Radeon HD[45]{censored} by bcc9

DSDTs:
DSDT: trick retail drivers by changing "device-id" (e.g USB)by zhell
ACPI (DSDT) Patcher for BIOS and AML by koalala
DSDT Patcher by fassl
DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards by iSoprano
DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Remove _cst errors for MB without C-states by FormerlyKnownAs

HDEF_DSDT-Patcher_Gigabyte go to post #951

Installing legacy kext, and HDAEnabler.kext to whare?
1) legacy kext(s) and HDAEnabler.kext can be installed into /Extra/Extensions, /Extra/Extensions.mkext, or /System/Library/Extensions.
2) LegacyHDA.kext contains only info.plist so it has to work with AppleHDA.kext.

4) HDAEnabler.kext is not required if you are using DSDT.aml with HDEF injection.
5) layout-id in DSDT or HDAEnabler.kext must be matched to LayoutID in info.plists of LegacyHDA.kext or AppleHDA.kext.
6) To avoid popping sound is to be MacPro because my work based on MacPro setting.

How to enabler sound: there are three ways as I've known. Use only one that works for you.
1) Using HDAEnabler.kext.
2) Using DSDT with HDEF injection.
3) Using EFI string.

How to get sound working: there are many ways.
1) vanilla AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA.kext + HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT w/ HDEF injection) for ALC889a/ALC885
2) vanilla AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA.kext + DSDT w/ HDEF injections and HDAU (HDMI audio) injection for ALC889a/ALC885 plus nVidia GT220*
3) bin patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC### only + LegacyHDA.kext for ALC### + HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT w/ HDEF injection)
4) bin patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC### plus nVidia GT240* + LegacyHDA.kext for ALC### + DSDT w/ HDEF & HDAU injections
5) bin patched AppleHDA.kext & edited info.plists for ALC### + HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT w/ HDEF injection)
6) bin patched AppleHDA.kext & edited info.plists for ALC### plus nVidia GT240* + DSDT w/ HDEF & HDAU injections
7) bin patched AppleHDA.kext & edited info.plists for ALC### only plus nVidia GT220* + DSDT w/ HDEF & HDAU injections
8) ALC### disabled plus nVidia GT220*: vanilla AppleHDA.kext + DSDT w/ HDAU injection
9) ALC### disabled plus nVidia GT240*: bin pathced AppleHDA.kext for nVidia GT240 only + DSDT w/ HDAU injection

HDMI: all links seem to be broken and I will update them as much as I can.
There are two methods to get audio via an HDMI cable.
1). For nVidia graphic cards that have a S/PDIF connector , read Post #759.
2). For a graphic card that has a built-in audio chip, see Post #760. Update: thanks to toleda for telling me how to add "connector-type" in DSDT so that I can get HDMI audio working again.
-- for GT240M -- HDMI audio by Jingu
-- for GTX480 -- need to read previous posts by zzebulonn
-- for Sapphire vapor-x HD 5770 -- HDMI audio by VCH888

USB Audio:
C-Media CM6206 Enabler for Mac OS X v2.1

In case of no sound after waking up from sleep, see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5541299?start=90&tstart=0

for patching AppleHDA, OS X 10.10 to edit script
from line of
cat /tmp/patch|grep -A 500 "<key>IOClass</key>" 
to line to
cat /tmp/patch|grep -A 700 "<key>IOClass</key>" 

Added for H87M-HD3: Outputs are similar to 945GCM-S2L's ALC662. There are two methods.

ALC887_H87M-HD3_v1.00.zip  or

ALCpatchers_H87M-HD3.zip

Script patcher for ALC662, 899a/885, and 898: This will patch AppleHDA.kext and you don't need such ALC885HDA.kext, for example.  Still need any kind of sound enabler.

(not test for ALC662 but should be working) (credit to script's writers)

OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9

ALCpatchers.zip

update for 10.10 & ALC662    edited: 28-01-2015 removed "2" before compress the folder, changing the name of folder from ALCpatchers 2 to ALCpatchers .

ALCpatchers 2015-01.zip

For OS X 10.7 (*.xml files) & 10.8 - 10.9 (*.xml.zlib files)

ALC898 (899) for my Z77X-UP5 TH

For 10.9, using this ALC889HDA.kext.zip instead of ALC898HDA.kext due to not in OSKextSigExceptionList
reason: fix if using Headphone (might be on and off between Speakers [rear green] and Headphone [front green]), thanks to toleda. Just tested Headphone fully on March 1, 2013.
ALC898HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.3.zip

fixed missing layout 9 and removed a few of codec verbs in ALC898HDA.kext. (July 20, 2013)

ALC898HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.31.zip

***related to 8419d411 in AppleHDA 10.8.5 & 10.9, may patch only

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xd4\x11|\x99\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

SOLVED using Clover UEFI r1932 or higher (credit to pene @ projectosx)

For booting UEFI with Clover needs to edit config.plist.  Credit to Slice.  (07/01/2013)

This solution will fix sound issue when you're using iTunes, related to AppleHDA 10.9 & 10.8.5.

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BusSpeedkHz</key>
		<string>99790</string> or <string>100000</string>
	</dict>

For more information about BusSpeedkHz, read  http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration#BusSpeedkHz

ALC662
ALC662HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip
may try these lines for ALC662 (07-19-2012) (thanks to TimeWalker & people @ applelife for some idea, discussion of AppleHDA 10.8)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x62\x06\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x08\xec\x10|\x61\x06\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

ALC889a
ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip

ALC889

trying for my Z68XP-UD3R (SOLD) and setting to be iMac12,2. better for multi-device output. (07-19-2012) Note: can not use layout-id =1 if trying these patching lines. (thanks for toleda's notice)(07-25-2012)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00\x88\xec\x1a|\x89\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xff\x87\xec\x1a|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

HDMI audio & M-Lion : some lucky nVidia graphic cards with built-in HDMI audio may be working without patching binary files but still need such the follwowing lines in DSDT. Thanks :guitar: (07-25-2012)

***will fix this section later

For OS X 10.7
Now having a working front mic, more details inside. (I tested my 662, 885, and Z68X/889.) I made for Lion only.

Update: added more pathmaps and others (22/02/2012)
ALCHDASeries_Lion_V1.11.zip

Update: fixed codec verbs to match layout662.xml (for ALC662)
ALCHDASeries_Lion_V1.03.zip

ALCHDASeries_Lion_V1.02.zip

For Gigabyte Z68XP series (one HDMI port) and how to get HDMI display and audio on HD3000
Gigabyte_Z68XP_series.zip
Update: fixed codec verbs in ALC889HD3000.kext for removing unused ports from System Information in each layout-id.
Gigabyte_Z68XP_series_version_1.2.zip

ALC885/889a
ALC885_889a_LION.zip

ALC889 (Gigabyte Sandy Bridge mother boards)
ALC889_for_Gigabyte_67_68_chipset.zip
ALC889_Lion_V2.zip

Based on combo update;
For ALC889a, you may copy Platforms.xml to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources before restarting after the installation of Lion update has done.
For ALC889, you need to restart after updating and then patch bin and copy Platforms.xml again (if need). Don't forget to touch Extensions and restart.

Useful tool: HDA Wizard by janek202

Other ALC### may find this.

Playing DVD with VLC + Aggregate Device for 5.1, setting Sample Rate @ 48000 Hz (Audio Midi Setup).

For OS X 10.6, up to 10.6.7

The kind of legacy kext for sound on board(s), including ALC662, ALC887/888b, ALC888, ALC889, and ALC892. More easier, DIY. Thanks to MaLd0n, toleda and others.
Note: Front mic will be working as Line In.
Legacy_ALCxxx.zip

or old ones
up to 10.6.7
LegacyHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext for ALC889a/ALC885
ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip

Specially for ALC889 and ALC892: Due to limitations, getting 4 ch. analog output (two ports) and two S/PDIF ports. Should be useful for 9400-9600GT (or others) graphic cards that have HDMI port and S/PDIF pin.
ALC889_892_2DG.zip

How_to_patch_AppleHDA.zip
For using a new AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3 or later), ALC662, ALC883, ALC888B (or ALC887), ALC888 and ALC889 will not be able to use LegacyHDA.kext without patching AppleHDA binary. This is DIY. You can make your sound card working. Gigabyte mainboards that have ALC889a can use LegacyHDA.kext with the latest AppleHDA.kext without issues.

10.6 & 10.6.1 & 10.5.8
For Gigabyte (E)P35 & (E)P45 and may be compatible to other Gigabyte motherboards on how to make DSDT.
There are LegacyHDA.kexts for ALC889a and ALC888.
How_to_patch_DSDT_with_LAN_and_HDEF_functions_including_LegacyHDA.zip
Also see more info about HDEF @post #392 for ALC889a
Also see more info about HDEF @post #498 for ALC888

Series of LegacyHDA.kext for Gigabyte ALC888 and ALC889a 10.5.8 & Snow*
Series_of_LegacyHDA.zip

HDAEnabler for someone doesn't want to edit DSDT with HDEF.
HDAEnabler for Snow.zip

For OS X 10.5 for Gigabyte ALC889A, old stuff.

Credit to stickpin for making legacy kexts.
working with AppleHDA.kext version 1.5.7a24, 1.6.2a37
for ALC889A layout-id = 889 ; 0x00000379 ; 0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
Legacy_3outs3ins_digital_HDA_headphone.zip
Legacy_3outs3ins_digital_regualr_headphone.zip
Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_HDA_headphone.zip
Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip
You may learn how to edit layout and pathmap to get outputs from these legacy kexts.

No front mic available.
series_of_legacy_no_front_mic.zip

Requirement: OS X 10.5.7 or higher
1.6.8a3 AppleHDA, front mic is not available. layout-id = 885 ; 0x00000375 ; 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
HDAEnabler_for_1057.zip This HDAEnabler.kext should be used with 1.6.8a3 AppleHDA.kext.
Series_LegacyHDA_1057.zip

Edited by VCH888
  • Like 4

any idea how i can get my ALC888 onboard sound workin on a GA-EX58-DS4? heres my linux codec dump:

To Reign Of Terror,

This is your request. removed please go to post #12 for ALC888

I am not sure whether it's working or not. Please try and reply me your result.

hmm... i tried installing the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts from the 3outs3ins folder with kexthelper, and it made my boot time go from about 10 secs to about 45 secs, after which it just gives me a blank black screen. i booted back into windows, deleted the kexts, and Leopard loaded in 10 secs with no problems. any idea?

hmm... i tried installing the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts from the 3outs3ins folder with kexthelper, and it made my boot time go from about 10 secs to about 45 secs, after which it just gives me a blank black screen. i booted back into windows, deleted the kexts, and Leopard loaded in 10 secs with no problems. any idea?

To Reign Of Terror

I used to got the same problem when I used the wrong Layout. So, I decided to remove all "SignalProcessing" key from PathMapRef.

Please try again and reply me your result.

removed

tmongkol

To Reign Of Terror

I used to got the same problem when I used the wrong Layout. So, I decided to remove all "SignalProcessing" key from PathMapRef.

Please try again and reply me your result.

tmongkol

Will it work for ALC888/S/T on DG33FB with 6 channel (5.1 sound)?

to tmongkol:

I havent tried your latest kext package, but I have good news. I emailed the guy over at osxupdate.blogspot.com about my issue with your last kext package, as well as other things I've tried, and he sent over a few different kexts that he whipped up based on my codec_dump.txt file. One of them worked!

I now have rear audio output, digital output, rear audio input, front audio output, and rear audio line-input. It's not 5.1 surround, and I have no front-panel input, but I have no objections as of yet. All I really wanted was front-panel output. 5.1 would be a plus, but I'm happy :censored2: (I'll post the kexts as soon as I receive word that it's OK from him)

Thanks for the help though, and thanks to the guy over at osxupdate.blogspot.com!

Will it work for ALC888/S/T on DG33FB with 6 channel (5.1 sound)?

I think it will not work for you. I tried to make for Gigabyte's ALC888 because Pin Defaults (Linux Codecdump) of Gigabyte's ALC889A and Gigabyte's ALC888 are the same.

@tmongkol

Have you tried updating to 10.5.6? Is your sound still intact? I was using the Legacy method from EFI partition and the sound was fine, but after the update the only way I can get it to work is by using Taruga's patcher to /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext. I have the same codec as provided by Reign of Terror. I don't mind testing your version 2 that you made for him. I just have couple of questions. Can I use only the Legacy kexts with HDAEnabler? Or do I have to use AppleHDA.kext you provided even with Legacy method? I hoping I can leave everything untouched on my System partition. Thanks!

@tmongkol

Have you tried updating to 10.5.6? Is your sound still intact? I was using the Legacy method from EFI partition and the sound was fine, but after the update the only way I can get it to work is by using Taruga's patcher to /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext. I have the same codec as provided by Reign of Terror. I don't mind testing your version 2 that you made for him. I just have couple of questions. Can I use only the Legacy kexts with HDAEnabler? Or do I have to use AppleHDA.kext you provided even with Legacy method? I hoping I can leave everything untouched on my System partition. Thanks!

To triple675,

I've not try 10.5.6 yet. I am still studying about DSDT Patcher amd HDEF so that I can install 10.5.6 w/o problem. I don't think that my modified Lagacy kexts will work with a new AppleHDA.kext, since I took a look AppleHDA.kext10.5.6 which published by cparm a little bit. Now,I hope I can update my system successfully and then study a new AppleHDA.kext.

Ok, noob here. I have a ga-p35-ds3l and it uses the alc889a to my knowledge. I've got the downloaded files, but I admit I have no idea how to install on of this. Anyone tell me quickly how to use these files so I can have sound?

EDIT: Solved. The Audio installer file in this thread did the trick for my ACL888

i had serious problems with taruga´s modified 889a kexts in the past (sound distortion, lack of bass), had to optimize them by myself but still not the best quality.

question:

is the problem solved with this release? no distortion whatsoever?

oh, forgot to mention: i´m on 10.5.6.

thanks in advance!

edit:

nevermind, tried it myself, works fine.

volume was too low so i modified the info.plist following this thread

those of you with ALC888 and cant get it working, try one of these 3 attached kext folders. the guy over at osxupdate.blogspot.com gave me permission to post them, as long as i mentioned that its all Taruga's work.

@Reign Of Terror

Thank you.

tmongkol

i had serious problems with taruga´s modified 889a kexts in the past (sound distortion, lack of bass), had to optimize them by myself but still not the best quality.

@rramon

Did you try my ALC889A_V1.zip and ALC889A_V2.zip? I think the first one has bass.

tmongkol

this Set of Kext works great with EFIv9 and p35ds4 rev1 but the little cracking sound before playing audio is really annoying... it's really loud and happen every time i play audio... I was not having this kind of problems with an "old" Patched AppleHDA and Azalia EFI string using efiv8

It seems we will have to wait for a fix ;)

this Set of Kext works great with EFIv9 and p35ds4 rev1 but the little cracking sound before playing audio is really annoying... it's really loud and happen every time i play audio... I was not having this kind of problems with an "old" Patched AppleHDA and Azalia EFI string using efiv8

It seems we will have to wait for a fix :rolleyes:

I've noticed this problem with any legacy hda solution I've tried. The only way I can get past this cracking sound is by using Taruga's patched hda kext's. Is anyone actively trying to fix this problem?

those of you with ALC888 and cant get it working, try one of these 3 attached kext folders. the guy over at osxupdate.blogspot.com gave me permission to post them, as long as i mentioned that its all Taruga's work.

Thanks I will test them. :D

They are working but Line Out doesn't :D

I guess I need HDA connection to have auto-switching to the front panel headphones.

hey tmongkol

big THAKS for that audio kext! First time that I got all ports working!

My only problem is that cracking sound :) (ALC889a)

I tried everything... At last the 12/29 Updated SMBIOS and AppleHDA...

but still that cracking sound. What can I do? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance from Germany

hey tmongkol

big THAKS for that audio kext! First time that I got all ports working!

My only problem is that cracking sound :) (ALC889a)

I tried everything... At last the 12/29 Updated SMBIOS and AppleHDA...

but still that cracking sound. What can I do? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance from Germany

@danielsan2008

When I look at your PC Spec, you are using EP45-DS3. karaakeha1 is using P35-DS4 and I am using EP35-DS3P. It may be because of chipset.