ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Just throwing my hat in here for anyone using CRAZY old hardware like I am....and STILL cranking it out. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3g with ALC888 (I think just plain 888 not 888x) and I'm running a vanilla install of Lion updated to 10.7.1. I'm going to attach my working DSDT file which has been working great for me so far. With this DSDT and the AppleHDA.kext installed using Kext Utility my sound works perfectly. Hope it helps someone out. Credit to Bansaku over on tonymac's blog because that's where I found it

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...lit=alc888+lion forum topic

http://www.tonymacx86.com/download/file.php?id=12769 direct link for AppleHDA.kext

dsdt.aml.zip

AppleHDA.ALC888._2810.7.1_29.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Just throwing my hat in here for anyone using CRAZY old hardware like I am....and STILL cranking it out. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3g with ALC888....

Don't take this the wrong way but why not post this info on a thread for the ALC888? This thread is for the ALC889a, not all the ALC versions out there. When people do a search they are not going to looking for this thread for an answer to a different audio codec.

• 1 month later...

Another data point for others to find....

GA-P35-DS3P, BIOS F12B (Rev 1.1 board I think)

OS X 10.7.2 with vanilla AppleHDA.kext and no other HDA related kexts installed (only non-vanilla next is FakeSMC.kext)

ALC-889a audio working with the following DSDT patch for HDEF:

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 
						"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
					   Buffer (0x01)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Tested with codec-id of 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 and 0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 - both worked

Tested with layout-id of 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 and 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 - both worked, gave slightly different names for the connections.

DSDT attached - includes patches to make SATA drives appear as internal and a couple of others I forget (Time Machine fix probably).

It's not 100% though, the following errors appear in the system log after boot:

24/10/11 2:16:20.000 PM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDAWidget at line 3875 goto handler
24/10/11 2:16:20.000 PM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 1162 goto handler
24/10/11 2:16:20.000 PM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDAWidget at line 3875 goto handler
24/10/11 2:16:20.000 PM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 1162 goto handler

post-240958-1319429160_thumb.png

dsdt_hda_sata_patched.aml.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

On my ga-h55m-ud2h i5-760 gt430 running 10.6.8 using legacy appleHDA and ALC8xx kexts. I recently had a hard drive and its warranty replacement fail. During one of the restores I lost my firewire audio, I'm using a Behringer FCA202 as an input device. When I first updated to .6.8 it it was the only sound device showing before I added the legacy appleHDA. It worked fine after I installed the appleHDA and the 8xx kexts. After the full restore everything works except for the firewire, it shows as unknown device in system profile. The appleFWaudio kext doesnt show in kextstat. Any ideas? Thanks

Another data point for others to find....

GA-P35-DS3P, BIOS F12B (Rev 1.1 board I think)

OS X 10.7.2 with vanilla AppleHDA.kext and no other HDA related kexts installed (only non-vanilla next is FakeSMC.kext)

ALC-889a audio working with the following DSDT patch for HDEF:

First off, thanks for the layout-id! Finally I have come across the right one..

I am seeing the exact same assertions as you, but I also noticed that my line out audio outputs to the black speaker jack and not the green, are you seeing the same thing?

Does anybody have an idea how to correct this?

• 2 weeks later...

Ich have a G33M-DS2R Mobo with 10.7.2 and ALC889A

Installed are DSDT via Auto-Patcher, ALC8xxHDA and AppleHda of 10.6.x. Sound works good on green Line Out. But i missing Front-Audio, i have a Hackintosh in a G5 Tower. On Linux works the Front Line Out 1A.

Give´s a Solution for Front-Audio?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question.

I downloaded ALCHDASeries_Lion_V1.03.zip which contains layout6622.xml, however LayoutID 6622 is not mentioned anywhere else. (and there is no accompanying ConfigData in ALCHDASeries.kext/Info.plist)

How is this file supposed to be used or what is the purpose of it?

And a general question. What does PathMapID represent?

Thanks,

Quick question.

How is this file supposed to be used or what is the purpose of it?

I made for my testing unsupported nVidia HDMI audio and it's unsuccessful. I gave up nVidia HDMI audio with Lion AppleHDA. I hope someone might find the solution.

I made for my testing unsupported nVidia HDMI audio and it's unsuccessful. I gave up nVidia HDMI audio with Lion AppleHDA. I hope someone might find the solution.

I figured since I couldn't get it working. Anything happening on this front? I have a NVIDIA ION with ALC662 (and 9400M) onboard and I'm looking to get HDMI working. The testing plist is the closest I've seen to at least tackling the problem and I was really hoping for a solution.

Anything I can try myself? I messed around with the ID's to match my hardware but of course it wasn't that simple. That's why I wanted to know what exactly PathMapID does. Do we know how AppleHDA tries to match up the hardware to the resource files contained in the kext? Any documentation available on the functions that are called (for the assertions that are failing)?

I'd like to help.

@ maleorderbride

Please post your DSDT and codec dump from linux.

edit: got thru PM. Thanks.

NM..I think I am making headway. If you would like assist me in getting ALC898 working I would love a post that either explains Platforms.xml ;p

Your ALCHDA is very helpful so far though--just comparing it to stock AppleHDA and other edited kexts floating around.

NM..I think I am making headway. If you would like assist me in getting ALC898 working I would love a post that either explains Platforms.xml ;p

Your ALCHDA is very helpful so far though--just comparing it to stock AppleHDA and other edited kexts floating around.

You may read these links and I will make it for you to try tonight.

http://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/how-to-patch-applehda-for-892-and-898-one-file/

http://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/applehda-patch-for-mountain-lion-developer-preview-1/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great work! Now I finally have a working front mic! Although I have a few questions:

1. The connection in System Preferences/Sound/Input shows a mic and switches to line in, if I plug my mic in. Why does it change? Shouldn't it stay mic? Is it because a normal mic has only two pins and my adapter has the standard 3,5mm jack, so it is recognized as line In and not as mic? Unfortunately I don't have another mic to test.

2. With the previous version I had a digital input connection. With the current version I don't. So I checked the layout885.xml and found some missing lines compared to the prev. version:

Prev. Version:

Line 16:

<key>Inputs</key>

<array>

<string>LineIn</string>

<string>SPDIFIn</string>

<string>Mic</string>

</array>

Line 315:

<key>PathMapID</key>

<integer>885</integer>

<key>SPDIFIn</key>

<dict/>

<key>SPDIFOut</key>

<dict/>

Current Version:

Line 19:

<key>Inputs</key>

<array>

<string>LineIn</string>

<string>Mic</string>

</array>

Line 312:

<key>PathMapID</key>

<integer>100</integer>

<key>SPDIFOut</key>

<dict/>

Can I add the SPDIFIn back to the new version, or do I have to modify something else? Why does doe PathMadID change to 100? I would like to read about how the whole files and layouts play together, are there some docs or threads to check on?

EDIT: OK, serious problem. I don't get AC3 or DTS stream to my receiver over SPDIF. It stays stereo. For now I'm back to the old version.

EDIT2: Ignore the first edit. I DO get AC3 and DTS over SPDIFOut. The problem was a file with 5.1 AAC which my receiver doesn't support.

Thank you for the great work! Now I finally have a working front mic! Although I have a few questions:

1. The connection in System Preferences/Sound/Input shows a mic and switches to line in, if I plug my mic in. Why does it change? Shouldn't it stay mic? Is it because a normal mic has only two pins and my adapter has the standard 3,5mm jack, so it is recognized as line In and not as mic? Unfortunately I don't have another mic to test.

For layout885.xml, front mic is working as Line In. If you want to get front mic for microphone, you need layout8851.xml.

2. With the previous version I had a digital input connection. With the current version I don't. So I checked the layout885.xml and found some missing lines compared to the prev. version:

I removed S/PDIF In because not everyone wanted it and I didn't need it.

Can I add the SPDIFIn back to the new version, or do I have to modify something else? Why does doe PathMadID change to 100? I would like to read about how the whole files and layouts play together, are there some docs or threads to check on?

Yes, you can add it by yourself and get codec verbs of S/PDIF In from old one to replace the new one.

The number of pathmapid can be any number and is up to you. I changed to 100 because this pathmap will be used by other ALC88#, see Table_1.1.

The best reference I've known is THe King's Guide.