›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Ok.. there's no need to quote my post on your post, when you're posting right after me.. it's just plain waste of space and if i edit my post, your quote will not reflect my edit. Just a thought...

When you say that the kernel shows as 9.7, only two thoughts come to my mind: either something is very wrong with your system or you didn't tested the kernel properly, (my guess is the second). Did you check the pic i posted? The only way i could fake that pic, is by running vanilla kernel and i can't do that because i have Pentium D processor.

The size of the kernel is 4.9MB, exact same size as Voodoo.

About the mouse and network problems, i don't know.. maybe you'll have to blame Apple :(

Now, there's no such thing here as a "nice try" or "real thing"!! This is a kernel i built for me, using the exact same patches Voodoo uses and i'm using it with no problems. I only shared it because (as i stated) there are no significant differences on the files that need to be patched. If there were significant differences i wouldn't do it! Most probably, i wouldn't even be able to build it!! This is noob work, not plain stupid noob work.

--------------------------------------

This is for everybody: if your not having problems after 10.5.8 update running the 9.7 kernel, don't try the kernel i posted. Your computer might go crazy and attack you. Anyway, i will remove it as soon as Voodoo team updates "the real thing". Thanks

Hi, here C2D, Gigabyte EP35 (normal Vanilla 9.8.0).

Its really an Voodoo 9.8.0:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Tue Aug 11 03:25:50 WEST 2009; Voodoo 2.0 Intel alpha3 Azi :xnu-1228.15.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

At least i can boot and now running safari - NO KP since now :( I will test further (even if i get back to vanilla).

Hey, Never Mind.. yes i saw it. Will answer asap :P Thanks for your kind words and advice, mate.

By the way, even if he had 10.5.7 system.kext installed, the kernel would never show as 9.7.

---------------------

Mitch_de.. glad to know it's working fine for you. Just keep in mind that this is not Voodoo kernel :(

Well Mitch.. Let's say that, unless there's something that conflicts with the patches or really needs to be tweaked because of the update, this is as close as i can get to Voodoo kernel! In fact, that is my intent.. to have a updated Voodoo kernel.

I just can't call it Voodoo.

Beside the change in name and kp message, the main difference is that the kernel you can download in Voodoo site, is built in a sandbox environment, like Voodoobuild. And it's made by people who know a looooooot moooooore about this sleeping, than me wide awake ;)

Schwinn555: did you install the 9.8.0 System kext with that?

Cheers, NM

Yes, I'm using the 9.8 System kext. Something odd is going on with my install but I have no idea what the problem is.

I had an install of "iAtkasv7 - 10.5.7" Used Apple's 10.5.8 combo upgrade. Everything is vanilla except 2 kexts (graphics & networking) & kernel. I used OS86 tools to switch kernels. It and system profiler both show the old kernel(9.7) (turns out it's from iAtkos disk and is a Voodoo clone?) even after swiching kernels to the 9.8 version very odd. It's almost like it's using a hidden copy of 9.7 but networking & wireless mouse don't work so clearly not the same kernel odd. 10.5.8 seems fine with 9.7 kernel so will leave alone for now. Maybe do a fresh install in the future. I'm guessing another kernel will have the same issues.

Ok Schwinn555... thanks for removing the quote ;)

You must have another kernel in the system and probably is set to be the default on your Boot.plist. Don't use OSx86Tools to test a kernel.. it's as simple as copy/paste. In fact, you guys shouldn't use OSx86Tools for much.. it needs to be updated!! And that way you learn nothing.

Do this:

- make system hidden files visible

- go to the root of the system and check the kernels you have.. anything started with "mach_kernel", except "mach_kernel.ctfsys" (leave that alone)

- if you're not using "com.apple.Boot.plist" in Extra folder, look for it in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Open it with TextEdit and look for this:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

check if you have "mach_kernel.something" instead of "mach_kernel".

- finally, open Terminal app and type:

uname -v

that will show you info about the kernel in use.

Gather that info and get back here with it.. i'll tell ya how to properly test a kernel :(

Ok, I now only have one "mach_kernel" in root. It's yours.

Here's my com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>custom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

says 'custom' rather then 'mach_kernel"

Terminal shows the older kernel not sure where it's getting it. There is one backup copy made with OSX86tools on another drive. Perhaps it links to that? thanks

I wouldn't worry much about mach_kernel.ctfsys.. tryed to find info on it but, i only found a bunch of old topics about the file becoming visible after a update. I think it's not used in Intel Mac's or something.. read something a while ago but not sure. Snow Leopard doesn't have it.

Man, that "custom" thing is new to me??? :( some iAtkos bs, i guess...

Ok.. if you're using Chameleon bootloader or similar, change that to "mach_kernel".. the bootloader will read that and load the mach_kernel in the root. Before you reboot, put also the Voodoo kernel (9.7) on the root and name it "mach_kernel.voodoo" (or name mine mach_kernel.something and Voodoo one as mach_kernel).

To use a different kernel than the one set in Boot.plist, when you get to the boot prompt, just type the name of the kernel you want to use and press enter. If you don't type any, the booter will use the one specified in Boot.plist.

Then check the kernel in Terminal.

p.s.: OSx86Tools only copies the kernel to root, sets permissions on it and stores the old one in the backup folder.

Azimutz, followed your info and it's now running your 9.8 kernel. All seems fine. Odd how they locked it on that one kernel.

I see I now have the infamous com.apple.don't stealmac osx.kext must be from using the Apple Mac OSX combo download for 10.5.8. I normally wait for a fixed file. I'm guessing remembering I should toss the above .kext? Doesn't seem to be doing any harm but does show up in the log files as being present. thanks for your help & the file.

Ok, nice ;) So, no problems with network and mouse?

You shouldn't have "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" loaded!! How did you checked that? hum.. the kernel keeps it from loading unless you disable "kext blacklisting" and it's not disabled on you Boot.plist.

AppleHWSensor.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are also blocked.

Go to System Profiler->Extensions or better.. open Terminal and type: kextstat

..if you don't see those kexts there, they are not loaded.

Anyway, i don't use the blacklist thing.. i only block AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and i don't have problems with those kexts loaded. But, that's me.. on your system maybe different.. only you can determine that.

About the "custom" thing.. it must point to another file or something. That must have been set by iAtkos installer, i think?!

Check the "readme" on iAtkos for something on it.. i really don't know nothing about that. That's the problem about using "distros" and not knowing what they do!

Check these things and pm me.. i'll give you some tips if you want/need ;)

See ya

p.s.: Don't ask me for diff file because i don't know how to do it ;) and really, it would only show you my name and Apple's updates.

That's the easiest part: :D

Let's say the original files are in the "kernel.original" directory and your modified files in the "kernel.azimutz" directory. Just type:

$ diff -Naur kernel.original kernel.azimutz >patch.diff

That's it!

By the way, it would be nice if you provided the patch/sources in order to comply with APSL license, even if the changes are minimal.

Thanks for your kernel!!!

Hi skn.. you're right :) i've been messing with it yesterday, it's almost done. I do got into some troubles but, i think you tip is going to help. I didn't got to the -naur part. Thanks for that, very much!

Probably will post them today... let's see if i can stay awake :)

Hey, no need to thank.. it's not really mine. For me it's just Voodoo updated ;)

EDIT: diff added :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-471006-1253127049_thumb.jpg

Here is my kernel panic screen.

Happened when i was downloading a dmg file. It just finished and started to mount.

anyway

I have more luck with alpha3 release. Works just fine.

edit: Ugh, no sleep...

Trying to solve problem with 9.5 kernel by installing different seatbelt.kext.

brb

:)

The Voodoo 1.0 release (9.5 kernel) seems to be causing my machine to spontaneously reboot during startup.

I'm using an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard with a Phenom II 955 and DDR3 memory. I started by installing LawlessPPC (10.5.4) (after patching it with the SB700 kexts). Once that was up and running (and before doing anything else), I installed the Voodoo kernel using the installation package. On rebooting, the machine just reboots during startup, fairly soon in the process.

I've also tried installing iPC, iATKOS, and iDeneb releases with the same issue (that is, the install DVD reboots during startup -- I never managed to get into the installer with these releases).

Any ideas?