›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

yup.. got a issue.. think it's my first with Voodoo :D

I'm guessing xnu-dev is the place to post. There's now a public repository in source page.. very nice improvement!

Alpha 2 is out too......

Testing Now...

Edit: As of now,seems fine....no issues till now.I guess it detects the cpu freq correctly:

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: PAE enabled

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: \[TSC\] Using Apple/Intel bus ratio path

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: \[TSC\] CPU freq = 1596.476772MHz, FSB freq = 133.39731MHz, tscGran = 12.0

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Sat Jun 13 13:34:04 IST 2009; Voodoo 2.0 Intel alpha2 :/VoodooKernel/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: vm_page_bootstrap: 513818 free pages and 10470 wired pages

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: mig_table_max_displ = 79

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

Sat Jun 13 20:06:39 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Intel Core Duo T2050@1.66GHz with FSB=133MHz

Voodoo 2 alpha 3 is out! Running fine on my Pentium D, after some bug fixing. No elusive kp launching Terminal right after boot on my machine.

Get testing guys :(

Alpha 3 running fine on my 10.5.7 Pentium 4 Prescott system.

With the previous Alpha versions 1Tunes & DVD player sound was choppy and the system would not shutdown correctly. I was seeing dmesg outut flodded with warning messages about AppleUSBAudio get-time results being wrong and those are now gone.

The CPU & FSB frequency values are back where they were with Voodoo V1.

Using Chameleon2 RC1 to boot with the following kext to override my Retail install:

AHCIPortInjector.kext
ATAPortInjector.kext
AppleDecrypt.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

I am currently using the retail versions of System and seatbelt kext. Voodoo V2 Alpha3 is a keeper :D

I've Just Reported a bug encountered on MSI Wind Plus hardware ( Running the Intel Atom N280 CPU ) .

I noticed a cursor lag ( Which is annoying , really ) like while moving the cursor you notice some halts for a sec.

Hope you solve it - All in all the kernel is excellent , ive noticed shorter boot times too.

Hi mercurysquad,

Thanks again for a great version of the 9.7.0 kernel :)

Got a question about compiling the voodoo2 (alpha3) kernel source.

=== some introduction ===

On the xnu-dev Source page it is explained how to use 'hg' to get the sources. I followed the instructions on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel" page that is linked at the xnu-source page. Somehow the step make "kld_build" gives me errors when compiling that part of cctools. Luckily a precompiled 9.7.0 version of the library that is coming out is available on this forum (would love to know what the problem is though, getting errors like: In file included from ../ld.c:70:../ld.h:102: error: syntax error before ‘_Bool’ )

The XNU source page says that with voodoo 2 total sources are available instead of patches, but the repository doesn't contain some of the source code packages that are mentioned on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel", e.g. IOKitUser, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds, cctools and kext_tools (9.7.0 versions). So if I download these from Apple, and compile them following the instructions on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel"-page, then I will get unpatched versions of these. What I can see is that in the previous release of the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, (some of) these were also patched with the diff files.

========

So, my question is: Should I download these IOKitUser, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds, cctools and kext_tools (9.7.0 versions) from Apple and add them/compile them 'unpatched' (like on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel") in addition to the Voodoo sources cloned from the XNU repository, to get the files needed to compile the kernel? Should I then get the same compiled version of the Alpha3 kernel as available on the XNU-website?-)

I was able to compile something, but that 'thing' gives me an instant reboot :-)

Hope you can give me some pointers, I am sure I am doing sth wrong.

Cheers!

N.M.

Hi,

I'm locked out of my usual account (forum bug) so I just created a new one to reply --

The source repository contains full sources of the kernel only, not the support tools needed to compile it. The instructions for building the support tools are very shaky, I know that, but at the moment I don't have time to write a full tutorial. So far Dense's scripting magic has allowed us to automatically build, patch and install the support tools. For kernel 9.6 and above, and after the Apple opensource website restructuring, the voodoobuild.sh script doesn't work properly anymore. For Voodoo 2, I spent an afternoon rebuilding all the tools and setting up my build environment, with some modifications to voodoobuild.sh and some manual work. These are way too crude right now to release online, so we're waiting until at least the beta test phase before making the Kernel Developer Toolkit and updating the voodoobuild script.

As for the patches applied to the support tools -- they are not needed for voodoo kernel specifically, but were applied for other reasons: like to avoid building stuff we don't need, to make the tools build and install in a sandbox environment (instead of /usr/local) and so on. Dense would be able to provide more info about those.

So in the meanwhile, yes you can download latest versions of the sourcecode of those tools and use those to build the Voodoo kernel. You'll get the same kernel as on the project website (you can build a tagged version in the source tree, e.g. "alpha3" and get the same version as on the website. However, if you try to match filesize or md5 sums, they probably won't match because the kernel embeds the current date/time, build folder name etc. inside itself so the hash could be different.)

To sum up: the repository contains full sources but only for the kernel, not the tools needed to build it. In its current form the kernel can be built only if you have built/installed the support tools. We will make available a readymade package soon, but for now you must wrestle with the instructions available online and see what works for you.

Hope that answers your queries.

Hi mercurysquad,

Thanks again for a great version of the 9.7.0 kernel :censored2:

Got a question about compiling the voodoo2 (alpha3) kernel source.

=== some introduction ===

On the xnu-dev Source page it is explained how to use 'hg' to get the sources. I followed the instructions on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel" page that is linked at the xnu-source page. Somehow the step make "kld_build" gives me errors when compiling that part of cctools. Luckily a precompiled 9.7.0 version of the library that is coming out is available on this forum (would love to know what the problem is though, getting errors like: In file included from ../ld.c:70:../ld.h:102: error: syntax error before ‘_Bool’ )

The XNU source page says that with voodoo 2 total sources are available instead of patches, but the repository doesn't contain some of the source code packages that are mentioned on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel", e.g. IOKitUser, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds, cctools and kext_tools (9.7.0 versions). So if I download these from Apple, and compile them following the instructions on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel"-page, then I will get unpatched versions of these. What I can see is that in the previous release of the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, (some of) these were also patched with the diff files.

========

So, my question is: Should I download these IOKitUser, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds, cctools and kext_tools (9.7.0 versions) from Apple and add them/compile them 'unpatched' (like on the "Compiling the x86 Darwin XNU kernel") in addition to the Voodoo sources cloned from the XNU repository, to get the files needed to compile the kernel? Should I then get the same compiled version of the Alpha3 kernel as available on the XNU-website?-)

I was able to compile something, but that 'thing' gives me an instant reboot :-)

Hope you can give me some pointers, I am sure I am doing sth wrong.

Cheers!

N.M.

Just curious: Why is the new 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel so much smaller than the vanilla version?

I noticed a big change in size in Apple's kernel going from 9.6.0 to 9.7.0, but that size isn't reflected in the Voodoo version. What's in the vanilla version that's not in the Voodoo? Is this mostly 64-bit stuff?

kind regards,

MAJ

Just curious: Why is the new 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel so much smaller than the vanilla version?

kind regards,

MAJ

I think thats because of Intel only(voodoo) vs PPC/Intel (Vanilla)

I think thats because of Intel only(voodoo) vs PPC/Intel (Vanilla)

Well,i also agreewith you.Also,you can trim the vanilla kernel code to either intel or ppc by using ditto

if you do

ditto --arch i386 mach_kernel mach_kernel_new

This will generate a new kernel mach_kernel_new with only the Intel specific code and half the size(mine is nearly 5MB as opposed to 10MB(original)

You can verify that mach_kernel has two arch supported by running:

file mach_kernel

This is also true for other universal binaries.

Mercurysquad,

Does,trimming the code to Intel specific architecture have "theoretical" benifit while booting.

I mean,is the entire binary(both arch) loaded during boot ? Or Only Intel specific(for Intel CPUs)

Because if the entire binary is loaded and only intel code is active,then theoretically this should save

some boot time and RAM apart from hard disk space,though small.

I guess this is one of the reasons why snow leopard has a very little footprint.

Could someone explain me what is the advantage to run Voodoo 2 vs Vanilla 9.7.0? I don't have any issues with Vanilla so far.

The primary objective is to include more CPUs to support OSX.I mean Intel P4,Pentium D and also AMD.

As for the rest with Intel Core Duos/Core 2 Duos,not much,but removal of unwanted (Apple Hardware specific) code.

The primary objective is to include more CPUs to support OSX.I mean Intel P4,Pentium D and also AMD.

As for the rest with Intel Core Duos/Core 2 Duos,not much,but removal of unwanted (Apple Hardware specific) code.

That means in my case, Voodoo 2 will not be useful at all. I am really happy with the default 10.5.7 kernel, in fact, it recognize my gigabyte mobo as an iMac8,1 something like this never happen in previous default Leopard kernel.

That means in my case, Voodoo 2 will not be useful at all. I am really happy with the default 10.5.7 kernel, in fact, it recognize my gigabyte mobo as an iMac8,1 something like this never happen in previous default Leopard kernel.

Well,i guess yes.

But this kernel has ability to blacklist some kexts like AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext and others which can cause issues while updating the system.

And as far as spoofing the system to a mac one is concerned i guess the best option is to use Chameleon RC with smbios.plist in /Extra.By using this,you can spoof it to any mac/non-mac model.

In my case i was also able to correct my FSB.Its 133MHz(non-quad pump),but in system profiler(and even sysctl -a|grep -i bus),the value displayed was 16 times this value.

But now using smbios.plist it is corrected(verified in sysctl also)

Mercurysquad,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Does,trimming the code to Intel specific architecture have "theoretical" benifit while booting.

I mean,is the entire binary(both arch) loaded during boot ? Or Only Intel specific(for Intel CPUs)

Nope the only benefit of trimming is that it uses less hard drive space. Only intel part is loaded on intel machines.