Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

hello,

I have 4Go of ram, and my mobo is stable, no crash for the moment.

For HDMI audio, I'll try this weekend. I must buy a HDMI cable before to test. But I don't think this option work, because of Apple don't include audio in display port.

For Wake up on LAN, I don't know. I don't use this option, but I think this is the BIOS whitch control the Wake up, not the OS.

For sleep, I'll test when I install OpenHaltReset.kext

I'll test and give you answers.

Bye

Edit : After tests, my mobo is not very stable. See answer below.

hello,

I have 4Go of ram, and my mobo is stable, no crash for the moment.

For HDMI audio, I'll try this weekend. I must buy a HDMI cable before to test. But I don't think this option work, because of Apple don't include audio in display port.

For Wake up on LAN, I don't know. I don't use this option, but I think this is the BIOS whitch control the Wake up, not the OS.

For sleep, I'll test when I install OpenHaltReset.kext

I'll test and give you answers.

Bye

For system with 4GB+ RAM, try copying some large files. Other forum users reported problem arised when large files are copied.

hey,

i've got just a little question:

how exactly do i install mac os x with a unibody restore disc?

boot the dvd and install to the usb drive or install osxinstall.mpgk with pacifist? an how do i make this install bootable?

thx for your answers in advance!

hello,

After tests and install yesterday, I have found solutions for my problems, and find other problems :

- I installed OpenRestart kext, and the shutdown / Restart is ok.

- I installed AppleSMBIOS-DDR3-1333 kext and my e8400 is reconised with good frequence.

But :

- Sleep mode don't work. I can't restore sleep session.

- When I tried to install Adobe CS4 Master Collection, or iLife'08, the OS Freeze. Graphic corruption, I have the mouse but all the system is out. I must restart by button.

- The system is not stable at all for the moment, and I don't know why.

I have 4Go DDR, is it a problem? If any people have a solution, please help me ;)

Thanks a lot for this very good topic.

Edit : I tried my mobo with 2Gb of Ram and it solved all stability problems. Installations of CS4 and iLife are ok.

If any people has a solution for sleep mode???

004qe7.th.jpg

-Taken with iPhone. Sry for bad Quality.

Using above iPC 10.5.6 Method

Few quick tweaks to customize menu..

Install NVKush, Reboot

Load other kexts with Kext Helper, Reboot.

Viola.

HDMI works great, even on the TV or my 24" LCD.

HDMI Audio however I cannot get to work, I switch audio sources in Prefs and still get no output through to the TV.

Sleep is still not working, and I can't figure that out..

If anyone can think of something it would be great. Just thought I'd post my success with the iPC Distro.

For system with 4GB+ RAM, try copying some large files. Other forum users reported problem arised when large files are copied.

Yeah, you could do that...

Or you could...

Freezing when cloning a drive sounds suspiciously like the problem I have/had.

How much memory have you and in what configuration? (how many sticks, what size and in what slots)

Also, can you try running this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2vy4b8

If it crashes out on you then you've got shared memory issues.

It's a bit more scientific that "copying some large files"...

I have installed most .kext's and got most things working using Boot132 and retail DVD. My only problem is when I play video the screen is black or when I go into iTunes it says cannot be displayed on this computer. I have installed NVKush. Am I not doing something right? Can someone give me a step by step for installing the video .kext?

Thanks in advance!

Edit ---- Added the .kext to boot 132 and video is working.

I'm actually starting to have a little bit of a problem.

When iTunes is open I have somewhat of a system slowdown, the mouse will lockup and freeze randomly... Anyone with this issue? I installed the current updates from yesterday but I'm going to try again with a clean install and iTunes 7.

e4500

2Gb RAM - Yellow

Onboard graphics

avoid iTunes and Quicktime at all cost on this board, other players work fine!

I'm actually starting to have a little bit of a problem.

When iTunes is open I have somewhat of a system slowdown, the mouse will lockup and freeze randomly... Anyone with this issue? I installed the current updates from yesterday but I'm going to try again with a clean install and iTunes 7.

e4500

2Gb RAM - Yellow

Onboard graphics

Hey all. So I have some good news....

-Nvidia 9400 works 100% QE/CI. Only tested via DVI so far.

-Ethernet works oob and has proper bonjour/afp sharing support

-firewire works oob

-ahci working oob, but with device id added to ahci kext info you get info in sys profiler (picture below)

-Vanilla kernel works (from macbook restore disc)

-Sleep works and even wakes using usb keyboard on S3.

picture1mz4.png

More info to come soon. Of course you'll need a macbook/macbookpro unibody restore disc as of now.

Thanks to Signal64 for testing this stuff out for the curious crowd. :unsure:

-Stell

Hello,

Can you provide more info on your method ?

I have iPC Final 10.5.6 installed and everything seems to work except no QE/CI for the 9400.

I got the latest GeForce, NVDANV50Hal, and NVDAResman kexts from the Apple combo update and added the 0x086a10de device ID and installed them and I put the EFI string into com.apple.Boot.plist. Video works with no issues but I have no QE/CI.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

Can you provide more info on your method ?

I have iPC Final 10.5.6 installed and everything seems to work except no QE/CI for the 9400.

I got the latest GeForce, NVDANV50Hal, and NVDAResman kexts from the Apple combo update and added the 0x086a10de device ID and installed them and I put the EFI string into com.apple.Boot.plist. Video works with no issues but I have no QE/CI.

Thanks,

Chris

Seems that for most installing NVKush does the job.

Also - Update on the iTunes problem, I just updated iTunes and not the Security update nor QT, and everything is fine. iTunes is kind of needed as the iPhone needs something to sync to :)

- Install iPC 10.5.6 with minimum options (just DSTS patch, and kext Helper application) No drivers, no modified kernels, no other patches.

- Install kext from (drivers): http://foro.applesana.es/14/18868/gigabyte...odificados.html

- Install kext from (audio fix) : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=40674

- Install NVKush from (9400): http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

Hey, really appreciate the info, nemorigolo,

but would kindly please provide an alternative link to the kexts from the foro.applesana.es since it requires registration and I don't speak Spanish. :)

Thanks.

hello,

First, excuse for my poor english.

I'll try to explain my installation with iPC 10.5.6, who works on GA-E7AUM-D2SH :

- Install iPC 10.5.6 with minimum options (just DSTS patch, and kext Helper application) No drivers, no modified kernels, no other patches.

- Install kext from (drivers): http://foro.applesana.es/14/18868/gigabyte...odificados.html

- Install kext from (audio fix) : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=40674

And you will have a super MAC :)

That doesn't work :

- Restart (shutsown is ok). I will try OpenHaltReset.kext from : http://www.mediafire.com/?yznzqmhmtng

- CPU infos : I have a E8400 3GHz, but osx write 3,2GHz, I don't know why.

After small tests, I use HDMI output with HDMI/DVI cable on viewsonic 1920*1080 22", and its ok. Sound is ok, I will try digital output. Firewire seems to be ok, he's reconised. USB ok.

I use DLink g122 usb wifi card, and PCTV pro stick with eyeTV.

Thanks for the information. Can you tell us:

1. How much RAM you have installed --do you have more than 2GB
  2. Does sleep work -- does sound and network recover from sleeping?

:blink:

Thanks Again.

LJS

hello,

-> pxavierperez :

There is an other link : http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f07272b...3304b773ca35e24

This link is at page 16 or 17 of this topic

-> LJSeinfeld :

I had 4Go of Ram, but is was not stable. My system freezed every time. I remove 1 2Go to have 2Go of Ram and the system is marvelous. Very stable and very fast.

For me, Sleep don't work. Add in the installation patch Shutdown/restart fix (OpenRestart kext) to have reboot, but Sleep is not ok for the moment.

Good day for all.

Bye

hello,

First, excuse for my poor english.

I'll try to explain my installation with iPC 10.5.6, who works on GA-E7AUM-D2SH :

And you will have a super MAC :)

That doesn't work :

- Restart (shutsown is ok). I will try OpenHaltReset.kext from : http://www.mediafire.com/?yznzqmhmtng

- CPU infos : I have a E8400 3GHz, but osx write 3,2GHz, I don't know why.

After small tests, I use HDMI output with HDMI/DVI cable on viewsonic 1920*1080 22", and its ok. Sound is ok, I will try digital output. Firewire seems to be ok, he's reconised. USB ok.

I use DLink g122 usb wifi card, and PCTV pro stick with eyeTV.

So, after testing installation with a Unibody MacBook Restore Disk (10.5.5) which was not very successful, I switched back to the iPC DVD. What I can say so far, I had most success with applying the Combo Update after installation (I installed on an external drive from a running Hack). Than I played a little bit with kexts and the DSDT file provided in the thread. But the outcome was worse than my experinces with the iPC (btw I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz).

The iPC works very well so far. Finally the S-ATA stuff is identified right. But there are still two issues which bother me:

- The CPU is still not identified: Leopard gets the right frequence but no other information about the CPU (Core2Duo, etc.).

- No wake up from sleep: The Hack goes into sleep , but it doesn't wake up. So the machine switches on but after that nothing happens.

One thing to note: I have no RAM problem (4GB Corsair).

In what area do I have to dig for this CPU thing? Does it have something to do with the DSDT stuff? Or could it be solved with some kexts?

Cheers

wanky

So, after testing installation with a Unibody MacBook Restore Disk (10.5.5) which was not very successful, I switched back to the iPC DVD. What I can say so far, I had most success with applying the Combo Update after installation (I installed on an external drive from a running Hack). Than I played a little bit with kexts and the DSDT file provided in the thread. But the outcome was worse than my experinces with the iPC (btw I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz).

The iPC works very well so far. Finally the S-ATA stuff is identified right. But there are still two issues which bother me:

- The CPU is still not identified: Leopard gets the right frequence but no other information about the CPU (Core2Duo, etc.).

- No wake up from sleep: The Hack goes into sleep , but it doesn't wake up. So the machine switches on but after that nothing happens.

One thing to note: I have no RAM problem (4GB Corsair).

In what area do I have to dig for this CPU thing? Does it have something to do with the DSDT stuff? Or could it be solved with some kexts?

Cheers

wanky

Hello wanky,

for your CPU problem, just install Apple-SMBIOS-DDR3-1333 for your e8500. Your FSB is 1333MHz, so cpu will be reconised good. I have a E8400 and it work fine.

Do you use the geforce 9400 onboard or an external card? because, if you use external card, its normal you haven't any problem with 4Go of Ram. The problem is when you use onboard card + 4Go.

Just a small recap if you havn't read through all the posts. Mainly post-installation.

I thought I'd just post a link back to the excellent post made by Signal64 that summarizes the problems with this board. Remember that the end of the post contains some very useful kexts. I have not found any other kext or nvcap that would be better to use with this board.

Signal64s post

I also use this nvcap that I extracted a while back. NVKush is the obvious choice.

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000007 00000000

That is>

BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

- Seems to have issues with mirroring. Dual works like a charm though.

If anyone has found any solution to any of the issues listed in Signal64's post, feel free to share the wealth. ;)

/C

Hello wanky,

for your CPU problem, just install Apple-SMBIOS-DDR3-1333 for your e8500. Your FSB is 1333MHz, so cpu will be reconised good. I have a E8400 and it work fine.

Do you use the geforce 9400 onboard or an external card? because, if you use external card, its normal you haven't any problem with 4Go of Ram. The problem is when you use onboard card + 4Go.

Hey nem,

thanks for the hint with the kext. I will try this.

I don't use the onboard card, so I am lucky :huh:

@chrilled

I read the hole thread, maybe three times. Most of the time looking for stuff I have seen before ;) , since the "thread search" does not work. So I also tried the files provided by Signal but it didn't help.

But in this context I have a question: When do I need the "modified OSInstall.mpkg" method (also posted by Signal)? He wrote his modified file removes a hardware check. Where is this hardware check? First time booting the hack? During installation?

Cheers

wanky

@chrilled

I read the hole thread, maybe three times. Most of the time looking for stuff I have seen before :rolleyes: , since the "thread search" does not work. So I also tried the files provided by Signal but it didn't help.

But in this context I have a question: When do I need the "modified OSInstall.mpkg" method (also posted by Signal)? He wrote his modified file removes a hardware check. Where is this hardware check? First time booting the hack? During installation?

Cheers

wanky

In my case:

OSX mbp restore DVD asks: do you have a MBP? .. No.. Ok, then you cant install.

It's a modified installer that enables installation on other hardware. That's why I had to make a new installer with that mpkg (replacing the original..). -Tnx Signal64 btw.

Personally I prefer installing everything via my genuine mac onto an external drive and then installing a loader of your choice (with needed dsdt.aml and kexts like smbiosresolver, decrypt and disabler to name a few..) before putting it back into my hackintosh. -Thx DiaboliK.

This process can be made quite "noob friendly" with pcwiz's installer that combines the work of some great hackintosh devs.

I recommend the 10.5.6 release since it contains everything (the only release before this with the proper kexts was the MBP restore 10.5.5, thats why I used that, and the fact that I own the disc). No I'm not using any distros, several people have tried and shared their experiences in this thread.

If you need more accurate info on the osinstall try a search. There are a few threads about it.

Dear,

I have tried iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 with minimum installation on this MOBO with kext drivers but have problem on NVKush installation. The system goes kernal panic after NVKush installation. After, I have install iPC 10.5.6 following the instruction and the system goes great with 1920x1200 32bit screen on my monitor. Then I have copy GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext , NVDAResman.kext and NVKush.kext from iPC to iDeneb image. The NVKush is working with iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 version !!

However, when I use iMovie 09 . It will unexpected quit and same as Final Cut Express 4.0 when I'm using "log and transfer". any idea ? Is it related to Chipset Model ? In system profile, the Chipset Model in Graphics/Display is "I can Has Model ? "

Attached with my screen captue from my Hackintosh..

post-26479-1235063149_thumb.png

I had the Quicktime/iTunes lag and stutter issue and found a solution for it. It appears to be a gpu issue with a kext in the current Quicktime. All you need to do is add a kext disabler file using kext helper b7, and then reboot. Worked fine for me.

Here is the link about the disabler kext:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00#entry1075673

Hope this helps those with stutter/lag issues.

Hey nem,

thanks for the hint with the kext. I will try this.

I don't use the onboard card, so I am lucky ;)

@chrilled

...I have a question: When do I need the "modified OSInstall.mpkg" method (also posted by Signal)? He wrote his modified file removes a hardware check. Where is this hardware check? First time booting the hack? During installation?

Cheers

wanky

You need to do this when you are installing a real Mac OS Distro on an unsupported system (Like a Hackintosh, a different model than the disc is made for, a machine that doesn't meet the minimum specs, etc.) I originally learned how to do this when I wanted to install Leopard on a couple of old G4 systems I have and the installer would refuse to run.

It is fairly easy to do. Basically there's a script in the OSInstall.mpkg (Distribution.dist, I think) that runs every time you use the installer and compares what it can find out from the machine against the "rules" that Apple set out for the installation. Thinks like: Is this really a powerbook? (or did someone borrow a disc to his buddy with an iMac), is the CPU at least 887 Mhz? (or are you trying to intstall Lepoard on an old-ass G4), etc.

All you need to do is learn how to unpack the code, read the file, and see where you need to make changes. The code is very clean and well commented so you can see where you need to make changes. Save your changes to Distribution.dist, repack the file so you have your own OSInstall.mpkg and then run it.

Apple DVD's are set up to make the machine reboot and start from the DVD, and run OSInstall.mpkg by default --which isn't going to work for you for an install on a hackintosh. Fortunately you don't really need to do this unless you are trying to install OS X on the drive you booted from -- just run OSInstall.mpkg by invoking it from the terminal and you're good to go.

Note the easiest way I've found to do this is to clone the install DVD to a USB drive or other kind of external HD with Carbon Copy Cloner so you don't have to keep burning Dual Layer DVD's if your edits to Distribution.dist doesn't work.

This information is all over the net -- here's one place to look http://www.seanrees.com/2007/11/03/leopard-on-old-hardware/

Good luck