Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

1) This is a gigabyte thread. There is a thread for the Asus. Discuss that board there and leave this thread dedicated to the GA board so that we can rely on it to solve the problems of GA board without more confusion than necessary.

MaaseyRacer has an 8GB install but he also has 8800 GT card installed. netcastle has an 4GB install, but is using on-board video. Both have >=4GB but their configs are different.

2) To the quote above read my sig.

Hey DiaboliK,

It doesn't seem to have to do with the BIOS. I just finished reading http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127611 and slashack (and others?) re-wrote kexts to be able to address the 64 bit space, instead of the 32 bit space that caused crashes over 2.5/3GB of RAM. It seems the issue is solved now. Or am I misunderstanding? I don't think I am, but I am not 100% sure, as this thread has been mentioned here before.

The kexts are here:

http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/downloads/list

I'm just sayin'..

Edit: Fixed link

3) These kexts are necessary for enabling more than two gigs when using PCIE video like in other nvida chipset boards. It does not solve the onboard memory allocation problem (I tried). As -D- mentioned, it's probably a dsdt issue. Hopefully we will see a fix in SL.

-Edited because my original post might have been a little harsher than I realized :thumbsup_anim:

Good catch, Netcastle. I goofed. Twice. ;)

Now what do I do with the 4GB of RAM if I get the Gigabyte? :D

I am committed now, I have most everything ordered, but the board and the power supply. I really want the 9400 chipset, but I want this to be an operational HTPC more than a hobby.

More than anything I was undecided about the case. I finally went with the Lian Li 351:

v351bmain.jpg

Can anybody help me?

I built a box with the E7AUM-DS2H and 2 GB of RAM. It works great.

It's plugged into my TV via HDMI. Since HDMI audio doesn't work, I send analog stereo Line Out to the TV from the green connector.

THE PROBLEM: The analog stereo audio output is very faint; I need to turn the volume on the TV up very high. Does anybody else have this problem; is there a different KEXT I should try? (Sorry, I don't know how to report the KEXT version that I have).

Thanks in advance!

THE PROBLEM: The analog stereo audio output is very faint; I need to turn the volume on the TV up very high. Does anybody else have this problem; is there a different KEXT I should try? (Sorry, I don't know how to report the KEXT version that I have).

I'm limited in my experience, but here are a few thoughts. First, can you increase the computer volume? I realize you may have done that already, but I have to ask. Second, can you use the optical out? Do you have an A/V receiver as well or just the TV?

I dont want to be rude by asking for something since Im not contributing myself (frankly, my programming skills are very limited in this context so I dont know how) but is anyone actively working with a rational strategy on solving the memory issues? I see many calling for a solution but is this going to be a fruitless waiting or is something going on?

Also, using only 2 gig I wonder, will I get better performance if I get two 1 gig ram modules instead of the single 2 gig ram module that I already bought?

Did you try signal64's solution earlier in this thread? You can get there from my sig.

I think i need some clarification, is there anyone having the RAM issue while using a seperate grafix card?

Sorry if it is in the thread, I've done my reading but could not find the answer.

Hi jocheim,

so I have a seperate graphics card (gf8600 GTS) and 4 GB Ram and no problems with RAM. Everything looks fine and works, but no sleep. (Seems to be a unique problem since other guys got it working, i.e. netcastle)

Cheers

wanky

Hello.

Sorry for possibly asking an already answered question in this thread but I'm wondering if this will work good:

Kundvagn

Artikel Pris Antal Summa

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H µATX/S775/LK 1 631 kr 1 631 kr Ta bort

320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3 503 kr 503 kr Ta bort

Corsair 2gb (KIT) DDR2 800MHz/CL5/X 341 kr 341 kr Ta bort

Intel® Core 2 Duo E7400 2,80GHz 3MB 1 393 kr 1 393 kr Ta bort

Lian Li Card-reader (50in1), silver 272 kr 272 kr Ta bort

Lian Li PC-V350 , Silver 935 kr 935 kr Ta bort

Corsair 400W CMPSU-400CXEU 560 kr 560 kr Ta bort

DVD±RW Optiarc AD-7200S-0S Silver 2 270 kr 270 kr Ta bort

Alla priser är inkl. moms Totalt: 5 905 kr

http://www.indomo.se/cart.php?session=fd2a...2407f678a67a487

I'm going to use it as my main comp + htpc so it would be nice to have both DVI and HDMI working at the same time.

It reminds me a lot of the internals of the new Macs, at least the core2duo and nvidia 9400 parts.

Unfortunately with the very low SEK rate (fall since economic crisis) It's very expensive to buy computer parts here so I'm trying constantly to find something cheaper. Currently I would primarily want to know how good this will work. I could build a similar AMD computer for much less. Still with this Intel build, It's cheaper than buying the new Mac Mini.

Currently none of my computers can even install OSX correctly (ideneb, ipc, xxx). I only have AMD.

I'm interested in 10.5.6 with far less trouble than my amd computers (nforce and 780G). I haven't had anything Intel since the P4 days (except my Axim X50V with PXA ARM).

The DVD burner will probably be bought from another place as I prefer the DVR-216.

Hi jocheim,

so I have a seperate graphics card (gf8600 GTS) and 4 GB Ram and no problems with RAM. Everything looks fine and works, but no sleep. (Seems to be a unique problem since other guys got it working, i.e. netcastle)

Cheers

wanky

I have it working but I had to use the kexts I link to in my sig to get it stable with 4 gigs. Have you tried running this file from osxnoob which we used a long time ago in this thread to test ram stability.

OK, so I might be fine if I'm using a seperate grafix card. But what use is it then to buy this specific card opposed to say the asus p5n7a-vm, with the GeForce 9300? Or another cheaper card with better stability in OSX?

I have it working but I had to use the kexts I link to in my sig to get it stable with 4 gigs. Have you tried running this file from osxnoob which we used a long time ago in this thread to test ram stability.

Hi netcastle,

thanks for the hint. So after using the memtest it seems that I HAVE a problem with my RAM.

Some lines form the log:

malloced meg 3505, res 0xffc00000
malloced meg 3506, res 0xffd00000
memtest(190) malloc: *** mmap(size=1048576) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
malloc meg 3507 failed
malloc meg 3508 failed
malloc meg 8191 failed

That could explain my sleep issue. But I don't know how to solve this :rolleyes:. I tried the JJMicronATA.kext from your link but this didn't help. Actually I am only using S-ATA drives (HD & DVD) and disabled IDE in BIOS (so as far as I understood JMicronATA is for IDE).

I also tried to add these lines in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>maxmem=3456</string> 
</dict>
</plist>

but no success.

I am happy and thankful for any suggestions.

Cheers

wanky

Netcastle,

Did you use boot-123 to do your retail install? I've been trying a boot ISO I used on a different board and 10.5.6 refuses to install on the sata disk. Do I have to put the ahci kext from the discussion on your sig into the extra folders? Anything else.

TIA

Hi netcastle,

thanks for the hint. So after using the memtest it seems that I HAVE a problem with my RAM.

Some lines form the log:

malloced meg 3505, res 0xffc00000
malloced meg 3506, res 0xffd00000
malloc meg 3507 failed
malloc meg 3508 failed
malloc meg 8191 failed

I get those errors also, but if it does not cause a kernel panic then don't worry about it. I was getting KP's when doing anything intensive even when using the pcie graphics until I installed the 64 bit kexts in linked to in my sig. Another way you can test stability is to try and copy a large file(s) across hard drives, or render something in handbrake. Parallels will also do it.

I actually am using both IDE and SATA drives without any issues.

Netcastle,

Did you use boot-123 to do your retail install? I've been trying a boot ISO I used on a different board and 10.5.6 refuses to install on the sata disk. Do I have to put the ahci kext from the discussion on your sig into the extra folders? Anything else.

TIA

No, I installed from an existing installation using osinstall.mpkg.

For those who want a modified BIOS :

It does NOT fix the 2GB+ RAM problem but it is patched for HPET, RTC and HDAEnabler (from Signal64) and I added 9400 GFX support (NVKush not needed anymore).

I tested it and it works.

I might try to understand 4GB problem.

Hi koalala,

what did you modify in the Bios? Do other OSs still boot normaly (Vista)? I am a little bit afraid to flash the Bios because I don't want a brick :wacko:.

Cheers

wanky

Resume from Sleep?

I now have this board 99% working using vanilla 10.5.6, ALC889a hda kexts, the DSDT.aml from this thread, and IOAHCIfamilty kexts.

Has anyone gotten resume from sleep working? I've tried SuperHai's sleepenabler and the 10.5.5 IOUSBfamily kext as per other discussions on getting sleep working after 10.5.6 upgrades. I can go into sleep and then the power button appears to start the ball rolling again but the screen never wakes up.

TIA,

Dlach

I only modified DSDT in BIOS (so you can also just put dsdt.aml in the root of your partition, extract it from the BIOS I posted with Beta 4 of my patcher if you don't want to flash).

It doesn't fix audio/ethernet after sleep.

Hi koalala,

what did you modify in the Bios? Do other OSs still boot normaly (Vista)? I am a little bit afraid to flash the Bios because I don't want a brick ;) .

Cheers

wanky

I flashed it and it works. Just put the file on a USB stick and hit F8 in your BIOS to start Q-Flash.

Unless you don't turn off your pc while doing it, there is pretty much no risk of getting a brick.

Oh and thanks@koalala

st

I want to say thanks to you all. (especially Signal64, DiaboliK, netcastle, stan78)

Maybe is it just me, but having a hackintosh in front of you makes this thread more meaningful and understandable. I read it several times, and it never made as much sense as when I could actually try this out. I did most of this while I had a cold and I may have made a few errors in my recollection.

My setup:

E7AUM-DS2H

2 GB DDR 800 RAM

2.5GHz E5200

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB SATA

Lian Li PC-351

Thermaltake 500W PS

Samsung SATA DVD

So here is where I am. I have a functional 10.5.6 build running off an external USB HD. I used a MBP restore disk from a friend (the nicest laptop I have seen) and partitioned the USB HD in 2 partitions. I used the MBP restore to one partition. I swapped out the OSInstall.mpkg (in Signal64's post #204) and I installed on the 2nd partition. I updated to 10.5.6 on the 2nd partition and I used UInstaller to set the timeout to 8 seconds, made my resolution to 1024 x 768, the Chameleon PC_EFI v9, the EFI Time machine fix. The Time Machine fix never worked for me. I always got an error message. I installed Signal64's DSDT too. I booted into safe mode ( - x) and I installed NVKush and the kexts from grub-dfe.iso using Kext Helper b7. I rebooted and it hung at the AppleACPIPlatform.kext , so I used the kexts from Signal64 (7301_ACHI.zip). At that time, I was careless in adding some kexts and it crashed on startup. DialboliK corrected my screw up, as I installed dsmos.kext and AppleDecrypt.kext. You need one or the other. I fixed that and it booted fine. I installed the audio fix that stan78 posted, which worked fine.

Sleep works, audio works, shutdown works, but restart doesn't. I have 2GB RAM installed, I haven't even tried 4GB and I hope that we'll have a fix so I can install the rest, though I don't think I really need it. I have no QT issues, HD plays really well, Plex runs smooth, flawless really. I have a Linksys USB wireless that works well, but only after plugging in after booting or unplug/replug. It is running via the RALink RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext. Bluetooth runs perfectly, so far running a BT mouse/keyboard.

I cloned the USB HD using CCC and SUperDuper! and it simply will not boot. The root shows it isn't a boot drive, the icons give that away, without looking anywhere else. I haven't been able to install to the internal HD, I don't know why, but it simply will not boot. It hangs endlessly in BIOS, something I believe that netcastle and Signal64 both experienced. Since my external USB is a 2.5 and IDE, I can't use it to format my 1TB SATA. I have a USB/SATA enclosure that I am going to use tonight to install to and hopefully, that will get me booting properly.

A few issue that are bugging me: I can't update the BIOS with a USB flash drive. I wiped it, installed FAT32, but the MB will not see it. So, I am behind 1 revision on the E7AUM. I am borrowing another USB flash drive to see if it doesn't like the brand. The wireless USB work, but I have to do the unplug/replug thing. Once this is installed as the HTPC, that isn't goingto work for me, but I will probably use ethernet. I'm expecting that I'll have the WOL issue, which sucks, as I want to be able to access my HTPC remotely. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Overall, I am quite happy with how things have progressed. There were a few days of frustration, but I hope the worst is behind me.

That's all for now. Again thanks to the many of you that helped get me this far.

Koala- If you can solve the 4GB issue that would be fantastic!

Eastwind, a lot of people tried before and nobody find a solution. So don't really hope...

For BIOS flashing, you need to enable Legacy USB Storage or something like that in the BIOS.

For restart you need OpenHalRestart.kext from Psystar.

And resume from sleep work for everybody, but there is no more sound or onboard lan when resuming. (personnaly I use a PCI Wifi WMP54GS v1.1 which is perfectly working after resuming and recognized as 3rd party airport card (Broadcom chipset) without modifications)