Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

A few questions:

How do you guys think the E7AUM DS2H will handle the following?:

* Stuff in a 1U/2U rackmount case

* 8GB RAM

* Core2Quad

Also, I've seen a few slightly different install methods. Which is working the best for the above config (or w/less RAM)?

Thanks,

if your planning to use the onboard gfx id get the asus p5n7a-vm rather than this gigabyte because of the over 2gb crashing issue with onboard gfx enabled.

-D-

( yes i have an asus p5n7a-vm in a 1u omaura tf-5, let me tell ya 1u is a pain to get parts for, atleast good parts )

if your planning to use the onboard gfx id get the asus p5n7a-vm rather than this gigabyte because of the over 2gb crashing issue with onboard gfx enabled.

-D-

( yes i have an asus p5n7a-vm in a 1u omaura tf-5, let me tell ya 1u is a pain to get parts for, atleast good parts )

Thanks for the feedback. And you caught the other question I meant to ask. (Does the >=4GB RAM issue have to do w/the on-board video on the E7AUM-DS2H?)

:)

I believe it does. (because I have read this thread).

where-am-i.gif

MaaseyRacer has an 8GB install but he also has 8800 GT card installed. netcastle has an 4GB install, but is using on-board video. Both have >=4GB but their configs are different. There was mention of the ASUS board respectfully pushing the address for the vid memory higher when more RAM is installed while the Gigabyte doesn't mimic this behavior. There was mention of a new BIOS on 3/6 but it seems that no one is holding their breath for it being a fix for the >=4GB issue. And no one has gone out on the limb to say whether this behavior is chipset, BIOS, or video chipset related.

MaaseyRacer has an 8GB install but he also has 8800 GT card installed. netcastle has an 4GB install, but is using on-board video. Both have >=4GB but their configs are different. There was mention of the ASUS board respectfully pushing the address for the vid memory higher when more RAM is installed while the Gigabyte doesn't mimic this behavior. There was mention of a new BIOS on 3/6 but it seems that no one is holding their breath for it being a fix for the >=4GB issue. And no one has gone out on the limb to say whether this behavior is chipset, BIOS, or video chipset related.

no one reads these days it seems. its in the bios which has the wrong memory allocations. (can be fixed by dsdt if you want to figure it out)

if you want to use >2Gb and onboard gfx easily go with the asus.

-D-

no one reads these days it seems.

Hey DiaboliK,

It doesn't seem to have to do with the BIOS. I just finished reading http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127611 and slashack (and others?) re-wrote kexts to be able to address the 64 bit space, instead of the 32 bit space that caused crashes over 2.5/3GB of RAM. It seems the issue is solved now. Or am I misunderstanding? I don't think I am, but I am not 100% sure, as this thread has been mentioned here before.

The kexts are here:

http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/downloads/list

I'm just sayin'..

Edit: Fixed link

Quick update. I am now having memory issues (took me long enough). I have gone back to a GA-EP45-UD3R, until I can figure out what to do with this board. 2GB of RAM is the bare minimum any mac should have. I have almost given up on this board, and I am thinking about getting the ASUS board, but I think this board has more potential.

It is really too bad, as this is the first board I have used where you really feel you have all the comforts of owning a mac (although I could not get my d-link N wifi cards to work). Keyboard wake from sleep worked, on board video worked flawlessly, as did my 9800GTX+. Only complaints were the memory issue. Does anyone know if keyboard wake from sleep works on the ASUS board?

Quick update. I am now having memory issues (took me long enough). I have gone back to a GA-EP45-UD3R, until I can figure out what to do with this board. 2GB of RAM is the bare minimum any mac should have. [snip]

Did you check out my post above and try the kexts that solved the memory issues for a lot of people using > 2GB?

I hope it helps.

yes all bells and whistles work on the asus

-D-

I had my mind set on the Gigabyte as an HTPC, but now I am seriously looking at going with the Asus P5N7A-VM. The same board it looks to be the same spec for spec. What isn't working on it? Any downsides?

I had my mind set on the Gigabyte as an HTPC, but now I am seriously looking at going with the Asus P5N7A-VM. The same board it looks to be the same spec for spec. What isn't working on it? Any downsides?

Well, the ASUS lacks FireWire and has a slower graphics accelerator.

Well, the ASUS lacks FireWire and has a slower graphics accelerator.

and thats it, when you set the iGPU OC to 650/1500 then you get the max out of the 9300 on the asus (21k score in openmark, any higher oc setting you get crashing and garbling)

-D-

*sidenote*

I have flashed the gpu rom in my asus p5n7a-vm to the nvidia quadro fx 470 rom (essentially running the 9400's rom, but in quadro form)

with the flash i get richer colors and better gpu performance.

Which makes the Asus kind of tempting. A pcie Firewire card and it's about the same board. I've read enough that I now know the Gigabyte runs everything that I need, but I would have to install a few kexts. They are within a few dollars of each other too. Well, I have to buy one in the next few days.

Maybe a coin toss?

The Asus lacking firewire, really makes that board less desirable. I am starting to look into the kext suggestion someone made earlier of writing a Kext that reallocates memory. Also does anyone know why Wireless N cards cause Kernel Panics with this board?

I am starting to look into the kext suggestion someone made earlier of writing a Kext that reallocates memory.

That was me. Slashack was one of the people that helped diagnose and wrote 64 bit addressing kexts in that thread. If you take the time to read the whole thread, you'll see how tirelessly slashack worked, helping people and testing and diagnosing the issue. You'll also see it's like DiaboliK said, people don't read. If you are going to use the kexts he wrote, don't use the DEBUG kexts. It doesn't hurt to use them, but there is a lot of reporting that comes across the screen and several people kept asking why that was. Just use the standard kexts.

Good luck.

just think of it like the new unibody macbooks, sure you lose firewire but its still the just about the same.

Ha, nice. Does the same install process/compatibility apply for the XFX MI93007 AS9 or the EVGA 113-YW-E115-TR LGA? I am seeing a bunch of NVIDIA 9000 series board out there now.

Ha, nice. Does the same install process apply for the XFX MI93007 AS9 or the EVGA 113-YW-E115-TR LGA? I am seeing a bunch of NVIDIA 9000 series board out there now.

the xfx is good. i dont kno about the evga but your welcome to try, same install process but different dsdt and audio but thats pretty much it.