Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Managed to get 10.5.5 up and running on my GA-E7AUM-DS2H board as well, using the unibody MacBook restore disc and the OSInstall.mpkg method.

I had to add various kexts to get it to boot properly (specifically I think dsmos.kext was the one that made it work). I still get the crackling sound when it initializes the audio output and my entire system seems to pause for a few hundred milliseconds at random intervals whenever there's active audio playback.

I haven't mucked with the AppleHDA, HDAEnabler, or AppleSMBIOS kexts yet, so I'm gonna try playing with the ones that Lokoh linked to in post #274 and see if they fix my issues.

I have got Leopard (10.5.5/10.5.6) running on my E7AUM mobo for about 2 weeks w/ Signal64's dsdt v2 file and patched unibody restore dvd. Everything works smoothly except the audio not being able to get multichannel optical output to my receiver. Tried Fusion and Parallels to install XP 32-bit, 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7(only on Fusion), no major issue except my Panasonic skype adaptor utility is not stable on Fusion (OK on my real mac) despite the version of windows which I haven't figure out what the actual problem to be.

While most people choose to stay away from over 2GB ram, I do find to get a dedicated graphic card take over the integrated 9400 is an alternative if you do need 4GB or more memory in some cases like me. I didn't try Hybrid SLI yet since I would assume the 2GB barrier would probably come back in that way...

I also have very short freezes whenever playing audio or video and it suddenly was very clear that it's QuickTime which is generating these, When quicktime is not running there are no problems so I use VLC for all media playing and have no more system freezing..

Apply the OSInstall.mpkg I posted earlier (removes model check) to the restore disc, boot the restoredisc on the macbook, restore to the usb drive.

THEN apply chameleon, dsdt.aml, etc on the usb drive after you've restored to it.

So the initial enthusiam for this as the super OSX board is waning? It seems to have a few bugs and to be honest I (and perhaps others?) was looking for an "Idiots Guide to Installing OSX".

Is there a better board than this?

This board lacks the ability to support greater than 2 gigs of ram. Otherwise, it seems pretty useable thanks to the smart people that have worked on it in this thread for the last two months. The unfortunate thing is that the whole idea of a hack is to be able to build an insanely powerful os x machine without paying thousands for it. This means being able to have a lot of ram. Hopefully this issue will be resolved, though it looks as though gigabyte will have to be the one to do it.

If you want to build a hack, in my experience, you are best going to the 10.5 installation section of this forum and getting the same parts that others who are running os x have and do what they are doing. Or check out the asus 9300 thread in this forum and see what they are doing.

Hello,

I recently installed 10.5.6 IPC with this board and it works like a charme. The only thing which is not working is the ethernet. Any chance to get the right kext?

Thanks

wanky

what options (all of them) did you select (inc the LAN option) and we can see if we can spot an error?

I just recieved my Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H board and had a friend clone his drive from a unibody MB. It's booting using a BOOT132 usb drive. At this point the NIC and Audio are inop and the video is very poor (slow refresh). I have tried the nforce kexts with no luck for the NIC. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the work on this board.

what options (all of them) did you select (inc the LAN option) and we can see if we can spot an error?

Hi Methanoid,

thanks for the reply. I tried a lot of options actually. So my LAN is working out of the box, if I don't select any LAN driver. I got audio working with those kexts: ALC889A_1056_fix.zip.

What is still not working is sleep mode. But somebody told me, there is a solution in this thread. So I will look for that.

What Video Kext do you choose ? Use nvinject 0.2.1 or NVKush ?

Graphics are working. I think I tried all possible options during install for nvidia. I tried nvkush. QE/CI is working. But it gets the onboard wrong. It seems to work with NVdarwin.

My setting is the onboard g9400 and a g8600GTS.

Do I need the nForce drivers for the mainbaord :) ?

Cheers

wanky

Hey all. So I have some good news....

-Nvidia 9400 works 100% QE/CI. Only tested via DVI so far.

-Ethernet works oob and has proper bonjour/afp sharing support

-firewire works oob

-ahci working oob, but with device id added to ahci kext info you get info in sys profiler (picture below)

-Vanilla kernel works (from macbook restore disc)

-Sleep works and even wakes using usb keyboard on S3.

picture1mz4.png

More info to come soon. Of course you'll need a macbook/macbookpro unibody restore disc as of now.

Thanks to Signal64 for testing this stuff out for the curious crowd. ;)

-Stell

Hi Stell,

How did you find the device ID for the AHCI controller?

Hi guys, I'm a newbie in the hackintosh scene (this forum included)...

I've just bought, here in Italy, an Asus P5K pro mobo, and I was wondering how I could install my EN9400GT silent (http://www.digital.it/prodotti/S5801098/asus-en9400gt-silenthtp.html) in order to use Leopard under a "graphically decent" point of view.

I've downloaded such distros as iDeneb, Kaliway and Leo4all... which one do you suggest me to install?

I've read that both Kaliway and Leo4all are good for my mobo. But what about the graphic card?

Thanks,

Sam

Hoo.. I almost forgot that:

what if I install everything apart from the graphics card, and then letting the Nvidia official site finding the proper drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) clicking on "Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products."?

Might this work?

Thanks again,

Sam again.

You could do that, but it'll tell you that your system is unsupported, because nVidia doesn't distribute OS X drivers, and neither does ATI. The only way to get official drivers is from an Apple OS X install disc. You could also "steal" them from any Mac in an Apple Store with a USB Flash drive...

This is what i want to build http://pastebin.com/m6cf58797

I already have the harddrive, which is currently in a vista computer.

What is the step by step process of installing this (I've read the entire thread, and am just more confused)(first time osx86)

I hate to be a downer, but don't make this your first board. There are some really good builds around here that work 100% and won't leave you banging your head against a wall, especially if this thread has left you confused. But, if you are determined, find the NoPE install (in the usual places) and start there. I have tried both iPC and NoPE and the NoPE works better for me. Just remember that no one here has been able to verify that more than 2 gigs of RAM works.

To anyone out there that intends to use this as an HTPC, what is your experience running this at 1920 by 1080. I am not having good luck. This thing (with 2gigs RAM and a 2.4gig C2D) plays h264 MKV's smooth as butter at lower resolutions, but not at 1920. Funny thing is that my C2D mini plays 1920 by 1080 perfectly. If that can do it, this board has to be able to.

thanks for the comment netcastle, I wanted to use that board because i thought it would have 100% compatability. Compatability is my main concern, and FYI I plan to use photoshop (work with 1.5gb files) and some maya/3ds max (dont need high performance). Where can I find these really good builds?

Thanks, and so far this community rivals ubuntus!

Not sure anyone noticed. Apple recently release 10.5.6 on retail DVD.

I ordered it but in the meantime downloaded and tested a Mac Box Set retail version and it works fine.

What this means is you can forgo the UAMB Restore DVD for a native install with boot-132 on the Gigabyte board.

So, it seems to me after reading the whole 17 pages of this thread (again) that this still is NOT the universal panacea for Hackintoshers out there.

The board is flawed (BIOS?) with its use of over 2gb Ram

The install procedure isn't really finalised yet (no criticism but I sense it needs more work to be able to produce a simple guide to tell someone to go get files A, B and C and install using program D, E and F)

There are still some issues (it doesnt sleep properly).

Pity, cos I wouldnt mind spending extra on a premium cost mobo if it worked OSX reliably.

So, it seems to me after reading the whole 17 pages of this thread (again) that this still is NOT the universal panacea for Hackintoshers out there.

The board is flawed (BIOS?) with its use of over 2gb Ram

The install procedure isn't really finalised yet (no criticism but I sense it needs more work to be able to produce a simple guide to tell someone to go get files A, B and C and install using program D, E and F)

There are still some issues (it doesnt sleep properly).

Pity, cos I wouldnt mind spending extra on a premium cost mobo if it worked OSX reliably.

+1... I spent most the day reading this thread hoping I'd see great solutions. Now I'm back to trying to find a good HTPC board. Keep up the good work guys. You'll get there. I wish I had time to get back into the development of osx86... too much work.. not enough time ;)