Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Are you f**king kidding me? I read 20 damn pages to see that I can't use this board to make a HTPC?

I'd prefer you all just kick me in the nuts. Simultaneously.

I hope things aren't over, but regardless, much thanks to those that tested and worked hard to get the results you did.

Are you f**king kidding me? I read 20 damn pages to see that I can't use this board to make a HTPC?

I hope things aren't over, but regardless, much thanks to those that tested and worked hard to get the results you did.

use this one, ram will work, sound works optical, line out and headphones

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=240

its the memory mappings in the bios/dsdt thats causing the >2Gb crashes

(2nd time i've said it now)

-D-

Ok, lets look at the dsdt as its the only place that we can change things (i.e. bios wont work ). Apparently the dsdt works on other mainboards with the same chip.

As signal pointed out the memory is maped in unprotected memory someware in the ficinity of 3.2g.

As i'm spooiled with BSD, can some one point out with program to use to find the memory mappings of osx ( i.e. console program ).

Sure you can. It will work fine. You don't need more than 2 gigs for an htpc.

Hey D... with the p5n7avm, can I install the retail disk with the Boot 132 method as I did with the E7AUM board?

same install method but different dsdt.aml to use. basically thats the only install difference

-D-

use this one, ram will work, sound works optical, line out and headphones

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=240

Thanks for the suggestion. I was really hoping to use the Gigabyte considering the success across several of their MBs and the general compatibility so far. With the news of Apple expanding the use of the Nvidia 9400, I thought that this would be a good board as well.

I liked the size of the board and all the outputs, most especially, the HDMI. I want to make a combo HTPC and general desktop. I guess I'll have to wait for progress on this board, switch to the Asus you liked to or go for a bigger board like the UD3P, because I like the Gigabyte boards. I'm also torn a bit, as I want to build with a as good of a possibility of running 10.6 as possible.

Ive read this thread but I am a super-rookie in the hackingtosh world so I dont know if I got everything. Anyway, Im building a case for the computer in acrylic glass which is going to be... custom made for the board I choose so I would prefer not to have to change board. I bought the gigabyte some while ago but I dont know if Im going to keep that or go for the asus.

Is the only difference now, in terms of compatibility between the gigabyte and the asus the limitation to 2 gig for the gigabyte? For me this wont matter, since Ill use it as a HTPC. But if there are any more differences someone please tell me.

// Mr Rookie...

I'd say save the money and go with your gigabyte board.

I have this board running as a plex media center, usenet client and small server.

It has everything I want and works perfectly with 2GB - except for two things that I'd like

to see improved:

1) HDMI Audio

2) Wake on LAN

I don't know if the Asus board can do this though.

st

Ive read this thread but I am a super-rookie in the hackingtosh world so I dont know if I got everything. Anyway, Im building a case for the computer in acrylic glass which is going to be... custom made for the board I choose so I would prefer not to have to change board. I bought the gigabyte some while ago but I dont know if Im going to keep that or go for the asus.

Is the only difference now, in terms of compatibility between the gigabyte and the asus the limitation to 2 gig for the gigabyte? For me this wont matter, since Ill use it as a HTPC. But if there are any more differences someone please tell me.

// Mr Rookie...

I have this board running as a plex media center, usenet client and small server.

It has everything I want and works perfectly with 2GB - except for two things that I'd like

to see improved:

1) HDMI Audio

2) Wake on LAN

st

Thank you for your reply. Another thing that I forgot, could anyone please recommend a wireless network card that works with this board and Os X ?

Thank you for your reply. Another thing that I forgot, could anyone please recommend a wireless network card that works with this board and Os X ?

Hi,

If I can help you, I use a DLink DWL-G122 usb wifi card, compatible with Mac/Windows/linux and it's work perfectly.

to see improved:

1) HDMI Audio

2) Wake on LAN

st

Stan - just to contribute to the weirdness.... mine actually wakes on LAN, but then the ethernet interface fails to work from that point. Found this out when I accidentally pushed the Sleep button in Plex.

2 GB seems to be just fine for a HTPC, plays HD content well, I'm also using MAME (note crashes without latest audio driver from Signa64), torrents, transcoding video with FFmpegX, etc.

This would be a really decent HTPC if/when the network driver gets sorted out. I have a 10/100 USB ethernet dongle (trendnet) that the system recognizes... I may test it to see if the system sleeps / wakes with it. Although it woudl be a 10x speed hit on the network.

@Signal64

Have you had success yet with full audio on the 730i mobo's?

I am reading this thread for the first time ... and have tried for over 6 weeks to get AppleHDA audio working on my 730i, no luck no matter what i have tried, other than Azalia out only ...

thanks in advance

I've had some questions on my version 1 AML I provided for the E7AUM-DS2H Gigabyte. You can decompile it just like you do the dump from linux to check it out.

iasl -d DSDT.aml

I registered, or have been trying to anyways, solely to re-iterate how funny this was, because I pretty much thought the same thing. And funny enough after clicking page 21 and seeing this as the ONLY post on that page, it cracked me up.

Okay now back to business...

I think if it's possible to allow others to edit the sticky at the top of the thread, and if someone does something funny, BANHAMMER them. It would make following where the status of this is, much easier.

I just sourced this MOBO, after finding out the specs of the newly released mac mini. My sole effort, is to try and build a mac mini killer, for less. Right now this MOBO seems to be the holy grail of just that. I agree the Asus seems to be on spec with this mobo, but as someone who uses and has many a firewire device, having a firewire card to go to as an alternative, or having this board with firewire working would be much better, especially since it has the 9400 on it.

My point was to try and eleviate any naysayers saying, "Oh well that's just a 9300, my mac mini is still better". I want to have the only thing they can say, be the actual form factor, and the looks, just to prove a point.

As I see it I can build a mac mini ass-hand-plater killer for around $500, (which would include a case, that is a little more expensive, but matches other devices I have sitting next to my tv, as well as tax and shipping). Now that machine would actually be more on par with a mac mini that's had more memory and a much bigger hard drive added to it, not even just the more expensive mac mini. Even only adding the 2.26Ghz CPU you are talking $750 OTA, with 1GB of ram and a 160HD, you gotta install those upgrades after the fact, and pay for them.

Specs (newegg prices, as of 3/6/09):

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H - $120

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz (2.2 is the same price) - $120

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) - $45

nMediaPC Case - $90

Athena 250W PSU - $21

Seagate 500GB HD - $65

Lite-On DVD Burner - $21 (not sure if this one will work)

Okay so it's only $100 less than a base mac mini, but way more storage, way more ram, way more CPU, way more I/O, way more expansion, and a case that looks like my STB, and my blu-ray player.

I don't need to make the case for you guys, but it's obvious there is a HUGE point to be made here!

The core of the 2GB limit is the memory sharing, as I have only tinkered with iDeneb, what would it take to lock that down, and make sure it sticks below that 3.2GB mark? Being able to have 4GB's or MORE is really key, IMHO.

As I understand it, these are the unresolved issues with this MOBO:

- 2GB memory limit cap, because of shared video memory issues

- Sound? Sound via HDMI? Optical out?

- Dual Head HDMI+DVI out

- Network @1Gbps

- Sleep/Wake and issues related to Network/Sound

Please feel free to call me a newb, and tell me to go away :wacko: I am happy being in the stands.

Specs (newegg prices, as of 3/6/09):

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H - $120

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz (2.2 is the same price) - $120

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) - $45

nMediaPC Case - $90

Athena 250W PSU - $21

Seagate 500GB HD - $65

Lite-On DVD Burner - $21 (not sure if this one will work)

You forgot:

MacOS 10.5.6 - $110

Apple iLife - $90

Makes it more expensive ;)

Ok, seriously this time

The core of the 2GB limit is the memory sharing, as I have only tinkered with iDeneb, what would it take to lock that down, and make sure it sticks below that 3.2GB mark? Being able to have 4GB's or MORE is really key, IMHO.

As I understand it, these are the unresolved issues with this MOBO:

- 2GB memory limit cap, because of shared video memory issues

- Sound? Sound via HDMI? Optical out?

- Dual Head HDMI+DVI out

- Network @1Gbps

- Sleep/Wake and issues related to Network/Sound

Sound works, optical out works. I would have burnt the board if spdif didn't work, trust me ;-)

Gbit Ethernet also worked for me while testing - I have it running on a 100mbit switch though at the moment.

Dual Head - no idea, but probably not.

I got rid of 99% of the audio/sleep issues (except for something called "fmickey driver...") when disabling hdmi audio support in bios. I have a new audio kext now but haven't tried to turn on hdmi audio yet... wonder what will happen.

Oh and one more thing - don't forget a good cpu cooler in your hardware list. Most of the bigger ones will work passively if you got a good airflow in your case.

st

Thank you for your suggestion, I might try it out, but I prefer a PCI card.. someone?

I have used the following Wireless PCI cards very successfully on different versions of osx from 10.5.2-10.5.6 the Asus WL-138G v2, D-Link DWA-547 Wireless N card 35 quid from ebuyer and also a Belkin F5d7001uk (HSM) wireless G.

Take your pick as they all work OOB 'No drivers needed' as they show up on installation as internal apple airport.

You forgot:

MacOS 10.5.6 - $110

Apple iLife - $90

Makes it more expensive :(

touche, considering that you can't even get a mac mini with a 2.8ghz CPU, or up to 16GB's of ram, the expandability, kind of blows the mini out of the water.

and to splintah:

Re: the case, I am open to alternatives, even for a little more price. The TV stand I have is black, with glass shelves, and the TV I have is acrylic black, and the Blu-ray player I have is acrylic black. The case may be ugly, in comparison to a mac tower, or a mac mini, but sitting next to all my other equipment, I venture to guess it will stick out less than a dell tower sitting next to my tv (or some generic PC case, which I've seen), or even a mac mini.

Only cases I have seen that remotely look similar, to the styling/design of the mac industrial design, are lian li cases, and all of them are towers. The lian li xbox case is nice, but it's HUGE!, and I am pretty sure it doesn't contain the proper grommets for a run of the mill PC MOBO.

Either way I agree, but there are MUCH worse cases out there. I appreciate your sentiments, but I also made it clear, that would probably be the only argument people might have, regarding form factor and looks.

Okay back to the point, what about the 2GB cap? Anyway around that?

Dual Head I can live without, this will be connected to 1 HDMI video out source, either a video switch or directly to a TV. HDMI audio I can resolve, I different way, I am pretty sure.

Good to hear regarding optical sound, and gigE (it looks like some are offering compatible wifi cards to add to this, so that is good as well, although I can get network to this box other ways.)

Suggestion for the 2gig problem:

Write a kernel extention (kext), search for the video memory chunk in the memory mapper. Reallocate a 256/512MB chunk of (continues) memory. And mark it as protected.

Memory administration is done in a doubly linked list. So it should not be that hard. Great task for a starting kernel hacker.

Regards,

-X

I got rid of 99% of the audio/sleep issues (except for something called "fmickey driver...") when disabling hdmi audio support in bios.
Turn off HDMI audio in BIOS? Thanks, I'll try that.

My television has four HDMI inputs, one of which supports secondary audio (stereo or optical). I plugged in stereo from the green audio output jack to the television. Audio works, unfortunately, its level is extremely low. I can turn the TV volume up WAY high and it works, but this is not a good solution. I don't know if there's a TV setting I can try, or else I'll try optical and see if its better. I'm confident this issue is fixable.

The other issues are so minor I don't care -- the wrong system info is displayed, I can't sleep or restart (so I shut down, big deal). This system has been stable for me. It has never frozen or crashed.

I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (which, together, cost more than the whole computer!). I purchased a USB Bluetooth dongle made by IOGear. It cost $20 and worked directly out of the box -- what I mean is, without any keyboard or mouse plugged in, I plugged the IOGear dongle in, the system booted and found my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse effortlessly, with no driver installation, no hacks, etc., "it just works."

A few questions:

How do you guys think the E7AUM DS2H will handle the following?:

* Stuff in a 1U/2U rackmount case

* 8GB RAM

* Core2Quad

Also, I've seen a few slightly different install methods. Which is working the best for the above config (or w/less RAM)?

Thanks,