Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Hello Metz71

I installed using leopard retail 10.5.0 disk.

I did the following steps (note: you need a any intel mac or a hackintosh and sata/ide to usb conector)

1. connect the hard drive to working mac usb port by using sata to usb connector.

2. install retail 10.5.0 to the usb connected hard drive.

3. boot from the newly installed os.

4. place following files in a folder in the new hard drive. - osx86 tools to install kexts and following kexts: AppleDecrypt.kext , Disabler.kext , dsmos.kext , IntelCPUPMDDisabler.kext, OpenHaltResatart.kext (I used these as they worked for me for my previous hackingtosh using intel atom330 board). For sound I used kexts from ALC889A_1056_fix.zip . For video I used NVkush.kext

5. I installed all these kexts using OSX86tools and after installing clicked all the options in the permission correction section. Note- do not restart the computer during these steps.

6. install Chamelian and made the efi partition active using terminal (see my previous post on this thread)

7. remove the disk and connect to the sata port of the motherboard. (remember to set sata to ACHI mode in bios) and boot.

I had been using my hackintosh and so far it had been very stable.

I'm back.

My system experience so far:

*Dual-screen with Samsung HDTV 1080p (HDMI) and LG 20" Wide Monitor 1680x1050 (VGA) is working good but not perfect. Extended desktop mode works well, but when you choose duplicate mode, the image is only shown on Samsung HDTV with desktop resolution set at 1680x1050 (The LG resolution); LG shows a black screen and you only see on that screen the cursor movement... ¿?¿?. Extrange thing. Does it happen to you, chrilled??

There is another annoying thing: when system finish loading OS X and sets every screen at the proper resolution for each one, there are times where the Dock stays in middle of desktop and not adapt to the new resolution. The trick that I use to fix that is change resolution on LG (Where I have set my main screen) to another and then go back to native resolution. Anyone know a better trick or fix for that problem, please?

*Digital sound (5.1) works flawless with SPDIF (of course, as people said before, always that you not go into sleep mode. If you do, when you come back the sound is gone until you reboot the system)

*Ethernet working also perfect (not after sleep with Apple drivers, as expected)

*HDD IDE where I have installed Windows XP and a spare partition are recognise well.

*Bluetooth (Parrot), SAI (Cyberpower), Logitech Quickcam (with macam drivers), external USB DVDRW Samsung, internal DVDRW Lite-ON, Logitech Keyboard and Mouse wireless... all working OK.

PROBLEMS:

*When I go to sleep, after 5 seconds or so my system wake up by itseft. Why could be that happening? I don't move mouse, neither press any key on my keyboard or do nothing. Even if I set in BIOS to OFF the option of "Wake up of sleep by usb-event", it still happen.

*No temperature or fans sensor (except for HDD) detected in any program (istat for example). There isn't solution for that?

*If I connect and external sata hdd through Gigabyte's ESATA port, sometimes I get the message of "bad disconnect device", as if I would have remove the drive from Mobo without unmount it before. If I connect the same HDD to an internal sata, then the problem it's gone. Does it happen anyone more?

*SATA details on "About that mac - more info" show "unknown ahci" on all 5 of them. Normal thing?

WORST PROBLEM:

Stability. In three days, I have had three system freezes, which is a really bad thing and something that worried a lot me:

*First time, I was converting a video with Visual Hub and all stop responding, you could move the cursor but nothing happens. Dock and Finder was totally K.O.. Even if you push apple+command+esc, the force exit window don't come up. Only solution was hard reset.

*Second time I don't remember how it was.

*Third time, two hours ago, seeing a video with Plex in background and surfing the net with Firefox, the system got freezed as 'First time'. The thing is that plex movie continue to play in background, but nothing in dock change (totally frozen, even the bars of activity monitor not change), and Finder idem. Yes, apple+command+esc does nothing. Another hard reset...

Now, after the third freeze, I have remove AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext that I installed for audio, and replace original AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleHDA.kext. I had read before in that post that there was and audio driver causing system inestability... maybe the one that I installed. We'll see now how it works :S. I want this computer to be my server for download things and to stream to another computers, so stability is crucial.

Thats all for now. Hope you people can help me with the problems, and that my experience installing the system help someone like metzz71, yet I only follow the steps that you can read through the whole post :P

*Dual-screen with Samsung HDTV 1080p (HDMI) and LG 20" Wide Monitor 1680x1050 (VGA) is working good but not perfect. Extended desktop mode works well, but when you choose duplicate mode, the image is only shown on Samsung HDTV with desktop resolution set at 1680x1050 (The LG resolution); LG shows a black screen and you only see on that screen the cursor movement... ¿?¿?. Extrange thing. Does it happen to you, chrilled??

Hi Lokoh!

<remove> Gratulations to a working system. </remove> :rolleyes:

I havn't experienced that problem to be honest. I'm running hdmi with 1080p on my tv plus a small 7" touchscreen with a max resolution of 1024x768 (or something.. only using 800x600 since higher is to small). Since I cant push that any further I cannnot mirror more than than resolution. I will boot again and test if I get any problems with black screen. Did you press detect displays after the resolution change? Did you check what resolution the monitor is recognizing? Just some ideas from the top of my head.

Update: LOL, just tested it again and got the same problem. Funny thing is that mirroring works when I rotate one of the screens to some extent. Sorry, I dont have a solution for you -unless you want to have one of the screens up-side-down. :)

1080p is quite a high resolution for an embedded 9400 IMO.

this should not be a problem even then gma950 can do alot more, i took a photo with my mobile to pose in front of my buddy. (notice, im using the dvi output card from the asrock board, so one is dvi and one is vga plugged.

post-110143-1232226660_thumb.jpg

Hi Lokoh!

Gratulations to a working system. :)

I havn't experienced that problem to be honest. I'm running hdmi with 1080p on my tv plus a small 7" touchscreen with a max resolution of 1024x768 (or something.. only using 800x600 since higher is to small). Since I cant push that any further I cannnot mirror more than than resolution. I will boot again and test if I get any problems with black screen. Did you press detect displays after the resolution change? Did you check what resolution the monitor is recognizing? Just some ideas from the top of my head.

Update: LOL, just tested it again and got the same problem. Funny thing is that mirroring works when I rotate one of the screens so some extent. Sorry, I dont have a solution for you -unless you want to have one of the screens up-side-down. :)

I have the same problem with mirroring on my other hackintosh with an nvidia GPU- both systems are running nvKush (although I tried EFI strings and it didn't make a difference), and I actually spoke with Diabolik about it awhile ago. I'm not sure what if anything happened as a result of that (i'm sure he's busy), but I would assume this to be a known issue in the hackintosh world. Maybe

thanks david077... I have tried booting using a couple different 132's... once I put in the retail disk, it appears to load kexts (which i assume are part of darwin installer 132) then it just reboots. That is with either sata drive, ide drive, or sata via usb. Do you have an iso of the 132 boot disk that worked for you? Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to most of this, but i'm trying...

1080p is quite a high resolution for an embedded 9400 IMO.

If you want it to play games: no doubt, but for simply desktop... I think it's no problem. A graphic that can decode by itself a bluray stream can handle 1080p for desktop resolution and even more. As eject said, even an old GMA950 do it without problems :) (I do with my Macbook).

Update: LOL, just tested it again and got the same problem. Funny thing is that mirroring works when I rotate one of the screens to some extent. Sorry, I dont have a solution for you -unless you want to have one of the screens up-side-down. smile.gif

Curious problem jeje. In reality actually I don't need mirrowing, in fact what I need is extended desktop working well and this is achieved (the only problem as commented before, is the dock sometimes no repositioning well).

In the meantime, OS X set my Monitor at 1360x768 as default resolution for the first time you plug in. I have to set

the native resolution of 1680x1050 after and then it always start up OS X with the correct resolution for LG.

thanks david077... I have tried booting using a couple different 132's... once I put in the retail disk, it appears to load kexts (which i assume are part of darwin installer 132) then it just reboots. That is with either sata drive, ide drive, or sata via usb. Do you have an iso of the 132 boot disk that worked for you? Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to most of this, but i'm trying...

I haven't tried 132 install method, sorry I can't help you. But as said by Diabolik and Signal64 before, I think the method that would give better results is a restore-dvd from Aluminium Macbook. There seems that iPCx86 also install on theses systems, but how well or bad it works I don't know. Maybe you should change strategy?

--------------------

Well, my system is not OK. Yesterday I had the four system-freeze. So to discard things, I installed OS X in another drive (an old IDE drive that works OK).

This time: Macbook Alu restore disk and with Universal OSx86 Installer put the following kexts: dsmos, disabler, AppleDecrypt, AppleSMBIOS, OpenHaltRestart, NVKush. And installed EFI v9.

I don't update to 10.5.6 as before, and hold on 10.5.5 at the moment. I left the computer all night downloading things an compressing some videos with VisualHub, but when I wake up I can't see the Desktop because the screen was on stand-by and the computer not respond to wake up it. So yes, that did the five system-freeze. And for sure, it was exactly as the other ones, with the colours-circle spining around, nothing responsive and the light of hard drive working in my computer ON. By the way, when I hard reset the computer and enter again in OS X, the videos were converted and the files downloaded. So the crash don't come up for Visual Hub or so...

It can't be a problem of Hard Drive. Neither audio-kexts because I don't installed nothing (I also had turned off HDMI-Audio in bios). Anyone can give me a clue of something to try or why is my system crashing?

The thing is I need this computer to be working stably 24/7, and right-now I don't even get 12h without it to crash xDDD. Bad thing, indeed.

Help guys ;)

It can't be a problem of Hard Drive. Neither audio-kexts because I don't installed nothing (I also had turned off HDMI-Audio in bios). Anyone can give me a clue of something to try or why is my system crashing?

The thing is I need this computer to be working stably 24/7, and right-now I don't even get 12h without it to crash xDDD. Bad thing, indeed.

Help guys :D

How much RAM do you have installed? I'm assuming you've seen the posts about problems with anything greater than 2 gig on this thread..

I was able to pause the screen just before the reboot. I boot using 132, then put in the retail disk. Then I select F8 and -v and then a lot of kext's load. Then the last thing before reboot is "Errors encountered while starting up computer. Pausing 5 seconds." then it reboots. Does not ever get the loading MAC framework and such...

i've managed to boot successfully into leopard after installing the NoPE 10.5.5 disk.

However, it didn't seem to recognize my video card or my sound.

I used NVkush, but i don't have CI/QE so it still runs in VESA mode.

Is there something i'm missing to get the video working with NVkush, or with stock drivers for that matter?

I'd rather not have to resort to using my 7800GT.

and does anyone have a solution for the ALC1200 audio?

i'm running 2ch azalia right now

and sys profile is saying i'm only running 2 cores, when i should have four. is there anyway to fix this?

Hello anitanium, try installing kexts from ALC889A_1056_fix.zip (extract and install using osx86tool and correct permissions). worked for me.

metzz77

I think we need a boot123 disk with nvidia chipset drivers/kexts and I am not aware of any downloadable boot disk with these drivers. What I did was install leopard10.5.0 to a hard disk using my old intel macbook (using a usb to sata bridge making the hard disk a usb drive). Then I updated up to 10.5.6 and installed the additional kexts & chamelian and moved the prepared hard disk to GA-E7AUM-DS2H. It seems 10.5.6 update has whatever items needed for this board to work. I did not have any stablity problems and I was able to move 64GB of data without any problems. Audio-out works well through SPDIF. I seem to have a problem with sleep but needs to check it. I may have to reinstall some kexts.

Which kernel are you using? I'm on an NVidia board and I had problems with vanilla kernel from MB/MBP unibody. I suggest you to try voodoo kernel. Also delete dsmos, you don't need it with AppleDecrypt installed.

I'm using MB unibody disk, so my kernel is vanilla.

How much RAM do you have installed? I'm assuming you've seen the posts about problems with anything greater than 2 gig on this thread..

The first time I installed the system I put my 4 GB of Kingstom Hyper X DDR2 800 to confirm the memory problem with the Gigabyte. And yes, it crash very fast, so I remove one dimm and left the system with only one module of 2 GB.

i've managed to boot successfully into leopard after installing the NoPE 10.5.5 disk.

However, it didn't seem to recognize my video card or my sound.

I used NVkush, but i don't have CI/QE so it still runs in VESA mode.

Is there something i'm missing to get the video working with NVkush, or with stock drivers for that matter?

I'd rather not have to resort to using my 7800GT.

and does anyone have a solution for the ALC1200 audio?

i'm running 2ch azalia right now

and sys profile is saying i'm only running 2 cores, when i should have four. is there anyway to fix this?

Did you try the NVCAP that Diabolik are using in his system? Yet I think it was for dual screen, so you shouldn't have problem with single monitor. I think all of us simple installed NVkush and reboot... and CI/QE was there. Did you try to repair permissions, etc?

And for the quad, I believe that at the begining of the post someone post a fix for that.

Hello anitanium, try installing kexts from ALC889A_1056_fix.zip (extract and install using osx86tool and correct permissions). worked for me.

Are you sure that "ALC889A_1056_fix.zip" work for the codec audio of the Asus (ALC1200) ???

By the way, david007, are you system stable 24h on? I really don't understand why mine isn't it...

Where do you connect the SATA internal Drive? Orange or purple? Have you active AHCI in bios?

Maybe is a good moment for the people that has the Giga or Asus board working completely stable (yet sleep don't work, it's a secondary thing) to post what computer they have, what's connected and where, bios-screen page-by-page and the install method, because If I follow the same install method that someone that said his system work 100% OK, but mine don't, it must be something like bios configuration o drives connected to the machine :)

Did you try the NVCAP that Diabolik are using in his system? Yet I think it was for dual screen, so you shouldn't have problem with single monitor. I think all of us simple installed NVkush and reboot... and CI/QE was there. Did you try to repair permissions, etc?

And for the quad, I believe that at the begining of the post someone post a fix for that.

I used Diabolik's NVCAP, which is the default one in nvkush

I have a dual screen setup, but it doesn't work right now since CI/QE aren't enabled

Did I have to set the memory manually to allocate to the iGPU? I set it to 512MB right now, or should I leave it at auto?

And i've tried using another DSDT but I end up not being able to boot correctly.

I have no problem booting up without cpus=1, just that it's only displaying as two cores instead of four (in activity monitor as well)

hi - did you use the DSDT by Diabolik in post 258 in this thread (page 13) -

Your sig shows only 1gb of ram I believe - why not try auto or try more ram if you can - martin15s

name='anitanium' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:59 AM' post='1047014']

I used Diabolik's NVCAP, which is the default one in nvkush

I have a dual screen setup, but it doesn't work right now since CI/QE aren't enabled

Did I have to set the memory manually to allocate to the iGPU? I set it to 512MB right now, or should I leave it at auto?

And i've tried using another DSDT but I end up not being able to boot correctly.

I have no problem booting up without cpus=1, just that it's only displaying as two cores instead of four (in activity monitor as well)

Just a quick update on the ethernet issue and resume from standby with the E7AUM-DS2H.

Currently if you resume from S3 (sleep) the nforce ethernet device appears to be ok, but you loose connectivity.

This appears to be a problem with the chip responsible for the physical connection (Realtek 8211CL) and how it's shutdown at sleep and not powered up at resume.

Remember that nforce boards usually use a "dumbed down" chip to make the physical connection to the network and the "smarts" are in the nvidia nforce chipset itself.

I usually have to do a full power off (remove power from the board) and do a cold boot to get the ethernet back.

Turns out that I get the same thing in Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) and WinXP SP2 with the latest nvidia drivers, so this isn't an OS X incompatibility.

I also don't see this issue on the ASUS P5N7A-VM.

I opened a ticket with Gigabyte on this along with it being a WOL issue (Wake on Lan won't work with this bug).

They responded that they are looking into it.

So hopefully this issue might get a fix.

We shall see.

I have the same gigabyte board and am in the process of installing leopard onto it but the furthest I get it is the gray screen with a black box in the middle that states I need to restart.

Just a quick comment about the lan issues. I have installed Vista sp1 on one of the harddrives and haven't noticed any lan problems with sleep. Vista usually takes a few seconds to reconnect after i wake the computer up but all it takes is a few seconds.

Thanks for all ofthe info about the board and os x though. I have been looking for info like this.

I do not have access to a MAC.... I need to install via iatkos, kalyway, etc. Or via retail dvd 10.5.4. I aslo have a Dell D820, no luck there either. On that machine I can boot with 132, the retail dvd loads, and then when switching video to the setup gui, the screen goes black. With all the talk about the E7AUM, I would love help getting that board going.

I do not have access to a MAC.... I need to install via iatkos, kalyway, etc. Or via retail dvd 10.5.4. I aslo have a Dell D820, no luck there either. On that machine I can boot with 132, the retail dvd loads, and then when switching video to the setup gui, the screen goes black. With all the talk about the E7AUM, I would love help getting that board going.

Try the MPB Alumiunum Unibody disc that's floating around on the worlds most popular torrent site, it has the word "NOPE" in the name. I don't think a generic retail install is reccomended at this point.

sigh...

I really wish someone would un-thread-jack this topic from Asus back to Gigabyte as the topic's title suggests. This place does have mods, right? Mods: Please split this topic.

It really sucks to be called back here multiple times a day hoping to hear about a late development on the Gigabyte front only to see a question and answer session for a different board going on.

Note: this in not intended to offend anyone -- It's just the way I think it should be. This is exactly what moderation is for.

Topic split... new topic specifically for Asus is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148416

You're right that's what moderation is for, but just saying it in one thread isn't enough, you could have used the little report button in the left-hand corner and had this done days ago and with less whining.

Topic split... new topic specifically for Asus is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148416

You're right that's what moderation is for, but just saying it in one thread isn't enough, you could have used the little report button in the left-hand corner and had this done days ago and with less whining.

OK, scolding received.

realityiswhere -- thanks for the splitting. I looked at the "report" button but it says only for objectionable content, etc (unless this falls under the acceptable use of "etc").

For the record, I wasn't whining... I was trying to be polite. :P If it came off that way, then sorry.

ok, got it working by installing iatkos5i on an IDE drive. added the kext for audio then installed 10.5.6 update, after the update, video, nic, and audio are working. I do have a problem though when i download programs. It downloads, then locks up when it tries to mount the image. Any suggestions?