Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

one hard drive is possible, but not supported here, research a bit. Multiple hard drives is so much easier to manage.

yes, you need both install DVD's

I see, so one hard drive will have vista, one osx vanilla and one osx testing.

Can I just old like 20 gig ide hard drives I have laying around?

My problem is some Kernal Panic going on.

Here is my hardware list:

Ep45-DS3L (f10)

Q6600

8GB DDR2-1000

1TB SATA (OS X)

320GB SATA (Vista 64-bit)

HD3450 256MB DDR2

I used boot-132 to install straight to my Mac drive. I then updated to 10.5.6 using the normal Apple updates as I had a vanilla install.

I then used the OSx86 GUI installer and checked the kexts, boot timer, time machine fix, added in 2 kexts for the 3450, default resolution of 1650x1080, installed the EFI strings to my Mac HDD. Just the normal options for the installer. I dragged the update file to terminal and pressed enter until it was done.

I am now greeted with kernal panic upon reboot. The resolution changed to the correct one, and my IDE DVD driver works, so I know the kexts seem to be working fine.

Booting in -x still gives me kernal panic.

When I boot off my Boot-132 disk instead I can boot to desktop and my video card is still recognized (it used to be an unknown device).

Any idea on what is causing my kernal panic and what I should do to fix it? Should I re-install and not apply the 3450 kexts?

My problem is some Kernal Panic going on.

Here is my hardware list:

Ep45-DS3L (f10)

Q6600

8GB DDR2-1000

1TB SATA (OS X)

320GB SATA (Vista 64-bit)

HD3450 256MB DDR2

I used boot-132 to install straight to my Mac drive. I then updated to 10.5.6 using the normal Apple updates as I had a vanilla install.

I then used the OSx86 GUI installer and checked the kexts, boot timer, time machine fix, added in 2 kexts for the 3450, default resolution of 1650x1080, installed the EFI strings to my Mac HDD. Just the normal options for the installer. I dragged the update file to terminal and pressed enter until it was done.

I am now greeted with kernal panic upon reboot. The resolution changed to the correct one, and my IDE DVD driver works, so I know the kexts seem to be working fine.

Booting in -x still gives me kernal panic.

When I boot off my Boot-132 disk instead I can boot to desktop and my video card is still recognized (it used to be an unknown device).

Any idea on what is causing my kernal panic and what I should do to fix it? Should I re-install and not apply the 3450 kexts?

sorry dont know, try searching around a bit. I have provided an easy install method, if followed on this board it works.

I just want to say awesome guide lensboard. Your guide helped tremendously and I am now typing on my 10.5.6 system.

Some tips to help resolve problems. Keep in mind I am also a nood who happened to figure some things out.

I have the same MB but with slightly different other hardware which should not make much of a difference.

But I did install the firewire and ethernet card as per-instructions, trust me it works OOB and no problems as lensboard said

Here are some tips that I had to figure out after many hours of headaches...

1 - make sure the ram is good, I started out with 8 gigs, 2GBx4, turns out I KP or froze on many a install because one stick was bad, corsair brand, i only found out when my system would not boot to bios and i got a bios block error, try using only 2 sticks for now, slots 1 and 3, add later

2 - you need to use a working install on the same computer, you cannot use another system and install using an external drive and expect it to work, the retail install dvd installs hardware specific to the machine (not suppose to but?) you are running the install on

3 - you must get kalyway 10.5.2 ISO, it must match checksums and you must burn as slowly as possible to reduce chance of error, lensboard is correct that all you need to use is sleepkernal, that is it and it will boot no problem

4 - migration assistant during the initial registration will quit and cause you to play the intro movie over and over, you need to have ethernet working for you to pass migration, weird huh? or use boot to single user and modify that way, search for help

5 - use bios no higher than F8, im on F8 and i did not test if it works on a higher bios, if you don't need to upgrade, don't. there is a F10 bios package for the uinstaller if you download it, but i did not try it as i am still on F8

6 - use the screenshots to setup your system, it will help in diagnosing problems, you can experiment if you know what each setting will do

7 - do not partition your boot drive, 1 drive - 1 system, i had my drive split half and half, i had kalyway and this guide install on the other, i ended up with a HFS+ error, it is better to have an old drive that has the kalyway setup unplugged in the event you need to fix something on your main drive

8 - use sata hard drives only and ahci support on, follow the screen shots, vista can work with ahci but you will need to modify the registry (search)

9 - use the video card string to your card, if its not listed either use -x or specify your own, i specified my own and it works great 9800GT/512MB -based on G92

10 - shut down is iffy, but it works with manual help

11 - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP you never know when your hackintosh will stop working, dont use time machine, use cloning -my opinion

12 - repair permissions is hit and miss, mostly miss. you can repair permissions on your boot drive no problem its the secondary drive that you are installing to may or may not get its permissions repaired. some say its a bug, i don't know. on 10.5.2 it works better than 10.5.6.

thats all I can think of for right now, if i remember more i will post more tips

I'm running 10.5.6 per your guide and the sound is occasionally pops when it is inactive for a while.

I saw previously there was a better driver to use, so is that driver already installed?

Or do I need to find a better one?

I just want to say awesome guide lensboard. Your guide helped tremendously and I am now typing on my 10.5.6 system.

Some tips to help resolve problems. Keep in mind I am also a nood who happened to figure some things out.

I have the same MB but with slightly different other hardware which should not make much of a difference.

But I did install the firewire and ethernet card as per-instructions, trust me it works OOB and no problems as lensboard said

Here are some tips that I had to figure out after many hours of headaches...

1 - make sure the ram is good, I started out with 8 gigs, 2GBx4, turns out I KP or froze on many a install because one stick was bad, corsair brand, i only found out when my system would not boot to bios and i got a bios block error, try using only 2 sticks for now, slots 1 and 3, add later

2 - you need to use a working install on the same computer, you cannot use another system and install using an external drive and expect it to work, the retail install dvd installs hardware specific to the machine (not suppose to but?) you are running the install on

3 - you must get kalyway 10.5.2 ISO, it must match checksums and you must burn as slowly as possible to reduce chance of error, lensboard is correct that all you need to use is sleepkernal, that is it and it will boot no problem

4 - migration assistant during the initial registration will quit and cause you to play the intro movie over and over, you need to have ethernet working for you to pass migration, weird huh? or use boot to single user and modify that way, search for help

5 - use bios no higher than F8, im on F8 and i did not test if it works on a higher bios, if you don't need to upgrade, don't. there is a F10 bios package for the uinstaller if you download it, but i did not try it as i am still on F8

6 - use the screenshots to setup your system, it will help in diagnosing problems, you can experiment if you know what each setting will do

7 - do not partition your boot drive, 1 drive - 1 system, i had my drive split half and half, i had kalyway and this guide install on the other, i ended up with a HFS+ error, it is better to have an old drive that has the kalyway setup unplugged in the event you need to fix something on your main drive

8 - use sata hard drives only and ahci support on, follow the screen shots, vista can work with ahci but you will need to modify the registry (search)

9 - use the video card string to your card, if its not listed either use -x or specify your own, i specified my own and it works great 9800GT/512MB -based on G92

10 - shut down is iffy, but it works with manual help

11 - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP you never know when your hackintosh will stop working, dont use time machine, use cloning -my opinion

12 - repair permissions is hit and miss, mostly miss. you can repair permissions on your boot drive no problem its the secondary drive that you are installing to may or may not get its permissions repaired. some say its a bug, i don't know. on 10.5.2 it works better than 10.5.6.

thats all I can think of for right now, if i remember more i will post more tips

I'm running 10.5.6 per your guide and the sound is occasionally pops when it is inactive for a while.

I saw previously there was a better driver to use, so is that driver already installed?

Or do I need to find a better one?

the guide contains the best sound I am aware of as of now

Ok, I am having an issue.. I tried this by installing to a usb enclosed 120gb pata drive, from my imac 10.5.6 I am running at work. I used a mounted image (10.5.4 release i believe). Everything went smooth, it installed and didnt receive any errors. The only strange thing I got was when I ran the .sh file to repair permissions, I get a response in terminal that says there are no user permissions set for that directory.. or whatever.. It removes the kext file fine and that is it.

Now the problem arises when i plug the pata drive back into my computer at home and try to boot up I get a kernal panic and when it says Mac OS type not yet set, or not yet defined.. something along that line and then stops. (Sorry I don't have the exact line, I since formatted and tried running the install from my Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and only got freeze ups during install)..

Any help/suggestions are appreciated

Hi LensBoard! Thank you so much for everything you put together. I decided to get the same board as I found it for only $20 more and wanted to go as easy as possible. Anyway, I have some problems with my install...I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a second drive and I installed my retail DVD to the other hard drive. Both drives are SATA, however, when I go to install the 10.5.6 upgrade, there is an exclamation on my Leopard install and it says that "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Thoughts?

Hi LensBoard! Thank you so much for everything you put together. I decided to get the same board as I found it for only $20 more and wanted to go as easy as possible. Anyway, I have some problems with my install...I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a second drive and I installed my retail DVD to the other hard drive. Both drives are SATA, however, when I go to install the 10.5.6 upgrade, there is an exclamation on my Leopard install and it says that "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Thoughts?

Nevermind...I think I found that I need the Combo Updater and I only have the one that you linked to in the file since my DVD is 10.5.4 and I am jumping multiple versions. My bad...

What version is your retail dvd? My guess is your retail dvd is 10.5.4 and you are trying to install the 10.5.6 update. You would either need to first update to 10.5.5 or use the 10.5.6 COMBO update.

What version is your retail dvd? My guess is your retail dvd is 10.5.4 and you are trying to install the 10.5.6 update. You would either need to first update to 10.5.5 or use the 10.5.6 COMBO update.

Thanks...I figured that out after I posted. I had been looking around but couldn't find much and then it dawned on me...I am definitely new to the osx86 project and the things I am trying to do here but have been amazed at all the info I have been able to find. Thanks for the quick response and I hope I don't have to post again :unsure:

Thanks...I figured that out after I posted. I had been looking around but couldn't find much and then it dawned on me...I am definitely new to the osx86 project and the things I am trying to do here but have been amazed at all the info I have been able to find. Thanks for the quick response and I hope I don't have to post again :P

Thanks for pointing out the "combo" update. The guide instructions were corrected.

Hi Lensboard,

Does it make sense that my drive won't boot up unless I have the Kalyway dvd in the dvd drive? This is when loading to the retail install so I'm not sure why it requires that at all. I have all the exact same settings in my bios but I do have CD-Rom as my first boot device.

Thanks!

Update 1:

I'm guessing this is based on my bootloader not working correctly or something. I have installed the Chameleon EFI from OS X 86 Utilities program but then I end up with a bo error when I try to load...I went through FDISK to set the partition active and I think I did that all correctly but still no luck...

Update 2:

I have re-installed a few times trying some different things and tinkered in GSParted but to no luck. I either don't know what to make active or I'm doing something wrong. I ended up just installing one partition on the hard drive and I still can't get it to work. It is a 500 GB sata drive and I have my Kalyway install on disk 2...why if I use my bios to decide what to load, do I need the boot disk to continue with loading?

Update 3:

Final update here. I got the boot disk working by downloading and following the instructions at this link:

http://www.osxjournal.com/fixing-issues/re...sx86-wont-boot/

Took forever to find but once I found the right keywords this worked great. Booted to my Kalyway disk and then ran the zip drive program and it created a new EFI loader for me and I can boot without the DVD loaded! Glad I got to work that one out on my own because I feel like I grew as a hackintosh installer. So far, in three days, I have loaded and unloaded quite a few times just to make sure I can get everything right. As a matter of fact, I will probably be doing that again now so that I can setup the partitions the way I really want them :(

I have only been able to get my fix for booting when installing one partition...no big deal really but thought I would updated. Tried with a second and no good.

Other few things I have been seeing is that my About This Mac shows on 2 gb of ram (when loaded from OSX86Tools) but if I look in System Profiler, I see both sticks of 2 gb and they show that they are a status of OK...should I be concerned about that? Also, Xbench shows 4 gb of ram.

Secondly, every once in a while, when I come back after the system has loaded, my mouse is frozen and can't do much. I have a Microsoft Wireless 4000 combo system. I end up having to do a hard reset to get it working again.

Just curious.. the first time you installed retail to a seperate drive and then said it would not boot up without the Kalyway dvd, did you boot up in verbose mode? What error were you getting? I am just curious as to if you had any of same problems I did, so maybe there is a fix that would work for me.

3235169889_a1e3ff2e4e_o.jpg

FYI, Quicktime 7.6 with the 8800GT video card is causing issues with mouse and video stutter, do not update.

I just downgraded to 7.5.5, and all appears to be fine.

Here is a link to download Quicktime 7.5.5 build 249.13 (legit version from version tracker, I have tested)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ync5h5kgmjw

Open with pacifist, and install with pacifist, overwrite current version, reboot, and done. Mouse problems gone.

You may have to re install iTunes to sync with iPhone / iPod. iTunes constantly asks for authorization again. Be sure to de authorize first.

If you install iLife 09, then you will need to repeat the above steps.

FYI, Quicktime 7.6 with the 8800GT video card is causing issues with mouse and video stutter, do not update.

I just downgraded to 7.5.5, and all appears to be fine.

I just downgraded (I have the 9800 GT) but I think I have already seen improvements. I am going to walk away for a bit and leave it but I did a few things:

1. Downgraded to 7.5.5

2. Maybe sure sleep settings were set to Never. I had unchecked put my computer to sleep but didn't move the sliders all the way to never.

Just curious.. the first time you installed retail to a seperate drive and then said it would not boot up without the Kalyway dvd, did you boot up in verbose mode? What error were you getting? I am just curious as to if you had any of same problems I did, so maybe there is a fix that would work for me.

I couldn't get a bootloader to work for me when I installed to the different drive so I couldn't get to a screen where I could select single user or verbose. The system would boot up until the point where it would normally kick in the CD or load the bootloader, and then it would just hang. I would have to reset and put the disk in to generate the loader. Once I booted back into Kalyway and installed the efi program I had listed, then it loaded correctly and I was able to boot off of that drive.

Great guide! Thanks so much for posting it. I'm a total noob, but have been prowling for some time on the forum, trying to learn what I can.

Mac user since 1984. 6 in the house currently. Couldn't bring myself to spend $3700 on the MacPro I wanted.

Anyway, here are a couple of issues/successes I've had. Unsure how easy the fixes are.

Used the OSX86 installer in the guide. It gave me an error, saying that there was no ethernet device. Would sit and spin at the Time Machine part of the install. Had to uncheck the box to proceed.

For sound, I'm using a MOTU PCI card that's part of my DAW without issue.

I installed a D-Link wireless card and it was working great when booting from the kalyway drive. It's SLOOOOOOOW as molasses in the current 10.5.6 drive. Apparently, others have used the card without issue. I'm wondering if the ethernet error I'm getting with the OSX86 installer in the guide is an indication of some other issue.

Most frustrating is that I can't get the BIOS screen to come up. The board boots to the gigabyte splash screen, then goes through its ACHI stuff, then boots directly to OSX. I can use F12 to get to the boot list, but F9 seems to not work anymore. The computer boots, so I guess I should be happy, but I'd like to tweak the BIOS a bit.

Monitor sleep works fine. Shutdown and restart work fine.

Config:

10.5.6 retail disc install. Kalyway on the second drive with default settings per the guide

GB EP45-DS3L board

4 GB RAM

2, 1 TB drives

Nvidia GeForce 9800GT with 512MB

ASUS CDROM/DVD drive

MOTU PCI card

D-Link wireless N card

Raidmax Smilodon case

Stock Apple keyboard

Great guide! Thanks so much for posting it. I'm a total noob, but have been prowling for some time on the forum, trying to learn what I can.

Mac user since 1984. 6 in the house currently. Couldn't bring myself to spend $3700 on the MacPro I wanted.

Anyway, here are a couple of issues/successes I've had. Unsure how easy the fixes are.

Most frustrating is that I can't get the BIOS screen to come up. The board boots to the gigabyte splash screen, then goes through its ACHI stuff, then boots directly to OSX. I can use F12 to get to the boot list, but F9 seems to not work anymore. The computer boots, so I guess I should be happy, but I'd like to tweak the BIOS a bit.

Monitor sleep works fine. Shutdown and restart work fine.

The delete key gets you into bios, not F9. Shutdown works every time?

Couldn't bring myself to spend $3700 on the MacPro I wanted.

That is the only reason I support this project. I just sold my MacPro for $2000 on ebay a month ago. I am a long time Mac user, and also an avid PC builder, and I got tired of paying the apple tax. Apple needs to sell a desktop that can be customized for $1000+/-, and I will never post here again. Until then.... rock on.

Doh! Funny how one key can make a huge difference! ;-) Just changed my BIOS settings to match yours and this is the first time shutdown didn't work. Strange that my CPU host is shown at 266 instead of 333 in the identifier above on the BIOS page. Will that cause some performance issues?

All I'm left with is figuring out how to get my wireless N card working and I'm set. Another day of scouring the forums. :-)

I've supported Apple for the past 25 years buying their hardware, but I just can't do it at the costs they're asking nowadays. I did buy a retail copy of 10.5.6 as Amazon had it bundled with iLife and iWork for $149.

Cheers! John

Doh! Funny how one key can make a huge difference! ;-) Just changed my BIOS settings to match yours and this is the first time shutdown didn't work. Strange that my CPU host is shown at 266 instead of 333 in the identifier above on the BIOS page. Will that cause some performance issues?

All I'm left with is figuring out how to get my wireless N card working and I'm set. Another day of scouring the forums. :-)

I've supported Apple for the past 25 years buying their hardware, but I just can't do it at the costs they're asking nowadays. I did buy a retail copy of 10.5.6 as Amazon had it bundled with iLife and iWork for $149.

Cheers! John

well, did the bios settings cause the shutdown to stop working? or was this just coincidence?

Strange that my CPU host is shown at 266 instead of 333 in the identifier above on the BIOS page. Will that cause some performance issues?

what do you mean, explain.

Can't make the causative leap to the BIOS change affecting the shutdown. Could be just coincidence.

On the MIT page of the BIOS setup, My CPU frequency is listed as 2.83GHZ(333x8). Down below on the clock chip contro, the CPU host frequency is listed as 266MHZ. Your picture of your BIOS screen shows 333 in both sections. I can change this if I enable CPU host clock control, but noticed that you did NOT have that enabled. I see what happens when I enable it and manually set it to 333MHZ.

John

Can't make the causative leap to the BIOS change affecting the shutdown. Could be just coincidence.

On the MIT page of the BIOS setup, My CPU frequency is listed as 2.83GHZ(333x8). Down below on the clock chip contro, the CPU host frequency is listed as 266MHZ. Your picture of your BIOS screen shows 333 in both sections. I can change this if I enable CPU host clock control, but noticed that you did NOT have that enabled. I see what happens when I enable it and manually set it to 333MHZ.

John

Yep I just checked mine and you are right. Check the specs for your own CPU and just set it to whatever it should be set to.