The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

I haven't looked into it but I think it would help if we could figure out how to extract the drivers from the Bootcamp Driver Installer so that you can manually install them. This would help with getting more stuff working in Vista I think. Of course this may have already been done but I've been away for a while so I haven't kept up on the driver subject.

They have, it's pretty easy. Just go to /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/ once you've installed the Boot Camp Assistant, mount the Disk Image called DiskImage.dmg, and the Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe is the installer.

If you mean extract each individual driver from the installer, than no, no one's done that yet.... as far as I know.

I'm not sure if any of these are available to the public as standalone downloads (I know the ATI drivers aren't, as well as the Bluetooth, Eject and Brightness buttons, and Startup Disk Control Panel), but Apple lists these as the drivers included with Boot Camp:

Intel Chip Set Software (6.2.1)

ATI Graphics (8.24.0.0)

Intel Integrated Graphics (6.14.10.4512)

Marvel Yukon Ethernet (8.49.2.3)

SigmaTel Audio (1.0.4889.0 nd375 cp1)

SigmaTel Audio proto_A2 (1.0.4889.0 nd375 cp1)

Atheros 802.11 wireless (AirPort) (4.2.2.4)

Broadcom Wireless (4.10.40.0)

Apple Bluetooth module (1.0.0.1)

Apple Keyboard Eject Key (1.0.0.1)

Apple Keyboard Brightness (for computers with built-in displays) (1.0.0.1)

Startup Disk Control Panel for Windows XP (1.0.0.1)

If any of these are available as standalone downloads from their respective developers, this might help get as much working as possible in Vista.

Are there already any drivers for the iSight camera?

;)Please forgive my inattention if this topic has already been discussed, but I really can´t be bothered to read all these 26 pages! :D

Can you be bothered to read the very first post in this thread which conveniently summarizes the current state of hardwire drivers?

In case, that still proves to be too much trouble... the answer is that there are no drivers for the iSight camera yet. If you checked the Boot Camp page on Apple's web site, you would find that info there as well.

And so begins your new quest. Soon we will have a ton of users with XP on their machines so now the question is....how the hell do we USE them without drivers? Well....sofar this is what we have...

Updated 24 March at 12:36a EST (Added Mac Mini sound workaround link)

Wireless Card: iMac http://tinyurl.com/jxqsn MacBook Pro/Probable Mac Mini http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...xr-layout=print

Ethernet Controller: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/upload/Setu..._x32_v84923.zip

Chipset: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...44&submit=Go%21

Sound: Sigmatel HD Audio from Intel (Drivers installed perfectly. Sound from Headphones but not speakers) http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...eng&PrdMap=2065

Bluetooth Solution: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=12293

TPM Module: http://support.samsung.de/fileview.aspx?mo...990&fileType=DR

Video: Mac Mini http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Mac_Mini_DVI

I am running Vista Build 5365 on a MBP. I deleted the EFI partition, so I have none of that support present.

In my experience

1. the Intel Audio drivers did not work; the ones at Dell did. I can hear through the earphone jack fine. With it not plugged in, I hear a tiny little sound, barely audible from the internal speakers.

2. The Vista wireless drivers were N.G., but go to update drivers and have it search the internet. Now it works!

Problems: Can't do ctrl-alt-del to unlock login once domain connected. Various posted suggestions failed (perhaps due to lack of EFI code?) Even the on-screen keyboard came up only at times. I ended up using an external USB keyboard and then changed the settings to no longer require it for login.

Clock: after booting into OSX, when I return to Vista the time is off.

Hibernate: this didn't work for me, nor did Sleep. It appeared to enter the states, but can't recover.

Heat: the machine runs VERY hot. Seriously hot. I now have an external fan running to avoid frying it.

I am running Vista Build 5365 on a MBP. I deleted the EFI partition, so I have none of that support present.

In my experience

1. the Intel Audio drivers did not work; the ones at Dell did. I can hear through the earphone jack fine. With it not plugged in, I hear a tiny little sound, barely audible from the internal speakers.

2. The Vista wireless drivers were N.G., but go to update drivers and have it search the internet. Now it works!

Problems: Can't do ctrl-alt-del to unlock login once domain connected. Various posted suggestions failed (perhaps due to lack of EFI code?) Even the on-screen keyboard came up only at times. I ended up using an external USB keyboard and then changed the settings to no longer require it for login.

Clock: after booting into OSX, when I return to Vista the time is off.

Hibernate: this didn't work for me, nor did Sleep. It appeared to enter the states, but can't recover.

Heat: the machine runs VERY hot. Seriously hot. I now have an external fan running to avoid frying it.

What Dell drivers are you speaking about for audio?

Can you link me please?

I dont have any sound coming from earphone jack, or internal.........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And once again, more with the iSight. Ok, basicly here is what will most likely happen. Some random guy named Joe will code a beta iSight Driver for macbook(Non and Pro) and it will be buggy. Then Apple releases new Boot Camp version with iSight drivers and it works perfectly. Then more 3rd party companies will make software and drivers to take advantage of the iSight.

Its just a matter of time people, we can wait :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help, actually. Im new (obviously) and looked through most of the topic. Good stuff. I downloaded the Sigmatel Driver from Intel on my 17" MBP (bootcamped XP Pro). I've got very low sound coming through the headphones and when I try to run the Intel Audio app that is downloaded, It won't open. Any ideas on how I can either return the sound to go through the speakers or make the headphone sound louder? I've gone through the audio options in the control panel already

• 2 weeks later...

Hii... I don't understand Italian (?) but i have an Asus A6J witt intel core duo 1.83 , and ATI X1600...

I have tried to install the hottiso 10.4.6 Mac OSX but i have not been able to get it to work. The install worked fine but the boot fails... So I wonder if you guys managed to get it to work how you did it.

Thanks a lot / Jennifer

FYI, I have a couple of ATI X1600 PCI Express video cards from the new Mac Pros. I was curious to see if they could be made into PC-compatible cards by flashing the firmware, so I stuck them as a second card into my Intel-based desktop and downloaded a couple of ATI flash utilities and ROM files (I'm pretty sure the computer would not boot to the ATI cards since my Asus P5ND2-SLI board uses a BIOS instead of an EFI shell).

Upon boot, the computer recognized the new device and attempted to install drivers. Windows couldn't locate any on it's own and I don't want to install any until I get the new VGA BIOS flashed.

The end result is that none of the BIOS tools I tried under Windows would recognize the card. I tried the FLASHROM utility, as well as Winflash (Winatiflash?) and ATITools. ATITools and Flashrom -i reported no ATI cards in the system and the Winflash tool just gave me an error code.

From this I infer that the card is significantly different enough from the Windows Version that NO standard ATI drivers are going to work on the XOM system. It would be interesting to see if there is actually different hardware on the two cards, or if it is a firmware difference.

Anyone know if there is a firmware update utility for Macs that could be used for flashing a Windows BIOS? I am VERY new to Macs (long-time Windows user), but am warming up to them real quick.

Thanks all

Jabberwocky

Hi,

I'm on holidays right now and of course, I brought my iMac 20" with me.

At home I have my external speakers, therefore I installed the Sigmatel Audio drivers.

But now, I need the old drivers again, to get the sound from the inbuilt speakers and I just can't be bothered to download the whole Bootcamp-CD again.

Any suggestions? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i tried the airport driver for Macbook on the first page and it was a nogo. I'm too lazy to read all of these pages, so, are there any other drivers i can try to get my Airport working in my Macbook for Windows XP?

Good news is i got Audio working (finally :( )