The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

I realize this is so easy to photoshop, but would it be that hard to see a screenshot of one of these games running in Windowed mode? Or a screenshot of the display panel?

I fully believe in Effects, and I'm not sure that soeone would put so much effort into posting and stuff, only to cause a stir? Because if you can't deliver the goods, you're not going to cause a good stir :).

I think that most people would give him the benifit of the doubt if he posted a screenshot or two.

Not to further debate Effects solution, but I thought that the prime goal of these forums, this site was to bring together expertise and knowledge.

Along the same lines, I do not see the problem that someone could brick their MBP trying to implement possible solutions. Especially if it would be clearly labelled as Work-In-Progress or Mortal-Danger. FCOL we're supposed to be geeks and somewhat aware of the dangers here!

Efffects, echoing ToxicWaste please come back in the spirit of a developer/hacker/geek community, and the key here is the word community...

Darkten, thank you for putting things straight and asking (very nicely btw) for some openness in the whole process.

Wish I could actively help... Wish I would have the available cashflow to afford an MBP... Hmmm... I'm limited at drooling over my (younger) brothers MBP... Not happy... :poster_oops:

J

That's the same process that we've been using, just written out in an actual clear fashion.

Does that connect to the Netgear routers?

Yes, at least it does with mine (Netgear WGT624 v2 108mbps wireless firewall router). Im actually using it right now.

Anyone here know anything about Windows? ;)

I need to edit xom.inf; we want this driver installed as a "normal" driver as opposed to attached to the vgasave service.

As for what was changed in xom.efi (I assume using a hex editor) I could not tell you.

This is all in re:

"It wasn't built into the slipstream cd and efi properly, so I have edited both."

An aside: I feel its infinitely stupid that we(I) should have to work this out from *this* point, instead of the up and running lets-see-how-we-can-document-and-stabilize it point.

-D

Darken, if you have a longin to that page, could you ask for permission from "rastaman" to repost his images + any and all information he has on what he is working on onto this forum too? It might be wise to ask for information from the begining rather then wait for someone to get to the "I think i can do this alone!" phase. If you get my drift.

edit: oops I thought your post above was in reference to the link i posted. Sorry for the confusion, but I thought I saw a post of yours over there (onmac) somewheres, so my question still stands.

I just started reading that actually...my machine isn't currently in a stat to mess with that much; it would be helpful to have the extracted vga.rom tho here. As I work on the qemu project; I have that bios readily available.

It appears from that thread I need to get xp reinstalled first before messing with this however, so I think I'm gonna do that now :D

If someone with a working machine can grab the vga rom they're talking about in the interim, that would be helpful.

No need to make the edits; I can do that in hexedit once i get my machine's xp installed again.

I have already modded xom.efi as per that thread.

-K

So for those just arriving , it seems a solution is found by flashing the Graphic chip BIOS. (link above)

Of course this is a bit spooky, especially for the accident prone brick makers.

But it is exciting no doubt.

Actually, they aren't flashing anything; its more of the same thinking as the BAMBIOS approach

-D

I like how they are doing that. When they get the kinks worked out you will most likely need to just grab the Q bios.bin, vga.rom and a new xom.efi and bless it. You probably will not even need to reinstall windows. Bugfixes would come in the form of updated xom.efis and bios. If it all works out this also makes a good groundwork for future apple products using different video adapters.

There was one HexEditor that was mentioned in the above thread. Can't remember the name, but I remeber the instructions saying that the HexEditing was done through windows not OSX. Perhaps that will make a difference.

EDIT: I used to use TinyHexEditor a while back, perhaps that will work. Its windows based

ok...I'm trying this.

first problem: Hexedit (OSX) is screwing up the bios somehow (i think)

Making that edit gives me an efi that GNDN.

Anyone have a windows tool that can do this?

Thanks,

-D

Dark: Maybe this will do the trick:

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...32.htm#download

Sorry if this isn't what you were asking for; my technical knowledge is limited. :)

I am personally not wasting any more time on this :)

By "this" I mean presently this "new" methodology, and ultimately on the x1600...

I'm not one for thrashing around blindly, and, quite honestly, I'm more than a little agitated that there is someone out there watching us all flail and tilt at windmills with regard to getting the x1600 running.

I welcome anyone else to provide this satisfaction. As for me, I'm wiping my drive and putting things back the way they were so I can finish integrating the drivers that *work* for MacBook Pro's so that new people have one less thing to deal with and to help make the installation experience a bit nicer.

-D

Looking through the ASCII in the xom.efi, at b470 there is a "warning: unknown video card" error msg right after vga.rom msg. I dont see why that would be in there, if this was written knowing the only two cards are involved in the Intel line for now. Do you think it could be for future use?

BUG REPORT:

Safe Sleep doesnt work after hacking the boot on osx :). I tried to take my mbp into safe sleep and it just shuted down. After that it never went to sleep, instead it tries to go into safesleep and shuts down. I fixed this by taking my system back to sleep mode 3 in the terminal. If any of you have this problem write this on the terminal and it will take the sleep mode of the mbp back to normal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3