[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Yup. Me too. SleepEnabler.kext works perfect! Now everything works as it did in 10.5.7. This is great first post material.

Other required changes:

Reapply Superhai's VoodooUSBEHCI.kext patch

Replace AppleHDA.kext with whatever you use.

M1330 Vanilla

I have replaced both, but sleep doesnt work on my M1530.

It works only with cpus=1 flag. :-(

No, when I push STOP, I obtain black screen and fan is ON. Wake up dont work

Sorry not sure then...

The reason I asked is if you get it to a point where it sleeps and wakes up instantly, the problem at that point is installing VoodooUSBEHCI correctly. If it locks up it's something else...

Mine was also locking up after sleep with the fan on and would not wake up. SleepEnabler.kext fixed that on my M1330. I'm not sure if it's needed on an M1530 or not.

Yup. Me too. SleepEnabler.kext works perfect! Now everything works as it did in 10.5.7. This is great first post material.

M1330 Vanilla

I have the same setup as you, but I am having trouble getting sleep to work successfully. Could you explain the steps you took to get sleep working again. Thanks.

Can anyone help with integrating C-states and P-states into the DSDT?

Dumped the SSDT tables and put them into the DSDT, still doesn't work with AICPUPM and DropSSDT. This is for M1530/T8300.

DSDT.dsl.zip

Hi Chrysaor,

I think it would be great to tweak our DSDT.

The fact is that under Snow Leopard, our system (XPS 1530) works great with the DSDT.aml from Brandon. I wish it's the same for XPS1330.

For now, the only problems i encountered were the voodoopower kext that couldn't be installed under snow and the shutdown/restart issue that still exist.

If a Guru could patch our Dsdt to be the best as possible, or someone can explain us how to do it, we would, probably, need less kext and our system would be more Mac like.

I can see many people who solve their problems with DSDT patch.

But i'm probably wrong, and our DSDT is the best it can be...

That was just a thought.

Regards,

Josh.

Yes there seems to be a link between shutdown issues and Nvidia Drivers.

My desktop has a Nvidia 9600GT and the OpenHaltRestart.kext fixes the issue due to this kext rewriting the PE_Halt_Restart kernel function.

My Dell XPS 1530 has the Nvidia 8600GT and this kext doesn't work cause the kernel shutdown sequence crashes before executing the PE_Halt_Restart function, default or rewritten.

I've spent a bit of time debugging the kernel and the crash happens when the following function is executed:

// Notify legacy clients

applyToInterested(gIOPriorityPowerStateInterest, platformHaltRestartApplier, &ctx);

This function is within the IOPMrootDomain.cpp file.

If this function doesn't execute the Power Managed attached devices don't get the message that the system is shutting down, but PE_Halt_restart function can then execute and halts all CPUs but not all of the devices thus we have a new shutdown issue.

Basically i think we need to remove this function from the kernel add a new shutdown function to the kernel or modify OpenHaltRestart to send a Shutdown signal to PCI devices in a different way before halting all CPUs.

I've been trying to do this but I've had no success.

If anyone can help this would be great!!!

I will keep trying :blink:

--

AB

hi AB, wanted to ask if youv got any news with openhaltrestart issue, any way i coud help out?

thanks

I have the same setup as you, but I am having trouble getting sleep to work successfully. Could you explain the steps you took to get sleep working again. Thanks.

Sure. Sorry for the delay. This is from memory, so forgive me if I miss a step. For anyone else, only do this if you have a correctly working Vanilla 10.5.7 install! I have no idea how this will work with a distro, but you can try it if you are brave.

1. Update to 10.5.8 using combo update. My guess is that it would work just fine with internet update, but I did it with the combo update just to be safe. There's no harm in running the combo update on top of an internet update, or running it a second time. This just makes sure everything is vanilla 10.5.8. As long as you have the disabler recommended in this guide, the computer should restart no problem. The computer restarts a couple of times after install.

2. The

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change done to use the VoodooUSBEHCI.kext gets lost in the update. You must re-apply it.

Under the lines:

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.4.6</string>

Add the lines:

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

3. Talisman's AppleHDA.kext gets replaced with a new version. You must put the old version back. Use OSx86Tools to re-add it.

4. Install SleepEnabler.kext using OSx86Tools. It's found here:

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...os-1058-install

It's a part of the 10.5.8_Thireus_Fixes_3.3.zip package found on that site.

5. Repair permisions.

6. Reboot and cross your fingers! If it wakes up instantly after it goes to sleep or if USB stops working, you probably botched the AppleUSBEHCI.kext edit or forgot to repair permissions. If it locks up, there's another problem. Mine locked up originally, but SleepEnabler.kext corrected this.

Sure. Sorry for the delay. This is from memory, so forgive me if I miss a step. For anyone else, only do this if you have a correctly working Vanilla 10.5.7 install! I have no idea how this will work with a distro, but you can try it if you are brave....

Thanks, guide worked great!! Sleep works again now! (Vanilla on XPS 1330, 10.5.8)

Time Machine on M1330

A while back I had Time Machine working on an iAtkos v5i install. To be honest, I don't remember how I did it. Due to lazyness, I never attempted to get it working under my Vanilla install following wingrunr21's guide until recently. I was surprised and frusterated to find how long it took to get it to work! Since I did manage to figure it out, I thought I'd post my findings to help out anyone trying to do the same.

Basically the problem is Time Machine needs a MAC address from a "built in" network interface. With the DSDT.aml attached to this guide, the working network interfaces in the computer (wireless and firewire) are not detected as built in. This can be seen in the following file:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

If you try to change the BuiltIn flag to "true" in this plist with the DSDT.aml file installed, the change will be lost on next reboot. To solve this problem, simply rename the DSDT.aml file to whatever you want (I use DSDT.aml.old) and changes you make to the plist will stick and be followed! Everything else should operate the same as it did before, including the clamshell. Just remember to rename the DSDT.aml back if you want to do an upgrade.

Step by step:

1. Rename /DSDT.aml to /DSDT.aml.old

2. In the file

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

under the <dict> that contains the key:

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

change the key value

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

to:

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

Then you should be good to go! P.S. I'm sure there's a better way of doing this (patching the DSDT.aml so that it writes the .plist as "built in" in the first place?), but this works just fine.

Hello M1530 users,

Here is an update to my DSDT for M1530..

Includes support for:

NVIDIA injection with VGA, HDMI, extended and mirror mode and lid sleep support (supported in previous DSDT)

Audio injection support (supported in previous DSDT)

Vanilla SpeedStep (use MacBookPro5,1 as model identifier, C-States doesn't work for now)

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads (required for vanilla speedstep, remove Disabler etc )

Fixes the USB improperly removed alert after sleep (thanks to ApexDE)

Doesn't need VoodooEHCI/Sleepenabler for sleep

Built-in Ethernet in System Profiler/PCI cards (cosmetic)

Wireless card in System Profiler/PCI cards (cosmetic)

Two versions:

with vanilla speedstep support for T8300 and without.

DSDT_M1530_noSpeedStep.aml.zip

DSDT_M1530_T8300_SpeedStep.aml.zip

Vanilla speedstep is for T8300 ONLY, do NOT use it on other CPUs. If you want to include your CPU, you need to dump your CPU0IST table or calculate it yourself. (Here is a good place to start) Decompile the DSDT and replace P-states for your own CPU.

Tested in 10.5.8, not tested in Snow Leopard.

Chrysaor - First of all - thanks for the update.

Secondly - I just wanted to make sure I do this correctly - after I install the DSDT to the root file I need to go to the terminal and type SUDO commands - correct? And if so, would you mind re-posting those commands? If this isn't the preferred way please let us know...

Thanks in advance...

Hello M1530 users,

Here is an update to my DSDT for M1530..

Includes support for:

NVIDIA injection with VGA, HDMI, extended and mirror mode and lid sleep support (supported in previous DSDT)

Audio injection support (supported in previous DSDT)

Vanilla SpeedStep (use MacBookPro5,1 as model identifier, C-States doesn't work for now)

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads (required for vanilla speedstep, remove Disabler etc )

Fixes the USB improperly removed alert after sleep (thanks to ApexDE)

Doesn't need VoodooEHCI/Sleepenabler for sleep

Built-in Ethernet in System Profiler/PCI cards (cosmetic)

Wireless card in System Profiler/PCI cards (cosmetic)

Two versions:

with vanilla speedstep support for T8300 and without.

DSDT_M1530_noSpeedStep.aml.zip

DSDT_M1530_T8300_SpeedStep.aml.zip

Vanilla speedstep is for T8300 ONLY, do NOT use it on other CPUs. If you want to include your CPU, you need to dump your CPU0IST table or calculate it yourself. (Here is a good place to start) Decompile the DSDT and replace P-states for your own CPU.

Tested in 10.5.8, not tested in Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the new DSDT. I am having a few problems with it.

Running 10.5.7, smbios.plist sets me up as a macbookpro5,1 and works with the old DSDT fine. I've installed this one and done the following:

Removed the /E/E/Disabler.kext

Removed the /S/L/E/Disabler.kext (yeah I know was in both spots)

Removed /S/L/Extensions.mkext

Boot into single user and I get a Still waiting for root device ...

I put everything back but still use the new DSDT.aml (without as I have a different proc) and get the same result.

Put the old DSDT.aml back and it boots fine.

M1530, bios A12, running 9300 processor, 4GB RAM, intel wireless and Dell 1505 wireless, Yukon 2 etc, booting from external USB.

I'd like to use this one and add my SSDT infor for the 9300 when I figure out the translation from the SSDT.dsl file :)

Thanks,

Brett

If you have Chameleon 2.0 installed, you need to place the DSDT.aml in the /Extra-Folder, else in the root, as you said.

The Terminal-commands are:

(for Chameleon 2.0)

sudo chmod 755 /Extra/DSDT.aml
sudo chown 0:0 /Extra/DSDT.aml

(for every other bootloader)

sudo chmod 755 /DSDT.aml
sudo chown 0:0 /DSDT.aml

And also a thanks from me for the update, Chrysaor!

Some further testing. If I put it on the built-in drive it works, well boots. System Profiler shows up the right information as described.

However no USB devices are found at all, and the biometric reader stop working. Perhaps that is why the USB had issues booting, not sure if it is just my version of the M1530. Any info you want or need let me know and I can grab it!

Thanks for all your hard work, it is brilliant :)

Okay, this is interesting. I thought I'm the only one with problems with the fingerprint sensor. Every.. 2. boot or so, it stops working. Since I don't have any other USB hardware connected, I didn't realize it was a problem of USB.

(Also M1530, T8300)

Chrysaor thanks as well

so I went into a ubuntu live cd, dumped my ACPI tables, got your DSDT.aml, decompiled and edited it to my PSS values from my linux dump

im running snow and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loading successfully however how do I verify that the vanilla speedstep is working?..i've got netkas's cpu-x but its just giving me a stable 2.6GHz is that because c-states arent working?

thanks

tim

Chrysaor - First of all - thanks for the update.

Secondly - I just wanted to make sure I do this correctly - after I install the DSDT to the root file I need to go to the terminal and type SUDO commands - correct? And if so, would you mind re-posting those commands? If this isn't the preferred way please let us know...

Thanks in advance...

Depending on your bootloader, you may need to put it on either /Extra (for PCI_EFI 10, Chameleon 2) or in / (for mackerintel's older Chameleon mod). You don't need to set any permissions for DSDT.

Some further testing. If I put it on the built-in drive it works, well boots. System Profiler shows up the right information as described.

However no USB devices are found at all, and the biometric reader stop working. Perhaps that is why the USB had issues booting, not sure if it is just my version of the M1530. Any info you want or need let me know and I can grab it!

Thanks for all your hard work, it is brilliant :(

Okay, this is interesting. I thought I'm the only one with problems with the fingerprint sensor. Every.. 2. boot or so, it stops working. Since I don't have any other USB hardware connected, I didn't realize it was a problem of USB.

(Also M1530, T8300)

Left side USB ports are not working (fingerprint reader is connected to that bus so it won't work also) is a known random issue, used to happen to me, not exactly sure what causes it. If you are booting from an external USB hdd, it won't work so the waiting for root device is expected.

Try this one, I put the old HPET back so you need Disabler for AICPUPM.

DSDT_M1530_test.zip

Chrysaor thanks as well

so I went into a ubuntu live cd, dumped my ACPI tables, got your DSDT.aml, decompiled and edited it to my PSS values from my linux dump

im running snow and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loading successfully however how do I verify that the vanilla speedstep is working?..i've got netkas's cpu-x but its just giving me a stable 2.6GHz is that because c-states arent working?

thanks

tim

You can verify it with MSR tools.

Sounds like some of you with 1530's have updated to 10.6 already, what success are you having with working/not working pieces? I have a 1330 and was thinking of doing an update off the disc. Anyone advise against this if I back everything up?

Thanks all!