[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

This is the VoodooPS2Controller which makes the media keys work. It has the VoodooPS2keyboard.kext from trip2me's work which I got from the Voodoo projects forum and the VoodooPS2Trackpad which ab__73 modified for the Alps in the M1530s. With this Butler is no longer required.

However,

Butler:

Pros: Play key launches itunes by default (I loved that!!). Media details displayed onscreen when media changes in itunes even with itunes docked. Stop button can be used to toggle fullscreen(same as command-F)

Cons: Another program which runs in the background and starts up at login

VoodooPS2Keyboard:

Pros: "Built In" functionality.

Cons: Does not launch itunes, no onscreen display or fullscreen toggle

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

This is the VoodooPS2Controller which makes the media keys work. It has the VoodooPS2keyboard.kext from trip2me's work which I got from the Voodoo projects forum and the VoodooPS2Trackpad which ab__73 modified for the Alps in the M1530s. With this Butler is no longer required.

However,

Butler:

Pros: Play key launches itunes by default (I loved that!!). Media details displayed onscreen when media changes in itunes even with itunes docked. Stop button can be used to toggle fullscreen(same as command-F)

Cons: Another program which runs in the background and starts up at login

VoodooPS2Keyboard:

Pros: "Built In" functionality.

Cons: Does not launch itunes, no onscreen display or fullscreen toggle

talisman, you should be able to configure Growl to display Now Playing in iTunes, and set up a keyboard shortcut under the Help menu of iTunes for the Stop Button to activate fullscreen view, making VoodooPS2 the better alternative

talisman, you should be able to configure Growl to display Now Playing in iTunes, and set up a keyboard shortcut under the Help menu of iTunes for the Stop Button to activate fullscreen view, making VoodooPS2 the better alternative

Yes, I am aware of these options. If I run growl... I might as well run butler as they both are programs running in the background.... Im simply just lamenting the retirement of a program that served me well...!!

First of all, the new VoodooPS2Keyboard works great on my M1530. After installing from retail and installing all drivers everything is working great. ( except for shutdown / restart obviously)

I do have one question, when scrolling trough large images or pdf files I experience some stuttering.

The weird thing is, I only have trouble with pdf files in Preview and stuttering with images is worse in Firefox than Safari.

Anyone had this problem?

( I did search the forums and Google, but didn't know how to phrase it so couldn't find anything. )

First of all, the new VoodooPS2Keyboard works great on my M1530. After installing from retail and installing all drivers everything is working great. ( except for shutdown / restart obviously)

I do have one question, when scrolling trough large images or pdf files I experience some stuttering.

The weird thing is, I only have trouble with pdf files in Preview and stuttering with images is worse in Firefox than Safari.

Anyone had this problem?

( I did search the forums and Google, but didn't know how to phrase it so couldn't find anything. )

Thanks for the feedback.

I've not had this problem.

Are you having the same problem 2 finger scrolling and side trackpad scrolling?

My code could be refined a bit more but all it doing is sending a wheel scroll command to the standard mouse library, just as if you are using a standard wheel mouse.

It could be speedstep, but that's just a guess.

Does it improve with speedstep disabled?

Could you PM me an example of a file causing the problem?

Let me Rephrase that. Your kext is working superb, because I already had the problem before installing it.

I will try removing the speedstep kext tonight.

An example is:http://gigapica.geenstijl.nl/

Scrolling is very slow there in firefox..

Ok... It's official... 8 Hours of scouring my HDD for the ever so elusive AppleACPIPS2Nub (Or AHCI I can't remember at this time)... Anyways... The official part is that VoodooPS2Controller.kext hates me and my machine... I tried pulling different parts out and putting different parts in... Something about it causes my entire machine to go nuts... It's so bad that on the first reboot after installing the kext I can't use the keyboard to go into my BIOS setup... Now I don't know if that sounds odd to anyone else but that has me worried... What is there some buffer built into the machine that the VoodooPS2Controller.kext file is loading so that the keyboard appears disconnected? LOL I don't want to give up... I know it can be done before I get my retail copy... I mean it is bound to help someone besides me... Do I have some kind of super configuration that no other M1530 has?

Ok here are some basic questions I figured I would ask...

Should I have ACPI (Power Management) enabled in the BIOS (Dunno if this is a selectable option but just wanted to ask in case)

Is it possible there is another ACPI file that is causing me the greatest headache I have ever experienced?

Is the patched DSDT.aml breaking it possibly?

Where would this AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext be located besides the Bermuda Triangle?

And just for fair measure if you tell me my onboard keyboard is broken for some reason and is only doing this because of some insane issue I'll stab you in the throat... :D JK... So anyways just thought I would be just a little more annoying... Hope someone can help... And in turn I can help someone else...

Heratiki

PS: Is anyone familiar with the original PS2Fix for the keyboard and mouse. It's talked about all over the net for issues with Retail all the way to Kalyway...

Let me Rephrase that. Your kext is working superb, because I already had the problem before installing it.

I will try removing the speedstep kext tonight.

An example is:http://gigapica.geenstijl.nl/

Scrolling is very slow there in firefox..

Tried to disable the speedstep kext, no difference noticed.

I did notice when scrolling a large pdf file in preview that cpu utilisation jumps to the full 2100 mhz my t8100 processor is capable of.

I'm guessing that's not normal performance is it.. :D

There's no video problem either because world of warcraft and all the osx animations work flawlessy.

The osx layout / gui is supposed to be build of pdf files isn't it? That would make the problem even weirder.

I've included an example of a heavy pdf file and I would appreciate it if somebody took the time to test it.

Ok... It's official... 8 Hours of scouring.... .....all the way to Kalyway.

I've experienced the same problem that my keyboard would not work anymore and I had to pull the battery several times.

This was caused by, at least for me, not having installed the sleep kext which would cause my laptop to crash and put itself off when entering sleep.

After installing the kext, I've never had this problem anymore. You might want to look into it, would be an easy fix. ;)

subwaymap.pdf

This was caused by, at least for me, not having installed the sleep kext which would cause my laptop to crash and put itself off when entering sleep.

After installing the kext, I've never had this problem anymore. You might want to look into it, would be an easy fix. ;)

Which kext is this? Also after rebooting and getting the correct kext in there it is fixed after a reboot. I'm not that familiar with the Sleep kext... After installing the DSDT.aml earlier in this thread I haven't had any issues with sleep or anything of that nature... Could be a possible fix for my issue though as VoodooPS2Controller should work for me... Sigh... As a side not I have VoodooPower.kext and VoodooBattery.kext installed... Though I don't think that could be causing an issue... There is some kext somewhere that is making calls to the now deleted ApplePS2Keyboard and ApplePS2Mouse after I have deleted everything and installed VoodooPS2Controller... So as I have not found the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext I am sure there is something else making the calls... Just can't figure it out... AppleACPIPlatform? Ugh...

Heratiki

My sleep would not work without VoodooUSBEHCI.kext, this can be downloaded from:

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

Please follow the readme carefully.

I do have to say it only fixed the no keyboard in bios issue, don't know if it can possibly solve your issue, but it's worth a try.

As for my issue, I'm thinking of saving al the needed kexts beforehand and doing a fresh install, maybe with an EFI partition, but I would need to read up a bit first.

But that's all for tommorow, because now its time to take a nap as it is almost 1AM here.

Which kext is this? Also after rebooting and getting the correct kext in there it is fixed after a reboot. I'm not that familiar with the Sleep kext... After installing the DSDT.aml earlier in this thread I haven't had any issues with sleep or anything of that nature... Could be a possible fix for my issue though as VoodooPS2Controller should work for me... Sigh... As a side not I have VoodooPower.kext and VoodooBattery.kext installed... Though I don't think that could be causing an issue... There is some kext somewhere that is making calls to the now deleted ApplePS2Keyboard and ApplePS2Mouse after I have deleted everything and installed VoodooPS2Controller... So as I have not found the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext I am sure there is something else making the calls... Just can't figure it out... AppleACPIPlatform? Ugh...

Seems like an extremely annoyed Heratiki...!!

ok....any kext with a "PS2" in it needs to be deleted before you can install the voodooPS2.... how about a "ls | grep PS2" in S/L/E and in /Extra... but you might have already done that. Delete Extensions.mkext 10 times.... and you've already done that.... reboot with a -f -v option.... done that to...!!

For an older solution to PS2.... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1010811

and yes... try updating your BIOS if it is not updated already.... not that it can solve much.... but in times of war, every hole is a trench..!!

I am in over my head...I've got an xps 1530 and have tried several different retail installs (macLoader being the only setup that got me past a boot screen), applied the 10.5.7 combo update, and am completely stuck. I've spent three days straight trying to figure out kexts, EFIs, fricking terminal commands and chmods...

right now i really just want to just throw the pos out the window and call it a night. why isn't there one walk-through for the m1530 that i can use to set up a retail osx install?? if anyone knows where i can find one, please help. thanks.

right now i really just want to just throw the pos out the window and call it a night. why isn't there one walk-through for the m1530 that i can use to set up a retail osx install?? if anyone knows where i can find one, please help. thanks.

This is the only place you will find one and its the best one around... no one said OS X is easy to get going on a PC.... Print the first two posts of this thread... get some good coffee... lean back on the couch and give it a good read...

Also look for the list of things that you need to make this work and put them together....

Look here for a list: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1198258

Best of Luck...!!

ps. Once you have succeeded, write a walk through which is easier to follow. Then you might be able to appreciate the kind of effort people like wingrunr21 has put into putting together a guide like this, something which was not required of them.

Seems like an extremely annoyed Heratiki...!!

ok....any kext with a "PS2" in it needs to be deleted before you can install the voodooPS2.... how about a "ls | grep PS2" in S/L/E and in /Extra... but you might have already done that. Delete Extensions.mkext 10 times.... and you've already done that.... reboot with a -f -v option.... done that to...!!

For an older solution to PS2.... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1010811

and yes... try updating your BIOS if it is not updated already.... not that it can solve much.... but in times of war, every hole is a trench..!!

HOLY MISSING KEXT FILES BATMAN... I found it... Under AppleACPIPlatform.kext... It's in the Plugins Folder... Deleted it.. And FFScroll and FFScrollDaemon and ApplePS2Controller.kext and the config files for FFScroll... Then rebooted for glorious Two Finger Scrolling and NOOOO... KERNEL PANIC... LOL... Should have known deleting AppleACPIPlatform.kext was a bad thing... LOL... Ok... So to save my machine I boot into Vista with MacDrive and Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext in extensions... And then at the same time deleted AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext within AppleACPIPlatform.kext (BTW Sorry for being a complete and utter noob and posting like a mad man because I didn't know what the H**L I was talking about Talisman *wink*)... Rebooted... Crossed Fingers... OMG IT BOOTS... OMG... KEYBOARD and MOUSE WORK... Two finger Scrolling... I am a GOD... Two Fingers... Awwww man... Nothing... LOL So that's where I am... Hope atleast someone will laugh... Will let you know how it goes...

Heratiki

EDIT: Ok... Redownloaded the Trackpad Pref Page and replaced it and low and behold it was available in System Prefs again... Setup Two Finger scrolling in there... AND BAM!!!... I'm so happy you couldn't slap the smile of my face... Now I will test the Media Buttons and hope they work as well... w00t...

SECOND EDIT: Let's see... Everything is working perfectly (Aside from Shutdown and Restart). Now even two finger scrolling is easy to do... Sometimes when I put it to sleep I can't tap click with the Touchpad but its as easy as opening the trackpad options and turning off tap clicking and turning it back on... So no biggie there... Only one of my media keys works and that's to skip forward in a song... Hitting play when you have a song selected simply sets it so you can edit the song name... I'm sure I'll figure it out... Should be interesting... Anyone have any ideas on the Media Keys would be nice to get my IR Remote working correctly since it's hard coded into the BIOS to mimic keyboard commands (amazing how many people don't know that).

Ok... in all your jubilation... I lost track of whether you are using VoodooPS2 or PS2Controller_PS2Nub combination...!!

If you use VoodooPS2, then remove all of FFScroll and if you have the latest (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=119654&view=findpost&p=1201564) you will have both two finger scroll and Media Keys... and working tapping after sleep.

If you are using the PS2Controller_PS2Nub combination, look in sonotones package (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0E79VFD) for the media keys option. I am attaching the installer that works for me.... the laters ones didn't (don't know why).But use this ONLY IF you are not using VoodooPS2 because it will reinstall the PS2Controller kext, an application called Butler and a config file....

by the way, why were you using a modded AppleACPIPlatform...??

just wanted to come in and say thanks to everyone trying to figure this out. with the manual shut down of the dell, i'm a bit worried that the hard drive won't get parked correctly and it may damage the hard drive. i've had to warranty one dell m1530 and one lenovo s10 in the past because of hard drive issues. now, maybe that was just me, but i have an m1330 right now and would love to get this set up but am worried about the shutdown issue.

Ok... in all your jubilation... I lost track of whether you are using VoodooPS2 or PS2Controller_PS2Nub combination...!!

If you use VoodooPS2, then remove all of FFScroll and if you have the latest (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=119654&view=findpost&p=1201564) you will have both two finger scroll and Media Keys... and working tapping after sleep.

If you are using the PS2Controller_PS2Nub combination, look in sonotones package (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0E79VFD) for the media keys option. I am attaching the installer that works for me.... the laters ones didn't (don't know why).But use this ONLY IF you are not using VoodooPS2 because it will reinstall the PS2Controller kext, an application called Butler and a config file....

by the way, why were you using a modded AppleACPIPlatform...??

I am using VoodooPS2Controller.kext I'm hoping that I have removed every last bit of FFScroll and FFScrollDaemon... Even the setup files have been removed... I'm pretty sure I wasn't using a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext... But when doing a massive search across the whole drive the only AppleACPIPS2Nub I found was resting inside AppleACPIPlatform... I deleted it and low and behold my problems did cease... It is possible that I don't have the latest VoodooPS2 and there is also that I installed the VoodooPS2 package off the Voodoo developers website so that might be causing issues... Will let ya know and hope that fixes my issues... Thanx...

Heratiki

just wanted to come in and say thanks to everyone trying to figure this out. with the manual shut down of the dell, i'm a bit worried that the hard drive won't get parked correctly and it may damage the hard drive. i've had to warranty one dell m1530 and one lenovo s10 in the past because of hard drive issues. now, maybe that was just me, but i have an m1330 right now and would love to get this set up but am worried about the shutdown issue.

From watching mine shut down with the -v option turned on it appears that all drives are unmounted and the system is halted but something in the kernel is latching on causing the system to not fully shut off... As far as hard drive parking if the system isn't being used the auto park should engage on a laptop... And one sure fire way of keeping the hard drive from being damaged is not shake the machine around LOL... But I'm sure your not doing that... Usually through OSx and Linux when a system unmounts a drive it suspends it's activity first which parks the read head... But I'm not 100% sure... Hope this helps...

Heratiki

Ok... You were right Talisman... After installing the newest version of VoodooPS2Controller from your link I am up and running 100% (Aside from the Shutdown Restart Issues)... So I am rockin... Going to create a PDF on my other laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100) while I install iPC and Retail and then attempt to upload... We need a place where all of the data stored here is together and is kept up to date... Maybe a wiki site... OSXPS Wiki... Something silly like that... Deal only in Dell and OSx86... I don't know... Thank you for all the help... I'll will troll here regularly and let you know if there are any further issues and attempt to help others at the same time... I check this place every day... LOL

Heratiki

I am using VoodooPS2Controller.kext I'm hoping that I have removed every last bit of FFScroll and FFScrollDaemon... Even the setup files have been removed... I'm pretty sure I wasn't using a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext... But when doing a massive search across the whole drive the only AppleACPIPS2Nub I found was resting inside AppleACPIPlatform... I deleted it and low and behold my problems did cease... It is possible that I don't have the latest VoodooPS2 and there is also that I installed the VoodooPS2 package off the Voodoo developers website so that might be causing issues... Will let ya know and hope that fixes my issues... Thanx...

Heratiki

From watching mine shut down with the -v option turned on it appears that all drives are unmounted and the system is halted but something in the kernel is latching on causing the system to not fully shut off... As far as hard drive parking if the system isn't being used the auto park should engage on a laptop... And one sure fire way of keeping the hard drive from being damaged is not shake the machine around LOL... But I'm sure your not doing that... Usually through OSx and Linux when a system unmounts a drive it suspends it's activity first which parks the read head... But I'm not 100% sure... Hope this helps...

Heratiki

Ok... You were right Talisman... After installing the newest version of VoodooPS2Controller from your link I am up and running 100% (Aside from the Shutdown Restart Issues)... So I am rockin... Going to create a PDF on my other laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100) while I install iPC and Retail and then attempt to upload... We need a place where all of the data stored here is together and is kept up to date... Maybe a wiki site... OSXPS Wiki... Something silly like that... Deal only in Dell and OSx86... I don't know... Thank you for all the help... I'll will troll here regularly and let you know if there are any further issues and attempt to help others at the same time... I check this place every day... LOL

Heratiki

Hi Heratiki, so you've guys been using this for a while without any problems? That sounds great, in that case I might just give it one more try. I guess for anyone really worried, they should do a backup every now and then in case anything crashes. When do you think you'll be done with the PDF? That'd be very useful.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've not had this problem.

Are you having the same problem 2 finger scrolling and side trackpad scrolling?

My code could be refined a bit more but all it doing is sending a wheel scroll command to the standard mouse library, just as if you are using a standard wheel mouse.

It could be speedstep, but that's just a guess.

Does it improve with speedstep disabled?

Could you PM me an example of a file causing the problem?

finally got trackpad working thanks to this forum ;)

my issues are likely related to my installation of ffscroll and 120302 other ps2 kexts which i likely did no fully remove :) (i used spotlight to search for ps2 and ffscroll and the only hit is the voodoops2.kext how else do i uninstall?)

1. voodoops2 pref panel crashes out, with synpaticsnotfound... if i hit ok, its takes down the pref panel

2. tapping doesnt work? its enabled in the pref panel that doesnt stay open more than 1 click :D

3. two finger works and the touchpad is at least useable.. thanks everyone here.

After playing around with my freshly installed system, I noticed the same stuttering with PDF files. So that didn't solve the problem.

I was searching for a way to fix it when i found the following:

(Link deleted, see last post)

I decided to try it and I noticed the Read / Write speeds of my osx installation increased to the extreme. Normally when I wanted to add music to my Itunes library it went very slow. After installing this kext it goes lightning fast.

I know its not a real test, but I have only just installed it and will do a geekbench tommorow. Now it's time for bed, work is waiting again..

P.s. It didn't solve the pdf issue, so I'm still looking for a solution for that.

P.s. It didn't solve the pdf issue, so I'm still looking for a solution for that.

First: Thanks for the link, I'll try it.

The "PDF issue" is not a problem of our hacks. I tried scrolling the "subwaymap.pdf" on my real iMac (with 10.6, 10A411) and it's also stuttering in Preview.

Edit:

I installed the linked kext, but I don't see a real change. I made one test before installing and two tests after with XBench, and there is (except for variing results) no huge difference.

ioatafamily.th.png

First: Thanks for the link, I'll try it.

The "PDF issue" is not a problem of our hacks. I tried scrolling the "subwaymap.pdf" on my real iMac (with 10.6, 10A411) and it's also stuttering in Preview.

Edit:

I installed the linked kext, but I don't see a real change. I made one test before installing and two tests after with XBench, and there is (except for variing results) no huge difference.

ioatafamily.th.png

Thanks for trying out the pdf file, I now know that preview just sucks.

One reboot after the kext my system crashed, so I don't recommend anybody using it. Speed increase was most likely only a relative thing.

Thanks for the informative thread wingrunr21, and the DSDT.aml from Brandon2004 and Chrysaor. It has been a long while since I got the Mac up and running on the XPS M1530, and my previous guide is now completely obsolete :)

I've got a 10.5.7 system running off Chameleon 2.0RC1 dual booting with Vista SP2, but I have a question, I've seen a lot of people use Chameleon on its own, but then some people switch to PC EFI v10 by replacing the boot file; if anyone with experience can tell me, does it make a noticeable difference on this system?

Cheers,

P.

I've seen a lot of people use Chameleon on its own, but then some people switch to PC EFI v10 by replacing the boot file; if anyone with experience can tell me, does it make a noticeable difference on this system?

I am using the Chameleon rc1 and PC_EFI v10 combination. There is no noticeable difference in leopard. The difference is supposed to be noticeable in SL with the possibility of booting a 64 bit kernel.

I am using the Chameleon rc1 and PC_EFI v10 combination. There is no noticeable difference in leopard. The difference is supposed to be noticeable in SL with the possibility of booting a 64 bit kernel.

PC_EFI 10 fixes Firewire "full-secure" slow down issue.